The Disabilities Trust
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from The Disabilities Trust:

The Disabilities Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom86 reviews
Remuneration not reflective of roles
A person centred approach to clients and managerial support not adequate. Handling of training and supervision needs improvement and a review of salary for Team Leaders and support staff.
10 May 2020
Thank you for your feedback; your feedback is valued. The Disabilities Trust welcomes feedback and encourages our team members to provide feedback via their Service Manager or People Business Partner, or you can also e-mail csshr@thedtgroup.org.
Good place to work.
I have worked here for over 4 years now and still enjoy my job, yes it can be busy and challenging but great place to work. There is a good team and if you come with a positive attitude and work ethic you will fit in well. Manager very down to earth and approachable, will always support you as much as she can. GAH is full of characters with great stories (and thats just the nurses) its never dull at Gah.
fun
it's a fun, enjoyable job. No two days are ever the same. different qualifications. challenging behaviours. driving around. all sorts of different challenges throughout the day.
A typical day at work
As a support worker, I always strive to make sure that the living conditions of the people I support is improved. Once a service user is assigned to me, I would make sure that I professionally carry all the routines attached to working with the aforementioned person thereby feeling fulfilled for achieving my goal and putting a smile on the person.
Fantastic place to work
I thoroughly enjoy working at the disabilities trust, I love the people I work with both my management team and those I manage. The people we support are given the beat care and support and the SLT clearly care about the all the people in the trust.
24 February 2020
Thanks so much for your positive review! We really appreciate you taking the time out to say some kind words about us; you're living our values and having heart.
Needing stronger management
The Trust generally needs stronger direction to fulfill its aims. There is a lack of long term vision which leads to a lack of collaboration across different workstreams.
24 February 2020
We're sorry to read your review. The Disabilities Trust is a national charity which prides itself on its teams and services working together to achieve a common goal of providing the best possible service to our service users.
We strive to create a great working environment for all our people and welcome ideas and suggestions via management and people services.

If you would like to raise any concerns with us, please get in touch at CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our People Services team will respond to you promptly.
Stay away
Honestly, there are no accurate words to describe this horror of a workplace. I lasted three weeks here due to bullying from management and lack of support. I had the flu and was threatened to be fired even though I had been signed off by my doctor.

Management ALLOW the residents to beat the support workers to the point where we are in so much pain it's unbearable and we are told to get on with it. A resident purposefully burned me with his lighter, and when I told the staff they laughed it off even though I immediately blistered.

Some of the staff are unpleasant and look down on you, and the senior staff are the nicest people in that place. Management are just plain awful and the care of the residents is just as bad. There are definitely some favoritism issues there and this place NEEDS to be shut down.
17 February 2020
We're sorry to read your review which raises some concerns for us as an organisation. The Disabilities Trust is a national charity which prides itself on its policies and procedures to protect both service users and our people. Ensuring our people work in a safe environment is a priority, as is working within people who are respectful of each other. We take allegations of bullying and drug use very seriously and have policies and procedures in place to ensure the environment and people are protected. We have an experienced Human Resources team who are always available to listen to any concerns our employees raise.

If you would like to raise these concerns with us, please get in touch at CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our HR team will respond to you promptly. Also, our Whistleblowing line (01444 258599) is open to anyone, including current and former employees like yourself.
Avoid at all costs
Terrible place to work. Senior management are bullies.They will tell you there is an open culture. There isn't an open culture. The values are meaningless. Risk averse, scared of change, leaders who don't have a clue how to lead. People are treated really badly and I could not wait to leave. Worst company I have ever had the misfortune to come into contact with.
17 February 2020
We're sorry to read your review which raises some concerns for us as an organisation. The Disabilities Trust is a national charity which prides itself on its policies and procedures to protect both service users and our people. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure the environment and people are protected ; if any of our people feel they are not being treated fairly we have in place procedures our employees can follow to ensure they are listened to. We have an experienced People Services team who are always available to listen to any concerns our employees raise.

If you would like to raise these concerns with us, please get in touch at CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our People Services team will respond to you promptly. Also, our Whistleblowing line (01444 258599) is open to anyone, including current and former employees like yourself.
Pro-active company
The workplace was supported living supporting adults with learning disabilities to be as independent as possible on a daily basis.
Support work was enjoyable and varied quite often doing different daily tasks with adults with varying needs of support.

Team leader position was very different and stressful at times- sometimes no help from management so had to make decisions on the spot.

Staff team were for the most time supportive but at other times very unhelpful especially when new tasks where handed to them ie weekly audits.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Service Users, they all had varying needs and required varied types of support from staff.
17 February 2020
Thanks so much for your positive review! You're living our values, especially connected, courageous, and having heart.
Excellent place to work
I have worked here for 10 years I absolutely love my job, yes it can be challenging and hard work but feel the majority of staff pull together to support each other and most importantly the service users who have had a brain injury and can be unpredictable.
28 January 2020
Thanks so much for your positive review! It's great to hear that you feel that your peer group are so supportive, You're living our values, especially connected, courageous, and having heart.
Stay away!
This is the worst place that I have ever worked as an RSW you are treated like a human punching bag and constantly degraded and verbally abused by the service user Management does nothing about it, there is a horrible culture of bullying by management, the RSW are overworked overtired and undervalued with staff often not getting their full break entitlement they allow the servicer users to rule the roost and never do anything about it, it is rare the you leave a shift at gah where you feel like you have accomplished anything most of the time you leave work wondering why you even got out of bed in the morning, you are promised the world to get you in the door like career advancement and opportunity for growth but this is a lie after working there for a few weeks you will soon realise that this is all to get you in the door, they do not care about the patients only the money, this is supposed to be a brain injury unit but its more of a drug and alcohol unit, the management couldnt run a bath never mind a shift. the rotas are never done right and they don't care you need to sort it with the RSW if you have a holiday prior to starting they will moan about honouring it making you feel like you shouldn't have booked a holiday, The management is so unprofessional telling the nurses not to become friendly with RSW they have also been caught having "mothers meetings" about the RSW to the nursing and clinical staff, the head of care is an ogre and will make you feel worthless if your face doesn't fit, its quite obvious from working here if your face doesn't fit they will make you leave - more...

A very supportive work environment
A very supportive work environment

Worked with a diverse group of talented professionals and I have learned a lot. Good teamworking and communication
Pros
Free meals
Cons
The Disabilities Trust is a great company to work for. Very supportive and open door policy from the top down.
Training is great, and if there is a subject they don't train in, you can ask for it. Managers listen to you and are very supportive.
Each day you lean something new
This job role was interesting as all the clients had different needs and was different to work with as there care plans varied on what they did day to day it was a challenging role but rewording too.
28 January 2020
busy but rewarding place to work
The disabilities trust is a great place to work, the salary is great, the hours and annual leave are also generous.

The work load is at times stressful but it is very rewarding working for a leading national charity knowing you are helping others.
Lovely place to work
I work for disability trust and I love working for them. I enjoy working with the service users.all the staff get on, and there all there for the service users
Hollyrood- an honest review from a former employee
What can I say about this place other than that I seriously worry for the service users. The fact that they employ anyone means the service users do not get an acceptable level of care. If you go to the management with an idea that might cost money or lead to a service users progression (which might mean they lose funding for there) they will shut you down and if you try to advocate for that service user they usually end up moving you because you have become "too involved". Why in a caring role are you not allowed to care?
Just so it's made clear, none of the managers when I was there were qualified for the job. They got them because they were liked by the current unqualified managers. It's all about making money, which is why they took on service users which were clearly not supposed to be there and they eventually got moved to more appropriate services.

The most concerning issue is the lack of night staff especially with epileptic service users. They are supposed to be awake all night but there were many occasions when it was obvious that it was not the case.

There were incidences of staff using drugs while at work and a horrible culture of bullying.

If you stand up for what's right you are made to feel awful.

As someone who went through all the proper channels, wrote down my evidence, had grievance meetings and still got no where because the managers refused to persue it, just beware. You cannot have an opinion or a brain cell because they do not like to be challenged.

If you are a prospective parent..... please do not listen to the good reviews as I can assume
 - more...
Pros
Service users are amazing
Cons
All of the above
19 November 2019
We're sorry to read your review which raises some concerns for us as an organisation. The Disabilities Trust is a national charity which prides itself on its policies and procedures to protect both service users and our people. Safeguarding our service users is at the centre of everything we do. Ensuring our people work in a safe environment is a priority, as is working within people who are respectful of each other. We take allegations of bullying and drug use very seriously and have policies and procedures in place to ensure the environment and people are protected. We have an experienced Human Resources team who are always available to listen to any concerns our employees raise.

Please note: this review is for assistant psychologists
Very good charity. No advancements opportunities and low salary with not many benefits but overall positive experience. Well managed.
Warm environment and flexibility.
Disturbingly awful
The manager of the place has no time for anyone, change your shifts without informing you move you from piller to post. The assistant manager is incompetent and hopeless at her job Breaks are non existent,constantly leaving every shift black and blue from getting hit from service users. The receptionist along with the maintenance men and kitchen staff are the only decent folk in their. Avoid this place at all costs
19 November 2019
We're sorry to read your review regarding one of our services. The Disabilities Trust is a national charity which prides itself on its policies and procedures to protect both staff and service users. These policies include Grievance and Whistle-Blowing.

If you would like to raise these concerns with us, please get in touch at CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our HR team will respond to you promptly. Also, our Whistleblowing line (tel 01444 258599) is open to anyone, including current and former employees like yourself.
Unprofessional
Massive lack of communication from top to bottom. Most staff members are somehow related to each other. If you're an outsider you are made to feel unwelcome. Colleagues act fake and back stabbing. Very high staff turnover. Management including team leaders lack professionalism. Inconsistent training opportunities. Constant rota changes. Always expected to work weekends and holiday seasons. Food and drink allowances don't tend to cover your spending's during one to one's. Extremely long hours of work on a regular basis. 14 hours plus and sleep overs.
If you complain about anything, you are made to feel like you are the problem. No point escalating anything due to lack of support. Upper management and HR are useless. Managers and team leaders change all the time. Unorganised structure. Blind leading the blind. Service users are nice but staff are less friendly. Some very hard working support workers exist but the majority prefer to chit chat all day, rather than getting on with their work. Management don't know what they're doing. Better work climate in another company.
Pros
Service users
Cons
14+ hour shifts
19 November 2019
We're sorry to read your review regarding one of our services. The Disabilities Trust is a national charity which prides itself on its policies and procedures to protect both staff and service users. These policies include Grievance and Whistle-blowing.

If you would like to raise these concerns with us, please get in touch at CSSHR@thedtgroup.org and one of our HR team will respond to you promptly. Also, our Whistle-blowing line (tel 01444 258599) is open to anyone, including current and former employees like yourself.
4 October 2019
We're sorry to read your review which raises some concerns for us as an organisation. The Disabilities Trust is a national charity which prides itself on its policies and procedures to protect both staff and service users. These policies include Grievance, Whistle-blowing, Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults, and Bullying and Harassment. We've also recently launched our new values, and these are being rolled out across all our operational services. We have national Quality Assurance, Human Resources and Learning and Development Teams who support our operational services to ensure the highest quality of care and rehabilitation is delivered.

Good
Very Good company to work also is charitable organisations whereby every worker matters. The management is good and supportive including learning alot.
2 October 2019
Thank you so much for posting such a positive review about working for The Disabilities Trust. We're pleased to hear you feel that every employee matters, and that you are supported by managers.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Disabilities Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9