The Black Country Living Museum Employee Reviews

3.3Pay & Benefits
2.8Job Security & Advancement
Not worth it
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands6 April 2018
I started the job feeling positive believing it would be a great place to work. Little did I realise it turned out to be the total opposite.

Worked long hours with insufficient breaks, often the rota was not completed with the required number of staff so the limited team was left to struggle on throughout the shift with little or often, no help from management. E.g half term peak week, having 2 members of staff to run the cafe on site which gets very busy.

I worked mainly 8 hour shifts and was lucky to get a break. They expect you to work practically full time during the summer months and then in the winter you are lucky to get one shift a week as they put you on a ‘casual’ 0 hours contract.

They only pay you until the time the museum closes, however most days you do not end up leaving until well after to complete all the clean down jobs, counting money etc.

When working events you are put on for 14+ hours leaving work late and are expected to be back in again for 9am the next morning.
You are made to feel like a number and aren’t appreciated or valued by management whatsoever.
Cons
Long hours, lack of breaks, poor management, no appreciation from management
Always interesting.
Events Manager and Music Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dudley4 August 2017
I often work seasonally with the museum, often around Christmas. A group and I provide music for museum-goers - often Christmas hymn based. We have been invited back for several years and we really enjoy it. Fabulous community work all round!
Badly managed
Cafe Worker (Former Employee) –  Tipton, West Midlands20 July 2017
Management was very poor along with organisation, didn't usually feel valued and there was no opportunity for growth within the business. Zero hour contract was also unreliable.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor management team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Black Country Living Museum. Our community is ready to answer.

The Black Country Living Museum Reviews by Location