The AA Employee Reviews

Poor Management and Salaries/Benefits - nice lower staff
confidential (Former Employee) –  confidential10 April 2019
Management are not supportive or inclined to provide training opportunities or help advancement. Salaries are way below market levels, and benefits are non existent, unless you are a manager. no care for anyone below manager level really.
Pros
Teams are generally nice
Cons
Poor management, support, advancement, salaries, benefits
Keep your expectations low and it will be fine.
Service Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Midlands29 March 2019
It's not great. Staff are constantly complaining about lack of management involvement and lack of resources. The atmosphere in the office leaves much to be desired.
Pros
The coffee machine is pretty good. Dress code is relaxed after 7pm and during weekends.
Cons
Poor management. Unwilling to understand the issues faced by Call Centre and Patrols.
Awful place to work
Patrolman (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire25 March 2019
Where do I start? Awful hours, pay goes down after a year of being with them. Awful management it's no wonder they are constantly in debt. When they've had enough of you they will find an excuse to sack you, drag you through different meetings and make you think your getting your job back to then be sacked anyway. No social life as working all weekends aswell as late hours through the week. Short lunch break. They expect you to take your lunch break whilst your with a customer which is very awkward and left with an unhappy customer if they are in a rush! The office are absolutely awful and you are left to deal with the brunt from customers because of the offices mistakes. Also they give you unrealistic targets and when you don't meet them you are hounded with texts and emails. Don't work here unless you want to be taken for a mug.
Pros
Being on the road
Cons
Long hours, awful management
Bullies
Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol7 March 2019
Please do not work for the aa

They make you book your holiday a year in advance then , change your shift pattern every six months. You are constantly bullied to stay on and do more work every shift , 90 % of the roadside staff hate this company, the morales of the patrols is so low , it’s like the Great Depression,

You can finish night shift and have on day off then back on to day shift , total madness

You have been warned
Pros
Free recovery
Cons
You’re not even a number
Automobile Association
Audio/Copy Typist (Former Employee) –  Halesowen3 March 2019
I worked here full time and left to have a baby after 10 years of working. Learning was once again on a daily basis but opportunity existed for their own typing tests and in house training. Management was very good. Workplace culture was also very good. The hardest part of the job was sometimes trying to decipher handwriting but this was easily remedied with being able to access the person who submitted it. I really enjoyed my time at the AA also the people I worked alongside. A most enjoyable 10 years.
Pros
Free AA membership
Soul destroying work environment
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire2 March 2019
High stress environment no support from management or operations department procedure is to criteria of inspections change Daily or Multiple times in one day.
Cons
Long hours no support from management
It was of its time
Roadside Assistance Patrol/ Technical Trainer (Former Employee) –  London25 February 2019
I wanted to be a Patrol from the age of 7 and follow my Dad.

Was a fantastic job and the outlook of the company was traditional and of its time. However once it became a company all of its subsequent owners have stripped it, ruined it and driven it into the ground. That should be illegal.
Pros
I was a Superhero fro 12 years on the road :)
If you want to just work and get paid
Head Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 February 2019
If you want any sort of development. Look elsewhere. Generally a corrupt culture but I think new management is trying to change that. However it's slow progress! Employee engagement is improving, but they need to employ more dynamic management to think outside the box and retain good talent.
Pros
Great staff, ok hours.
Cons
Poor management, lack of personal development
No work life balance
Roadside Technician (Current Employee) –  Scotland15 February 2019
Very low staff morale, terrible work life balance, constant threats of losing your job if you don't sell sell sell overpriced parts.
Forced into lying about job outcomes so they can brag in TV adverts about how many cars they fix at the roadside.
Personal customers that are already AA members get put to the back of the queue when in comes to service against the big B2B accounts.
We have targets that encourage bad service to customers.
Trying to get any holidays when you want them even with over a years notice is almost impossible, unless of course you are one of the top sellers on your team.
Pros
Good earning potential (as long as you dont mind doing illegal things)
Cons
No work life balance, bullied into selling & doing illegal things to keep your job
Good atmosphere.
Sales Assistant & social media (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester14 February 2019
Overall I enjoyed my time at the AA, there is plenty of opportunity to progress. You will get out what you put into the various roles in the business.
Worst work life balance anywhere
Patrol/engineer (Current Employee) –  London11 February 2019
Great job but greedy and inhuman working targets make this job a nightmare Patrols now judged on sales but dishonestly call target "expert advice". Every second of the working day is watched and monitored. No work life balance anymore and very suspicious union/management links.
Pros
Paid on time
Cons
To many to list
Treated well, can be long days.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Oldbury, West Midlands6 February 2019
A typical day at work consists of going into work logging on, taking calls, having a 10 minute break, taking calls, having a 30 minute lunch, taking calls, having a 10 minute break, taking calls and then finishing the day. If you want an easy non-stressful job then this is a brilliant job, if you want something more challenging then it would be best to look elsewhere.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with complaints when there is no way of resolving the complaint for the member.
The company treat you very well coming round the office with tea, coffee, chocolate bars, muffins etc 3 times a week and provide days such as 'fruit friday' where there are huge baskets of fruit for you to help yourself. Subways and pizzas are also delivered as treats :)

You can also be part of the 'evolve' programme where you can get diploma's, bachelors and even master degrees funded by the company in areas such as finance, marketing etc which will help you and the company.

The company has helped me learn more about customer service and to appreciate the work that the person on the over end of the phone does for you as it is hard working.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
Long days
Fun Work place, Great Staff
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester27 January 2019
Inbound Customer Service Advisor. My duties consist of taking inbound calls, dealing with general queries, placing orders from current and potential customers, regarding breakdown cover, providing excellent customer service skills. I have worked within different departments and have a wide range of skills and knowledge within the customer service industry. I have the use of computers, emails, internet and different systems on a daily basis to help assist with my job role. I have attended various training courses within my time at the AA, all around customer service and well-being, this has enhanced my knowledge and understanding around customer service. I aim to build strong rapport with customers, enabling me to help and assist them with their query, as well as aiming to meet my daily targets, sometimes under pressure as this can be a very busy working environment.
Pros
Good benefits
Good Team place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halesowen24 January 2019
Handling a high volume of calls daily also dealing with different police forces to recover stolen vehicles or rta incidents... over seeing the location desk for patrols
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Solid
Senior Advertising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke23 January 2019
Great start to a working career.

Stayed for nearly 5 years learnt a lot great people and team efforts.

Management good, it's a place I wouldn't mind going back to at some stage due to the nature of the company.

Work balance good and team grounding.

Left for out growing my role and waiting progression in finance and needed experience for this I the AA.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
progression
Very good
Patrolman (Former Employee) –  London22 January 2019
Was great to work for the AA best job I ever had .will recommend .helping members,meeting people driving out and about getting experience every day thank you
Pros
Training
Cons
Shifts
AA job
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire3 January 2019
I have worked over several areas of the AA but over the last 3 years,there has been too much change and indecision resulting in no long term plans, meaning one step forward, two back. An action is agreed and relevant changes made, then cancelled and revert to old way resulting in cost to AA of resources and profit. I have enjoyed working the the AA but with constant change and job losses, now is the time to move on.
Pros
Commissions in first 4 years
Cons
instability
Needs improvement
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oldbury1 January 2019
The customers for company were the nice part as were the patrols that attended the breakdowns. The head of company experienced in all areas of the business and is friendly. The beverages are free in the company and have 5 impressive company values. Hardest part was seeing a company fragmented internally not unified. Lacked slogans to further enhance the company policy. Little daily interaction between managers and employees. Management who only escalated complaints and showed unable to even see behaviour that would be to their customers detriment. Lack of age personal boundaries and respect. A no tolerance for abuses under the Equality Act and their own Computer and Software policy would help the company. It is the job of this company's higher management to ensure safety and well being of all employees.
Pros
Three days off, free beverages, flexibility bonus
Cons
6 days three early shift and 3 very late shifts till 2am latest.
Terrible company
Recovery Driver (Former Employee) –  Sometset31 December 2018
I work for the AA for four years. I only stuck it for that long because I had young children. Money wasn’t that good, couldn’t never get the holiday what I wanted. Bulled into working over time. I can honestly say that the AA was and still is the worst company I’ve ever worked for. Avoid!!!!
Pros
Cons
All dreadful
Lots of change
Not applicable (Current Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire28 December 2018
More team leaders
Terrible car park
Taking away free water cups.
Toilets smell
My department isn't busy
Turnover of staff low in department which is good and bad
Pros
Cycle to work voucher

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The AA. Our community is ready to answer.