Thames Valley Police Employee Reviews

A good place to work
People Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire3 May 2018
**Positives:

I have been with the organisation a couple of years now and although progression can be difficult, there are plenty of opportunities for development for those that are determined enough to push for it. It is a good place to work with genuinely friendly and hard working employees.

There is a focus on staff welfare that is appreciated and support from Line Managers and colleagues is usually readily available.

The pension is pretty good considering. I especially like that TVP match the employee pension contribution, as it means a decent safety net for retirement.

**Negatives:

I would like to see more opportunity for progression

It would be great if attaining things like an exceeded in a PDR (and the small boost in income it provides) was realistic and attainable, as it is practically impossible to get now, unless you are in an acting role.

It would also be amazing if we could go back to having a set desk to come into each day, as whilst the Smarter Ways of Working has been a massive success in some areas, having to move desks constantly is extremely frustrating and makes individuals feel less valued and somewhat uprooted.
Pros
Hard work but in a more relaxed environment. Great staff discounts.
Cons
Public Sector Salary - No bonus & no overtime available in most staff roles
treat their staff like rubbish
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire18 April 2018
the organisation places its own needs over the individual at every single opportunity. no chance of work life balance, no support from managers, you are on your own making tough decisions and are nailed to the wall should the organisation feel the need to blame someone
Pros
get to help people
Cons
no support from organisation
Good worthwhile job
Uniform Patrol Officer, Schools Liaison Officer (Former Employee) –  Langley Marish, Berkshire4 April 2018
Really good career ,interesting,good salary and benefits,worked as uniform constable for 28 years enjoyed my time there,sorry to retire,but I guess all things must come to an end!!!
Great Experience. Extremely poor management
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire3 April 2018
Great amounts of experience gained from the role and job. Get given the chance to make a real positive difference in a community. Great discounts at places like, Nando's, Dominoes, Krispy Kreme which is always a treat.

Management of people is poor and theirs a very low moral in many NHPT's. I'm aware of many staff who get bullied in the workplace and feel they can't speak out. Wouldn't recommend this role to a friend but do go for it the chance is there because you can get a lot out of it.
Pros
Making a difference in a community
Cons
Poor management and low team moral.
Good people to work with
property services (Current Employee) –  Thames Valley14 March 2018
the people that work here are great, its just a shame that there are so many budget cuts now and everything is working at breaking point. its only a matter of time before the service is impacted.
good benefits, various career opportunities but negative environment
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Thames Valley10 February 2018
As an organisation, I feel they are very good to work for but this seems to differ department to department.I feel my job is secure and the management from my department are very considerate when it comes to personal circumstance and accommodate where possible. For whatever reason, the police culture is quite a negative environment which is unfortunate. If attitudes could change it would make for a more positive and enjoyable environment for all concerned.
Pros
Good pay, secure, flexible
Cons
Too much negativity
fast pace environment
Contact Centre Officer (Current Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire17 January 2018
enjoyable role, great colleagues, always learning. the role can be very demanding and fast paced. pay is good however the hours are really difficult to work around especially with a young family
Pros
pay is good
Cons
hours
Enjoyable learning curve
Police staff (Current Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire9 January 2018
Every day presents a challenge, at the same time a steep but enjoyable learning experience. Every member of staff dedicated and enthusiastic about protecting the public.
Very good workplace environment
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Wokingham4 December 2017
Working with Thames Valley Police allowed me to progress as a human being and a role model. It has been a fun and motivating experience, with some challenging moments.
Dealing with members of the public, both good and bad, has given me key skills in how to deal with different attitudes of the general public.
I have gained a high level of expertise with situations involving "conflict". From these situations, I have been able to provide solutions for the public and my Police colleagues.
Changing role and requirements
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various14 October 2017
Due to Government targets, budget cuts and national guidance around such areas as Safe Guarding, the Police Service and Policing has become a very difficult role with very high demands. However while this is a very challenging role it remains rewarding and still offers the chance to experience situations outside the norm.

Want to know more about Thames Valley Police?

Ask a question
Watch out newbies...
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, Oxfordshire12 October 2017
I was offered a job in the Control Room in Abingdon. The 1st 4 weeks were classroom training during which we had 3 exams (theory & practical). I passed the 1st one no problem, but the second one, although I passed the theory, I fell short on the practical (the pass rate is 80% & I got 60%). I then got a '1st warning in probation' (probation is 9 months). At that point I was told that, if I got another, then I 'wouldn't be confirmed in post'. Even then, nothing was really made of it. The Trainers were great, but unfortunately (& I'm sure that others will understand this), I don't perform well in exams - never have. So I passed the theory but fell short in the practical - 74% rather than 80%. So, after waiting all afternoon with the other guy in the group who hadn't passed, I was called down to a meeting with 2 strangers who gave me a letter telling me I was being dismissed with a weeks notice. They then asked for my headphones, badge and security fob back, and I was escorted off the premises. So beware, especially if you're giving up another job. Most pass, but bearing in mind the long probationary period, it was quite possible that I'd get another warning. There is absolutely no flexibility on their part with the pass rate, and if you fail, you're out. The whole recruitment process in the first place is stressful, but even if you get offered the job and have a start job, it doesn't mean you're in. I heard from people that if you have 2 incidents of sickness then you get warnings as well. Maybe not a caring force after all.
workplace
Telephonist (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 September 2017
Great place of work for me, no two days were ever the same, always something going on, which meant the shift goes really quickly. Really enjoyed working within Thames Valley Police. It became like a family environment. very welcoming.
Productive and fun place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire19 September 2017
Professional place to work. Not everyday is the same working for the police. you're never two steps away from help or support if you require it. Most I enjoy about the job is the engagement with the community and not being stuck in an office 9-5.
Helpful and welcoming
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire7 August 2017
Good place to pick up and learn about different aspects of the police force. Very welcoming and gave you plenty of chance to get involved were was possible
Very friendly working environment, people within TVP care about each other
Policing Neighbourhood Administrator (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire25 July 2017
Very friendly working environment, people within TVP care about each other. I enjoyed working there, my manager was very flexible with my needs regarding University and the pay was good.
Steady job with decent pay
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire25 July 2017
A typical day could be very varied; anything from taking statements from victims of crime, case file investigations, dealing with conflict, public order incidents
Pros
Sickness benefits
Cons
Poor worklife balance and shift patterns
My role was administered by Thames Valley Police
Confidential Case Officer (Former Employee) –  London7 June 2017
My post was based in London, specialised and the working conditions unique. The post was not representative of normal Thames Valley Police working conditions. I am unable to give a full experience of working for Thames Valley Police but by reputation it is one of the better larger Police forces.
A rewarding career
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Oxford6 June 2017
There is no 'typical' day as each is different but there are lots of opportunities to build on a career, supported by training and management.
The variety has to be the best part of the job.
Good
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire5 June 2017
Its a great police force to be a part of. Being a Special opens your eyes to what goes on in different places. it can be hard but enjoyable too. there's a lot of benefits and you get the chance to learn a lot.
A lifestyle not a job
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire6 April 2017
Working as a police officer is one of the most varied, exciting and rewarding careers that anyone can have. And yet, it can also be one of the most monotonous, boring and thankless jobs anyone can have!
Thames Valley Police, as a general rule, work hard to maintain good working conditions for their employees however, in the current financial climate and with the police service being destroyed by the national government, this is not always possible.

There is an apparent lack of understanding as to why they cannot retain good officers and the fact that Detective resources in particular are at critical levels within Thames Valley Police, and nationally, says a lot about the morale within the service at this time.
Pros
Job satisfaction, good pension, good job security
Cons
Stress levels will be high