The Donkey Sanctuary

The Donkey Sanctuary Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
I learned a-lot about team work while at the donkey sanctuary which has really help benefit me in life. the most enjoyed part was working with the children when doing rides.
Oh what a change there has been over the past 3 or 4 years.
I like many staff, had worked for this wonderful Charity for many years, where the working environment was hard but so enjoyable. The ethos of the Charity was simply "Donkeys come first second and third", everyone agreed to this ethos and "sang off the same hymn sheet".

Unfortunately, the current trend is to turn this fantastic Charity into a corporate money driven business, the staff are no longer seen as the most valuable asset of the Charity, and it is amazing how many "long serving" members of staff have left.

The amount of staff who have been diagnosed as suffering from stress over the past few years is a worrying aspect.

Bullying, is prevalent where the end result is that the person suffering decides to leave. It is a sad fact that the current HR team do not look at the trends and attempt to reverse the current situation.

The Senior Management team really need to ask themselves "why a large number of staff appear so misrepresented".

It is not too late to reverse the current situation , however , there really needs to be a more sympathetic and empathetic attitude shown by the Senior Management team towards staff, instead of the obvious bullying style of management.
As part of a small team of welder/fabricators we were tasked with erecting 9 barns from drawings as well as keeping up with general maintenance of all the outlying farms belonging to the Donkey sanctuary. A great bunch to work for.
Good place to work if you enjoy outdoors, welcoming team and very hospitable group! I was a volunteer in high school and I enjoyed it very much! Very hands on job but worth it if you enjoy what you do’
I volunteered to work here for work experience, it was a fun environment and the staff were all very nice. Each day I would help get the donkeys out of their stables, then I would clean the stables, Some days I would groom the donkeys and clean their hooves. The hardest part of the job was all manual work that had to be put in and it was very tiring. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the donkeys and making some new friends whilst I was there.
The Donkey sanctuary had a fun workplace environment. I sometimes worked in the kitchen and other times i was out with the donkey.
Everyone at the donkeys was very kind and didn't hesitate to help with anything
I did a veterinary careers day at the donkey sanctuary and thought it was an extremely worthwhile experience which has increased my dedication to follow a career in this field.
Within this organisation there is a “Us and Them” culture. Management within the offices have no care for restaurant staff.
Front of House staff are overworked and treated without care, being understaffed causes staff to somedays hardly have time for a drink and taking your allotted 30 minute unpaid break when working a 6 hour shift is a challenge.

They try to save money on staff front of house, then push the staff to the absolute limit, none stop!!

Management appear to have no idea ( or they bury their heads).

Staff don’t get paid their wages at the times that they should, office staff expect front of house staff to wait 6 weeks for their salary (this should be paid at the end of each month) without informing them, or even a care that they are alright waiting for that length of time for the money they are owed.

Because of very bad management a bullying culture has arisen in the Front of House area of the business. New staff are ganged up on, by established staff in a way that makes working in the environment extremely unhappy.
Pros
Cons
See above this is a very unhappy place to work
What a beautiful place to work, some lovely people to work with and 99% of visitors are very supportive of what they see the DS stands for..
Sadly nowadays its a corporate monster run by those who have never got their hands or wellies dirty. Its a money making machine with very little focus where it should/used to be.

You will make more of a difference by volunteering 1 day a month than you ever will by working there full time and being caught up in the nonsense and politics that seem to engulf the offices and management.

Meetings that should be emails or post it notes.

Managers of managers managing managers.

Throwing fivers out of the window would literally achieve more.

If it was run as a "business", it would be bankrupt.

Your donations pay peoples mortgages.
Pros
Farm staff, surroundings, ethos
Cons
Management structure so top heavy it will bring it down.
Have only been here a short time but everyone is very welcoming, helpful and keen to see you succeed. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in some of the great work we do as an organisation alongside your day to day job and would highly recommend them as an employer.
Pros
Great location, hours good and people
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Donkey Sanctuary?
Worked here for many years,
Started off well, then after a bit things went sour, it’s all about if your face fits!

Too many managers there are managers who manage managers and the office staff have it very easy in comparison
Pros
Donkeys
Cons
The politics
The donkey sanctuary is one of my favourite places and it was so lovely to do work experience for them as i had been going there for 14 years. The staff were wonderful and all of the donkeys were taken care of to a very high standard.
Pros
Working with the donkeys all day
Current poor leadership & historic mismanagement have left the organisation with a legacy of issues to resolve. But the opportunity to make changes has been missed due to a stagnant and risk-averse culture.
Pros
The donkeys are genuinely incredible animals.
Cons
Very poor management
I adored working for The Donkey Sanctuary, but unfortunately redundancies had to be made. My immediate manager was a dream to work with and for and the whole team, despite being geographically challenged for meetings, were massively coherent in what we did and what we achieved. I would totally recommend working for TDS and miss it very much.
Pros
donkey cuddles
Cons
getting vehicles stuck in mud at events
All duties were timetabled and displayed for each employee. all employees are treated equally, the environment is very welcoming and friendly yet also very professional. Duties in a day could include the cleaning out of the donkey's stables and move from the stables to the yard to be fed. Grooming of donkeys due to be worked in the arena etc.
I was good to job and good people. customer seivre was good,
the money was good and cake is good too.

I am very good on waiting table, assisting with food, prep,
Pros
very good
Cons
very good
was a fabulous place to work up until 3 years ago when the founder died and corporate people with no empathy for the animals or people took over the management.The job had been fulfilling but challenging .The former management motivated and appreciated the work and commitment we gave to the charity unfortunately the last few years changed and all the values of the organisation have gone.I have learnt I am fantastic at dealing with people and problem solving and am a good ambassador even if i disagree with the company policy.I am a good leader and team player and honest and trustworthy.
Cons
worked 50 plus hours paid for 35 hours
Working at the donkey sanctuary was physically demanding and we would work from 8am to 4pm in all weathers during the day and then the night staff would come in to do their shift.

My co-workers were amazing, they all genuinely love what they are doing and are great working with young children who have a variety of learning difficulties.