Thales
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Thales Employee Reviews

United Kingdom158 reviews
I cant say enough good things about working for Thales
Thales approached me after I successfully completed some contract work for them 9 years prior and I accepted the job offer immediately. It was a scary proposition to migrate from a permanent position back into contracting but the best decision I could have made ever. If I could work for Thales the rest of my life I would, unfortunately my contract has run its course and I can only but hope an opportunity with Thales will present itself in the near future again - hopefully I would not have to wait 9 years again.
Motivating, Productive, Team orientated and fun
Thales has been fast paced but highly motivating, productive and fun place to work at. It was very team orientated. Team building was constructive and a lot of fun.
Pros
Travel, Team collaboration
Progressive company
Progressive and pragmatic company, with high integrity values. I would recommend this company to anyone not frightened of a challenge. Lots of opportunities.
A productive, diverse and fun work place.
A very enjoyable place to work. and it has a good atmosphere.

This role has helped me understand further, project related activities.

The department although small, is a very hard working and team playing group.
Loved this company
Positive - Great workmates, a collaborative culture, fantastic work life balance with smart working as standard (1 - 2 days per week in the office!), good on site cafes, good training, interesting work and end products.

Negative - Lack of career progression and many old school managers (who are gradually adjusting to the new world).

Overall I loved the company, but needed to try and progress my career, so sadly I left.
Current employee
I started as an apprentice and I am now fully qualified and working in a challenging and rewarding role.
The interview process for apprentices is quite different to normal positions. I had a group debate, practical test, written task and a formal interview too.
Pros
Good work balance, challenging (in the good way) and varied
Cons
Thales are far too relaxed with some employees, it is off putting for those that actually work hard
Security and technical manager not as described
Manager was really good. But found the role did not really align to the job description. Found my role was limited by systems restrictions. Such as no wi-fi which their internal IT could never get resolved. This also prevented encrypted emails from being sent. Both are a major requirement of the role and really added to the stress of the role. I left without a position to go to... shame as managment were nice
Brilliant Pace to work
Everyone at Thales is positive ,helpful and supportive a really lovely place to work. The facilities are free car parking and on site staff restaurant , the food is very good
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Thales?
Different kind of work
Good place to work, good working attitude, good colleges to work with.
a typical day at work different challenges and work schedules.

Hardest part of job was downtime when not so busy.
Employment
It is a good place to work if you are a permanent employee but not very good if you are a contractor. Job training is almost non existing for a contractor.
fast pace, lots of change
fast pace, lots of change meaning management constantly change want they want or expect from one month to the next. Weak process, cycle doesn't get the chance to mature before a major change. good team of co-workers.
Very Interesting
A great company to work for, very interesting work to be involved in. Management are great, they allow a flexible work life. Gives me the opportunity to better my career
Thales Aerospace, Jim Davies
Having spent in excess of 10 years on and off with Thales Aerospace within the Obsolescence support department, I have always enjoyed myself at Thales.
The people are those I can talk to, work with and solve whatever Obsolescence problems at hand.

The type of work problems, teams rallied around whether UK or France. all rallied together
Productive and fun place to work
Diverse industry and opportunities to learn from expert colleagues. Good work life balance and expectations of role clearly outlined. Enjoyable place to work
Your face has to fit
I worked here for quite a while and found it difficult to be able to integrate. Teams are very closed off. Unless you’re in the managements back pocket they have no interest in you. There is very much a divide between the ranks and even more so with salary.
If you get in a good team with a responsive manager great, but otherwise you need to have an attitude whereby you work to live and not live to work .
Abysmal management, talented colleagues
Thales is one of those companies that has way more managers than it needs, some of whom are promoted past the point of competency. A result of this is numerous meetings that seem to be called just so managers can hear each other talk and actually get in the way of getting the job done. I'm sure that this is because they have government contracts so the business of LOOKING busy is more important than actually getting on with the work.
One thing they do well is hiring engineers/technicians etc - they are invariably well skilled and often have a wide range of experience. It should be noted however that the most successful teams are the ones that have formed out of necessity, the ones formed by management tend to be not so successful.
Very Open and Friendly Working Environment
Enjoyed my time at Thales, working under a great manager. I learned a lot from both the day-to-day job training and the graduate training scheme. In addition to academics, there were also some colleagues who had experience using previous versions of the technology that I was working on and therefore supported by sharing knowledge from their experiences.
Learnt loads
It gave me a great in-site into how manufacturing and management techniques that I had studied in my degree where/ or could be put in place.
I got to see the way that different engineering roles interact and depend on each other around the shop floor.
Mixed bag
Not so much an IT role at times, felt like a call centre environment. Micromanagement was quite a problem in the work place and managers would watch everything you did to the tiniest detail. Colleagues would snitch on you to managers if you made any tiny mistake instead of just telling you themselves. There are some good salaries here but in the IT call centre bit expect your mental state to deteriate over time from the complaining customers and passive management.
Pros
Good ICT equipment
Cons
Poor Management in the IT call centre
Productive and friendly workplace
Nice place to work with encouraging seniors and colleagues.
Learned considerably within a short time which would help in me in my future career progression.
Ups and Downs
interesting work and small pockets of fun
environment relaxed, possibly too relaxed

those that work the least are often praised wrongly and this has a major impact on morale. Too much dead wood
Pros
half day Friday
Cons
too many blind eyes!