THE CHILDREN'S SOCIETY

THE CHILDREN'S SOCIETY Employee Reviews

United Kingdom114 reviews
Fantastic staff, training opportunities and wonderful families and children. Workplace was first class and resources always available. Good working practices and access to training.
Pros
Enhancing the lives of children
Cons
Red tape
The society runs on volunteers, and expect too much from volunteers! They are treated as unpaid staff. Management demanding to achieve unrealistic sales targets.
A good environment to gain retail skills, if you can cope with responsibilities and pressure from regional managers.

Shop targets set to support the cost of management rather than the aims of the Childrens Society.

Would not recommend!
Staff were friendly and I learned how to do stock rotation and sort clothes and items out. I also learned how to use the till and tag clothes and on how to price them.
Fun place to work for. Management is very good and the staff are friendly and easy to get along with. You can have a laugh and a joke with everyone. It's nice to be able to work in a fast paced work place.
Good training, allows people to express themselves. Wished I had stayed there in hindsight. Would work for them again if given opportunity. Would volunteer again in future to gain a position.
The people are amazing and supportive. I loved my job there.

The only thing is that contracts come to an end, but the management fight to retain good staff.

I learnt a lot and was happy in my job.
Its a great place to work and rewarding job. All staff are friendly and helpful. It has helped me to make a difference in young peoples lives and inspired me to do more voluntary work.
it was very fun and rewarding i really enjoyed it, it was very rewarding and they work around your lifestyle, really great team and learn loads of skills
A variety of tasks everyday which suited me, enjoyable workplace and fun and friendly staff, flexible hours and learned a lot through my volunteering experience
This is an Unorganised company that does not put children at the heart of there work and become very hostile if this is challenged . A lot of staff leave and they are constantly under investigation for bullying .
Excellent working environment
Friendly

Compassionate

Professional

Proud to help Children from all backgrounds

Always enthusiastic to assist volunteers and customers

Excellent Reputation

Thoroughly recommend Volunteering for The Children Society
Friendly, easy going, flexible and genuinely a nice place to work.

Up to date recruitment systems and everyone is so friendly.

Would recommend as a place to work.
Everybody is so friendly,helpful and i can learn how a retail space operates within a welcoming environment. I enjoy interacting with the public every day.
Volunteering got me out into the community.The store manager was friendly and approachable and the team worked well towards achieving the Children's Society retail targets.

However I didn't feel that the overall organisation valued its volunteers for the hard work and commitment they provided throughout the year. I found that 2 years was quite enough.
Pros
TCS failed to deal with a culture of workplace bullying. Their HR system was ineffective with a high staff turnover. The welfare of their staff is their lowest priority.
Very useful experience and good way to learn on how to work as a team. As it is a charity shop you don’t get payed as it’s voluntary however for someone who is just looking for how the working world is this is a great start.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
No money as it’s voluntary work
Fun team of people, very friendly and management were always eager to assist you! Often difficult to work in hot weather especially when in the stock room due to a lack of air conditioning. This position allowed me to gain confidence and develop skills which I can use in future jobs.
Pros
Fun people, never boring.
Cons
Not a long-term solution unless in a managerial position.
When I volunteered at The Children's Society a typical day for me was working at the till, cash handling and dealing with customers, I learnt how to operate an electronic till and learnt how to handle customers cash and give them the correct amount of change back if required to. While working at The Children's Society the hardest part for me was first learning how to operate the till however after a few days of being on the till I quickly learnt how to work the till with no mistakes. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was meeting new, friendly people and gaining new life skills.
Pros
Friendly collugues and no specific breaktimes
Cons
N/a
avoid this place at all costs. volunteers run the shops do what they want and don,t like new managers coming in. they do not make new people welcome. the company lets volunteers open and close the shop, cash up and do banking. This is all wrong paid staff should do this. I learnt nothing from working here as I was experienced anyway, but not impressed with the area manager, no support from them, volunteers turn up when it suit them, sometimes leaving the shop with just the manager, so no breaks and no lunch. this company needs to learn to respect the paid staff more. would not work here again
Pros
Cons
everything ekse
Worked as a volunteer. Wasn't very impressed with the work ethics and culture. But it was a nice way to get out of the house. Met some interesting people
Pros
Ok
Cons
Work ethics
I loved this volunteering position the manager and staff were lovely. I,m a people person and enjoy dealing with the public everyday is different and challenging. I learned a lot about customer service. I got on well with all the staff members.
Pros
Customer Service experience
Cons
Not paid work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE CHILDREN'S SOCIETY. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8