The Calico Group

The Calico Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
Mostly Contract work
A good company but tenders for a lot of Contract work, resulting in short term employment if they aren't successful in retendering. Very supportive of its employees and offers a lot of support around training and development. They also run a good employee recognition programme.
Pros
free fruit
Cons
Temporary work
Great Company
I am currently working as a Support officer, I love my job, I have never worked for a company so good, so focused on their duty of care for staff, If you get the opportunity to work for a company with morals then grab it
DB
Pros
Everything good
Cons
Barley view is currently in finacial.difficulty and redtructuring and getting rid of staff
Barley view has been open a year and is.now in financial difficulties and so are restructuring and getting rid of staff ..meaning less staff doing more jobs and less care to the residents
Good company to work at
I have been working for Calico Group for 5 years and it has been a very good experience for myself so far. I work among great people who are real team players. It helps us to provide the best possible support for our service users. I had loads of opportunities for personal development and I felt very supported by my management when I was facing personal difficulties.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Salary
Nepostim and Overconfident
I must say that I have never been so relieved to leave an employer. Calico is an organisation run on nepotism, it is not what you know but who you know that counts.
I was transferred over from my original employer and Calico were utterly Ill-prepared for the new contract. It ended up being a farce which is why I left and I have never been so happy with my new employer.

A few middle managers are ok but most were promoted way beyond their capabilities.

It is also worth noting the started off as a social landlord a few years back. Since then they have expanded vastly throughout the north west providing various other services. The have become hugely over confident thinking they can do anything. From substance misuse to education, from furniture to refuges Calico can do it. They quality of service is questionable.

Head office is in Burnley where there is a lot of hidden friendships and if you are not from Burnley you feel left out.

You will hear the words "social profit" being brandished around. What they are that means is that everything boils down to one thing - funding. Throwing money at life's social ills is not the answer.

In summary Calico is run on nepostism where ability counts for nothing. I must say that since leaving them I have never had such serenity and peace of mind.
Pros
Ipad
Cons
Hidden friendships
Best place to work
Calico-SafeNet care about social profit, the environment, the clients, and staff.
If your looking for a great company look no further.

Some people leave and the best come back... couldn’t wish for a better employe.. job satisfaction 100 percent, look no further
Pros
Free tea coffee juice water and fruit all delivered to your workplace
Best company values
Calico SafeNet - the best company values.. they care about us... they care about social profit, clients and staff...

May sound cheesy but they are the best employer...
Pros
Free tea coffee and fruit
Cons
Summary
This was a highly demanding job within a difficult environment. It was physically very strenuous and mentally taxing. I got on really well with the other team members and we worked successfully as a team.
Accountant
Calico Group is a registered charity, whose focus is on making a difference to people's lives within the community.
They offer flexible working conditions, in-house training, a pleasant working environment.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Fun and Good job
A typical day at work would involve working on the Telephone and talking to clients, collecting information to fill out on initial screening forms. I would also file forms into folders, create folders, call clients, answer telephones and filling information onto the database onto the computer.
I learned how to ask question to clients through the telephone correctly, i also learned office work in general.

my management were very nice and understanding and give me all the help and training i needed. my co-workers were very nice and they helped me by teaching me how to talk to clients, fill in initial screenings and use the database.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting co-workers and helping client with issues.
Pros
working with clients, helping co-workers with paperwork
floating support
I am a support worker and work as part of the floating support team. the management are very supportive and encourage me to strive my best.
apprenticeship
I did fence repairs with a time served joiner. I have learned how to safely repair a fence. The management were helpful and understanding. My co-workers were friendly and looked out for me. The hardest part of the job were leaving the job and the most enjoyable part was seeing the end product.
like to get thing done cheap
calico likes to preach that they have good values and take care of there work force , in reality , they want the job doing as quickly and cheaply as possible .
they have a lot of trainees , which is good , but they are made to do the work of tradesmen and calico have realised that the more trainees they have , the less tradesmen they need or so they think , within the painting department , there is a lot of backstabbing and everyone blames everyone else for thing that are wrong , if your not from burnley you are made to feel left out , nobody seems to have any pride in there work , its just a case of get it done , if its wrong we will blame someone else and we'll just go onto the next job and let someone else sort the mess out
Cons
no job security, feel undervalued
Calico was an enjoyable work place until restructure and work loads were made unrealistic to acheive
Calico Was an experience until the restructure of kpis and budget targets
Budgets were set to 500 voids per year but we were more like delivering 615 for year end which I was on target for delivery with a team of in house DLO
Pros
flexi time
Cons
long hours and unrealistic targets and kpi's