Tesco Employee Reviews

Business Support Executive - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dundee City19 June 2018
Generally a good employer to work for however, at times guilty of not giving staff the true recognition they desire or deserve for the work they do on a regular basis.
Management can be good depending on your role and position within the company.

Good environment to work in in the Contact Centre but again this may differ to actually working in one of the supermarkets.

Good base for employment and steady income but often due to the structure of the company difficult to move on up the business ladder.
Pros
Comfortable place to work
Goal Orientated
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitchurch19 June 2018
Very goal driven place to work. Constantly pushed to work harder and faster in a fairly fast paced invironment. Must be capable of working in a team and communicating with other members of staff. Certain branches will not supply larger hour contracts than 16 hours so is ideal for school leavers or college students but not so good for someone in need of full time hours.
Pros
Collegue benefits
Cons
Not enough hours supplied with contracts
Busy
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool19 June 2018
My overall experience while working within Tesco has been a bit of a roller coaster, however, it has taught me a lot about the world and working in a busy environment. The majority of the staff that I worked with where very friendly, if I needed help they would help me. The thing I enjoyed the most is the relationships and bonds that you make I have met some incredible people while working there and made some friends for life. One of the hardest things I experienced while working there was an incident involving an older male colleague that seemed to continue even after management got involved.
Pros
Staff discount, good support, helpful staff, good customers.
Cons
Managers have their favourites
good benefits, bullying managers
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey19 June 2018
senior managers bully people into getting results,
departments are cliquey,
older staff members are lazy and hostile to those who challenge them,
if the face fits you get treated well, if it doesnt, even if youre a harder worker you get lumped with the tasks nobody wants to do.
job has flexible working patterns,
great for students.
has some cool benefits, like staff discount, money off restaurants and cinema.
decent pay for what the job is
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
managers, culture
Good starting job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London19 June 2018
Good starting job with opportunities to progress

Good job for weekends and for someone who needs to boost confidence and learn how to interact with the public and difficult customers.
Worth it
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle19 June 2018
Brilliant job, enjoyed working there. Staff were helpful and friendly. The tasks were reasonable and the wage was good.
Very consistent and always tasks to do.
Job could be good
Customer Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  dot.com Aylesford, Kent19 June 2018
Supposed to be Delivery Driver that equals a big NO.

Loading vans not good (poor training on this) you need to be fit as a weight lifter at times because you can load up-to twenty vans which could weigh up to 800Kg per van.

There is a preferential pecking order even if you arrive before any one else. Organised chaos at times. Wage is on the poor side. Night driving is awful trying to find houses with a name on their house from 30 meters away. Rubbish Sat-Nav come phone.

Want a social life - forget that.
Pros
Subsidised canteen, discount on food (after a period of service)
Cons
Loading vans, Put-backs, Picking.
boring
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey19 June 2018
boring, slow paces and unenjoyable organisation to work for. little challenges faced throughout a shift meaning workers often become complacent, needs to be more challenging.
Not looked after.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stroud18 June 2018
I initially applied for daytime hours but when at the interview i was told it would be working in the evenings until midnight. I went with it because the pay was good but on my first shift i was told i needed to pick up overtime for pretty much everyday of the week even though this wasnt part of my contract. I promptly left because it put too much of a strain on my physical and mental wellbeing.
Positive and friendly, yet challenging environment.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex18 June 2018
I really enjoyed my time working at Tesco Extra, a not only did I have a chance to improve my customer service skills, I also felt part of a big team of lovely people. Most of my work was on the self-scan machines, helping customers have the smoothest experience possible, although I also worked on normal checkouts and occasionally the kiosk. The management was extremely supportive and made me feel like a valued member of the team, which made the whole experience more enjoyable. My favorite part of the job was seeing the smile on a customers face when I'd been able to help them, as it often felt like I'd brightened up their day as well as mine.
Great Company to work for
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire18 June 2018
Tesco as a company is a really rewarding place to work with many added benefits.

The jobs is the same as any other retail environment where service is vital. Day to day jobs include working delivery to ensure the availability is there for the customers, making sure that the customer leaves with a smile.

The higher express management are really supportive, being available to help you if required and will actively work with you if you are looking to progress.

The hardest thing while working in convenience is as you're working in small teams, you'll frequently have times where you are short staffed and you have to meet expectations like making sure the day's deliveries are worked so they don't roll over into the next day; while also making sure that the customers need are met.
Another is working anti-social hours, where like other shift work, if you're on a rota you may work a lot of weekend late shift. Which make it difficult to make plans

However, that is only small negative as there are many positives with working in Tesco express. Such as the teams you work in make the job really enjoyable, as you're consistently making friends. Another is the company benefits like 10% off as colleague discount, added benefits include money off in selected restaurants and days out to places like Thorpe park. Lastly depending on the company's yearly results there is sometimes a annual bonus
Pros
Discount cards, great hourly rate
Cons
Shift work
Tesco Mobile is great
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sandhurst, Hampshire18 June 2018
Interacting with customers daily, helping the find a new phone of contract is fulfilling work.

Management is very well managed and helpful and sociable.

Work environment is good and cheerful, we always help each other out.

Plenty of time for breaks and rest as the sales job can be hectic and demanding.

I am nicely encouraged to be the best customer assistant I can be.

Chances to go on training courses to better your sales pitches and insurance talk so you have the ability to reach your targets.
Pros
Everything below
Cons
Small work space, wifi is not great. Thats it really.
Tesco Store Baldock
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baldock18 June 2018
I worked there as my first job and tried to gain as many skills in the work place as I could, however the management culture was abysmal and they did everything they could to blame their failings on their staff and halt your advancement, often in favour oh hiring their own friends of transferring colleagues from other stores. Tesco Baldock ate up 7 years of my life that I will never get back
Pros
Cons
Working there
Great fun with great outlook on equal working for everyone
Customer assistance (Former Employee) –  Minehead, Somerset17 June 2018
Always loved working with in tesco on any department, always there for the customers going way out to help, think tesco is a very rewarding job and almost received equal feed back. Training is second to none.i was always looking to improve on the way tesco did things to help day to day running of any department to get the best out of myself and the team I worked with.
Pros
Tesco club card with 10 o/o off and pension funds and flexible hours
Fast Environment
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Leicester17 June 2018
Every day is not the same, everybody has a problem, and i need to solve it or at least to try to help, but in General people there are Amazing, everyone is driven by their own ambitions.
Pros
Free Fruits Sometimes
Cons
Same thing Every day
Fun work environment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd16 June 2018
Both stores I have worked in have had great colleagues, nice management, and the perfect amount of flexibility. Contract shifts were stable but any overtime could be added on top whenever required.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Everyone else may get to overtime book before you
well structured workplace
Dot.Com Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Bangor16 June 2018
structured hours, consistent work and good pay. good team to work for and a positive work attitude created by the unit leaders. perfect summer job or if are looking for a stable job.
Mundane but secure.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coleraine16 June 2018
There is little room for growth or adaptability within the ranks at Tesco. Should you be doing the job on a part-time basis the don't value your progression as much as they should. As an engaged student I would've enjoyed more opportunities to grow within the company.
Pros
Set contract hours.
Cons
Lack of variety.
Hastings Tesco
General Assistant/Dot Com Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Hastings15 June 2018
You work hard to deliver a service, and got no recognition for it. Wages are poor for carrying shopping up 5 flights of stairs. Mangers are like zombies no life to them no “ good morning “ or a hello”. I left Tesco and was meant to have exit interview that never happened. They expect you to work all the hours of the sun as they don’t have enough drivers.
Pros
There are no pros
Cons
Poor wages and staff are useless
Good job and well payed
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset15 June 2018
As a student at the time of employment the hours were flexible and well payed for my age. Overall a good company to work for with good benefits including staff discount.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K