THE CHILDREN'S SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Loved it.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloxwich, West Midlands12 March 2019
Absolutely loved working here. obviously being a voluntary role, I didn't get paid for my work which is no biggie. I did my part and that's what matters to me.
Pros
Part Time Hours
Simple job
Volunteer (Cashier) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 March 2019
It's not an outstanding job, it's fairly simple and boring but they allow you to have a relaxed attitude at work whilst carrying out tasks. It's a job that is good for benefiting society.
it was a ok place
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denton21 February 2019
it was okay and the staff were alright i learned good teamwork and communication a typical day was steaming clothes and stacking shelfs. The management were okay the hardest part of the job were making sure that everything was right
My time at the children's society
Volunteer/retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Blaydon9 December 2018
I started volunteering at the The Children’s Society in early 2014. My duties included working in the stockroom, dealing with deliveries and providing cover in the manager’s absence. I volunteered at least 2 days a week every week until March 2018. I would be asked to cover the shop when the manager was on holiday/ ill or it was their weekly day off. On occasions at very short notice I was asked to come in for the last hour or so of trading as they had no one to cash up and lock the shop(despite it meaning an hour of travel time there and back I always said yes). Other times I wasn’t asked I would turn up for my usual volunteer days and be told by a volunteer that the manager wasn’t in and that the shop keys had been left behind for me to lock up by myself or that another volunteer would be locking up the shop but that I would have to stay behind with them as they were nervous about locking up on their own.

During my time there I worked under 3 different managers and an area manager – all of whom trusted me to look after the shop (open/close shop, cashing up, banking takings etc) when they weren’t in.

Eventually in 2018 the company decided they would like to open on a Sunday (for a trial period to see if it was worthwhile). This was a paid Retail Assistant position for 3 months. I applied for the job and got it. During the 3 months I had no help as they couldn’t find volunteers free to work on a Sunday. So I had to do everything on my own – serving customers, taking donations into the back room, putting out stock etc. I would often come in earlier than my specified
  more... hours as it was the only time I could get stock ready in time for opening. I would also have to cut short my unpaid lunch break to carry out shop duties and I regularly had to stay later than my specified hours as I had to cash up and carry all the donations and clothes hangers upstairs and tidy up. I was never paid extra for this. My contract was extended twice due to the successful Sunday trial. The company decided they would like to recruit an assistant manager to run the shop on a Sunday and cover another day during the week. Considering I had met all the targets that were given I felt I was in a good position to get the job. I was even told at the interview they were very happy with what I had done. However after the interview I received a phone call informing me that I wouldn’t be offered the job through no fault of my own but they felt that I didn’t have experience managing difficult employees(this never seemed to bother them when they needed me to cover the manager’s holidays or when we had no manager etc), when I mentioned that I had managed different volunteers plenty of times in the past I was told it wasn’t the same as they were more like friends and that me being a volunteer there for so long had actually counted against me and I would benefit from going to one of their other shops. I felt like all the hard work I had put in was for nothing and that the charity had used me. The reward I received for everything I had done for the charity? Someone else would be taken over Sunday trading and I was made redundant a few weeks after the interview. I was asked to complete an exit questionnaire I completed it stating all my concerns, and that I felt it wasn’t right the way they treat people - they’ve never bothered to reply.

I worked here for free for years. I often did extra days to help the charity. I’m sure the charity does good things with the money earned however I feel the way they treated me and some of the other volunteers is disgusting. They have been more than happy to use me and other volunteers for their own benefit however when a paid vacancy arises we’re rarely considered. The only good thing about working here is the volunteers they are always friendly and offer support whenever needed.
Pros
The volunteers
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottingham21 October 2018
The people are great and help you settle in. I love the working environment and the friendship staff have. This is a lovely charity and I’ve been volunteering since January 2017 and have no problems.
The Children Society
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Manchester17 October 2018
I am working more then 6 years in this charity shop. I have lots of experience like using the till , balancing the takings at the end of the day, dealing with the public, keeping the shop tidy and sorting out the stock.
I am enjoying every works but , I like most sorting and dealing with customer.
Pros
non
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Consett, Durham25 September 2018
very friendly staff learnt me alot had areally good time with all the staff customers where great in fairness the childrens society is an amazing place to work.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
dont get paid
Just cheap labour
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear20 September 2018
I worked as a volunteer at this organisation for a while. Typical day is either working in the stockroom steaming or sorting stock if you're lucky they might let you do something else like working on the till.

What did I learn? That using the word "charity" usually gets them the result they want. If volunteers were unable to cover the managers absence(open the shop, stay later and cash up etc) they're told the charity shop will have to close early and lose a few hours sales. A sly bit of emotional blackmail.

With regards to management? they tell you all the good stuff to get you to volunteer - learn new skills, helping a "charity", working with the volunteers. I learnt to steam clothes, how to put clothes on a hanger, how to put price stickers on dvds if you want to gain customer service skills by working on the till ( to help you get a paid job in retail) good luck.

It is a really friendly place to work, the volunteers made me feel welcome and offered help whenever I needed it. However at times I felt like myself and the other volunteers were being taking advantage of. I also noticed that when paid jobs became available at the "charity" the volunteers that had been there a long time were never offered the job even though they had the skills needed and were trying to gain employment.

I stayed as long as I did because I felt like I was doing something good but I eventually decided that I couldn't support the charity shop any longer as myself and other volunteers were just viewed as cheap labour to them. Yes you can gain some skills but if you choose to volunteer
  more... here then please make sure you don't let them take advantage of you. My advice would be to try other charities.  less
Pros
The other volunteers
Fun enrvironment
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Chingford, Greater London14 September 2018
I only worked here for 2 weeks for my work experience and i have to say i really enjoyed working here. I had to complete a lot of tasks and communicate a lot with fellow members.
worked as manager
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayes, Greater London7 September 2018
No respect for volunteers or trying to help young people with mental heath they never
Answer a question straight when asked. Some discrimination even when they are tol
Never respond back to the person involved. Use the volunteers just to get free Labour apart from
That a lot of underhanded going on a few more thing can be said but I won't
Pros
help with travel for volunteers
Cons
long hours no gratitude for the volunteers, or care of special need people, con artist charity pride themselves in helping young people not true
Lovely atmosphere to work in.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire9 August 2018
The job was very rewarding as you knew you was doing something with your time for a better cause.
I learnt how to deal with customers and grow as an individual.
Very rewarding work
Project Worker (Former Employee) –  Leeds22 May 2018
Committed staff who are dedicated to provide high quality service which gives disabled children inclusive and positive experiences. Amazing team to work with. It was really satisfying to deliver 4 successful group-work in 10 months.
Pros
Supportive Team
Cons
Limited budget
Experience
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham25 April 2018
This job is good for acquiring retail or customer service experience, it is also a fun and productive environment to work in and the manager is fair and friendly
great
Sales Assistant (Voluntary) (Former Employee) –  leyland24 April 2018
it a very good place to work your part of a team of great people as your also helping children as well.The shop and the support you get for working there is good.
Its good
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chester11 April 2018
Relaxed but productive environment. As a volunteer i enjoy the time i spend there. The manager is excellent, very nice and good man. Flexible hours make it perfect.
Shopfloor work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chorley14 March 2018
I worked on the shop floor for the charity store assisting customers and dealing with items which had been given in as a donation. Basic retail postion.
Volunteer Work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester26 February 2018
I have worked there for 3 or 4 months as a volunteer. It is a nice place to work with. It gives you the feeling of being helpful towards the society.
Very supportive employer where initive is appreciated and hard work positively encouraged
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Calverton8 February 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed working for the Children's Society and found the experience to be a valuable asset in my work. I have gained skills and confidence.
Pros
Work experience, meeting new people and giving something back to my community
Well organised
Shop floor assistant (Current Employee) –  Birtley, Tyne and Wear1 February 2018
I work as a volunteer with one of Children's Society's charity shops. Working here has been a great learning experience for me so far. As a shop floor assistant I have to cull out of date items everyday and put out newly donated items. At the same time I work on the till as well. I also have to make sure that the shop floor is clean. Whenever someone makes a donation, I take the donated goods to the back office. The work environment is conducive for growth.
Efficient Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London29 January 2018
It's a good environment, meeting customers and having the interaction is fun. I have improved my social, communication and team - working skills. The hardest part of the job is deciding what can or can't be sold.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours