The Gym Group

The Gym Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom120 reviews
I would recommend working for the gym group or within the fitness industry if you have a passion to help people and are able to run your own business with minimal support and help. I personally enjoy the role and do not need much help in running a day to day business but if you do struggle to be business-minded this may not be the career for you unless your willing to learn and adapt in order to become successful.
Great place to work with good work/social life balance. Always welcoming & developing opportunities provided by managers. Excellent business! Would highly recommend any PT to try this company.
As a regional manager i find the role really rewarding and engaging with a team of GMs and AGMS. Every day is different and has a different challenge and i have found my own skills developing to match.
Management does not care about anything apart of signing up new members. What ever you would ask them, they will just ignore you, in any suitable for them situation they make your job even more complicated
As a PT I did more cleaning of equipment than any other job on my working hours. The pay doesn’t even cover the cost if you have any other taxable income. You have to pay more to cover the dividends. Because they pay you, they can ask you to do all the cleaning. Not much respect or support for PT’s. HQ rules and regulation very unclear and everything is left down to management on site. No uniform set of directions apart from cleaning. Highly competitive environment with no team mind set. Everyman left out for themselves. You are classed as a self employed PT so your business is yours!, most members thought I was a cleaner and didn’t approach me as respected PT.
its a good place to work
its fun to work their

great staff members good opportunities to learn and grow there from new starting personal trainers. good
Some or the question on this review are not really applicable to pt’s as self employed, it’s a competitive industry you need to work to build your client base but it can be done.
A fast paced environment which sees a large amount of customers on a daily from morning to evening, healthy and safe environment where you are guided and trained to become productive in the acquired area you are given. I have learnt to associate with other workers and how to deal with a range of customers in a fast paced environment. Great management who helped to guide me through each step during early stages. The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult customers which will be seen in every job but I have learnt to deal with difficult customers more efficiently. I enjoyed gaining new skills and experiences and working along new people.
Since I was working in work experience my job was to rack the dumbbell and plates in the gym and to make sure everything is how it's supposed to be with bars and other equipment. Also I was sent out to hand out leaflets around as part of the Job.
Typical day starts from collecting weights and communicating with members of the gym. Completing the check sheets like emergency fire exits,First Aid kit restock, toilets checks, equipments failure. After all those duties I have to check for classes how many members are going to come, if there's any 1:1 personal training workouts. Consistently walking around the gym to ensure equipments in good and safe condition, if members are happy and if needed solving the problem.I have learned to be active and multitasking, be able to solve issues and complaints. To make sure everything runs smoothly while I am on duty. Teaching great classes, receiving good and positive feedback from members.
I do enjoy working in this gym, friendly and easy-going staff members and always willing to help. Hardest part of this job is to make sure health and safety is on, as many people leaving weights, and personal belongings middle of the gym so consistently need to remind and make sure the rules are followed.

Most enjoyable part of the day for me would be doing classes, I do like fitness and even happier teach classes
Clean equipment, do their classes, if you have time to walk around the gym take it, as you don't get much time to talk with people and grow your business except in your own time which you'll be using for the clients you may get if the managers are nice enough to recommend you for a session or two.
Hardest part is dealing with a messy gym if the one on shift hasn't be arsed to walk around doing so, while you're with a client which eats into your time together.

The most enjoyable part is having free rain at the gym when you're not on shift.
When working for TGG I found that the environment was comfortable and made it very easy to work there. What I also found was the personal trainers who worked the hardest and spend the most effective time in the gym, were the more successful PTs.
Got to meet members of staff from different sectors of the organisation and got a chance to develop and enhance various skills so it was an absolute pleasure to have had work experience at the company. I got to meet and help clients during instructor lessons whilst participating in sessions for myself. I got to advice clients and help around the gym in maintenance to ensure all machines and equipment are in place for health and safety reasons. Got free personal trainer advice also and got a chance to do leaflets etc.Working at the gym group was awesome, i managed to increase my own health and fitness and also help others. I helped organised equipment and tidy up.
I did work experience at the Gym Group for my course but it helped me develop many skills such as making customers feel comfortable. I also learned how to cope with the work environment and with stand the demands of the environment
I worked there for a few months for work experience while i was at college. The location was close towards my home and gave me very fair hours and work days. I don't know what the salary was like because i was there temporarily.
Pros
Can take a break at anytime, good hours, fair bosses, close to home
Cons
Very quiet in the gym
Rewarding working as a personal trainer, but only get what you put in like any other self employed job, a lot of members to gain potential clients but at the same time your not the only one there trying to get them.
As the fitness instructor for the first box gym in Newark and a member for 5+ years using a number of their sites here is my experience. The gym group as a company are a great company to work for to gain experience and build a buisness, as a personal trainer ( depending on which manager you have ) and it is a great gym to workout in especially if you travel. However as a fitness instructor which is a new role the gym group have introduced for the small box gyms, you spend most of your time cleaning and checking the showers, changing rooms and machines. The majority of the time you work long shift alone and the rest of the time you are the manager's ( who's is very fickle ) personal assistant. You are basically doing an assistant manager's role on a fitness instructors pay. There isn't much time spent working with or helping members with their fitness, except when you teach the free classes, so not much actual fitness instructing involved.
Now just another rehash of others like LA fit first before...
Great on self praise and telling each other how good they are.

Rather than the reality

Hit or miss on location

Same safe sites some sites deal with knives drugs intimidation society issues low intelligent users... is this what you wamt?
I done my work experience with the gym group. When i arrived at the gym i had to wait outside for 10 minutes for someone to let me in. When i entered the gym i was greeted in a very unprofessional manner by a very rude woman she then told me to clean the whole gym from top to bottom when i was actually there to learn about personal training and helping people achieve their goals.
I have decided to leave because I was offended by an aggressive member who was our managers friend, they did nothing to the member. Another colegue was aggressive to me, this one friend of the manager as well. I was aggresed two times and nobody did anything, this is unacceptable, poor management, lack of security, lack of communication... Really disappointing experience!
a really competitive environment where new trainers start or leave every 6 weeks. good members but poor management that tend to pit you against each other by saying things like there where be a restructure so 2 of the 15 of you will have to leave by the end of this year, then after 1 month the 2 that got pushed out then get replaced.