Tesco Employee Reviews

Good job ruined
Driver (Current Employee) –  Glasgow30 September 2018
This could be an excellent job, but it's ruined be terrible management and a culture of 'play it by ear to get through today'. If a van breaks down or someone phones in, just split all the deliveries on to others even if it makes every customers delivery late. No back up plan, ever. The more you do the more you get with no thanks. Some guys don't have to work weekends or back shift ever, while others are forced to work every weekend and lots of nights. You risk your life on the road, take responsibility for a 40 grand van, drive in terrible conditions, walk 100 miles a day, lift up to 4 tons a day, get soaked, frozen, climb a thousand stairs every shift, put up with angry customers, go into stinking houses, get petty rules rammed down your throat, no weekends off, constantly bombarded with texts to take overtime at standard pay rate at the last minute and all for the same money as the guy in the air conditioned phone shop texting his pals all day in the same shop.
If you need a short term job, take it but keep looking and don't believe any promise or fairy story they tell you at the start, there is a reason why they are constantly looking for more drivers.
Pros
Better than no job.
Cons
Money, conditions, incompetent management.
worthwhile role in the store.
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattersley, Greater Manchester30 September 2018
The role was satisfactory and there was always overtime going. The store was well kept and the staff worked well as a team. I enjoyed my time there particularly working morning shifts while it was quiet.
fun, friendly
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  reading29 September 2018
lovely opertunity to communicate to new customers and to delivery and maintain a high standard of service in every aspect of retail shop.
learnd how to manage a team in a busy day, how to deal with each stuff and customers needs.
Merchandising
MERCHANDISING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire29 September 2018
Managing critical paths and deliveries , analysing and
ensuring availability of stock is not riveting but was very good experience. Required strong Excel and analytical abilities
Secrity manager
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn28 September 2018
Different every day no two days the same,good staff to work with with support from the rest of the management team within my role supporting staff & customers.
Pros
Good pension
modern workplace
Staff Canteen (Former Employee) –  monkspath28 September 2018
modern clean, full training on new menus, good discounts, free meals whilst working, free drinks, high standard of customer service expected, all food fresh
Pros
free lunches
fun place
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire28 September 2018
friendly
good work atmasphere
good rewards
team work
good breaks
dealin with difficult cousins
not bein taken off for breaks on time
happy atmosphere.
Pros
discount
Cons
working weekends
First job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Brockworth, Gloucestershire28 September 2018
My first job, was able to continue and progress after and throughout university. so was able to earn some money during and after study. spent a bit to long there though haha
I have to say I had my best working times at tesco
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2018
At the time for tesco, I have to say it was very much fun working for the company, people were warm and nice people and most of my customer service skills were learnt from working for tesco.
Pros
Subsidised lunch, fun place to work
Cons
cant think of none
Dynamic and friendly work place
Senior Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandhurst28 September 2018
Played a key role in the design of the new 280 seater mezzanine restaurant. I was part of recruiting my team, training in preparation for the opening day.
I gained a good insight into the Retail world. Low margins, high turnover and good customer care.
Culture was very positive and team orientated.
The management were firm and supportive.
Hardest part: Setting up a new Restaurant at the Flagship store.
Most enjoyable: The successful opening day with a visit from Anthony Worrall Thompson.
Pros
Free lunches
Brilliant company to work for
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exmouth28 September 2018
Fantastic company to work for. Good staff and very flexible. After working for this company for 9 years I can say that I have enjoyed it whole heartedly
Tesco
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow27 September 2018
I would handle cash, serve customers, pick online orders, show excellent customer service on a day to day basis and general cleaning duties at time to time. I enjoyed working at tesco and the pay was good just looking for a new challenge
the worst company ever
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex27 September 2018
Management is terrible, They Give you contracts for 3 months after that they kick you out only when they needed, treated people like rubbish and the canteen is not available for night shift.
Pros
Cons
just a job
Perfect for students or people looking for part-time work.
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitstable26 September 2018
This work is perfect for people looking for part-time work as they will work shifts around your day to day schedule allowing you to have a good work life balance. This is ideal for students as you can fit work around your study schedule allowing you to earn money whilst still studying for your course.
Good
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Streatham26 September 2018
Alongside the staff we have converted the store to top 3 grossing stores in our area where i was then Offered permanent placement shortly after store probation period, i feel like i have Significantly improved negotiation skills, regularly converting customers from point of enquiry to sale.
I had also adapted to change well as I have moved from a sales assistant to backdoor dealing with deliveries Follow all company policies and adhere to Health and Safety routines. This meant i had gained new independent skills learning how to operate warehouse machinery and keeping the warehouse to an acceptable standard before my shift had ended
Productive and fun
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Old Kent Road26 September 2018
Opening the resister for sales, taking sales from the public, promotion of goods through posters and word of mouth, dealing with customers queries, feeling shelfs and pricing products.

I learnt the art of communicating with people from all works of life. customer satisfaction.

Management is there to train you if needed and update you on changes or improvements to your role..

Work is culture is great, team work as well as individuality.

The hardest part of the job is pleasing difficult customers.

The most enjoyable part is colleagues, staff rewards.
Pros
Reward card
Cons
Repetitive
Challenging and rewarding
Head of Strategic Partnerships - Asia (Current Employee) –  London and Thailand26 September 2018
Evolving culture and environment due to numerous reorganisations can make Tesco a challenging business to work with but also creates opportunities. Would recommend as a good place to work both in the UK and Internationally.
Was often left with nothing to do
Tesco Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheerness26 September 2018
Working as a part of the non-food department i was often left with nothing to do. Often there would be no stock that needed to be put on the shelf, there were no other team members near me to talk to, so i often found myself just counting down the hours.
High pressured.
co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Cheshunt25 September 2018
A routine and structured day, Always aim to achieve a high service level, and interact with suppliers as much as possible, and excelling in every possible way.
Benefits
Cons
not enough focus on Non Uni people.
Fleco contracts
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  England25 September 2018
Started as a temp then moved store and became “permanent” I use the quote marks because if you are on a “flexi contract” it’s only flexible for Tesco and not you. And even if you are permanent you constantly get threatened with a disciplinary and or the sack if you refuse a shift. Many times I thought I would be on a day off only to be brought in on 24 hours notice. Couldn’t plan anything ever, was constantly brought in for times outside my availability and told if I didn’t do it I’d be disciplined. So glad I left and I won’t go back.
Pros
Money, pension
Cons
Hours, flexi contacts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.5K