The AA

The AA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom328 reviews
I have work for the AA for the last 5 years. I have gain a wonderful experience and enjoy a friendly working environment. I left the AA last January. I recommend the AA for anyone who is interested to join.
Pros
not sure
Cons
Long hours.
I started at the AA in February this year. I have ADHD and suffer with short term memory problems and I originally didn't think this would be a problem. However, after I had been in training I found I wasn't retaining some information well enough. When I had made mistakes on calls because there were one or two things I didn't remember, my manager put me back into full supervision even though she knew of my condition and I had explained to her that it affected my memory no matter how hard I tried. I wasn't given any additional support (which I later found I could have had) and I didn't pass the 12 week probationary period. The whole experience knocked my confidence and the organisation is supposed to be disability friendly
you are pushed to work as much as possible and you get no life. Rolling shifts ranging from 0600 to 0415 almost every day is a different start and finish.
Basic pay and holiday entitlement is poor. getting more than a few days off in a row is an achievement. Full sick pay but you get disciplinary
I worked for 2 months on AA signs Redditch horrible place not permanent job.the manager also he was unprofessional,I don’t recommend this place for nobody
I was employed to inspect garages under Motor Codes standards but that dried up and ended up inspecting vehicles.
I really enjoyed inspecting garages and I know this started up again as AA garage inspections after I left which was a shame for me as I would have stayed.

My memories are a great team to work for interesting work and good support for a fair wage , no complaints.
The AA is the fourth emergency service. It is not about vehicles or goods in transit. It is about helping people .. Having spent over 20 years delivering goods on HGVs for very little self satisfaction these days. Helping people get home safely with the AA and being told thank you is its own reward.
Pros
you never know what the next job is going to bring.
Cons
Sub contract comes to an end.
Worst time and job of my life working at the AA. I never got in trouble and did fine but all managers are 2 faced some managers warn there team members in team meetings not to trust anyone. Everyone is a bit overly friendly with each other if you know what I mean!!! Managers don't want to help or sometimes i thought didn't have a clue what to do.There always referred to another manager. I am so happy I left when I did. If you work here you will experience poor management, favoritism of certain members of staff, two face people, confidentiality breach and say goodbye to Christmas, bank holidays, weekends. You are watched to there know how long you have taken on a call the time between each call and you get pulled up. My time at the AA i have seen some good call handlers either leave or get sacked.
Poor lower management, good pay if you work long hours not good for work life balance long days, great for helping, people lack of relvent training, hard targets to meet
Pros
Money
Cons
Hours
The WHOLE company is based on LIES & DECEIT, Every Department in the AA is at it. The Roadside & Call Centre continually LIE to customers & patrolman as they are bullied into it, Dispatchers constantly make wrong decisions and waste resources! Management LIE to staff daily & do not help them for anything they need, New guys get different treatment to the guys that have been here for years hence why they dont last! here is a MASSIVE management bullying problem everything is manipulated to make them look good.
Work life balance is NON EXISTENT, The shifts are CRAZY, not good for your mental & physical heath at all, The contract means they can force you to work on an extra 2 Hours every shift 'only if its really busy'. don't be conned by that one, In reality its almost every shift, 'the system' will pick you for a job just as you are due to finish even though there may be others free with more shift time left parked right next to you.

There is NO training after your initial induction, don't be fooled by that one either. Any form of 'training' you get after that will be from watching youtube videos & using google.

You need to give 42 days notice to book & cancel any leave - which is impossible to get days you need & there is NO help on this at all, It really does take its toll on family life especially if you have younger Kids, Have a serious think about it before you apply as this job is “Buttered” up to be something it is not.
Pros
Free breakdown cover
Cons
Too much to list!
I've been working at The AA for over 1 year and a half at this point and it's been, eh.

It's not a terrible place to work. The money is good if you are flexible and the work itself isn't overly difficult. Base salary is £17,000 rising to £17,850 after 6-month probation, with a flexibility allowance of 15%. Be prepared to work night shifts though, as you'll be on a 24-hour contract.

There is a decent team vibe if you get along with those who work on your function. Luckily, I do and I will be the first to admit that when I leave The AA, I will miss the people I work with.

Oh, also, overtime. Overtime is pretty good at The AA, when they offer it. Base overtime rates are 1.5x normal pay, during incredibly busy periods this can become what they call "enhanced rates". Typically, they will offer £20 p/h for 06:00 - 18:00. 18:00 - 00:00 commands £25 p/h and £35 p/h will be offered from 00:00 - 06:00. This, I cannot fault them on.

It then falls apart after that.

Management is lacklustre, with many unwilling to take responsibility for certain tasks. The higher-up managers are notorious for not responding to emails or queries and give off the impression that they don't care. Favouritism is also ripe in this workplace and blatantly obvious. If you get on someone's good side, you're set. Do one thing to irk a particular manager, however, and you're targeted.

As for the job itself, it's typical inbound call centre work. You work on individual functions and get "up-skilled" and trained on others, adding these skills to your repertoire to take these calls too. Certain functions
 - more...
Pros
Salary, overtime rates
Cons
Long hours, management, team responsibility
Good place to develop skills, ideas are listened to and there is a passion for the AA and what it stands for in the business. The new leadership at the top are doing a lot to create a strong future for the AA.
The whole experience, seemed too be based around Jobs per shift, and loaded miles, eg, the amount of vehicles on the back of your recovery vehicle, and the amount of miles you travel with it.
Managers are always pushing for that extra mile and the extra end of shift recovery, which may mean you getting home 2 hours late, every shift.

If you aim for a 12 to 15 hour shift, and it ends early that's a bonus, if you like working, Bank Holiday, over Christmas, weekends, early starts, nights, and no family life, this is the job for you!!!.

The Control centre is based on Oldbury , and are clueless, you could have driven 2 hours in one direction, for one job to be cancelled, and drive 2 hours in the opposite. To arrive on a job, and find the member has been sat there with a family and pets, for 4 hours. And have to deal with examples like this on a daily basis... Are you valued!!!!

No, they can always get someone else to replace you.
Wasn’t bad wasn’t great. I felt my supervisor was a bite fake but other co workers were nice. Job didn’t last long because of corona virus but I don’t think I’ll go back once things go back to normal
This was my first time working for a large corporate organisation and for a company operating in a regulated industry so I have taken some valuable learnings from operating in that culture.
Great place to work really supportive good training programme. I worked with a lot of great people really friendly team
There are plenty of opportunities to earn bonus to top up your earnings.
Great job, great teams, if you get right manager you'll not have a problem. But all figures and can go ain't you all tho there is not much u can do when you have been sent to a job knowing you can't fix it.
It was a good company to work with, however i should stress that i was a contractor and not a full time employee. With that said, everyone that i spoke to who was a full time employee appeared quite contented
Hardwork, with no two days being the same.

The big thing is to be able to think clearly, and always bearing in mind that regardless of any issues with persons car, their maybe more important issues that the person/s r need urgent attention.
Constantly feel like you’re chained to your desk, expected to take call after call with no break apart from lunch. You’re timed for toilet breaks, if you take any more than 15 minutes in a shift to go to the toilet and get a drink you have to work it back. Constantly hear the managers shouting to “get out of wrap”. This is time used where if you’ve had a complicated call and need to leave notes on the account, however they’d rather you force the customer to stay on the line while you leave notes so their SLA’s look better. Experienced call handlers have more knowledge and are respected a lot more than management. Progression is if your face fits.
worked for 18 years before target stresses took their tole on my health. constant management re structuring improvements fail to filter down to the customer facing team players.
as a short term money earning venture very good.. hours required will test family relationships long term.
Pros
will pay you for your hours..but they're a lot of them.
Cons
customer care secondary to targets
Hard work if you are single it would be find if you do have a family or in a relationship with someone you wont see them much management keeps telling you gonna lose your job and think it's funny there is victimisation on this firm by management which make Morrell low I wish I never join the company