Thames Valley Police Employee Reviews

fast pace environment
Contact Centre Officer (Current Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire17 January 2018
enjoyable role, great colleagues, always learning. the role can be very demanding and fast paced. pay is good however the hours are really difficult to work around especially with a young family
Pros
pay is good
Cons
hours
Enjoyable learning curve
Police staff (Current Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire9 January 2018
Every day presents a challenge, at the same time a steep but enjoyable learning experience. Every member of staff dedicated and enthusiastic about protecting the public.
Very good workplace environment
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Wokingham4 December 2017
Working with Thames Valley Police allowed me to progress as a human being and a role model. It has been a fun and motivating experience, with some challenging moments.
Dealing with members of the public, both good and bad, has given me key skills in how to deal with different attitudes of the general public.
I have gained a high level of expertise with situations involving "conflict". From these situations, I have been able to provide solutions for the public and my Police colleagues.
Changing role and requirements
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various14 October 2017
Due to Government targets, budget cuts and national guidance around such areas as Safe Guarding, the Police Service and Policing has become a very difficult role with very high demands. However while this is a very challenging role it remains rewarding and still offers the chance to experience situations outside the norm.
Watch out newbies...
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, Oxfordshire12 October 2017
I was offered a job in the Control Room in Abingdon. The 1st 4 weeks were classroom training during which we had 3 exams (theory & practical). I passed the 1st one no problem, but the second one, although I passed the theory, I fell short on the practical (the pass rate is 80% & I got 60%). I then got a '1st warning in probation' (probation is 9 months). At that point I was told that, if I got another, then I 'wouldn't be confirmed in post'. Even then, nothing was really made of it. The Trainers were great, but unfortunately (& I'm sure that others will understand this), I don't perform well in exams - never have. So I passed the theory but fell short in the practical - 74% rather than 80%. So, after waiting all afternoon with the other guy in the group who hadn't passed, I was called down to a meeting with 2 strangers who gave me a letter telling me I was being dismissed with a weeks notice. They then asked for my headphones, badge and security fob back, and I was escorted off the premises. So beware, especially if you're giving up another job. Most pass, but bearing in mind the long probationary period, it was quite possible that I'd get another warning. There is absolutely no flexibility on their part with the pass rate, and if you fail, you're out. The whole recruitment process in the first place is stressful, but even if you get offered the job and have a start job, it doesn't mean you're in. I heard from people that if you have 2 incidents of sickness then you get warnings as well. Maybe not a caring force after all.
workplace
Telephonist (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 September 2017
Great place of work for me, no two days were ever the same, always something going on, which meant the shift goes really quickly. Really enjoyed working within Thames Valley Police. It became like a family environment. very welcoming.
Productive and fun place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire19 September 2017
Professional place to work. Not everyday is the same working for the police. you're never two steps away from help or support if you require it. Most I enjoy about the job is the engagement with the community and not being stuck in an office 9-5.
Helpful and welcoming
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire7 August 2017
Good place to pick up and learn about different aspects of the police force. Very welcoming and gave you plenty of chance to get involved were was possible
Very friendly working environment, people within TVP care about each other
Policing Neighbourhood Administrator (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire25 July 2017
Very friendly working environment, people within TVP care about each other. I enjoyed working there, my manager was very flexible with my needs regarding University and the pay was good.
Steady job with decent pay
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire25 July 2017
A typical day could be very varied; anything from taking statements from victims of crime, case file investigations, dealing with conflict, public order incidents
Pros
Sickness benefits
Cons
Poor worklife balance and shift patterns

Want to know more about Thames Valley Police?

Ask a question
My role was administered by Thames Valley Police
Confidential Case Officer (Former Employee) –  London7 June 2017
My post was based in London, specialised and the working conditions unique. The post was not representative of normal Thames Valley Police working conditions. I am unable to give a full experience of working for Thames Valley Police but by reputation it is one of the better larger Police forces.
A rewarding career
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Oxford6 June 2017
There is no 'typical' day as each is different but there are lots of opportunities to build on a career, supported by training and management.
The variety has to be the best part of the job.
Good
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire5 June 2017
Its a great police force to be a part of. Being a Special opens your eyes to what goes on in different places. it can be hard but enjoyable too. there's a lot of benefits and you get the chance to learn a lot.
A lifestyle not a job
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire6 April 2017
Working as a police officer is one of the most varied, exciting and rewarding careers that anyone can have. And yet, it can also be one of the most monotonous, boring and thankless jobs anyone can have!
Thames Valley Police, as a general rule, work hard to maintain good working conditions for their employees however, in the current financial climate and with the police service being destroyed by the national government, this is not always possible.

There is an apparent lack of understanding as to why they cannot retain good officers and the fact that Detective resources in particular are at critical levels within Thames Valley Police, and nationally, says a lot about the morale within the service at this time.
Pros
Job satisfaction, good pension, good job security
Cons
Stress levels will be high
love the job
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, UK30 March 2017
Love my job as a police officer, My current main role is looking for wanted and missing people, as well as dealing with criminal investigations and responding to emergencies as they happen.
There is no "typical day" as each day is always different.

Hardest part of the job is managing peoples expectations and dealing with the demand of crime. In an age of budget cuts the police are stretched further and further and it is only the public who is let down. But I love doing my job and love the new tasks I face every day.

Most enjoyable part is being able to make a real difference to peoples lives.
Pros
freedom whilst at work, fast cars, lots of days off at a time
Cons
work nights and lots of weeknds
Voluntary position
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire28 March 2017
Voluntary postion carrying out policing duties evenings and weekends. Going out on duty for at least 8 hours per week. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public and helping people. The hardest part of the job was seeing the situations people find themselves in which are not necessarily of their own making.
great place to work
Finance administrator (Former Employee) –  Oxford, UK21 March 2017
i loved working here. it was very busy, but the day really varies. they are great to work for if you want a career. staff were really friendly and company flexible.
hardworking and fun
Thames Valley Police Cadets (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire20 February 2017
this was a voluntary compain to help me develop new skills in to becoming a police officer. the benefits where that you get to meet new people and learn a lot about policing.
Pros
activities
Cons
unorganised
Great benefits, not so great salary
Resource Planner (Current Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire2 February 2017
Everything is done by the book, great benefits, and holidays. But being public sector the pay rises aren't very good or bey often
Pros
Some departments offer flexitime
Cons
Public sector pay
Productive fun workplace
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire16 January 2017
Thames valley police is and excellent police force to work for. This job is both demanding and rewarding. It's a great job for someone of my age wanting to get an understanding of how this police force works.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thames Valley Police. Our community is ready to answer.