The Angel Hotel Employee Reviews

Stressful and unsafe
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 October 2019
The hotel itself is rundown and an unsafe environment to work in especially on a rugby day.
You may be employed as a food and beverage assistant but will be asked to clean up vomit whether it is in your contract or not and even if it is against the Food Hygiene Standards.
Also be wary to keep track of all your shift times yourself as you may often get underpaid.
I would not work here again if they paid me...correctly.
productive, fun work place
Food and Beverage Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff1 July 2019
The people i work with are lovely and it's a nice environment to be a part of every shift . I learn new skills every time I am at work there's always a new set of challenges to take part in .
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
not enough hours as 0hr contract
always busy so no time for slackling
Bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, North Yorkshire11 November 2018
the hardest part of the jobs is the closes which are hard if it has been a busy day. some time if you get the short straw to tidy up after a drunken customer.
Pros
50% off while working ans 20% off shift on drinks and foods and rooms
good learning curve
Bar and Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny9 September 2018
Been 10 years in a constant improving company. Very positive time, still have positive relation with staff and customers. If somebody is willing to learn and work hard, it is a great hotel to work for.
Pros
staff food
Over-worked and under paid
Night Porter & F&B Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff10 August 2018
Pros - Staff, hours, Uniform and training.
Cons - Management, hourly rate, favouritism and if you are not good enough... Your hours decrease massively!
Bar and restaurant work
Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, North Yorkshire6 August 2018
Working within the hospitality sector was great for me as a proper first job, i enjoyed speaking to the customers, it was always busy and this is another job i would quite happily go back into.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Busy
Fun, But Busy
kichen porter (Current Employee) –  Halesworth, Suffolk16 July 2018
It is a very nice place to work, i started when i was 15 and it was my first job and i got worried that wasn't any good but now nealry 3 years later, im still there and all the staff are so nice and kind and you can talk to them all about anything you need to, its like another family
Pros
Discount on food and drinks
Cons
Long Hours
Beautiful place to work , great friendly team atmosphere.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Guildford10 July 2018
A day at work revolves around the guests needs and helping others in the team achieve their daily targets.

There is never a dull day and it always presents a great challenge to overcome.

The greatest part of the job is seeing a very happy guest leaving the hotel, this lets you know you have done your job well.

The hardest part of the job is that not everyone can be pleased and sometimes despite best intentions and actions there are people that are angry with you and dissapointed.
Pros
Satisfaction through guests satisfaction
Cons
Awkward shift patterns, long and sometimes very very busy days.
Busy and Challenging
Waitressing and bar work (Former Employee) –  Coleford1 March 2018
Workng here improved my confidence and enhanced my skills with working in stressful situations. The staff were encouraging and helpful, I enoyed my time here.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short-staffed
A good workplace
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny, Blaenau Gwent20 February 2018
The hours can be long but the people you work with become like your second family. Like with any job like this the hours can be long and unsociable but you do get free lunches/dinner and you become close to the team you work with.
Is a nice place to work at
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny16 February 2018
I learn more about hospitality and to take care about the costumers and the hotel making more enjoyable the expirience working there for staff and clients.

the Angel Hotel is beautiful as such as efficient and carefull about all details in order to make everything perfect.

the best part is working during funtions and the aftenoon tea where everything is fun and cured :)
Pros
free stuff food
Cons
too much hours
Good workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury Saint Edmunds, Suffolk9 February 2018
Good place to work with a very enjoyable environment. Efficient staff who help to make working in a fast pace environment much more relaxed. Good opportunity.
Pros
free food
Cons
Great culture and business values.
Food and Beverage Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk29 August 2017
They have a very good work culture, there are members of the management team that could use a brushing up of their skills. However, the majority of the management team are highly concerned about the wellbeing of their employees and nurture their employee to management relationships very well.
Pros
Well taken care of and looked after.
Cons
Sporadic work hours
Challenging and offers vast opportunities for various roles
Food and Beverage Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk21 February 2017
Work hours were typically at the weekend during school and term times. Holiday such as mothers day, father days, christmas day and new years were typically worked. The hours ranged from week to week. Usually shifts would be from 5:45-00:00 on a Saturday and 9-6 on a Sunday. Depending on the particular shift a different station would be assigned to each team member. This varied from bar work, monitoring the lounge or work in the restaurant. The waitressing team was and assumably still a close knit team with good communication.
Pros
Staff meals given.
Cons
Communication with mangagment
Enjoyable
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coleford23 June 2016
Enjoyed the variety of kitchen work. Preferred the food preparation element.
really enjoyed withing with the rest of the team.
As everywhere, it has its pros and cons
HOD (Former Employee) –  Cardiff4 February 2016
Whilst the hotel itself needs work in order to truly be comparable within the market and whilst it has a team quite set in its ways, with a recent change of management, I would hope that the opportunity to make necessary improvements and to drive forward the business will be taken with both hands.

Excellent training and support, however following recent changes in the structure at central level, this is no longer available, which is a real shame as THC offered, by far, the best training I have had within the hotel industry.

Can be cliquey, however it would be naïve to say that it's alone in that area. Every company or organisation has its cliques.

The Hotel Collection has changed a lot in the last 12 months, gaining and losing properties. Do your research as to what direction it's headed next.
Pros
Great training for HODs, parking for staff, staff meals. New management
Cons
Poor training for team members leading to lots employees not staying. Poor communication
busy place
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abergavenny, WLS2 November 2015
very busy but fun work place with ggod management decent amount
very friendly staff I Learning a lots from mycolleagues
producitive but hectic environment
kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  Guildford, ENG12 October 2015
Time management was extremely important in this environment along with team coodination and organisation.
a typical day involved cleaning the kitchen, constantly washing up the kitchen equipment and aiding the other staff present in the kitchen too.
Hardwork
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bury, ENG10 July 2015
A typical day would include working very long hours (sometimes overtime if you have to clean up), the customers can be difficult and are usually very impatient so the orders must be prompt. The waiting staff are friendly and the chefs are nice if but a little intimidating. There are two managers, one is nice and treated me nicely and like an adult, the other was somewhat condescending to me being the youngest on the team.
The pay is not great but the hotel itself has an excellent reputation and people are usually impressed if you work there.
The hardest part is the fact that once you are on your shift you get no break if it's busy, you aren't allowed to sit down in or outside of the kitchen. They expect you to be very flexible with your talents and I was often given a different job to what I was originally told I would be doing at the beginning of the shift.
Pros
Free lunch made by the chefs
Cons
Long hours and not good pay
Chef (Former Employee) –  Narberth, WLS17 April 2015
a typical day the at the angel with my work co-workers was enjoyable and rewarding as I learned a lot whilst I was there.

the things that I have learned there I will take with me where ever I go