The Disabilities Trust Employee Reviews

Waste of time!! find another job!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ely, Cambridgeshire10 December 2018
Don't recommend working there!!
There are plenty of organisations that pay better and have a much better work atmosphere.
Must give out medication to clients but you DO NOT get paid extra for it!
There is no career advancement opportunities,
Lack of communication putting both care staff and clients at risk.
Management very poor, not helpful, lack of communication, failing to escalate concerns and complaints. They DO NOT listen to you when you have concerns about clients.
Management doesn't listen to concerns that staff have about clients and then seem shocked when behaviours occur that could have been prevented.
Families and clients feel they have been lied to as clincians make out they can help more than they can and clients are often discharged a lot later than they should be so they get behavioural.
Clinicians will only focus on clients they can help easily and leave the more behavioural ones to support staff as they are afraid to go near them.
Short staffed on majority of shifts (unless outsiders coming in when they miraculously seem to find staff). Due to short staffing both clients and staff are put at risk!
Work atmosphere poor, not professional.
Bullying in the work place is common, but no point reporting it to management as the victim always ends up leaving in the end and the bullies stay.
Staff moral extremely low!! Majority of staff waiting for job opportunities somewhere else.
Management DO NOT listen to staff, and allow for poor practise.
Personally it is a waste of time and you go home at the end of the day NOT feeling like you helped anyone
  more... through their rehab and hoping some else calls you to offer you a new job!  less
Pros
you can leave on time if you are a support worker.. to go back on indeed and find a better job!
Cons
Short Staffed, Low staff moral, Lack of communication, no career progression, poor work environment
Awful
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex27 November 2018
Horrible place too work, made very uncomfortable by all the staff and management.
Service users not treated with respect in their own home, some neglected and none were given equal opportunities.
Extremely negative environment to be in.
And from the constant gossiping from staff the entire company sounds horrific, would avoid working for.
Rotas changed unfairly given unwanted extra hours, minimal training given.
Pros
Cons
The entire service
Excellent People make a Great Workplace
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burgess Hill5 October 2018
During my short time there, there were many helpful people there, who knew the systems and processes very well, and could be relied upon for support. The people were lovely and great fun, creating a harmonious work place environment.

The new CEO has taken the organisation forwards with more strategic focus on financial performance through better analysis of data.
Pros
9 to 5pm
Cons
Lack of Parking on site.
A poor employer
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Devon1 October 2018
At this moment in time i can think of nothing positive to say about the company. imposing changes on staff, not for operational reasons or to benefit the service users, but to suit the requirements of the payroll department! A management team that doesn't respect or understand the role of support workers. From being a Service user led organisation, it is now more concerned about saving money. management fail to see that morale amongst staff has reached rock bottom. i no longer feel appreciated for the work that i do.
Pros
great staff team
Cons
Unappreciated for the work that i do
Management at head office are rubbish
Worker (Current Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex15 August 2018
SMT close down units and tell the media it was staff fault when in fact it was down to the senior management team at head office
Staff are made redundant and residents forced to move away due to SMT faults
Cons
Rubbish management
Loved my time here
Central Services (Former Employee) –  Wakefield20 July 2018
I worked for the Trust for just under two years, and overall I have enjoyed all of my time here. I’ve had wonderful colleagues and developed great relationships with the wider Trust.

Like any job, there are ups and downs that come with working in a pressured environment where there are real repercussions if you do not work to a high standard, as it should be.

The Trust is not an organisation to join if you are not going to commit to your role fully, but if you do and you show that you are competent and knowledgeable, you will become a trusted member of the organisation and be recognised for your contribution from Directors, Senior Managers and Junior Managers.

If you want an easy job where you won't be held accountable, then this isn't the place for you.
Pros
Great team, autonomy and zero micro-management
Cons
The Trust is a charity so some of the salaries paid aren't as competitive as the private sector.
Iv never been happier going to work!
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland15 May 2018
From the start of my induction to being fully trained and competent at my job, I have never felt so at ease and supported within any case sector in the past. Shifts are fair and always overtime if you need it. Team leaders are approachable and respond professionally at all times. Management have an open door policy which I have used many times and never been turned away. Service users are happy and this reflects the happy staff and good moral.
I made the right decision :)
Pros
Work life balance
No time to give necessary care.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland1 May 2018
Too few staff and poor management means service users are not getting the level of care which they are entitled to get, staff don't have time to socialise with service users and often don't even have breaks.
Pros
lovely service users
Cons
too few staff
11 May 2018

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way about Jane Percy House.

We strive to create professional and friendly working environment for all of our employees in a number of ways including working with staff to improve the service with a suggestion box and Team Meetings with staff at all levels in the Service, to hear any staff concerns.

We have a working party who meet regularly to discuss improvements and we nominate for staff to receive a local award to recognise the excellent work they all do.
We have an open door policy and staff can share their thoughts at any time with the management team either face to face or by email.

We have a very good retention rate of staff who enjoy working at the service at Jane Percy House and have much lower turnover than the majority of similar services in the Care Sector. we believe it is a very positive place to work; we have a consistent reputation including ‘good’ ratings with the CQC, covering safe, well led, caring, effective and responsive.

If you would like to raise any concerns with us then please send an email to CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our HR team will reply to you promptly.

A good company (under new management). They provide sufficient job satisfaction.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire4 April 2018
They provide good training opportunities but work load means you have to use some of your own spare time, in order to meet deadlines. Promotion opportunities are not easily available.
Pros
Opportunity to be creative, good. Job security fine.
Cons
Dead-end job, if you are a high achiever.
Great job, amazing team
Staff (Current Employee) –  West Sussex25 March 2018
I have worked for the Disabilities Trust for a number of years and there is a reason for that. You get out what you put in, it's the teamwork that makes it great. My view is if you act professionally, work hard and are willing to learn this is a really rewarding job. Management are always willing to listen, right up to director level and act upon what they can to improve the services and experience of the staff. The staff that work in services are the main reason to join i have never worked with such nice people who are great at what they do, passionate and want to make a difference.
Pros
The staff team are great. If you are a positive person and willing to work hard, the job is very rewarding.
Great
Support worker full time (Current Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex15 March 2018
I have worked at this company now for a few years. And I have to say If you are willing to learn and do your job as required you can get so much out of this job! I love my job and being able to make a difference to someone’s life is so rewarding. The recent change in management has made a massive difference in how the place runs. All round great :)
Pros
Improving someone’s quality of life
Great Company to work for
Registered Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire14 March 2018
I am a current employer with the Trust and I am really enjoying my time with this company. It has a good working ethos and the support from the different departments is very helpful.
I would definitely recommend any friends or past colleagues to apply for any relevant positions with the Trust.
Pros
Extra Support, Good Team
Dreadful place to work in
Ex -support worker (Former Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex28 February 2018
Poor managed place from assistant managers to team leaders . They lie to you from the start and try do dazzle you with the facilities on site that are never going to be used. A lot of coverups depending if you are on the good side of the team leaders and management , complaints are not being discussed with the staff or given any feedback unless it’s in the managements intrest or the problem can be reported higher. Any suggestion or competent idea is either taken ownership of if it makes the management look good or brushed aside if it envolves a bit of change or work.
Incompetent team leaders chosen on the basis of being easily controlled and not on their actual managerial experience with little to no professionalism .Avoid the West Sussex branches they r dreadful and staff leave feeling depressed and disappointed .
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Stress, frustration and all around low morale
8 March 2018

We are sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time with us.

We offer exit interviews to all staff, unless they leave through the disciplinary process, and we also hold regular supervision and team meetings, to hear any staff concerns.

There are a lot of facilities on site, accessible to all, which have been well used and enjoyed for many years. It is down to the staff to support the use of these as part of their professional role.

We have a very good retention rate of staff who enjoy working at the service in West Sussex and believe it is a very positive place to work; we have a consistent reputation including ‘good’ ratings with the CQC, covering safe, well led, caring, effective and responsive.

Terrible management don't care about staff
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Community services21 February 2018
Upper management are bullies, you report them to HR and they tell them what you've said. I have evidence of this in writing. Staff are left on their own with no back up and when something goes wrong they get the blame. Management don't care about the service user only moving up the ladder. Your made to feel bad if you don't work 7 days a week. All good staff are leaving as management favour only the staff that are willing to work 7 days regardless of them not caring about the service users.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Management, useless staff
21 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, we do appreciate them. We are sorry that your experience with us was not always positive.

The Disabilities Trust does not tolerate workplace bullying and will act upon any allegations made by our employees.

As an organisation, The Disabilities Trust has a robust HR function to ensure that both best practice and all current legislation is adhered to by all members of the organisation, no matter their seniority. As part of providing this function it is important that staff have the opportunity to respond to allegations made against them in line with The Trust’s policies. The Disabilities Trust also provide a confidential Whistleblowing Hotline which is monitored and all calls are investigated and appropriate action taken.

At the Disabilities Trust, the safety and care of our Service Users is at the heart of what we do and we do not recommend or support 7 day working.

Should you wish to raise any concerns you may have, then please email CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our HR team will be in touch.

Not as good as it used to be
CSW (Current Employee) –  Devon20 December 2017
Our shift patterns are 14 hours or 24 hours shifts. Training wise, we are always chasing face to face training otherwise it's conducted on interactive/online. Management has really declined since I first joined the company and the company does not look after the Staff and clients as they promise to do. The hardest part of the job is not being appreciated or valued for the work you do. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the clients succeed in their independence.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
Not valued and paid for your work
21 March 2018

Thank you for your comment and concerns. As an organisation, The Disabilities Trust does not encourage such long shift patterns as standard working practice and only in unusual circumstances would you work past 11 hours; this would usually be the result of a sleep-in shift. The Disabilities Trust is one of the leaders in our sector for providing our staff with ongoing role-specific training which is provided via e-learning and/or face-to-face training. The Disabilities Trust has a dedicated Learning & Development department that can also provide industry-recognised formal qualifications for staff who wish to pursue a career in the Social Care sector.

We are also very aware of and value the huge contribution our front-line staff provide in the improvement of our Service Users lives. As part of this awareness, we have Staff Awards which formally recognise the amazing work provided by our dedicated staff across the organisation as well as various internal communications, including our fortnightly newsletter DT Focus, which showcases the excellent work taking place across all of our Services.

Should you wish to raise any general concerns you may have then please email CSSHR@thedtgroup.org or if it is a concern about training provision then please email CSSLD@thedtgroup.org and one of the HR or L&D team will be in touch.

Welcoming, Lovely Service users and employees
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne12 November 2017
The disabilities trust was by far the most welcoming and enjoyable job I've experienced. The employees, management and service users are extremely understanding and kind. I couldn't have asked for a better experience within a work force. only con was the pay for the work you had to do - wasn't bad but personally I think the employees should have a little extra. another thing that made it better was that every single carer got the exact same hourly rate.
The environment itself was perfect, good equipment, training for all bases needed paid by the company to ensure you are fully qualified for the job.
Pros
Free lunches, nice staff and service users
Cons
sometimes low on staff and not so great pay
Lindfield! Not enough care, in a caring environment.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex28 October 2017
If you want to up your game and learn new skills and experience, here is your start.

As for "some" staff and team leaders there is a huge problem with in this place of work. The way some staff treat the service users. The way managers can treat the very "good" staff and favour the negative people who quite frankly have nothing nice to say. Remember, if you work here please be aware to just go and do your job.

The rest is absolutely fine.
Be strong minded and passionate about caring. If not don't apply as the place has to many of these!
Pros
Training and nvq available
Cons
Not enough support. To negative and always told NO
ok
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lindfield, West Sussex25 October 2017
not a bad place to work 7 years ago.. shift work 1 to 1.. lerned about autism.. good manager.. personal care hard.. it was fun and enjoyable and really cool
Pros
free lunch
productive and fun workplace
SUPPORT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes25 October 2017
This company is very good to work for, the management are very good to work for and the day to day tasks are very easy and fun.
The service users and staff all get along very well and there is a positive culture in the workplace.
Awful management - The worst place I have ever worked in!
The Disabilities Trust (Former Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex29 September 2017
TOXIC CULTURE. Management is a disgrace. High level of discrimination and manipulation by management to put you down and justify their position.

No authenticity or mutual respect for others.

The worst environment I have ever worked in.

A total disgrace.
Pros
Nothing I can think of!
Cons
Management do not know what they are doing and are complete bullies
16 February 2018

We’re sorry to hear about your experience working for us, please do get in touch via CSSHR@thedtgroup.org if you want to explain your concerns in more detail.

As an organisation, we do not tolerate any kind of bullying or discriminatory behaviour and staff are encouraged to report this to senior managers or use the grievance procedure if they are concerned.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Disabilities Trust. Our community is ready to answer.