The Disabilities Trust Employee Reviews

Iv never been happier going to work!
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland15 May 2018
From the start of my induction to being fully trained and competent at my job, I have never felt so at ease and supported within any case sector in the past. Shifts are fair and always overtime if you need it. Team leaders are approachable and respond professionally at all times. Management have an open door policy which I have used many times and never been turned away. Service users are happy and this reflects the happy staff and good moral.
I made the right decision :)
Pros
Work life balance
No time to give necessary care.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland1 May 2018
Too few staff and poor management means service users are not getting the level of care which they are entitled to get, staff don't have time to socialise with service users and often don't even have breaks.
Pros
lovely service users
Cons
too few staff
11 May 2018

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way about Jane Percy House.

We strive to create professional and friendly working environment for all of our employees in a number of ways including working with staff to improve the service with a suggestion box and Team Meetings with staff at all levels in the Service, to hear any staff concerns.

We have a working party who meet regularly to discuss improvements and we nominate for staff to receive a local award to recognise the excellent work they all do.
We have an open door policy and staff can share their thoughts at any time with the management team either face to face or by email.

We have a very good retention rate of staff who enjoy working at the service at Jane Percy House and have much lower turnover than the majority of similar services in the Care Sector. we believe it is a very positive place to work; we have a consistent reputation including ‘good’ ratings with the CQC, covering safe, well led, caring, effective and responsive.

If you would like to raise any concerns with us then please send an email to CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our HR team will reply to you promptly.

A good company (under new management). They provide sufficient job satisfaction.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire4 April 2018
They provide good training opportunities but work load means you have to use some of your own spare time, in order to meet deadlines. Promotion opportunities are not easily available.
Pros
Opportunity to be creative, good. Job security fine.
Cons
Dead-end job, if you are a high achiever.
Great job, amazing team
Staff (Current Employee) –  West Sussex25 March 2018
I have worked for the Disabilities Trust for a number of years and there is a reason for that. You get out what you put in, it's the teamwork that makes it great. My view is if you act professionally, work hard and are willing to learn this is a really rewarding job. Management are always willing to listen, right up to director level and act upon what they can to improve the services and experience of the staff. The staff that work in services are the main reason to join i have never worked with such nice people who are great at what they do, passionate and want to make a difference.
Pros
The staff team are great. If you are a positive person and willing to work hard, the job is very rewarding.
Great
Support worker full time (Current Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex15 March 2018
I have worked at this company now for a few years. And I have to say If you are willing to learn and do your job as required you can get so much out of this job! I love my job and being able to make a difference to someone’s life is so rewarding. The recent change in management has made a massive difference in how the place runs. All round great :)
Pros
Improving someone’s quality of life
Great Company to work for
Registered Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire14 March 2018
I am a current employer with the Trust and I am really enjoying my time with this company. It has a good working ethos and the support from the different departments is very helpful.
I would definitely recommend any friends or past colleagues to apply for any relevant positions with the Trust.
Pros
Extra Support, Good Team
Dreadful place to work in
Ex -support worker (Former Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex28 February 2018
Poor managed place from assistant managers to team leaders . They lie to you from the start and try do dazzle you with the facilities on site that are never going to be used. A lot of coverups depending if you are on the good side of the team leaders and management , complaints are not being discussed with the staff or given any feedback unless it’s in the managements intrest or the problem can be reported higher. Any suggestion or competent idea is either taken ownership of if it makes the management look good or brushed aside if it envolves a bit of change or work.
Incompetent team leaders chosen on the basis of being easily controlled and not on their actual managerial experience with little to no professionalism .Avoid the West Sussex branches they r dreadful and staff leave feeling depressed and disappointed .
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Stress, frustration and all around low morale
8 March 2018

We are sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time with us.

We offer exit interviews to all staff, unless they leave through the disciplinary process, and we also hold regular supervision and team meetings, to hear any staff concerns.

There are a lot of facilities on site, accessible to all, which have been well used and enjoyed for many years. It is down to the staff to support the use of these as part of their professional role.

We have a very good retention rate of staff who enjoy working at the service in West Sussex and believe it is a very positive place to work; we have a consistent reputation including ‘good’ ratings with the CQC, covering safe, well led, caring, effective and responsive.

Terrible management don't care about staff
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Community services21 February 2018
Upper management are bullies, you report them to HR and they tell them what you've said. I have evidence of this in writing. Staff are left on their own with no back up and when something goes wrong they get the blame. Management don't care about the service user only moving up the ladder. Your made to feel bad if you don't work 7 days a week. All good staff are leaving as management favour only the staff that are willing to work 7 days regardless of them not caring about the service users.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Management, useless staff
21 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, we do appreciate them. We are sorry that your experience with us was not always positive.

The Disabilities Trust does not tolerate workplace bullying and will act upon any allegations made by our employees.

As an organisation, The Disabilities Trust has a robust HR function to ensure that both best practice and all current legislation is adhered to by all members of the organisation, no matter their seniority. As part of providing this function it is important that staff have the opportunity to respond to allegations made against them in line with The Trust’s policies. The Disabilities Trust also provide a confidential Whistleblowing Hotline which is monitored and all calls are investigated and appropriate action taken.

At the Disabilities Trust, the safety and care of our Service Users is at the heart of what we do and we do not recommend or support 7 day working.

Should you wish to raise any concerns you may have, then please email CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our HR team will be in touch.

Great staff And Management
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex23 November 2017
From Day 1 starting at this place I was greeted with kindness friendly professionalism supporting staff and management . During my induction period all staff trained me well always helpful and professional in there approach . Happy staff and management bring light too these residents who are respected and well cared for . Working here is a privalge . Every day is a new day all days are different but it’s great to wake up in a morning knowing your going to a place run efficiently friendly and happy . Fantastic place in my eyes .
Pros
Free lunch
Welcoming, Lovely Service users and employees
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne12 November 2017
The disabilities trust was by far the most welcoming and enjoyable job I've experienced. The employees, management and service users are extremely understanding and kind. I couldn't have asked for a better experience within a work force. only con was the pay for the work you had to do - wasn't bad but personally I think the employees should have a little extra. another thing that made it better was that every single carer got the exact same hourly rate.
The environment itself was perfect, good equipment, training for all bases needed paid by the company to ensure you are fully qualified for the job.
Pros
Free lunches, nice staff and service users
Cons
sometimes low on staff and not so great pay
Lindfield! Not enough care, in a caring environment.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex28 October 2017
If you want to up your game and learn new skills and experience, here is your start.

As for "some" staff and team leaders there is a huge problem with in this place of work. The way some staff treat the service users. The way managers can treat the very "good" staff and favour the negative people who quite frankly have nothing nice to say. Remember, if you work here please be aware to just go and do your job.

The rest is absolutely fine.
Be strong minded and passionate about caring. If not don't apply as the place has to many of these!
Pros
Training and nvq available
Cons
Not enough support. To negative and always told NO
ok
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex25 October 2017
not a bad place to work 7 years ago.. shift work 1 to 1.. lerned about autism.. good manager.. personal care hard.. it was fun and enjoyable and really cool
Pros
free lunch
productive and fun workplace
SUPPORT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes25 October 2017
This company is very good to work for, the management are very good to work for and the day to day tasks are very easy and fun.
The service users and staff all get along very well and there is a positive culture in the workplace.
Awful management - The worst place I have ever worked in!
The Disabilities Trust (Former Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex29 September 2017
TOXIC CULTURE. Management is a disgrace. High level of discrimination and manipulation by management to put you down and justify their position.

No authenticity or mutual respect for others.

The worst environment I have ever worked in.

A total disgrace.
Pros
Nothing I can think of!
Cons
Management do not know what they are doing and are complete bullies
16 February 2018

We’re sorry to hear about your experience working for us, please do get in touch via CSSHR@thedtgroup.org if you want to explain your concerns in more detail.

As an organisation, we do not tolerate any kind of bullying or discriminatory behaviour and staff are encouraged to report this to senior managers or use the grievance procedure if they are concerned.

good working environment
Senior Support Worker/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire11 July 2017
A good working environment, a good management culture, flexible working conditions and an excellent team to work with although wages can be improved with more prospects of advancing on the ranks
Pros
free meals and flexible working environment
Cons
wages were reduced 3 years ago
Working at Eastbourne Shinewater Court
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex28 March 2017
You will find a diverse group of service users and staff, many of which have worked at Shinewater for many years, ( says a lot about a company if staff have long term awards) Great induction program, new staff are never expected to work on their own unless fully inducted and comfortable or trained in the correct manner. Management always have an open door policy. You are expected to work to an high standard, we work in a person centred approach and the service users are at the centre of all we do. If you are expecting a care unit where bed times, getting up are dictated by the support staff then this isn't the place for you. All support is directed by the service users and all care is lead by them, tailored to their preferences. It is a very transparent support unit, hard work but extremely rewarding.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Challenging
horrendous!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex9 March 2017
Terrible place to work! made me never wanna work in care again. I used to travel quite a distance to go to work here, the way they treat their staff is honestly horrendous!

They favour the bullies and ignore the ones who need help!

Resulting in all the good staff walking!

AVOID!
27 April 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to re-assure you that we take any feedback negative or positive seriously and we are sorry you have experienced this. We are continually looking for ways to improve our service including new starters being given time to discuss any issues during their probation with our dedicated HR team in confidence and an ongoing 9 month long management development programme for all managers. We strive to be open and transparent at all times and urge all of our staff to bring any concerns to light either at the service or via our HR or whistleblowing departments.

Stay away! !!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Graham anderson house glasgow2 March 2017
Support workers and nurses are bullied constantly. Some very good support workers and nurses have left due to the culture. There is no career advancement, high turn over of staff. Manager acts like a "wee ned" promise you the world to get you in the door
Assaults on staff are common. Staff are split into different types management at the top, clinical. Then housekeeping then maintenance. And at the bottom are nurses and support workers. Terrible experience of working here. Stay well clear.! Oh and the nurses are warned not to be friendly with support staff. Senior nurses have the power of small gods
Pros
A couple of good staff.
Cons
Lazy unaproachable managment team .
25 April 2017

Thank you for your feedback. At The Disabilities Trust we are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all of our employees, so I am disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. We urge anyone who has concerns about their working environment at the Trust to speak in confidence to our HR team. We value and consider all comments and will continue to find ways to improve

Challenging environment
Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  York23 February 2017
Really enjoyable place to work, the service users add a fresh and enjoyable dimension to the role.

Some of the systems are outdated, but it's a good team to work with.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Outdated systems
Great place to work, amazing work colleagues and management
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  York21 February 2017
Managers are very supportive and will do everything possible to help staff members, give training on everything to the best degree, work colleagues always help each other out, very organised, lots of support, service users are amazing to work with and not everyday is the same.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Disabilities Trust. Our community is ready to answer.