The Cornish Bakery Employee Reviews

Core values buried in the pastry
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hastings7 August 2019
Working at the Cornish Bakery was a huge mistake. Nothing but constant criticism and managements only aim was to up sell and gain more money.
The core values of the company were never actually demonstrated through the work place.
It was my first part time job and had no experience in food retail and yet I felt so intimidated and pressured to be the best. Ever since my induction I knew I would never settle in as I questioned why the companies policy didn’t allow employees any tips. As soon as you become on the wrong side of management they try and find every excuse to rattle and humiliate you. It was a work place far from its core values of ‘empowering eachother’.
From my experience, the Cornish bakery is lacking in good management and needs to change this if it is ever going to be a ‘live for the moment’ bakery.
Terrible Place To Work
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex28 July 2019
Bullying management. Rude and patronising. Management spied on me on CCTV taking toilet breaks. Put me down all the time, constantly criticising my work and physical appearance. I was on minimum wage, zero hour contract, had to buy my own uniform out of my wages. Management kept staff tips. My manager undermined my work and confidence constantly. I had to sign a 'confessional' letter about my performance. I am quitting because it's such an awful place to work.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Horrible bullying managers
12 August 2019

Thank you for your time in leaving feedback. As a people first business we are proud of our core values, which we truly believe in. I am sorry that you did not feel these in your short time with us in a new opening bakery. All of our employees receive uniform free of charge – shirts and aprons, we just ask that you wear jeans and shoes of your own. Unfortunately, tips are not accepted across the whole of our business from customers, we simply ask that they leave us positive feedback on Tripadvisor as a thank you instead. I do note the comments you have made about your reasons for leaving, surrounding bullying and unfair treatment and we do not tolerate such behaviour. If you would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail then please contact us.

Very hard work, very busy, a lot of work for little pay.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bude11 July 2019
My latest manager was the best, she understood the reasons why I left and agreed with my thoughts on how to make it a better place to work. Many times I worked extra because it was so busy and not enough staff to cope with it and many times I didn’t get a break. I’m far to old to be told I can’t have a break unless I’m doing a 6 hour shift and have to have our drink in the kitchen , only never get the time to be in the kitchen to drink it. Used to be nice working there but not anymore.
Pros
Cons
A lot of blood and sweat and no break.
Good place to work but staff and management is diabolical
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  York27 June 2019
I enjoyed the job & providing good customer service, but the managers are just a joke & favour some staff over others because of personal relationships. It’s hard to enjoy yourself at work when everyone around you is childish and disrespectful.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Bullying (and nothing is done about it)
19 August 2019

Thank you for your review. It’s great that you enjoyed your job with us and took pride in serving our wonderful customers. We pride ourselves as a business on our core values and I am really sorry that you did not feel your managers were fair. As a business we do not tolerate any form of bullying and always investigate when concerns are raised.

Decent salary but not appreciated at all
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Falmouth14 June 2019
Prepare to be told how you're treated as an individual and we care about you and we empower each other blah blah. I left due to the fact my new manager was bullying all the staff and actively tried to get us to quit. Major health violations that was brought up by EHO visiting after I asked them to email head office to complain about standards in the shop, and issues were still not fixed. Only shut on Christmas day, no reduced hours at any point. Hard graft and no appreciation. Don't expect the world here. Use it as a stepping stone
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Pretty much the rest of it
Avoid Avoid Avoid
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cornwall2 June 2019
Not at all what it says its core values are !! do not know the meaning of core values
where has the owner gone ?
i was under so much pressure to deliver end up working well over 40 hours to complete all paperwork
no one seems to care how many hours you do
going down hill fast
Pros
Cons
Long hours that you dont get paid for over 40
17 June 2019

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves as a business on our core values. We believe that our team can and do deliver The Cornish Bakery values every day in their work of honesty, team spirit, empowerment, living for the moment and celebrating success. I am concerned that you feel under undue pressure and are working excessive hours. Please contact our HR manager if you wish to discuss further and we can look at how to support you better.

Awful culture and incompetent Head Office
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Swanage, Dorset22 March 2019
Probably the worst run business i've worked for.The core values they talk about are farcical. I received death threats from staff and head office offered no support, so thats the bully culture they really portray. I would question the capabilities of senior stakeholders, as some store managers have had 7 different area managers in a few years, thankfully my area manager was fantastic. The product range is great and there loyal customers are amazing, happy to end this brief nightmare for good.
Pros
leaving
Cons
head office
26 March 2019

Thank you for your time in leaving feedback. We are a successful business having had continuous like for like growth since 2014. As a people first business we are very proud of our values which we truly believe in and 90% of colleagues in our staff survey said they feel they can deliver the Cornish Bakery values every day in work. It is unfortunate that as a manager you were unable to foster a culture of innovation, honesty, team spirit, empowering each other, living for the moment and celebrating success. We are glad to hear you feel positively about our customers and the great product range in our bakeries.

I am deeply concerned to hear you received death threats. We are unaware of that but we would never tolerate such behaviour from one of our colleagues. Please get in touch if you have information to enable us to investigate this further.

The team is what makes it
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bideford, Devon11 March 2019
I have worked for the Cornish Bakery twice and I do like the company it’s self but....
Poor communication between office staff with shops.
Bad product planning and communication.
No training structure for team leader & team members.
Mileage reimbursement under HMRC rates.
Don’t be fooled by the extra 25p.
IT’S A SEASONAL JOB!!
Only a 4hour contract! For team members and team leaders, which is one of the reasons I left.
Managers attitudes are unprofessional and treat the team as “beneath” them. Poor communication from management and will lie to get themselves out of trouble and pass the blame on to the team.

I love the coffee culture they have and it’s free when your working. You get 50% off food and drinks which is good!
Pros
Free coffee. 50% off food&drinks
Cons
4 hour contract. Poor communication. Seasonal. Poor management
4 April 2019

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are currently in an exciting period of development and our new Training and Development team have delivered our brand new training plans. We take pride in the fact we listen to everyone we work with and with everyone’s patience we have delivered our promise of better training and communication. Our core values and culture remain a large part of what we offer our teams and our internal surveys show we are fulfilling expectations. As you will know from working for us previously, the business is a seasonal one but we try and keep our core teams in position all year, offering seasonal contracts in the Summer. We do have high expectations from our teams and that's why it is so important we look after them. It is unfortunate you did not experience the best we have to offer but we wish you well for the future in your new role.

Fun, people focussed, enjoyable
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  South West28 February 2019
This job is hard work but seriously good fun, the Cornish Bakery makes you feel valued and personally cared for by the company.

Management on the whole strive for the best for their teams, and deliver their core values through the day to day management of teams and service with customers.

Work shifts can involve a 7am start until 3pm, a shorter lunchtime cover shift, or an afternoon start going through to evenings so work life balance is exceptionally easy to achieve working here.

I learned more in three years at the Cornish Bakery than I have learnt during my other jobs combined - the managers I worked directly underneath pushed me and developed me whenever possible and supported me through a promotion and secondary side-step into full-time training.

The hardest part of the job (which is also one of the most fun when you get it right) is the pressure on managers to achieve budgets when working hard shifts serving masses of customers during summer holidays in tourist locations.
Pros
Lots of benefits; including progression opportunities, fair pay, bonusses for all team members, paid birthdays, maternity & family support is incredible
Cons
Mostly existing in tourist locations can mean it is a lifestyle choice as well as a job
St ives is a great place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  St Ives, Cornwall12 December 2018
Great team and management. Managers in st ives really do care about the team and do everything they can to help you in and out of work.
Good pay for this job.
Good products.
Company values are really worked towards and are alive in the business.
31 January 2019

Thanks for your review. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed working as part of a great team in our St Ives bakery and were rewarded for your hard work. We are really proud of our teams and the caring supportive managers we have who truly live the core values.

Interesting workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Totnes, Devon10 October 2018
A typical day at work was long - sometimes 9 or 10 hour shifts, which was tough, but it was very well payed (especially for 18-21 year olds).
I learned a lot about coffee - the history, the agricultural side of it, the technique, and can happily say I am trained in gourmet coffee, which is a wonderful skill to have on your CV (forget Starbucks, this coffee is a different league - and, you get to drink it for free on shift!).
Management when I first arrived was awful, but when I and other team members complained about our manager, the company took action and she was asked to leave, making us feel empowered and heard. New management was absolutely lovely, and used to bring us little cakes and sweet treats and organise incentives.
Workplace culture was fun, with a lot of playful banter among staff.
The job could be stressful during the busiest hours of the day, and during the close down. Close down was long and exhausting, and we almost always had to work overtime to finish it. Also, breaks are only 20 minutes long, and unpaid.
Overall though, if you don't mind being on your feet all day and you're a quick thinker who will handle the busier times, this is a decent place to work, made better by lovely colleagues, and really, really good pay!
Pros
Free coffees/hot drinks.
Cons
Long hours.
Good environment to work in and polite staff
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fowey, Cornwall6 October 2018
Really enjoyable
Easy atmosphere
Fun
I really enjoy working with the Bakery if I struggle iknow someone will help out as best they can
Also they give good rewards if deserved
Pros
55 % discouny
6 November 2018

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed working as part of a fun, supportive team and were rewarded for your hard work :)

Overall a good company to work for
Barista/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 September 2018
A typical day at work for this company would be cheerful and not too difficult once things are running smoothly, I learned skills and knowledge about being a Barista & health and safety precautions with their testing that takes place before becoming a full time member of the 'Team'. The management was adequate is the sense of things were getting done but some things could become unclear due to communication issues between management and 'team members'. (This could have changed)
The workplace culture in a sense is friendly and is probably the best part of the job as once getting to know the current staff you enjoy the job a lot more and going out for drinks and getting to know everyone else better, for my incentives of the job I liked to have goals and challenges set which were given daily.
The hardest part of the job would probably just working when understaffed other than that problem for a short period of time I didn't find the job very difficult.
Pros
50% off Food
Cons
Struggled with the aircon breaking thats about it, could be solved now.
6 November 2018

Thanks for your review. I am pleased you learned lots of new things working for us and were able to develop your skills. It is great that you found our culture the best part of the job and enjoyed the nights out and incentives. We are proud of our culture where everyone is empowered to live for the moment and celebrate success. Thank you!

Great Values and First Class Training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Looe, Cornwall15 September 2018
I absolutely loved my time working for this company, the owners pride and dedication shines through in quality products that I was proud to serve and a first class training programme across the board, the love they have for great food and coffee makes you so enthusiastic to learn more. It was such a great experience and different to any training I’ve had before. I learned so much about products, and the coffee training, learning why beans are flavoured the way they are, and what exact elements go into making that perfect cup of coffee every time for every customer. I was very lucky in my time there to work with a wonderful team, yes you have to work hard and every single one of them did, great team work. My manager was also the company training manager and her love of the company and it’s values are so apparent in her training, she cares about everyone, it was an absolute pleasure to work with some of the best people in the industry.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Leaving
5 November 2018

Thanks for your review. I am thrilled that you loved your time working for us! We are passionate about our people and our coffee which you clearly experienced. Thanks for the pride you took in your work and hope there is an opportunity in the future for you to join us again. We are privileged to have such a great bunch of dedicated, hard-working and enthusiastic colleagues. THANK YOU!

Never enough staff no one cares
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Totnes13 September 2018
They say they have a culture but It was just about growth at the cost of team and standards, never a thank you just wanted more, senior management always looking down their nose at us, head office good.
Pros
discount, design of coffee shop
Cons
everything else
27 September 2018

Thanks for your review. I am sorry you didn't feel appreciated. Looking for growth is one of our values but we also believe in building a positive team spirit, celebrating success, empowering each other and living for the moment. We are very proud of our values which we truly believe in and 90% of colleagues in our recent staff survey said they feel they can deliver the Cornish Bakery values every day in work.

Fun but sometimes boring when it is quiet
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bourton on the Water6 August 2018
You get to meet lots of people throughout the day as you will serve hundreds of customers everyday. All the people who I worked with were very friendly and would always help each other out if they needed it. Sometimes was a bit boring as I was never given coffee machine training so I was mainly in pottwash by myself for 8 hours and only got to serve the customers occasionally when the cafe was not too busy. It is a fun workplace but make sure that you are already or get given coffee machine training as soon as possible or you may end up just washing like me.
10 September 2018

Thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed meeting lots of customers and the fun busy environment at The Cornish Bakery. It is great to hear that there was a positive team spirit in the shop and you felt supported by the team. We really appreciate how hard colleagues work at busy times. I am sorry that you spent long periods of time washing up. We will review this to make sure colleagues are able to rotate around different jobs.

Great staff poor values
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cornwall1 July 2018
It's all about the values to start with.. living the cornish moment moment worthy service. But in reality its all about how much money you can bring in and that is it. Greedy company hiding behind the disguise of saying the right values to reel everybody in.
But high up dont give enough money into labour budgets. Make as much with as little as possible.
This entails stressful job in a stressful environment.
Work hard and get nothing back.
The staff and the management team were wonderful they were in the same boat and highly stressed out i wouldnt want to progress in that company one bit. Summer is all about the money forget if you have children you wont see them during summer holidays. Winter though when the weather is shocking no hours.
Best thing that happened to me was i left.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Greedy company
12 July 2018

Thanks for your review. I am saddened to hear you feel we are a greedy company and that our values are a disguise. We are very proud of our values which we truly believe in and 90% of colleagues in our recent staff survey said they feel they can deliver the Cornish Bakery values every day in work. It is re-assuring that you found our staff and management team to be “wonderful”. We value our wonderful colleagues who we recognise work hard delivering exceptional service to customers during our busy summer season. We provide a high rate of pay with a generous benefits package and in our recent staff survey 70% of colleagues said they feel appreciated by their manager.

Consistent Workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ashford21 May 2018
The Cornish Bakery was a pleasant place to work, I found the staff to be well managed and great to work with, the company offered a boat load of flexible hours through-out the week and overall good management of managers.
Pros
Consistent and Quality
Cons
Busy Workplace
16 August 2018

Thanks for your review. It’s lovely to hear that the bakery you worked in was well managed and a great place to work. We want our colleagues to enjoy coming to work and giving moments to customers, and our flexible hours mean you get a work-life balance to enjoy your own moments too 😊

busy summer
Team Leader - Sales (Former Employee) –  West Bay, Dorset19 April 2018
A very busy summer due to the location, so lots of hours available, but can be hard work at times. Hours quite flexible. A welcoming and helpful character is important.
2 July 2018

Thanks for your review. Our seasonal locations can be very busy, so there is plenty of opportunity to earn extra cash in peak season. We value our hard-working colleagues, who are as you say, are always so welcoming and helpful. I hope you get the opportunity to celebrate the success of your bakery on one of our infamous team nights out!

Review from a 1 year staff member
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Birmingham / NEC26 March 2018
Working for the Cornish Bakery has been frantic from the get go. It can be fast paced, and there is a lot of information to learn if you haven't worked in similar roles, such as the till, procedures with food handling/bagging, product knowledge, customer service procedures, and even learning the basics of barista coffee. This however, is all positive, as it isn't just a boring job having you staring out, waiting for customers to bother you like other stores. Days pass quickly, there's always more to learn, and plenty to keep you busy even on quiet days.

The further you increase your understanding, and the more you learn, the more opportunity arises for progression. Showing commitment for the role and putting in your hours does pay off, and doesn't go unnoticed.

The staff are friendly, and always enjoy having a laugh, but when it gets serious, also know how to run the shops in even the busiest of shows.

Management are generally always friendly, helpful, and empowering from my experience.

Having worked away in other more rural-based shops, I can say most of what I have said, if not all, relates to the other Cornish Bakery stores, in terms of practise, progression, staff and management, and always having more to learn and improve on.

Overall, this being my 6th job, this is by far my most enjoyable, and I am proud to work for the Cornish Bakery. I would recommend anyone looking for a job where they can make a difference to the customers, learn new skills, and find something they can be passionate about, to give the Cornish Bakery a try, even if just for the experience.
Pros
Great incentives, upper management strive on improving standards (for both staff and customers), opportunity for progression, competitive starting wages (always above minimum wage).
Cons
In summer, hours (specific to NEC) can reduce to practically nothing for periods, as lack of events mean not all shops are open. (However driving enables opportunity to work away).
2 July 2018

Thanks for your review. I couldn’t agree more! Our jobs are indeed far from boring, there’s lots to learn, many opportunities for progression, great incentives, colleagues enjoy having a laugh and managers empower colleagues who in turn are incredibly proud to work for us. Thank you for the passion you show for our brand and values. We are privileged to have colleagues like you who love creating memorable moments for customers and recommend us to others. THANKS!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cornish Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.