The Beautiful Group Employee Reviews

Worst job ever
Stylist (Current Employee) –  New Mexico5 July 2019
They used to pay commission if you hit your goal each pay period. Now they average the whole month. If you miss it in one pay period then forget getting your commission pay the next check. Slow salon, too many stylists waiting to get clients. They think of any excuse not to pay you what they owe. Took 6 months to get any sign on bonus. Managers are liars.
Are you kidding me?
Master designer (Former Employee) –  Washington State26 June 2019
How do these people sleep at night knowing that they’re evil human beings who have no care in the world for how their actions affect people’s lives. Less than a week of notice that the salon I’ve dedicated the past couple of years to is just closing down. Literal blood, literal sweat, literal tears and literal money (my money) went into this company only to have them make decisions behind our backs without giving us a proper two week notice to find other employment. There are people with children, people who are the sole care takers of their families and/ or people who live paycheck to paycheck who rely on TBG to at least tell us when they’re closing instead of lying and manipulating the situation. We’ve asked time and time again to only be told not to worry. Low pay. No care for the stylists. No compassion for their employees. Horrible and expensive “benefits!” This will surely be a blessing in disguise over the next couple of months. S C R E W you, TBG! Seriously.
Poor management, untrained stylists, discrimination, poor pay, lack of benefits, corporate greed, low commission rates
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Wa20 June 2019
I cannot believe I worked for Regis for five years. I was never paid more than a 40 percent commission. I think we charged way too much for hair so the corporate fat cats could relish money (stylists giving away hard work). My manager was a talented stylist with many years but had severe personal issues including letting the salon fall apart while she was being catfished by some Nigerian scammer. When we tried to help her she shunned us. Employees were straight up robbed by clients demanding discounts and our mananger just giving away our services because she didn’t want to deal with them. I did make some friends there and maybe attended four training. We had stylists who were great at hair. And others that were horrible and made everyone look bad. Our manager would tolerate people being drunk and on drugs. When I asked to take vacation which I had earned she told me if I wanted to take time off I might as well quit. Also the company was incessant about getting customers email addresses. Lots of hoops to jump through to get promoted. Especially if your manager has severe mental issues.
Pros
Busy location, interesting clients, some amazing stylists
Cons
Poor management, corporate greed, untrained staff
Company transitioning
anyonymous (Former Employee) –  anonymous17 June 2019
Working for the Beautiful Group was disappointing, although the company was not 100% to blame. They were taking over a group of salons that needed a lot of changes. The hardest part of the job was the stylists who applied didn't want to put in effort, at this location. They wanted to see an hourly wage that was better than the amount of effort they put in and seemed incapable of understanding the potential they had to make money through this company. The stylists were unprofessional in their dress, attitude, and had very little work ethic, unless they were pocketing the money.
Pros
Benefits, opportunity for advancement, opportunity to make money if you worked hard enough
Cons
Highly understaffed, poor location
Dishonesty
Former District Manager (Former Employee) –  USA12 June 2019
I worked for Regis/TBG for 10 years , I loved my job up until TBG took over . They took over and took away every reason we had to work there and gave back absolutely nothing . When we ask for a raise they said there was no money but brought in new people with no skills what so ever and paid them 20-25 thousand more than the long time employees on staff . They dis not allow us to have salons where we lived so that forced us to drive all over our state and surrounding states but then said we could only have overnight travel and expenses 2 nights a month ! This meant you would be driving 2,4,5 hours one way to work , work your min 8 hour shift and then drive the same amount of time back ! How is that for a quality of life . I left on my one accord giving a 30 day notice and they still figured out a way to not pay me my earned PTO ! I had benefits but none of them was company contributed I paid a great deal for my benefits out of my already below poverty salary and then I didn’t get paid the one thing they did owe me my PTO . I can say I’m glad I left when I did as they have recently let go over half of their employees!
Pros
Great Salon level employees
Cons
Poor environment with no operational standards and policies
SENIOR DISTRICT LEADER (Former Employee) –  USA10 June 2019
This new company is run by people who have no clue how to run salons!!!
New company is in over their heads, closing salons to "make the business healthy" with little to no notice
down sizing salons also means downsizing DM's, leaving existing DM's overloaded with salons spread across multiple states, unable to give the salons the support they need for HR/LP issues
Pay for salon Leaders is ridiculous, not to mention leads to poor leaders. You are better off working in a retail store
This company has a policy/procedure "book" that NOONE follows
NO ONE in the company knows what anyone else is doing
you can ask a question to 5 different people and have 5 different answers
(if you can even get an answer)
there is no phone # to cooperate, that is one floor in a business building
there is no structure & NO TRAINING, Be prepared to jump in with both feet and hope you don't sink.... oh wait "HOPE IS NOT A STRATAGY"
Run, as fast as you can!
Senior stylist (Former Employee) –  Pennsylvania10 June 2019
Worked at the same salon for a number of years. This salon was sold a few times with TBG being the most recent. I have never worked for a company that so completely disrespects their stylists like TBG does. Even worse than Regis if you can believe that. In the last six months I was there, we hadn't received a professional order at one point, for a few months. Got to the point that the stylists were buying color/developer for our guests. WTH. When we finally got back bar products, then they stopped sending retail. Seems like they aren't paying the bills. Lack of retail didn't stop them from constantly riding you on behind the chair sales (combo). Even if there was nothing up front to sell you still had to hit quota. Really?

Our DL would come in every other month. This was because our salon was productive and others needed her more. I got that. What I didn't get was when she would come in, she wouldn't talk to anyone but manager. Wouldn't even say hi. Seriously, who does that as a leader. She would come up with excuse after excuse as to why no orders.

Our manager really is a nice person, but couldn't get a handle on the bad behavior that was going on in the salon. She really just was focused on the senior stylists working their butts off so she could get her bonus check from hitting goals.

The salon never had maintenance or professional cleaning once TBG took over. The stylists would chip in for the front windows to be cleaned. TBG was going for a luxury branding with raising prices quite a few times in just six months. I'm pretty sure our guests were not fooled.
  more...

Do not work for TBG! They will fold I'm thinking in the next few years if not sooner. Like I said...Run!
Pros
Um, none
Cons
Orders few and far between. Be prepared to put your own money out.
Terrible place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  New Jersey9 June 2019
The company doesnt know if its staying open or closing. The management is non existent and the negative energy is over the top!!!!!!! Worst experience in a salon IN MY LIFE!
Horrible Company with a lot of turnover
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Southeast7 June 2019
Horrible company closing more than 700 salons in the first year! Lots of turnover, letting people go because of favoritism and upper management, they lost some really great leaders due to pettiness, no structure, no direction, a downward spiral into the hole, management in home Office has no clue what they are doing, they pay Stylist minimum wage and expect salon to be staffed when competitors are paying 2 times the about of the Beautiful group. I could go on and on best advice stay away!!
Loath this company.
Master Stylist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, Canada17 May 2019
What a disgraceful company. I would rather work with a potato. District Managers and up LOVE to play the blame game. They treat you like you're less than dirt. They won't listen and they have no idea how to run a business. No wonder they have such an outrageous turn over. Disrespectful humans. I have literally lost my love for my career because of them. I fortunately have left and hope to find the love I once had.
Pros
My coworkers
Cons
Not busy, Constant price increases, belittlement of their employees, false promises such as getting training.
Horrible discouraging and overall depressing
Stylist (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick16 May 2019
Overall a TERRIBLE place to work. This company starts you at minimum wage with no hourly raise only commission raises which are impossible to get. I’ve worked for this company for almost a year (to long) and didn’t see a single raise or incentive to work up to a raise. Nor did I ever reach commission. Over the course of 7 months 5 people had quit one of them being the manager, we went 2 months without a manager and there was only 8 of us working there to begin with. And aside from being short staffed the company decided to CUT 10 hours each a week, with no explanation. Also expect to get paid “semi monthly” the company has no set days on when you get paid it’s “up to 5 business days after the 1st and up to 5 after the 15th” making it extremely hard to commission on a 15 day stretch and even harder to manage bills. Upon getting hired I was promised easy raises and a “$2,000 hire in bounds” that I never received and I was also promised education that I’ve never got. Also the company isn’t 100% owned by the beautiful group it is still partially owned by Regis Corp. Regis still sends the product for retail and back bar and they have decided overall to stop sending product. Our salon hasn’t Received a shipment sense January and it is now almost June. And the upper management forces the salon to be open 12 hours a day 6 days a week including Saturday so be prepared to work every single Saturday night. I could go on for days about why no one should work for this company. I am a relatively new stylist and there have been days where this company makes me not even want to continue  more... to do what I love doing.  less
Pros
None at all
Cons
Wasn't the best experience for a newcomer
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FL14 May 2019
Manager was very cruel to employees and customers. Agitation was a regular vibe every day. The girls were sweet but the manager made everyone uneasy. Customers want cheap cuts and due to the change in pricing for cuts some stopped coming in. Then the store was closed above us but was owned by the beautiful group so they let in more than five more cosmetologist to work alongside the group that was already in MasterCuts which is owned by the beautiful group so there was about 10 girls on a slow day everyone was very upset and the pay was ridiculous .
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Manager, pay was low, work holidays
Terrible place to work for!!
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL24 April 2019
I started working here four months out of beauty school, when I had my technical interview I informed the manager I wasn't extremely comfortable with men's cuts, it wasn't something I focused on in school. She told me that she'd work with me on it, to ask for help whenever I needed it. After working there for about two weeks, and asking for her help (and never receiving it) she pulled me into the office while I was in the middle of working on a client and chewed me out, saying I needed to stop asking for help and just do it. The next day she brings me in to talk to her and the district manager and tells me to ask for help when I need it and that she's happy to help me. She also told him that when I had my interview that I told her I was GREAT at men's cuts *insert eye roll* She showed so much favoritism. Management does not care about employees whatsoever. Just don't subject yourself to working for this company.
Pros
Other stylists were friendly and helpful
Cons
Management, no breaks
prices keeps rising
Senior Stylist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma31 March 2019
lmited training, removed all training sites from the orignial REGIS. no access to one on one conversations with tech. prices are outrages but keeps rising, basically you are paying high end prices for someone that just got out of beauty school.

pay is ok, management always has favoritism meaning they dont own salon they will pick friends over experienced senior sylist.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
going downhill fast
Not my cup of tea.
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Houma, LA27 March 2019
Working there was exhausting, I was treated poorly, management was a disaster, no body knew how to clean, I was just mainly treated like trash, basically.
Worst place I have ever worked!
Senior Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CA24 March 2019
I was a 13+ year employee if you will as our company which was also declining sold us off to the beautiful group without any warning... Within 1 year of being purchased 13 + employees quit and 10 left all within the same week!!! I have never worked for a company with such little regard for its employees and customers... it became such a bullying work environment from head office in California all the way down to some of the most toxic employees... Rasies were impossible to achieve as u get hired at 40% commission and raises are in 2% increments but are almost impossible to achieve and how do You live off 40% before taxes!!!!!???? Absolutely no repercussions for bad behaviour... 13 STYLISTS LEFT AT THE SAME TIME!!! That speaks volumes!! Quota quota quota is all they cared about not if a job was well done not if a client was happy but please make sure they buy something when they leave... Rasied the prices 3 times in a year with no notice and then made us sign a waiver ( and yes I have pictures and logged everything) stating that if we gave our clients a discount in anyway we would be fired.... This company is a black mark on the hairstyling industry and they should be ashamed of themselves! They have lost their best stylists and sales have declined tremendously after everyone left... with all the bad reviews it receives in my home town I’m surprised it’s still open.... shame shame shame
Pros
Non
Company in Decline
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CA16 March 2019
With so many salons closing or worse going dark with no notice leaving stylists without jobs and eliminating district manager positions leaving the remaining DM’s spread so thin that they cannot provide adaquate support, job security is non-existent. Salons are not receiving supplies, repairs, collateral, support on a timely basis. There is no continuing education to advance stylists skills however they continue to increase prices alienating loyal clients. Home office support is at best inadequate and at worse incompetent. Communication is lacking and often in error and needs correction and/or retraction. Top leadership doesn’t understand the industry and is reckless and inconsistent with decisions. The future looks bleak.
Pros
A few locations still have some great stylists and salon managers
Cons
Inadequate pay for stylists and managers
Just a number
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Indiana15 March 2019
Company doesn’t care about employees , this is 3rd party company buying hurting salons . Their goal is to try to recoup their losses. Very poor management in all areas. Will close a salon right under your nose! Go professional and stay away!
Love the company and my team members
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CA11 March 2019
The Beautiful Group Became my home the minute I was onboarded.
You are not treated as a regular employee, they welcome you as part of their family. Every day is different, you grow and learn and expand your skills beyond your job description. It is important to understand that you as an employee, you must do everything to make your work fun, you cannot simply sit and expect things from the company. The leadership is always there to listen and help you with your personal carrier growth.
One thing I learned at TBG is that you need time to adjust, to trust and be rewarded. I loved how my ideas were embraced, accepted and executed! within 1 year, I was promoted 3 times which makes me very Grateful.
Horrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Texas8 March 2019
The beautiful group does not care about the employees. The pay is horrible for all the hours you work 7.25 an hr. They will come in with no notice and close the salon down. Not one person I know has moved up from a manager to a district manager or regional manager. They are cutting upper management positions. Salons are very outdated. They don’t make repairs if needed. They keep raising the prices and losing guests. Tons of empty promises. You will absolutely hate it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Beautiful Group. Our community is ready to answer.