Thames Valley Police Employee Reviews

Police Constable
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Kidlington North4 August 2018
Excellent career for anyone who is willing to put themselves forward to uphold the laws of the land, vast opportunities to specialise in multiple roles, and to be promoted to all ranks if you have the drive and capabilities required. Working with driven people who have your back is a similar experience if your from the UK forces. you make lifelong friends and have a real sense of family. TVP's support structure is second to none, They are committed to keeping all their staff either be it Officers or Civilian, motivated mentally or physically dependant of strategic role. Their pay structure is clear competitive with a 2k addition bonus for living in the south, this also rises rapidly after a police probation period 2 yrs., or civilians a work base assessment with personal development plans that all staff adhere too. I seriously cannot fault TVP for supporting me through good times and bad, its has been a real privilege to serve in the office of constable I only wish I had more time to stay in, but joining at 38 yrs old and being on the old pension scheme its time to leave this forward thinking employer for pastures new. No day is ever the same and you do make a difference to peoples lives, I am proud of this fact and leave with the full support of the force. :)
Pros
No other Job like it
Cons
Hard Work and Dedication Required at all levels
Terrible place to work
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Kidlington South30 July 2018
Constant rounds of "transformation" etc no one knows if they will have a job at the end of a month.
No effective management in ICT guided by money grabbing "consultants" Lots of staff were made redundant losing years of experience. One of the last IT managers was arrested for fraud !
Pros
Cons
working there
Fast-Paced team work
POLICE CONTROLLER (STAFF) (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire28 July 2018
Either taking 999 calls or dispatching officers on the radio. Great interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to deal with stressful situations whilst remaining professional.
Lovely friendly place to work
Mobile Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kidlington21 July 2018
I really enjoyed my time working hear work was easy and going to different stations made the day more interesting,
I spent about an hour at each station emptying bins mopping floors hoovering offices and cleaning the kitchens and toilets.
Pros
Good pay, nice work experience
Cons
Very early start
Great!
Special Constable (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury14 June 2018
Believe that Thames Valley Police is excellent to work for, would recommend it to everyone. Wide variety of jobs available, excellent staff to work alongside.
Criminal Justice Administration
Justice Administrator (Current Employee) –  Reading14 May 2018
I have largely enjoyed my time at TVP, as I have worked in several departments with different focusses within the wider Criminal Justice System. However, there is limited opportunity for career progression, and you do find that technologically the outside world moves much faster than the Public Sector. The work is vital, however trivial it may seem at the time, which is often well-appreciated by senior officers (although the trend among civilian management doesn't follow suit), and there is a lot of camaraderie around the Force.
Pros
Doing something worthwhile
Cons
Expectations can change rapidly with short notice
A good place to work
People Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire3 May 2018
**Positives:

I have been with the organisation a couple of years now and although progression can be difficult, there are plenty of opportunities for development for those that are determined enough to push for it. It is a good place to work with genuinely friendly and hard working employees.

There is a focus on staff welfare that is appreciated and support from Line Managers and colleagues is usually readily available.

The pension is pretty good considering. I especially like that TVP match the employee pension contribution, as it means a decent safety net for retirement.

**Negatives:

I would like to see more opportunity for progression

It would be great if attaining things like an exceeded in a PDR (and the small boost in income it provides) was realistic and attainable, as it is practically impossible to get now, unless you are in an acting role.

It would also be amazing if we could go back to having a set desk to come into each day, as whilst the Smarter Ways of Working has been a massive success in some areas, having to move desks constantly is extremely frustrating and makes individuals feel less valued and somewhat uprooted.
Pros
Hard work but in a more relaxed environment. Great staff discounts.
Cons
Public Sector Salary - No bonus & no overtime available in most staff roles
treat their staff like rubbish
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire18 April 2018
the organisation places its own needs over the individual at every single opportunity. no chance of work life balance, no support from managers, you are on your own making tough decisions and are nailed to the wall should the organisation feel the need to blame someone
Pros
get to help people
Cons
no support from organisation
Good worthwhile job
Uniform Patrol Officer, Schools Liaison Officer (Former Employee) –  Langley Marish, Berkshire4 April 2018
Really good career ,interesting,good salary and benefits,worked as uniform constable for 28 years enjoyed my time there,sorry to retire,but I guess all things must come to an end!!!
Great Experience. Extremely poor management
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire3 April 2018
Great amounts of experience gained from the role and job. Get given the chance to make a real positive difference in a community. Great discounts at places like, Nando's, Dominoes, Krispy Kreme which is always a treat.

Management of people is poor and theirs a very low moral in many NHPT's. I'm aware of many staff who get bullied in the workplace and feel they can't speak out. Wouldn't recommend this role to a friend but do go for it the chance is there because you can get a lot out of it.
Pros
Making a difference in a community
Cons
Poor management and low team moral.
Good people to work with
property services (Current Employee) –  Thames Valley14 March 2018
the people that work here are great, its just a shame that there are so many budget cuts now and everything is working at breaking point. its only a matter of time before the service is impacted.
good benefits, various career opportunities but negative environment
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Thames Valley10 February 2018
As an organisation, I feel they are very good to work for but this seems to differ department to department.I feel my job is secure and the management from my department are very considerate when it comes to personal circumstance and accommodate where possible. For whatever reason, the police culture is quite a negative environment which is unfortunate. If attitudes could change it would make for a more positive and enjoyable environment for all concerned.
Pros
Good pay, secure, flexible
Cons
Too much negativity
fast pace environment
Contact Centre Officer (Current Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire17 January 2018
enjoyable role, great colleagues, always learning. the role can be very demanding and fast paced. pay is good however the hours are really difficult to work around especially with a young family
Pros
pay is good
Cons
hours
Enjoyable learning curve
Police staff (Current Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire9 January 2018
Every day presents a challenge, at the same time a steep but enjoyable learning experience. Every member of staff dedicated and enthusiastic about protecting the public.
Very good workplace environment
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Wokingham4 December 2017
Working with Thames Valley Police allowed me to progress as a human being and a role model. It has been a fun and motivating experience, with some challenging moments.
Dealing with members of the public, both good and bad, has given me key skills in how to deal with different attitudes of the general public.
I have gained a high level of expertise with situations involving "conflict". From these situations, I have been able to provide solutions for the public and my Police colleagues.
Changing role and requirements
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various14 October 2017
Due to Government targets, budget cuts and national guidance around such areas as Safe Guarding, the Police Service and Policing has become a very difficult role with very high demands. However while this is a very challenging role it remains rewarding and still offers the chance to experience situations outside the norm.
Watch out newbies...
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, Oxfordshire12 October 2017
I was offered a job in the Control Room in Abingdon. The 1st 4 weeks were classroom training during which we had 3 exams (theory & practical). I passed the 1st one no problem, but the second one, although I passed the theory, I fell short on the practical (the pass rate is 80% & I got 60%). I then got a '1st warning in probation' (probation is 9 months). At that point I was told that, if I got another, then I 'wouldn't be confirmed in post'. Even then, nothing was really made of it. The Trainers were great, but unfortunately (& I'm sure that others will understand this), I don't perform well in exams - never have. So I passed the theory but fell short in the practical - 74% rather than 80%. So, after waiting all afternoon with the other guy in the group who hadn't passed, I was called down to a meeting with 2 strangers who gave me a letter telling me I was being dismissed with a weeks notice. They then asked for my headphones, badge and security fob back, and I was escorted off the premises. So beware, especially if you're giving up another job. Most pass, but bearing in mind the long probationary period, it was quite possible that I'd get another warning. There is absolutely no flexibility on their part with the pass rate, and if you fail, you're out. The whole recruitment process in the first place is stressful, but even if you get offered the job and have a start job, it doesn't mean you're in. I heard from people that if you have 2 incidents of sickness then you get warnings as well. Maybe not a caring force after all.
workplace
Telephonist (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 September 2017
Great place of work for me, no two days were ever the same, always something going on, which meant the shift goes really quickly. Really enjoyed working within Thames Valley Police. It became like a family environment. very welcoming.
Productive and fun place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire19 September 2017
Professional place to work. Not everyday is the same working for the police. you're never two steps away from help or support if you require it. Most I enjoy about the job is the engagement with the community and not being stuck in an office 9-5.
Helpful and welcoming
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire7 August 2017
Good place to pick up and learn about different aspects of the police force. Very welcoming and gave you plenty of chance to get involved were was possible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thames Valley Police. Our community is ready to answer.