The Co-Operative Childcare Employee Reviews

Excellent work place
Early Years Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex4 July 2019
I’ve worked with the Coop for just over a year now and cannot fault it. The staff and management are a pleasure to work with and the general running of the nursery is by far the best I’ve seen. Would highly recommend a career within the Coop.
Pros
Lovely staff/management, pay, hours, great environment
Cons
Fun work place and hard working team
Senior Practitioner lunch cover (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex4 July 2019
Love working at chichester nursery I work with a great team who are always thinking up new ideas to have fun with the children to help them achieve to there full potential in a fun and exciting environment, every day is always different but always a reward to see the children's happy faces :-) x
Pros
Working with a great manager, deputy and third in charge!
Fun workplace
Early Years Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London3 July 2019
A typical day at work includes long hours but is interesting seeing the children enjoy their day in activities that you have planned. Colleges are welcoming .
Pros
Gaining experience
Cons
A company invested in colleagues development.
Nursery Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 June 2019
I’ve worked for the company for ten years now and had many different roles, I’ve always been supported by my management teams to progress and develop through training and peer support but also to take a step back when unfortunately I had personal issues going on.

As few comments have suggested there can be issues with staffing but that happens in every industry that relies on people and not computers but the co-operative childcare makes every effort to combat that with different initiatives such as a colleague engagement budget and a profound dedication to supporting the health and mental well-being of their colleagues.

It’s a company that continuously reflects on its policies, procedures and initiatives to offer outstanding service to its children and their families which I for one am proud to work for.
Pros
Training, development, focus on outstanding provision
Such a fun workplace
Senior Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex26 June 2019
I have been working within the company for 6 weeks now and I have settled in so well. The team I work alongside are such a dedicated and friendly group of ladies and are each amazing with the children that we care for. I’m so pleased I joined this team!! #chichester
Pros
Lovely staff, lovely management, lovely children, lovely parents!
Cons
None!!
Team spirit at it’s finest
Quality Training Advisor (Current Employee) –  Field Based26 June 2019
Apply for a job immediately. Great team and great benefits! If you are looking for job security and the chance to progress then look no further. If you are passionate about developing children’s learning then this is the company for you.
Great Place to Work
Senior Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Sussex24 April 2019
The Cooperative Childcare is a great company to work for and in particular the Sussex nursery is a positive and great place to work. The team are friendly and have great relationships with each other, and the management team are approachable and helpful. The nursery has a great environment and the children we are well cared for during the day. I love the fact that the staff are so passionate and work well together to make sure that things get done and the children are getting the best out of their days. There is lots of opportunity for progression and training is offered regularly which is great if you are looking to work your way up into management.
Pros
Great discounts and positive atmosphere
Just shocking
Senior practioner (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex23 April 2019
I am first to admit the money is great as well as all the discounts. However it doesn't equal out with the way you're treated by management and above, you're treated like dirt on the bottom of your shoe, they tell you to ask for help and when you do ask for help they tell you-you're ridiculous. The fact that they don't provide help even when it's needed. Management don't listen area manager doesn't care when you inform her about procedures or laws being broken. Just run if anyone asks you to work for them it will be the worst decision of your life.
Pros
the pay
Cons
management
Awful
Senior Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Witney7 January 2019
Worst place you could ever choose to work. A lot of favouritism and bullying of staff by colleagues and, worst of all, from management. Whatever you do it's never going to be enough. They expect you to work overtime and they're not going to pay for it, They will give you time back when they choose, but not when you need it, as they don't care about people's needs, only the profits they can make. I have had to clean the nursery after working a full day, just because they didn't have a cleaner, and this happened for more than a month. There is a very negative, gossipy atmosphere. People constantly reporting each other to "management" and because of all this there is a constant turnover of staff as people get fed up and leave.
On the Go!
Senior Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire22 October 2018
Working in a childcare based environment owned by a corporate based company definitely proved to be challenging on occasions, how ever, there are many opportunities to grow and expand your career within their varied departments and constant innovation.
The hours can be long but with the right attitude towards team management and working productively, any task can be accomplished.
I have been given the opportunity over the years to take time to expand on education, which effectively contributes to the quality of my performance, as well as training provided by the company.
The routine of my working day remains the same, how ever, the events of the day are always changing. The elements to this job are constantly developing and I find this fast pace challenge a thriving opportunity to build and better my practice.
Most staff are not very intelligent, talk behind each others' backs and are extremely lazy.
Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Midland12 October 2018
The co-op childcare philosophy is great - teaching social responsibility, implementing systems of democracy, openness and equality and using environmentally friendly and sustainable practices. However staff are not trained, motivated or capable to put this into practice so it amounts to a great sales pitch to prospective parents with no substance actually existing behind it. Example - children are not given enough opportunities to be in nature as staff can't be bothered to leave rooms and find getting 'dirty' distasteful. The food cooked for them is not very healthy or appetizing. Morale is low and there is constant backbiting. New rules and risk assessments are continually being imposed without consultation with staff or children and they are so restrictive they suck the fun and learning opportunities out of the children's daily experiences. They are continually being told they can't do something in case they get hurt or dirty. This is no preparation for life and makes for a joyless experience.
Pros
The philosophy
Cons
It is not a reality.
good experience
helper (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester20 August 2018
I have loved doing my work experience there. it was a fun experience as you get to know all the children at this age range. working in the school helped me a lot. The teachers were helpful and I have got the knowledge I need to progress. You get to learn so much when you do work experience in a primary school because you will improve a lot.
Pros
Cons
long hours.
Good place to take your first steps in childcare.
former early years practitioner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 August 2018
The bright side.

The Co-Operative Childcare is a good place to start your career and build up some useful skills. I have learned a lot working within this company and I feel grateful in that sense.

I was based in a nursery located in London, however I have been covering sickness leave in many different settings and I can say that the atmosphere in some of them was great, especially in Woolwich. The team, as far as I could see, is there for the children, they care about them and have a consistent routine.

Unfortunately, not every single unit operates in the same way.

The dark side ( in the nursery I was based).

The turnover of staff, including the management team, is too high. You won't work with the same staff for longer than two months. That makes a negative impact on the children and upset the parents.

Some members of staff are amazing professionals, proactive individuals that make a huge effort to create a fun atmosphere for the children and support them in their learning journey.

Some other members of staff simply spend there eight hours a day, looking for the way to escape from the children.

The main issue regarding staffing is the lack of full-timers. There are not many employees able to do opening and closing, that makes it quite hard for the remaining staff.

One of the managers I have had in this company was great and made me feel supported and valued. She was a team player; a really hands-on manager who wouldn't refuse to do hard physical work if necessary. Unfortunately, she was based in a different setting and left quite soon.

In some
  more... cases, they were just average. No great, no bad.

In some other cases, they were unapproachable, lack of communication skills and certainly incompetent.

I completely understand that the manager's role is different from the practitioner, however, children's come first and their needs should be a priority.

They would work on an extraordinary display for head office to admire, rather than be accomplishing the ratios or checking the stock, even when they were informed that the setting was running out of basic supplies ( wipes, nappies, gloves, any kind of paper or card, food...). That, make it, again, very hard.
lovely place to work
senior early year practitoner (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa23 April 2018
the company offers a good salary, good benefits and a good training programme is in place to enhance your career
certain amount of flexibility in shifts to match family needs
Pros
benifits within the wider co-op company
Cons
rota working, meetings after work some weekend work
Very poor
Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  England14 March 2018
The manager has no people skills and is very cold as a person
You do not feel supported in your role
All good staff leave and no one cares why
When you hand in your notice manager doesn't speak to you again
Area manager is coarse In her manner
They always have staff vacancies and never enough staff and the sickness is horrendous always the same people being off
It is not run well
Pros
Local to home
Cons
To many to list
Valued and great place to work
Senior Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 February 2018
Previously worked in another small private nursery for 9 1/2 years at the end it was money money money no loyalty or staff recognition. There nobody got away on time and rarely got time back.
Ive been with coop childcare for 1 year. I work p/t morning shifts and term time only. (My choice this suits my home life balance).
I wish I'd joined the co-op sooner. If you're a team player then the co-op is for you. If you're only after a pay packet and no give and take then look elsewhere.
Hours can be long I've been asked to work over from time to time. (I get paid for it too. Other staff get time back).
Time is given to read up on policies ..or like me you can read them in your free time at home via the intranet.
Management are excellent and approachable. Staff have been supported and given time off for family problems/pressures.
There are work pressures but only because it comes from head office. So things can get manic if deadlines need to be met for head office.
The people I work with are a canny team. I've helped in another site here in Newcastle and management and staff there are all good too. Things are manic there again usually from head office deadlines.
All sites in Newcastle are backed by excellent area managers.
There's always room for promotion. If you're after further progression then they're a good base to start from.
The coop childcare is for its staff, the users and it's members. There's good discount's across the group, especially food 10% and vouchers to shop at the end of the year. Have their own rewards where staff are recognised for going above
  more... and beyond. They then maybe put forward for a national award for the group.
You can get in touch with head office direct, through area managers, the manager or a colleague rep if you have prob's. (Haven't had the need yet!!).
Having worked in a private setting and now for the coop ...I would recommend the coop.
I think it just depends on your work ethic and your management.If you have caring management then you've hit the jackpot.
Good luck !!
Pros
Excellent management structure, support, benefits, job suited to your home life balance
Great opportunities
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  West Midlands1 October 2017
Have worked for the company since 2012 when they took our nursery over. Since then I have had lots of opportunities for development within the company. Lots of support from managers. The company as a whole has a great vision for continued development of both environments and colleagues.
Pros
Room for growth within the company, benefits from the various co-operative groups
Senior Practitioner (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 September 2017
I have worked there a while and I can't express how lovely the company is. They always make sure that you are welcome and they make sure that before you start you have an induction. I would recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Gift certificates at the end of the year
Good society, good benefits
Nursery Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 August 2017
I never had an issue working for The Co-operative Childcare. As a manager the work load was a lot but central support was always there to guide you. Good time managment was needed. The co-operative childcare shaped my career.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive pay
Cons
Great place to work 😀 professional company with you at heart
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire20 June 2017
I have been employed for 13 years with Midcounties Co-operative. They are a company who listen and take action. Every voice is heard with our colleague council representatives, parent representatives, team meetings, open door policies and colleague surveys. The company creates opportunity for you to share your ideas and concerns.
The team that I work with each day, are dedicated and care for each of our children and their families.
We may at times have to work additional hours, but no more than you would expect from being in a caring profession, it will never be a clock in clock out job.
My role is challenging and rewarding. The company have a excellent talent managment process which supports you in becoming the best practitioner you can be.
Pros
Excellent talent management process, Good colleague engagmant, Great colleague discounts, rewards and recognition.
Cons
Limited roles when reached management level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Co-Operative Childcare. Our community is ready to answer.