The Challenge Employee Reviews

What is the challenge?
Outreach Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey9 July 2019
NCS is a government-backed programme which brings young people aged 15 – 17 from different backgrounds together for a common purpose.

Social mixing is at the heart of NCS. By making the programme accessible for everyone and by setting team goals and challenges, we inspire new friendships across differences. The Challenge is now a leading provider of NCS, working with our partners and seasonal staff to deliver the programme to tens of thousands of young people every year.
Great colleagues and good range of responsibilities within role.
Assistant Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2019
-Enjoyed working with colleague as generally they were supportive.
-Wide range of responsibilities and tasks within role which is good for developing experience.
Warm culture / fun and relaxed environment
Full-time Assistant Account Manager (Current Employee) –  York5 March 2019
A typical day at work is varied ranging from attending meetings, making calls and sending emails and completing other administrative tasks. This makes the working very dynamic.

I have developed my communication and negotiation skills since joining the company, as well as how to work efficiently in a fast-paced sales-driven environment.

Managerial approach is decent in my department, in terms of highlighting your successes and areas for improvement.

Workplace culture is diverse and inclusive and there are a range of social events to attend throughout the year.

The hardest part of my job is managing a large of portfolio of accounts and the most enjoyable aspect of my job is the fact that there are always opportunities for personal development.
Pros
Diverse work environment
Cons
Non-flexible working hours
Young, Dynamic and challenging
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom31 January 2019
The Challenge is a young, dynamic and constantly changing organisation. The values and ethos of the programme are amazing but the seasonal peaks in the delivery model make it difficult to maintain a work life balance during the peak season. There are lots of opportunities for training, development and progression but this may come at a sacrifice to life outside of work.
Pros
Fun and dynamic team, great overall aim and ethos.
Cons
Unsociable and unpredictable hours
Hard, rewarding, fun and uplifting work
NCS Trainer (contract) (Current Employee) –  London6 January 2019
The best work culture of any organisation I have ever worked for. Employees at all levels are taken seriously and their feedback is not only taken on board, but actively sought after. Excellent opportunities for advancement.
Friendly place to start a career
Assistant Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester29 December 2018
There are varied opportunities at The Challenge and the opportunity to develop and build on your skills. The downfall in the company is the little movement for long term career development as there are very few management roles to move in to. Friendly office and great like minded people.
Being a call centre agent was too much of a drain on the brain
Call Team Agent (Former Employee) –  Old Trafford, Greater Manchester11 December 2018
Although my colleagues were really friendly, I personal found that the role of a call centre agent in this particular environment was really taxing and although training was provided, it seemed really vague in context with the duties you had to undertake on a daily basis.
Pros
Friendly working staff
Cons
Subject matters were really hard to deal with. Abusive clients on the phone
Fun workplace
NCS (Former Employee) –  Bury9 October 2018
NCS was very fun and i learnt a lot of new skills doing this as we learnt time based skills and how to work in a team as well as on your own effectively. In this my confidence was raised.
Pros
meeting new lifelong friends
Fast paced, challenging yet rewarding
Senior Mentor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham20 September 2018
The hardest part of this job was the fact that it is challenging in terms of working with young people who at times aren't the most cooperative as well as the fact that everyday is completely different from the last and new challenges always come up. However it is highly rewarding being able to see a group of young people who previously didn't know each other form such a strong and effective group who have the potential to go on and accomplish something great.
productive fun and enjoyable
NCS (Former Employee) –  Manchester5 September 2018
i learned how to run a charity case support and sponsor charities and homeless, the hardest part was going past my comfort zone the most enjoyable part was mixing with people serving the homeless and helping people, even it means the smallest thing. The workplace we had changed on a weekly basis where we had to get used to it but also find our own enjoyment which me and my group inevitably did, this also helped me open my eyes to many new opportunities
Pros
meeting new and different people culturally as well as ethically
Cons
different environments
Excellent career opportunities and very supportive management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London1 August 2018
I cannot reccommend this company enough to staff and young people wanting to attend. In-house training is provided when you have chosen your role. Alongsid fre accommodation and food when you are working. Excellen salary.
Agency with no backbone..
Driver (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire6 July 2018
Very disappointed.. Good luck getting paid from this agency.. my wages have been wrong every week where you have to keep chasing the pay and we're speaking 3 figure sums short on some occasions.. the company doesn't have the backbone to to even chase it up.. best avoiding.
Pros
Some interesting jobs
Cons
Have to chase wages on weekly basis
Fun workplace
Outreach Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham , England6 July 2018
Gained experience helping under privileged young people. Worked in a team environment and liaised with heads of youth service in England.
Rewarding work
Pros
Free student Card
Programme Associate Manger
Programme Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 May 2018
Working at The Challenge was an amazing opportunity for me to excel! Whilst I was often faced with various challenges, a typical day included speaking to high profile partners, checking on staff team through one to one meetings and ensuring all the necessary arrangements were completed before the project kick off.
Pros
Working from home opportunities
Cons
Having to be on call
Great coworkers and atmosphere, stressful job
Assistant Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
I loved my coworkers and the environment at The Challenge, I found the role specifically to be very stressful and difficult to balance with a personal life.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Work-life balance
Positive atmosphere and rewarding job
Telesales / Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester29 January 2018
One of the best place i have worked in Manchester. The Challenge workplace culture promotes knowledge sharing and diversity. The job itself is rewarding knowing how it impact young people in the society. The management staffs are very approachable and always willing to assist in anyway they can.
Fun place to work
NCS Manager (Current Employee) –  London15 January 2018
The Challenge is a fun place to work where you can work with like minded people all striving towards the same goal of getting young people to go on the NCS programme.
Brilliant Not-for-profit
Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester16 November 2017
The Challenge is a brilliant place to work. The staff are really enthusiastic, friendly and interesting people, who are all passionate about achieving the organisation's vision of a more integrated society. There are lots of L + D opportunities and staff are encourgaed to think creatively and outside of the box.
Pros
Great collegues, holiday and entitlements and benefits.
Cons
Limited progression opportunities
National Citizen Service - learn new skills & meet new people
National Citizen Service (Former Employee) –  Ealing, Greater London25 October 2017
National Citizen Service was an awesome experience that i had as it really helped me to learn more skills such as teamwork, leadership and decision making.The hardest part for me was when me and my team did a presentation in front of Dragon's Den from council as i was really nervous. However, the most enjoyable part of NCS (National Citizen Service) was when I used to work in team for example to do different, fun activities such as climbing.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Inspiring, positive social change happens here
Assisstant Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire20 September 2017
Awesome job although the hours are longer than you think. Management really care about building resilience and getting feedback from current staff. flexible work day when not on delivery as well which is a bonus.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Challenge. Our community is ready to answer.

The Challenge Reviews by Location