The Dune Group Employee Reviews

Bad pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex29 November 2019
Pay is awful for the amount of lifting and packing you do. Basically want a courier, the amount of lifting hurts your back and they still expect more from you
Don’t do it
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds28 November 2019
Terrible management and unrealistic expectations. Judgemental and unfriendly. Set in their ways and unable to adapt to new and profitable ideas which makes no sense. They have very little regard for their staff and I would never recommend working there.
Awful
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom28 October 2019
Do not work at Dune! The management is atrocious and their is SO much negativity and back stabbing. I wouldn’t recommend it at all. I worked at an airport store though so that didn’t help with the shift times but even so they took no regard for having to come in an hour earlier to get through security etc. The pay was awful (barely above minimum wage) and they had no care for staff that weren’t supervisors (even though I worked more hours than there supervisors) and wanted to go up to become supervisor, and had multiple customer reviews on how good I was and how I was consistently their top sales person, they refused but had no good reason for that as I have previous experience as management in other workplaces. Very bitter lazy management who would rather delegate than to show the way by example. Training is non existent but they give you written warnings if you dont do something right (even when they don’t tell you in the first place, but you can’t say anything against that or you’ll be in their bad books and then get the worst shifts etc). Favouritism is RIFE. The prettier someone is the better chance they will get treated well by the management.
Pros
Discounts on shoes
Cons
Awful management
Productive and fun workplace
Warehouse operator (Former Employee) –  Leicester11 October 2019
I really enjoyed working there, most of my colleagues were helpful and friendly towards me and other employees. The supervisors are very nice, I learnt a lot from this workplace.
Flexible, fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom9 October 2019
(DEBENHAMS CONCESSION) I highly enjoy working here, as there is a lot of independence with quite a few teamwork opportunities as well. I usually find that it is either really busy or really quiet, but that is usually quite nice as it gives you the opportunity to adjust your work tasks per each shift. The only downsides are that I feel that career advancement can be quite challenging and that for the work you do, you could be paid more as the commission percentage is quite low.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, independence, great teams, commission
Cons
Low commission %, wage could be higher, can be stressful when working alone
Was great at first
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  UK21 June 2019
The discount was fantastic and the team was lovely to work with
The pay wasn't great, no real career progression
Difficult to book holidays as only one manager can be off at a time
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay wasn't great, no real training given
Amazing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne14 May 2019
The staff you work alongside are friendly and always help each other. The management are always helpful with any issues that you have and make sure you are happy in the job your doing and the hours that you are working. The benefits that come alongside the job are also really good.
Above peers in footwear retail
Mens Buying & Sourcing Director (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 May 2019
A great company made up of many truly talented people, retailing in a very demanding and changing environment. Striving to grow and improve market share.
Managers think they have power over anyone
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Belfast6 January 2019
Use to work here as supervisor and left to lack of support, unhelpful managers and disrespectful behaviour. Only good thing was free uniform n 50% discount.
Working long hours without a proper break, no praise for good efforts and if the smallest thing was done wrong they would let you know. No respect at all, your just a nunber. Shoes itself are always faulty, always getting refunds and unhappy customers. HR team werent much help either when looking advice. I personally wouldnt waste my time with the company nor spending money on the company. I dont need a reply from HR team either, thanks
Pros
Discount
Cons
management, not fun
Fun retail enviorment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester14 September 2018
I worked in the Dune concession in Carlisle. My manager was absolutely fantastic, and the reason I loved my job. I had a very nice group of co-workers and enjoyed that you had training through out your time at dune in order to improve your customer service skills. Great discount for uniform!
7 November 2018

What lovely feedback. It’s great to hear that you had such an amazing experience at Dune and truly loved working here. It sounds like the team in Carlisle really embody our core values especially “passionate”, “friendly & respectful” and “think customer”. It’s also great that you benefited so much from our training programme “Delivering the Dune Experience”. We’ve passed on your feedback to the Manager & team in Carlisle and they were over the moon to hear your kind words!

Prudctive
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Leicester7 September 2018
I Learned how to follow a picking list and how to properly pack and seal boxes ready for delivery. I didn't really enjoy the hours because they was rotational and didn't offer you any stability.
7 November 2018

Thanks for your feedback. Due to demand and logistics of shipping product, the working ours in our Distribution Centre in Leicester are often on a shift rotation basis which everyone has ample notice for. We also ensure that we are transparent about this during the application and interview process.

Stressful enviroment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater2 August 2018
I felt a lot of weight on my shoulders from management and was asked to do things that weren't involved in my job description. The stress from management made the job not enjoyable
Pros
Good salary and discount
Cons
stressful
7 November 2018

I’m sorry to hear you felt this way as we absolutely do not want anyone to feel in anyway stressed at work. If you had made us aware at the time of how you felt we would have hoped to have supported you in resolving this, however if you would like to discuss now you have left then please do contact the HR team.

sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London24 May 2018
Very hands-on. Busy on most weekends, as for weekdays can sometimes be fairly quiet.
The atmosphere of the company is fairly relaxed and the staff are overall very friendly
7 November 2018

Thanks for your feedback. One of our core values is “friendly and respectful” so it’s great that this was embodied at Brent Cross!

Worst place ever to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London7 May 2018
Worked in the dune in oxford street
Hated every second working here
Horrible and rude management
Wouldn’t advise working here
Hours are long and boring
Pros
Non
7 November 2018

I’m really sorry to hear about your negative experience working at Dune. We do offer an exit interview to all leavers to express how they found their time working with us and use this information to continually improve the employee experience.
If you would like to discuss any of your concerns further then please do contact our HR team and we can talk through these in more detail.

Concession Manger, House of Fraser (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield6 May 2018
I really enjoyed my time here. I worked for a short time as a Concession Manager for Dune, I found the training very informative & the management were always very happy to help.
7 November 2018

Thanks for your feedback, it’s lovely to hear you had such a positive experience working in our Sutton Coldfield store. We do pride ourselves on offering a thorough induction and exciting training and development opportunities throughout employment so it’s great to hear that you found the training beneficial.

Bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 May 2018
Really bad staff. Not friendly you can’t even talk to other staff members because managers get rude. The manangers talk to everyone and hardly do any work
7 November 2018

I’m so sorry to hear you felt this way. If you would like to discuss this further then please do reach out to our HR team who would be more than happy to discuss your concerns in more detail.

Old boys club who do not value employees!
NA (Former Employee) –  London, Edgware Road22 March 2018
Did not enjoy my time at Dune.

Full of old boys and no value placed on their employees.

Hectic in their approach.

Nothing more to add.

Was not a pleasant environment.
7 November 2018

I’m really sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working at Dune. We would be interested in hearing about your concerns in more detail so please do reach out to our HR team if you would open to discussing your concerns in more detail.

workplace for energetic people
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire22 February 2018
Work requires rotating shifts 6 am till 2 pm and 2 pm till 10 pm. A lot to learn and easy to learn if you willing to. Chance to apply for higher job positions. Overtimes available.
Pros
footwear vouchers
Cons
n/a
7 November 2018

Thanks for your feedback during your time working in our DC in Leicester. It’s great to hear that you learnt a lot whilst working here and had opportunities for promotion as we pride ourselves in investing in the learning and development of all our teams.

Fun workplace and nice people
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire11 February 2018
I was working at dune at the experience was amazingbecausethe people are nice and the program is favorabile, working in the shifts. The breaks are full paied.
Pros
Freelunches
7 November 2018

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your time at Dune. it sounds like the team in Leicester really live and breathe our core value “friendly & respectful”. Sorry to hear you found the hours long, the world of retail unfortunately means that some stores do trade until late.

ok to work for
sales person (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire1 January 2018
the staff made the job what it was. the hours were not ideal and sale time overtime is expected even if you ar enot available. long hours not great pay
22 January 2018

Thank you for your feedback.
We’re sorry you felt you were expected to work overtime. Christmas is a very busy time for retail and we rely both on our permanent team to support and additional Christmas temporary staff in some locations to come in to help us too. “Open and honest” is one of our core values, and as you felt as though you were given too many hours we would encourage you to speak to you Manager about this.
In regards to pay, we regularly review our pay bandings against other retailers to ensure we are competitive.
Thank you for your support over the sale period, we hugely appreciate our sales teams – especially at those times of year.

Kind regards,
Dune

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Dune Group. Our community is ready to answer.