The Army Employee Reviews

Found 3,018 reviews matching the search See all 3,417 reviews
Hard work yet rewarding
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Pirbright9 August 2019
Phase One training is very arduous. Must come both physically and mentally prepared. With the correct attitude you WILL be successful. Unfortunately in my case injury prevented me from progressing any further in this career.
Really enjoyed my time
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh6 August 2019
Really enjoyed my time within the army, but hard to find a balance for family and trying to start one. Enjoyed all the experience that the job gave me and would recommend it to anyone
Productive and Compatible
Lance Corporal (Former Employee) –  Tidworth5 August 2019
.Everyday was a working day. Not a single day that has gone by in the years I have spent in the army that they push, encourage and assist in my everyday life!
great when you're single
Coyote/Jackal armoured vehicle driver (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire5 August 2019
perfect job for a single lad who wants to see the world, it's just when you start a family and realize it's not your entire life it can get rather difficult to maintain a work life balance
Pros
see the world
Cons
don't get to go home often
Infantry Battalio
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland4 August 2019
Great life for any young man or woman. The army has unmatched opportunities and qualifications available if you put the effort in, worldwide travel, friends for life, great pay.
The best personal development
Queen's University Officer Training Corps (QUOTC) (Former Employee) –  Belfast1 August 2019
Get paid to see the world, to meet and work with new people whilst learning a wide array of new skills. A very diverse group of people will undoubtedly be who you work with and in any case, this will develop and sometimes test you when creating strategies for various different scenarios.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Physically and mentally demanding
It felt boring and trapped
Royal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Harrogate1 August 2019
I left like the army took most of my life away even though it was my decision to join at such a young age but so appreciate how some people find the lifestyle appealing it just was not for me.
Cons
Over all i enjoyed my time
Soilder (Former Employee) –  Larkhill, Wiltshire31 July 2019
I enjoyed the time I serves in the army , but it wasn't for me anymore.
Some people are a full 22 year serving soliders, I didn't see it a future just something I wanted to experience.
Never plan a weekend
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire29 July 2019
The army is a calling, don't commit to it unless you really want it. There are so many opportunities, so many challenges, so much to learn. BUT it expects a lot
good fun
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 July 2019
great ppace to grow up as a kid into a man, would recommend to anyone who wants to better themselves, any walk of life can join so meet some great people.
Good career prospects, sports are extremely good to henhance you fitness..money is extremely poor to the role,danger..
GDSM (Former Employee) –  Scotland,England Wales,NI,Holland,Canada27 July 2019
With everything said and done just be extremely mindful that with most companies if you are well you can go far BUT you are just an employee/number. Once you are injured/sick your place place,rank,status etc will count for absolutely nothing..
Welfare is poor as for most companies there is no brotherhood as it was in the past..
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long hours extremely poor pay...no welfare for sick injured.
Day to day working routine
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh25 July 2019
Manager at the Service Custody Facility Scotland, accountable for the welfare, safety, health and professional development of all members of staff within the facility. Oversee detainee admissions daily lessons and full release. Accountable for the safety and wellbeing of all detainees within the facility. Kept up to date records of all detainee’s. Carried out supervision of all custody staff advising as required to ensure the highest of standards.
Great Career
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury and Wilton, Wiltshire25 July 2019
I have served a full 23 years in the Army. It has been a fantastic career, had its ups and downs like all other jobs but the good times outweigh the tough times. It is not an easy life by any means and not for everyone but if you want a career where you can progress for working hard, have aim and goals, like travelling and moving around and want friends for life then this may just be for you. Be prepared for discipline, strict rules and doing as you are told and working hard but also fun times, playing hard, going to some fantastic places, life experiences and much more.
Pros
Well paid, travel, secure career
Cons
Travelling, away for long periods of time, hard work at times
Very good
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire23 July 2019
I enjoyed my time in the army it’s a great organisation but I feel like I need a change of pace and to need to enhance my skills in other areas. Managing of soldiers was ok and the training I received was very good. I feel like the time I have done in the army has made me a better person, more confident and more of a leader and better at time keeping. All in all it was a very good experience
Single mans gane
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Scotland22 July 2019
Enjoyed my time when single with no kids. Work life balance shocking if you are. Although my 1st 4 years were some of the best I've ever had it eventually wears you down.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Time away from home
Don’t join
Gunner (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex21 July 2019
Hated it from day one. Not the lifestyle you want to have
Cons
Fun and interesting work place.
Warrant Officer (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire18 July 2019
I've been in the army for over 17 years of experience.
Pros
Pension
Cons
The army is a lovely place to work
HGV Driver class 1 and 2 (Current Employee) –  Tidworth17 July 2019
Working for the British Army is enjoyable if you are adventurous, daring and like to travel a lot.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Wouldn't reccomend
Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Battalion15 July 2019
Joined as a vehicle mechanic and was sent to a battalion as a craftsman after over a year of training. Got there to find their was little to no work and have lived away from my family for 4 years. Signed off at 3 year point as you are contracted to a minimum of 4 years and have to give 1 years notice that you are leaving them which is an absolute joke. Trapped me for 4 years and am now in process of leaving my with my NVQ engineering maintenance however have zero experience so it is worthless. Luckily I have my HGV licences which I have been put through as a backup now that I am leaving. If you want the worst management system known to man, constant messing about with work/family life, zero hands on experience, sent away for weeks/months at a time in some 3rd world country and horrible working conditions then this is the job for you.

Don't get sucked into the lies that they tell you before you sign the dotted line.

Get an apprenticeship or a normal job
Pros
HGV quals
Cons
Working conditions, pensions gone, management
Great culture
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  UK12 July 2019
Great place with a great culture. Variety of jobs available so caters to everyone. Unfortunately my time here was short but I enjoyed it whilst I was there and I learnt a lot about my self because of the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2