The City of Liverpool College

The City of Liverpool College Employee Reviews

The diversity of the student cohort is what makes it a really engaging place to work. The best part of the job is facilitating students to rebuild their livelihoods, sometimes from scratch, in a new country.
Inappropriate jokes in the staffroom, unqualified non-specialist lecturers. no care for privacy around students data or child protection, no code of conduct provided, do not investigate complaints, no regard for employees belongings, terrible organisation, non-existent planning, not covid secure
Pros
Cycle to works scheme
Cons
Long hours, meetings during PPA
There's lots of pressure on teaching staff. Poor leadership and ineffective management results in low motivation of staff at all levels. Tight management of budgets results in outdated and insufficient resources.
I worked in the Community Colleges as a permanent part time member of teaching staff. I loved the variety, the students and staff of all ages were great. But my manager was horrendous and biased, giving a returning teacher whom she liked more and more hours and favourability. This was also seen by other staff too. Even though I,d had a very good review, Also, this senior manager gave temporary agency staff teaching hours when there was permanent members of staff available and needing the work. I have,nt been made redundant, but I haven't had any teaching hours offered since.
Pros
Working in the community colleges with lovely, friendly staff and students from different areas of Liverpool.
Cons
Senior, bullying managers with high opinions of themselves.
I enjoyed my time at The City of Liverpool College. I am on as Bank Staff. It can be busy, but it is manageable and there are staff always on hand to help. Sometimes you had to use your own initiative when staff not available and it is busy, but that is not a bad thing. There are various Departments so you can work in different roles which gives you more experience. Everyone worked as a team always. It was nice meeting new people. I was sorry to go when the contract ended.
Unsupportive Management at all levels with little prospect of advancement. Constant threats of redundancy making life stressful due to no job security.
Not the college I started at many years ago. Change in management 7 years ago has slowly ruined the place. Corrupt practices, bullying at senior management level, and no motivation for anyone. The people who care for students are the ground level staff. Above that no one cares about student experience. Classes are cancelled constantly and there is no cover in place. are canceees at the drop of a hat and sickness cover does not exist.
Overall I enjoyed the course, tutors were easy going and friendly and it was situated in an area that was easy to get to. However, other students were distracting and were never properly disciplined by staff which made it hard to concentrate. Some modules were rushed through which also took away from the course.
During my typical workday, I am responsible for overseeing my students as they progress on their studies. I check in and help them with any issues they may be having such as doing group work, mock exams, coursework or time management. I keep in touch with students, update them on their progress and make sure they are satisfied with the lessons delivered. A company’s mission, values, ethics, and environment all play into its culture. The City of Liverpool has a friendly culture that shows that employees engage with one another in a positive way throughout the workday. It indicates that employees are encouraged to explore the full potential of their skill sets, and that they’re likely to grow through the job experience. The College culture is inspiring, and employees will feel compelled to work hard. The culture suggests that employees will feel invested in their work because it speaks to their interests. The College is invested in employees’ growth and development. Employees and teams will work well together cross-functionally to accomplish their goals. Lack of teamwork, empathy, and support between students, teachers working too many roles at the same time, no time to deal with bodily functioning, teachers being made accountable for more than they should, not enough time to plan, excessive paperwork for data collection and keeping up with the expectations of the admin are the hardest part of my teaching job. Preparing and teaching, without a doubt. I enjoy preparing questions for the students to answer and then making then think, and not to only listen, but trying to - more...
Worked as a lecturer here for over a decade. Students are mostly brilliant however senior management are absolutely abhorrent. Bullying from the top level down which in turns made people only look out for themselves. Teamwork no longer exists. I would not recommend this place to anybody. Classes cancelled constantly due to no one to cover. In the last 6 months my dept has gone from six members of staff to one with replacements being unqualified people.
Dreadful mismanagement. Unfair behaviour and unacceptable levels of stress and cruelty towards staff with MH problems. Classes closing and being reduced constantly and staff are held responsible.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Unprecedented levels of stress
For work-life balance just read work but don't expect to have your work recognised. They are still in a long term pay-freeze so you don't even get the financial reward you worked for. Management is oppressive, reactive not proactive and the teachers are always blamed, Do not work here.
Pros
The students are generally great
Cons
Management, management, management
Poor and constantly changing management, large overturning of staff, poor moral at work, students are good and enthusiastic, but pressure is an issue.
Excellent benefits. Good rates of pay. Great holidays. Helpful Team. Learnt a great deal with the cooking team on a temporary contract. People are all friendly and enjoy working for the college.
teaching and developing curriculum. The culture is not supportive and I found it difficult as a new teacher often requiring support from senior members of staff.
Poor place to work Management did not listen Workers unhelpful Bullying atmosphere Teaching staff are great It support staff are mostly dishonest and vindictive
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Negative environment
I enjoyed meeting new students and as it was a fast track course there were two intakes per term. The hardest part of the job was leaving for new horizons
Pros
Good company, new friends and a sense of achievement
Cons
Paper work in education is rediculous
Rude and ruthless senior management. Hardworking teachers but a very difficult atmosphere to work in where rudeness was encouraged. Corporate and unethical.
Managing the teams and catching up with plans for the day. Looking at priorities and planning ahead. Following up on actions. Communicating with management, Communicating with partners, employers & stakeholders. Depending on time of year I could be preparing for a performance review, Ofsted, designing new programmes according to funding. Managing delivery of programmes and staff related issues. The role was very broad as it was also a cross-college role so some days I would be meeting with Heads of other areas in planning aspects of support for their learners Learned that you need a good team around you to get the job done and that it works both ways so you also need to be an effective leader.
Pros
Varied, rewarding, interesting, enjoyable, worked externally as well as internally
Cons
Carry out progress reviews for apprentices attending college Employer engagement Customer Service Qualification requirements Funding Work place culture: Generally demoralize amongst staff working under constraints of continued financial reductions and policy of only replacing senior managers. Working with managers who failed to manage Most enjoyable. Seeing apprentices complete their studies and either go on for further education or progress into their own businesses.
Great coworkers, a lot of help offered by coworker and management staff, the resources available for teaching were helping allowing for sessions for students to have interactive work.