The Gym Group Employee Reviews

Former Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Harrow Wealdstone22 April 2019
Poor management team. There is no mutual respect between the team or management. It felt like they are their for socialising. Any member can come and sit in the office flirting or sitting on manger chair. When the door bell rings they don’t get up from the chair and waits for PT to response. Manger are too busy doing their own business eg clothing line, promoting their business in social media. PT are just their to clean and do the class. Dont put people who doesn’t know how to run the club, please hire competent people who we can lookup as role model.
Pros
Non
fun
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 April 2019
Being able to talk to different client
Being able to interact with everyone
I have learned to be more confident around adults and being able to talk to them
Cons
Not impressed with their management of people style
People Advisor (Former Employee) –  East Croydon5 April 2019
Didn't stay here very long as was not aligned with my personal values. Culture of just under 2y service dismissals, not acting within guidance of ACAS.

However, nice office and working style laptop and mobile etc
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Lack of care for people
Fun and mentally produtive
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Manor House Station4 February 2019
I worked alongside a well known personal trainer at my gym, who taught me as well as trained me, from there I picked up a few clients and gained experience as a personal trainer. The job is fun, as well as hardwork and my skills in motivation and determination have massively improved, this also motivates my clients.
Pros
Fun, get fit, meet new people, well paid job
Cons
usually working around other peoples schedules and can work all ours of the day
Fast Paced and Sector Leading Operator
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  London23 January 2019
A continually growing and evolving business. As a Manager within the business you are left to operate the business in an entrepreneurial manner and you stand and die by your decisions.
Relaxing and Network people
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London16 January 2019
I love it The Gym Lewisham is the BEST ever I work as Personal Trainer (PT) because I choose when I want to take break as many I like also sometimes I get free sport drinks from my managers & play games stress free work lifestyle much better than 9 to 5 job also big time better than office work.
Pros
I choose when I want to take breaks, network with people, no stress, I charge clients made very good money.
Cons
Hours unpaid & lack of my business advertising in their gym
Great work place
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrow on the Hill11 January 2019
A great company to work for that give great flexibility and opportunity to run your gym effectively.
Gyms are always bright and fun for members to enjoy. Teams are always willing to help, with a great progression path for most to follow.
I had a great work life balance and enjoyed my time with them very much.
Poor company
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 December 2018
The company is OK to work for as you can work on a 13 hour contract and the money you then earn on top of personal training is your own. Management are relatively nice, but like all management have clear favouritism within the team.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
excellent place to gain experience
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 December 2018
excellent place to work,good management very positive atmosphere, met some really nice people,very clean facility,my role there was amazing weather it was training a client or taking a class it was very enjoyable.
Fun workplace
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Trafalgar Square26 October 2018
It was a fun enjoyable experience even though I was not paid I was given free personal training session with top qualified personal trainers. I learned various exercises to help strengthen and build muscle.
Pros
Fun, was able to use gym free of charge
Cons
Not really enough work
Good place to work`
Gym Instructor/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  London21 October 2018
It is a good place to work if you really care about fitness and helping others achieve their fitness goals.The staff are kind and fun to work with so it doesn't really feel like work.
fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 October 2018
i only worked there for work experience which i had really fun at and would of done it again. it helped me how a business runs and how to work in the environment i was set in.
job work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Shirley, West Midlands26 September 2018
yes good gym to work for, management are good, good equipment and classes are good but additional classes should introduced to give members more choice
enjoyable and rewaeding
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 September 2018
Great company to work for and to build a business from as clients and members can vary on a daily and even monthly basis. Always chances to progress PT business further
Pros
free use of the gym
Cons
long hours at times
Amazing experience as a work experience
Staff member in work experience (Former Employee) –  London24 September 2018
I have to do all the work that a PT do normally. But i were not allowed to help people with training or other aspects but I could see other pt trainings with the clients.
Normal
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Derby1 September 2018
A typical day at work was making sure all the machines were safe to use, making sure that the fire alarm was working correctly. Throughout my time working at the gym group I learned how to communicate with new people and i learned how to check a fire alarm. The management at the gym group was overall ok. The hardest part of the job was waiting around waiting for something to do because you've completed al your jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job was going out to do promo this was fun because you got to get out of the gym and see different scenery.
Pros
Promo
glorified caretaker
Personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Dartford15 August 2018
In this job you are required to spend the majority of your shift cleaning and tidying the gym, dealing with customer queries and less time actually training and people and running classes
Productive and fun workplace!
Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire9 August 2018
When i first started was a bit scary as i was new in the industry but everyone there was friendly and cool!
Great management and lovely team!
Productive and fun workplace!
Love it! 5 stars
Entertaining experiences
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow, Greater London1 August 2018
Typically I would be cleaning all the equipment in the gym, making sure everything is tidy and assisting customers. This was very enjoyable. I learned that a gym is a lot more complicated than it looks. One of my friends was doing the same 2-week work placement as me and came in with the same attitude, however he was kicked out by management on his first day, so overall that couldn’t be improved on. The culture was very diverse, people from every ethnic background possible. The hardest part of the job was moving the heavy weights, this was very difficult as the biggest dumbbell I could lift was 16kg before I started, when I finished I was moving 40kg dumbbells, even if it took me forever and I used both hands, I was still proud of myself. The most enjoyable part of this was meeting new people and building my confidence up.
Pros
Good experience, lots of enjoyable memories.
Cons
Management was overly strict, too much heavy lifting.
A great place to work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Colindale14 July 2018
A typical day at work required cleaning machines, taking care of the gym, assisting gym members as well as training clients. Working in a gym creates a lot more self confidence and teaches you on how to communicate with different people on a daily basis. Management was great, very organised and disciplined. Culture was fantastic, enjoyed working there as a team. Had a brilliant team around me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Gym Group. Our community is ready to answer.