Play YouTube video button
Information from The British Army:

The British Army Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,938 reviews
Found 2,938 reviews matching the search
Ive learned to become more confident with myself and to present myself better to others around me. The communications skills the army have given me have helped me keep a steady and good conversation. Meeting the people who i met had made the job ten times better as i knew i had support no matter where i turned.
Pros
Great Fitness
Cons
Draining hours on exercise
Would not take my son on who has aspergers on his medical records, but he is high functioning and you would not even know he had it these days. Not even on meds for it
Join the army if you want to kiss your life goodbye...full of bullys and you'll lose any freedom you have or sent to some country to blow up some innocent families just to make money for people in power...
Pros
Cons
Too many to put in box
I am not writing you a review because its not my responsibility to do so but I can not continue with my current job application without doing so this is rubbish
Being a soldier in the British army is a good way to grow and become a better person you learn to work together and become more of a team player
Also you travel the world
Pros
Pension
Cons
Time away from family
I do enjoy driving it’s a passion of mine, I just fancy a change in my life.
I want to meet new people and have a new challenge for myself to start a new career path.im a very hard worker and don’t mind working long hours with 100% effort.
The day to day living can vary can be relaxed and fast paced if you enjoy the lifestyle then I would recommend. I am happy I’ve done it but I know now it’s time to move on to the next chapter of my career.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Taking away from civilian life
Did 6 years Infantry with NCO Cadre and most people are leaving after 4 years minimum service. Very disorganised with low manning. Rife with bullies so if you can't stand up for yourself avoid. If anything goes wrong it turns into a blame game and group punishments are handed out. Low pay for effort and hours you work on exercises and most of the tours see no action nowadays.
Pros
Easy to save up money if you avoid drinking culture, driving licence
Cons
Low manning, long hours, far from home, management doesn't care about you as you can't quit, bullies
Best years of my life made great m8s that last a lifetime team work laughs and cry... Sports, adventure
training, promotion ladder, education courses, travel..
Pros
Free fitness, uniform, monthly pay, great m8s for life
Cons
Long hours, wet tired cold exhausted
Excellent place to work. It does not matter who or whats your background is, you will have a fair and equal treatment. All the stuff are really nice and helpful.
Pros
Diverse
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The British Army?
Spent 5 and half years in the Army just realized army wasn't for me.
Be prepared to be busy, overworked, underpaid, depressed and degraded. A typical day in work would consist of PT in the morning, first parade after and then normal jogging of work for the rest of the day with naafi break and lunch added in.
Shocking! Getting told what to do by a bunch of absolute wet wipes that don’t have a clue what they’re doing 90% of them promoted of time served and couldn’t even spell their own name if someone spelled it out for them!
Pros
Cons
It’s all a con
hard work but good benefits and you are looked after well administration wise. a rewarding job but long hours and no extra pay for extra work.........
This isn't a job, it's a way of life. You make friends for life and experience things you'll never be able to in a normal civilian role. The day to day life involves training physically and ensuring competent with weapon systems and general soldier skills.

Be prepared for long deployments, time away from your family and friends. Rewarding with some extra cash and experiences.

Management can either kill your enjoying in the role or make it! Management is changed routinely (2 yearly).
Pros
Deployments world wide.
Cons
Be prepared to work for extended times under extreme conditions and unsociable hours.
Having worked in the British Armed Forces has given me a lot of opportunities to grow and be nurtured to be the best at anything you do, whether given a mission or a task at a daily basis. Two things I have learned in my career as a British Soldier, Adaptability and Flexibility.
Pros
Travelling around the Globe
Cons
Always away from family
Once a great organisation, now marred by health and safety and political correctness. Not half as good at it once was. Good social life but management largely consists of yes men clinging onto the promise of a good pension.
Pros
social life
Cons
Pros. Brilliant way to spend your twenties and possibly early thirties. See the world, meet like minded people and find genuine comradeship that you won’t find anywhere else. Being part of something bigger.
Cons. Lots of time away from family. Not great when you’ve got small kids. Weekends and holidays not a given. Gets tough on the knees and back as you get older
I lived in Germany to start with in the Army, it was absolutely brilliant, but then did a couple of postings to the UK and that was enough for me, UK postings are rubbish, it was like doing all the rubbish jobs for the council, it was constant pointless work... guard, cleaning camp etc, just to fill the quiet times, I did 10yrs and went on adventure training once so I wouldnt pay any attention to the work hard play hard balance,
Pros
Secure income, medical & dental
Cons
Uk postings are horrible
Get messed about daily.
They have complete control of your life, so don't ever expect take holiday when you want or to have your weekends off.

On that note, no overtime pay. Get paid the exact same if you work 4 days a week for a month, or if you work every weekend.

Most of the seniors and officers are on some sort of colossal power trip and will F you over for literally no apparent reason.
Pros
Sometimes paid to do nothing
Cons
Hours, Pay, Treatment, Management, Freedom
The job wasn't to bad very hard and stressful, long hours most of the times but the lads become a family and make things a whole lot easier because they become a second family to you
Pros
the lads you meet
Cons
long hours and cookhouse food is bad
I enjoyed my time in the UOTC both socially and militarily. It was well organised and gave me some good experences fopr use in civilian as well as military life.
Pros
Friends
Cons
Exposure to element
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The British Army. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2