The Air Ambulance Service

The Air Ambulance Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom44 reviews
A nice work environment with differing opportunities. Mostly involved driving and distributing, management were easy to work with and my team were a nice bunch
1 June 2020
Hi, thanks for your review of your time here. I know the Distributors role is a tough demanding one!

I am glad you got on with your team and manager and if there is anything you need just let us know!

Good luck with whatever you move on to,

Michael
The safe guarding role is an impossible role because of he manager. He is a bully and is there for his own ego rub! There is a huge staff turn over as unrealistic targets are set. The ethos of the charity is wonderful and saves lifes! its a shame that the management do not share that ethos. I hope someone whistle blows one day!!
Pros
its a wonderful charity
Cons
Bullies and no one wants to whistleblow
20 October 2020
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time with The Air Ambulance Service. It came as disappointment for us to read it and I would like to address the points you have raised.

Firstly I would like to address your point regarding whistle-blowing. We have numerous channels that allow our colleagues and volunteers to whistle blow should they feel they need to. They can do this with complete anonymity without any fear of recriminations. We also have numerous forums for people to speak up informally should they wish to.

Our staff turnover is significantly less than industry average and our most recent engagement survey showed that 85.5% of colleagues would recommend TAAS as a place to work. We are always looking for ways to improve in this area however as we do everything we can to retain our talented colleagues and have recently launched new Inductions, toolkits and PDRs to achieve this.

Finally, to address your very serious accusation of bullying. Whilst we are not perfect as an organisation, bullying is something that is absolutely not tolerated in any form. We are proud to how we support our colleagues both professionally and personally when they need us. We do not rest on this though and are always looking for new initiatives to help our colleagues including Mental Health First Aiders, Q&A’s with external wellbeing experts and numerous channels for our colleagues to communicate.

Ultimately we are always sorry when colleagues leave us and although your experience with us from your perspective has not been what you had hoped for I do wish you the very
 - more...
This is a really wonderful charity who would do anything for their patients and supporters but this is sadly not transferred to their staff who are frankly unappreciated and very much seen as replaceable. There is a huge blame culture fed into from the very top and despite repeated staff satisfaction questionnaires this never improves. This has subsequently led to more senior members of staff "passing the buck" to avoid exposing their own inefficiencies.
All that said working hours are good, pay is reasonable and the majority of staff are incredibly welcoming and friendly.

It would be a significantly more pleasant place to work if management just took the opportunity to stop blaming and started recognising their staff both when they are succeeding and maybe struggling.
Pros
Working Hours, Pay
Cons
Huge Blame Culture
26 August 2020
Hi,

Firstly thanks for the time you have spent with us and also taking the time to leave a review - its appreciated.

From your review it looks like you have had some real positives from working with us, we do try and give people a great work/life balance by being flexible where possible and I agree we are a friendly bunch!

We do have quarterly engagement surveys to get feedback and whilst it might appear nothing comes from them in the past 12 months based on feedback we have introduced an 'Employee voice group', trained 10 Mental Health First Aiders to help support people in crisis and started well-being Q&S with an external expert to help support colleagues through the recent pandemic. I know these are small things but if we make a lot of small improvements it helps contribute to a better place to work overall.

I am sorry you feel like there is a blame culture, we do ask a lot from people in terms of being accountable for their roles. Perhaps sometimes this is too much and I will feed your comments back to leadership team!

Very best of luck in your future role and career,

Michael
i worked at TAAS for 5 years and although the cause of the charity is fantastic (what kept me there so long) the actual company is awful to work for. The retail part of the company is ridiculously understaffed, more so now than when i started and so most people are doing at least 2 peoples jobs for very little money. The senior staff most of which haven't got a clue what they are doing earn a significant amount of money while the staff that actually make the company tick are on minimum wage and end up working extra hours for nothing with no thanks from anyone. If you do this company a favour don't expect it to be returned they will take until you cant give anymore. Their attitude is if you don't like it you can leave. i could easily write a 20 page essay on why not to work here.
Pros
you are working for a great cause
Cons
everything else
23 July 2020
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review following your time with us, 5 years is an amazing length of time to spend with an organisation and we are grateful for what you have done for us.

As a Charity we operate lean in terms of staffing and we do look to supplement this wherever possible with volunteers to provide extra support to help us achieve everything that we do. For every paid employee we all have a clear role profile and objectives that need to be met regardless of level. I know personally how hard our people work on 'the front line' and you are a crucial part in what we achieve.

Whilst we aren't perfect recent engagement surveys have shown that a very large percentage of our people feel valued and recognised as an integral part of the Charity and we will continue to try and improve in the area. I am sorry that you feel you were let down in regards to this and will pass on to our Management team.

I would like to say thank you again for your incredible 5 years service and very best of luck with your future career,

Michael
Great charity to work for but area manager was a liar, conflating stories and introduced fictitious complaints to gain reactions. Area manager didn't support or take on board retail advancement from the man on the ground (me). She has now been promoted above area managers.
Wouldnt have thought a company like this would be so shocking tbh.Lack of communication and training mangers who want more from you with nothanks at the end
Pros
Cons
Avoid
Please, avoid this 'charity' (the shops are in fact a limited company,
not a charity, although customers are purposefully misled on this

front), they expect the earth whilst paying as little as possible,

offering no support and never a word unless you've made a mistake or

underperformed.

You will not be recognised for hard praise for hard work and what's more, it is wasted by bad

decisions and poor use of funds (the fact that they have someone on paid time

responding to negative reviews with false platitudes and snide comments is

typical).

I have recently started temporary work in warehousing;

the fact that it pays better, has more respect for staff and listens to

staff concerns/ideas more than working for TAAS says it all
26 November 2019
Hi,

Thanks for your comments and time you have spent with us. We use feedback to help us learn where we go wrong and what we can do to improve this for our colleagues. Like most organisations we are not perfect so we welcome feedback both positive and negative.

I did want to address your concern about limited companies etc. Its fairly standard across most charities to run the Trading/Retail arm of a Charity in this way.

Its not something we try to hide its just that it doesn't impact in the slightest where our customers amazing donations and support goes - to our incredible services that save lives across the region.

Thank you for again for your time with us and I wish you the very best of luck with your career,

Michael
It was a very nice and fun place to work. It was a strong freindly work place. I feel that many people who worked there enjoyed and were happy in there job
I worked at The Air Ambulance Service for nearly 5 years and found it hugely rewarding. Staff are clearly passionate about the role they play, however big or small. It is demanding, but they are very driven and aim to be the best they can be and you don't get anywhere by coasting! Great culture, great staff and I loved the team I worked with. Nothing better than going home at the end of every day, knowing you've played your part in helping such a fabulous, well-respected charity!
Pros
Flexibility, great staff and team spirit, inspirational
16 September 2019
Thanks for your review and echoing other sentiments we know how hard everyone works when they are with us. Its not for everyone but those who do get to be involved in such a variety of projects across the Charity. As you said knowing when you get home that you have contributed to saving our patients lives is incredible.

Thanks for everything you have done over the past 5 years!

Michael
I have worked for the air ambulance for just over 4 years and like any job we have challenging days but as a manager I have far more rewarding days . This charity has grown so fast that the company may have made mistakes and may have employed some of the people who are rating the charity a one star on this site , but the charity's that I work for and the charity that I have worked in for the last 4 years are brave enough to admit they are not always right but they do what they need to do to change things . Recently we have had a lot of change in the charity and there have been changes but I see these as changes for the better and already a difference
If you want to work for a charity who do care then come to the air ambulance . If you want to be just a number then this is NOT the charity for you . If you want to work for a charity who's bosses turn up with a cake and have a cup of tea just to say thank you for all your hard work then this is the charity for you . If you want to work for a charity who bark out instructions then this is NOT the charity for you , if t you want to work for a charity that wants you to be creative and theCEO operates a open door policy then this is the charity for you .

The air ambulance is not perfect and I get it wrong even after 4 years but the management encourage you to pick yourself up after a fall , it makes us better as people and managers .

Not everyone loves their job but I certainly love mine and if your ever in Derbyshire pop by and see what amazing work we do.
2 September 2019
Thank you for your review, we know how hard people work when they are with us. We ask for a lot more than most employers but its so we can contribute as much as possible for our service and ultimately our patients.

We appreciate everything you do (hopefully more cake en route)

Michael (Recruitment Manager)
If you are thinking of working here DONT.
I am doing all I can to find a new job so I can leave.

My line manager was a bully and totally useless yet she has somehow managed to get promoted because her face fits.

The charity is full of bullys and nothing is done about it.

The shop teams are underpaid but the area managers and higher management turn up in their fancy cars.

I have worked for big business and this lot are clueless.

it's a share that a great cause is in the hands of this bunch.
Pros
I will be leaving soon
Cons
Everything about the place
Where to start - DONT DO IT. They cant keep managers. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. The best area manager was moved to a new area as she had so many shops so they employed a new one who interviewed me then I never saw her again! Since then the shop went downhill dramatically and continues to fail. If you face fits then you can have a job but if you dare to question you are shunned. Over worked and under paid, undervalued. A shame as its a worthy charity. Underhand tactics from the top down. If you want a life then this is not the job for you as they expect managers to work their fingers to the bone. What is really annoying is people donating money and the upper management are taking huge salaries. They should lead by example and cut their wages in half!!! The work the crew do is without doubt amazing but knowing my £10 donation is lining the pockets of upper management is a no no. I worked on my own for many months without any staff or volunteers. I emailed when I left (upper management ) and as yet awaiting a reply. My sunday assistant made my life so bad I dreaded going to work, She resigned twice, left to be a cleaner yet is now back as manager!! Seems you have to be a tell tale to get what you want. Good luck to her
Pros
The heli crew save lives
Cons
Long hours, treated badly, underpaid
14 June 2019
Hi, we are sorry to hear about your experience with The Air Ambulance Service. We pride ourselves on our ability to retain all of our amazing colleagues that go above and beyond to help provide the much needed funds for our service. As you will be aware the Area Manager that you mention left under tragic personal circumstances but we fully understand the impact sudden change can have on teams.

We would like to thank you for your time with us and wish you all the best in your future but if you have any further questions please reach out to me on 0300 045 999.

Many thanks

Michael
The Air Ambulance Service is a lovely place to work as a shop manager your volunteers and staff become like a second family and make it a joy to come into work each day.
The job is hard and manual but very very rewarding and there is allays opportunity to advance your career.

Charity gets the best sides of retail including the customers the customers you get in a charity shop help you form a community in and around your store.

Line Management are helpful and not overbearing so you have the space to really make the store your own.

The only Con i would say is that you feel like you allays need to do more including working longer and maybe doing a few things extra. This job really needs people with good work/life balance although this inst asked of you but because you're helping people you just cant stop.
Pros
Competitive pay compared to other jobs in the sector.
Cons
Hard to keep a life/work balance
While still releativley new within the charity, overall I have found my first twelve months here a fantastic experience.
As a manager in one of TAAS’s retail stores, things can be challenging at times, whether it’s staff issues or meeting targets, but I have a brilliant line manager who has created a strong and supportive team within our department, so there’s always someone around to give advice, bounce ideas off of, or just have a bit of a whinge to. (We all need a whinge now and again)

Though quite large - and growing - it feels like a very intimate place to work. Senior management actually know who you are (which has not been my experience in previous companies) and there is an family-like feel to the organisation as a whole.

I have learned a lot in my short time with the charity and hope to learn a lot more in the years to come. I would definitely recommend working for TAAS, but only for dedicated and passionate people looking to support an amazing cause.
Pros
People, Rewarding Work, Great Cause, Autonomy, Supportive Culture
Cons
Salary (but it is a charity after all!)
no training no communication a blame culture of back stabbing everyday you work hard and get nothing but negatives back its the worst run company I have ever seen.
24 May 2019
Hi, I am sorry that you feel this way about your experience with us. All Van Drivers are required to complete mandatory training when they join us before they begin their role, if you did not receive this or feel it could be improved please reach out to me on 0300 045 999,

Many thanks

Michael
If you value your physical and mental health then avoid this company at all costs. They will work you to the bone offering insufficient training and support. Whatever you do however much you do it will not be good enough. If the upper management cannot find anything to fault you on they will find something, however untrue, just to make themselves feel powerful. They will stick together at all costs albeit lies and deceit just to try and break you. If you value your family and both you physical and mental wellbeing then steer clear. Life is too short to spend it working in a company that can treat people in such a disgraceful manner, yet get away with it over and over again. No respect for their customers or donations. A shame for the cause, as it is a great cause, that they haven’t taken such consideration in to the type of people they employ at a more senior level, and a real let down to those on the frontline saving lives that they are being let down by these people.
Pros
Lovely customers.
Cons
Understaffed, unrealistic expectations of workload, long unpaid hours to get everything done that is expected, insufficient training and support, total lack of regard for employees physical and mental wellbeing, no personal or family life this company takes it all.
As a current shop manager for the air ambulance service, i have to say i love my job! Yes it is stressfull and challenging at times but no two days are the same and knowing you're helping to save life's makes it all worth it! I have a brilliant line manager who offers great support not only on a professional level but also a personal level. This is the first job in retail i have had when i don't feel like just a number and actually feel valued as a person. Structure changes are currently in process to make the working life of the charity run more smoothly for everyone, these changes won't happen over night but they are working towards making things better for all involved.

Amazing cause and the work that goes into the air ambulance service and children's air ambulance is outstanding.

The staff i have met in my 2 years here from shop management, volunteers, to the people at the top, all share the same passion and values.

If your not afraid of hard work and want a rewarding job, i highly recommend the air ambulance service.
Pros
Rewarding, great cause, great people. Very passionate.valued.
Cons
salary- but no one that works for charity does it for the money, you do it because your passionate about the cause.
I would urge anyone to be very careful of working for this charity.

It is a real shame because the cause is amazing and those on the front line are so fantastic. The head office managment and culture within sadly ruin it for everyone.

I worked at the rugby office for only 9 months because i got made redundant. My role was new and I passed through my probation with no issues. I was involved in a massive project to expand business for this charity and suddenly was told it was no longer happening and a restructure meant my role was redundant. I am still unsure to this day whether the external agencies I worked with have been informed that they have wasted their time tendering for business with The Air Ambulance service. My time there aside from the redundancy was not good either because of a lot of other senior management issues.

The culture here is not good at all, if your face fits you are ok. If not unfortunately you are likely to be ruthlessly spat out by the HR department.
Pros
Flexible working hours and working from home.
Cons
Culture and fundraising strategy seriously dysfunctional.
Employee treatment is poor. Salaries are low and on performance reviews manager lower employee's self-esteem in order not to increase salary and to make them feel guilty for asking. Not fair appraisals. And on top of it doing 2 people job and doing loads of overtime is not good enough. I would not want to work there again. Good as career start... That is it.
Pros
Some people are nice
Cons
Zero benefits
So sad but the core service provides a fabulous service but this organisation is so badly run from the very top down.
Mean spirited poor communication, awful hr department and a culture of blame and deceit.

Really think twice about working here !!!
Pros
Should be a good cause
Cons
So many - poor management and a board that turns a blind eye
I had a fantastic 2 years as a Shop Manager for this company.

Having not done charity retail before, I was surprised how hardworking but fulfilling this role was. I joined the company at a time of expansion and growth and enjoyed getting involved with new shop openings, helping out at other shops, etc.

I also enjoyed the full autonomy allowed to run my own shop, whilst having a fantastic network of people around me to help, coach and support myself in my role.

Yes, the Company is going through change and this is essential to meet the needs of the expansion plan, but I hope it holds onto the culture that makes this a fantastic and rewarding place to work!

Changes at the end of my employment made me frustrated but I have no regrets working for this business.
Pros
Rewarding job, Culture, Brilliant Charity and people
Cons
Inexperience of Line Manager and stability of job in last 4 weeks of employment