The Gym Group Management reviews

Just dont work here
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Blackpool30 April 2019
They will categorically tell you that you're self employed, yet make you go above and beyond for them on your weekly shifts that go towards your rent (including plunging toilets), in their contract package, they say they will help market your product, however all you get is a tiny board on the wall and the odd Facebook post, as opposed to other gyms that provide an agent to help you meet personal targets, there is nothing like that here. Management doesn't care hugely about their staff, threatening to terminate your contract with no notice, hence their ridiculous turnover rate of staff. There is often a highly toxic and unprofessional atmosphere in this place of work causing a divide amongst staff members whether it is cleaners, fitness instructors, work-ex or management.
Pros
Cons
Virtually no support from the company.
Former Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Harrow Wealdstone22 April 2019
Poor management team. There is no mutual respect between the team or management. It felt like they are their for socialising. Any member can come and sit in the office flirting or sitting on manger chair. When the door bell rings they don’t get up from the chair and waits for PT to response. Manger are too busy doing their own business eg clothing line, promoting their business in social media. PT are just their to clean and do the class. Dont put people who doesn’t know how to run the club, please hire competent people who we can lookup as role model.
Pros
Non
Poor company
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 December 2018
The company is OK to work for as you can work on a 13 hour contract and the money you then earn on top of personal training is your own. Management are relatively nice, but like all management have clear favouritism within the team.
Pros
Nice staff
job work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Shirley, West Midlands26 September 2018
yes good gym to work for, management are good, good equipment and classes are good but additional classes should introduced to give members more choice
Normal
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Derby1 September 2018
A typical day at work was making sure all the machines were safe to use, making sure that the fire alarm was working correctly. Throughout my time working at the gym group I learned how to communicate with new people and i learned how to check a fire alarm. The management at the gym group was overall ok. The hardest part of the job was waiting around waiting for something to do because you've completed al your jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job was going out to do promo this was fun because you got to get out of the gym and see different scenery.
Pros
Promo
Cons
Productive and fun workplace!
Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire9 August 2018
When i first started was a bit scary as i was new in the industry but everyone there was friendly and cool!
Great management and lovely team!
Productive and fun workplace!
Love it! 5 stars
Entertaining experiences
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow, Greater London1 August 2018
Typically I would be cleaning all the equipment in the gym, making sure everything is tidy and assisting customers. This was very enjoyable. I learned that a gym is a lot more complicated than it looks. One of my friends was doing the same 2-week work placement as me and came in with the same attitude, however he was kicked out by management on his first day, so overall that couldn’t be improved on. The culture was very diverse, people from every ethnic background possible. The hardest part of the job was moving the heavy weights, this was very difficult as the biggest dumbbell I could lift was 16kg before I started, when I finished I was moving 40kg dumbbells, even if it took me forever and I used both hands, I was still proud of myself. The most enjoyable part of this was meeting new people and building my confidence up.
Pros
Good experience, lots of enjoyable memories.
Cons
Management was overly strict, too much heavy lifting.
A great place to work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Colindale14 July 2018
A typical day at work required cleaning machines, taking care of the gym, assisting gym members as well as training clients. Working in a gym creates a lot more self confidence and teaches you on how to communicate with different people on a daily basis. Management was great, very organised and disciplined. Culture was fantastic, enjoyed working there as a team. Had a brilliant team around me.
CEO says one thing to MP's But the company enforce their own hidden rules
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 March 2018
So I started working at the gym group and I was aware about all the press putting pressure on The Gym Group's CEO about how they treat their Personal Trainers. Nonetheless, I was invited to an interview and offered a job. Upon singing the contract I made the AGM aware that I am planning to work at another gym in my own time as well as here and he replied with 'We don't allow out PT's to train at other gyms' I was a little puzzled as to why, when their CEO clearly stated in the letter which was sent to an MP stating the gym group do not restrict their PT's from working at other gyms as they are self-employed and can work where ever they want as long as they maintain their schedule and responsibilities with the gym group as agreed upon during the interview process. Secondly, I had to pay for my uniform which was fine as it was expected but the quality of the uniform was absolutely atrocious. So I asked if I could get some nice quality tapered joggers with the gym group logo made and I was told 'No' once again, when I asked why I was once again told 'We don't allow it' It seems like the company do not care about staff or their opinion but just want to maintain control and go with the plan which is already in place even if it no longer yields the best results.

Final opinion, do not work for The Gym Group there are many better choices out there. They do not want to flexible or care about what you want from them as a Personal Trainer, all they care about is their sales and free classes and free hours they can get from all of us new PT's.
Pros
Only have to commit 13 hours/week for no rent.
Cons
Everything else.
Active
self-employed Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk10 January 2018
Coming from a distance to work in the city it can become challenging but with management have helped agree on a good time shift in order to work effectively. The gym group is a good environment for those starting out in the industry
Wonderful place to work
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire14 April 2017
The management were as helpful as possible to get my business up and running. I learnt how to run a business and how to overcome certain problems. A lot of effort must be put in to make money.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Self Employed
High Staff Turnover
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London10 February 2017
The Finance Department at The Gym Group must improve the working environment in order to keep staff on a long-term basis.
Pros
New offices
Cons
Long hours, poor management
its ok
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, UK31 January 2017
your not working for the gym group
your working for yourself the way this works
depending on the size of gym you have to do 10-13per week these hours are spilt in to shifts this NOT paid this is your rent
in this time you need to do the following
tours
sign-up targets no commission
2 x class
cleaning
outside leafleting
door to door leafleting
you also need to pay for your uniform too.
you dont see management as there always in the office doing paperwork

when building you business you will find the work life balance very hard.
Pros
no bill at the end of your month
Cons
late nights, can be on your own slow at times christmas, management need more support
Fun, relaxed and friendly
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 December 2016
Friendly team. Clean gym and Always well maintained. Willing to be flexible around life and the personal trainers needs.
Pros
Relaxed shift
Cons
Strict management
Life of a Self Employed Personal Trainer
freelance personal trainer operating (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne9 December 2016
The gym itself is a enjoyable company to work for and has many advantages due to not having to pay Gym rent, however there are some issue being a low budget gym there can be a lack of potential clients which can often mean competitive pricing and under valuing the service of a personal trainer. The work job balance in in your own hands you can do very little and are likely to reap very little in return of clients or work hard and it will pay off but you lose some of the work life balance. Management i have worked with are excellent and very likeable, however do wish there was more support particularly for new personal trainers as the high turn over of staff means it feels you are always short to some degree. Advancements i am sure are decent and security is really based on whether you are making enough as a self employed trainer.
Pros
No Gym Rent
Cons
Work / Life balance
great clients not great co-workers
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kingston9 February 2015
I worked as a personal trainer, therefore was self employed, I would have to train many different ages and types of people. As a form of rent I had to work 14 hours a week which I did struggle with as thats a lot of time spent without making any money leaving not much time to find my own clients and earn my own money. This was my first personal training job therefore I began to learn what worked and what didn't and what many people use a personal trainer for. The managementt team I didn't find where very helpful or fair and made my working time their uneasy, The hardest part of the job was being self employed, having to find my own clients and not being very financially stable as the ammount of clients could depend on the season. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people reach their goals and progressing in my career.
Pros
Learning and moving forward
Cons
being self employed and working many hours unpaid.
a lot of hours
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, SCT1 December 2014
can be worth the effort, Management and set up are fantastic. Unfortunately you can never know how busy you are going to be. other pts are great but sometimes competitive feeling overtakes. hardest part of the job is organising and re-scheduling all of your clients. Its a nice gym to work. you only work 12 hours for them as rent and rest of the time its up to you!
unprofessional, horrible invironment
cleaner (Former Employee) –  farnborough5 February 2014
I would not recommend this job to any 1 at all, I have worked for them and was extremely unhappy with the work ethnic, the management was completely unprofessional, co workers were unfriendly.

I Learned that I would never work for them again and the best part of my day was leaving to go home.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything