The Donkey Sanctuary Employee Reviews

Dreadful Management of Bullying culture
Front of House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sidmouth, Devon5 July 2019
Within this organisation there is a “Us and Them” culture. Management within the offices have no care for restaurant staff.
Front of House staff are overworked and treated without care, being understaffed causes staff to somedays hardly have time for a drink and taking your allotted 30 minute unpaid break when working a 6 hour shift is a challenge.
They try to save money on staff front of house, then push the staff to the absolute limit, none stop!!
Management appear to have no idea ( or they bury their heads).
Staff don’t get paid their wages at the times that they should, office staff expect front of house staff to wait 6 weeks for their salary (this should be paid at the end of each month) without informing them, or even a care that they are alright waiting for that length of time for the money they are owed.

Because of very bad management a bullying culture has arisen in the Front of House area of the business. New staff are ganged up on, by established staff in a way that makes working in the environment extremely unhappy.
Pros
Cons
See above this is a very unhappy place to work
Fantastic friendly place to work
HR (Current Employee) –  Sidmouth, Devon10 December 2018
Have only been here a short time but everyone is very welcoming, helpful and keen to see you succeed. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in some of the great work we do as an organisation alongside your day to day job and would highly recommend them as an employer.
Pros
Great location, hours good and people
Money isn’t spent where it’s needed
Groom (Former Employee) –  Sidmouth25 October 2018
Worked here for many years,
Started off well, then after a bit things went sour, it’s all about if your face fits!
Too many managers there are managers who manage managers and the office staff have it very easy in comparison
Pros
Donkeys
Cons
The politics
A very friendly environment
General Yard staff (Former Employee) –  Sidmouth, Devon20 May 2018
The donkey sanctuary is one of my favourite places and it was so lovely to do work experience for them as i had been going there for 14 years. The staff were wonderful and all of the donkeys were taken care of to a very high standard.
Pros
Working with the donkeys all day
Not great
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sidmouth, Devon27 April 2018
Current poor leadership & historic mismanagement have left the organisation with a legacy of issues to resolve. But the opportunity to make changes has been missed due to a stagnant and risk-averse culture.
Pros
The donkeys are genuinely incredible animals.
Cons
Very poor management
Loved it
Community Fundraising Coordinator - North (Former Employee) –  home working, but sanctuary in sidmouth11 April 2018
I adored working for The Donkey Sanctuary, but unfortunately redundancies had to be made. My immediate manager was a dream to work with and for and the whole team, despite being geographically challenged for meetings, were massively coherent in what we did and what we achieved. I would totally recommend working for TDS and miss it very much.
Pros
donkey cuddles
Cons
getting vehicles stuck in mud at events
Productive and fun workplace
School Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Templepatrick1 August 2017
All duties were timetabled and displayed for each employee. all employees are treated equally, the environment is very welcoming and friendly yet also very professional. Duties in a day could include the cleaning out of the donkey's stables and move from the stables to the yard to be fed. Grooming of donkeys due to be worked in the arena etc.
waitress
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sidmouth22 March 2016
I was good to job and good people. customer seivre was good,
the money was good and cake is good too.
I am very good on waiting table, assisting with food, prep,
Pros
very good
Cons
very good
had been fantastic to work for until founder died 3 years ago
Regional Welfare Officer (Former Employee) –  Scotland,north England,northern ireland8 July 2014
was a fabulous place to work up until 3 years ago when the founder died and corporate people with no empathy for the animals or people took over the management.The job had been fulfilling but challenging .The former management motivated and appreciated the work and commitment we gave to the charity unfortunately the last few years changed and all the values of the organisation have gone.I have learnt I am fantastic at dealing with people and problem solving and am a good ambassador even if i disagree with the company policy.I am a good leader and team player and honest and trustworthy.
Cons
worked 50 plus hours paid for 35 hours
Great Place
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG8 June 2014
Working at the donkey sanctuary was physically demanding and we would work from 8am to 4pm in all weathers during the day and then the night staff would come in to do their shift.

My co-workers were amazing, they all genuinely love what they are doing and are great working with young children who have a variety of learning difficulties.