Tesco Employee Reviews

Hard work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom16 July 2018
I loved this job for 8 years of the nine I was there for. You get a good pension scheme and a privilege card for 10% of when you have been with the company 6 months. Due to a change in management my job role did not progress to where I thought it should have so I left to follow other avenues.
Pros
Good staff beneifits
Cons
Short staffed
Okay workplace but bad management
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeenshire16 July 2018
As a checkout assistant you are obviously always on the checkout and interacting with customers, this itself is good as you get to have interesting conversations but the management care too much about their ranking in the Tesco groups than the actual customers' experience and pressure you to hand out surveys, etc so they get a good review online. There's a lot of pressure on the staff not to forget these things and they're constantly watched. I once forgot to ask 1 person out of 4 to fill in a survey when being watched and was given a warning. It's beyond ridiculous. After being signed off I have also discovered the management are less than happy to help you with changing hours to suit your needs, they really lack any flexibility and make up rules as they go along just so that they can fill up their shifts. Now with them getting rid of benefits such as time and a half pay it really is not worth working there.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
Management, lack of caring
Great colleagues-Awful management.
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea16 July 2018
Tesco is a good company to work for, the work itself is fairly straight forward, the pay is just above NMW. What consistently lets them down is the management from team leader to store manager. Individuals promoted beyond their abilities with no idea how to do the basic administration of managing a store, this in turn leads to frantic last minute phone calls to cover shifts, shops running on skeleton staff, frequent late or incorrect pay, which then takes a month to sort out. Tesco also promotes a snitching culture which I have witnessed firsthand, staff cliques taking out their frustrations by ringing the report helpline. The customer assistants are fantastic people it just seems the management are quick to climb the ladder and then pull it up after them if you show any degree of ingenuity. To conclude Its a job.....which I am still in ironically.
Pros
Secure, Above NMW, Flexible
Cons
Terrible management, Frequent pay issues
Good company to work for
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wrexham16 July 2018
Great Company to work for. Staff are great. Management is okay. There’s lots of overtime available. They always try to get you to work on days you don’t want to, Specially your days off.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Repetitive work
Stabiler Arbeitsort
Customer Asisstant (Former Employee) –  County Antrim16 July 2018
Neben der körperlichen Bewegung hat mir der Job eigentlich schon spaß gemacht. Nur ist die Arbeit eher Einseitig und es gibt wenig ernstere Herausforderungen.
Pros
Zusatzleistungen
Cons
einseitig
work experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere16 July 2018
i have undertaken a range of tasks in customer service on the checkouts dealing with customers.

i have also worked on the shop floor doing a range of tasks including stacking shelves rumbling cardboard and helping colleagues with their tasks if they need my help.

the staffing team at Tescos have been very friendly and have helped me achieve all the skills i feel i need for a career in retail
Pros
meeting new people learning new skills
good to work at
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crewe16 July 2018
hours are flexible and even contracted shifts are changed with ease if neede. management very good and helpful, really enjoy working here had no issues pay is good
an easy paced work place
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2018
the day to day life is very much the same, after a while what was once challenging is a mundane version of ground hog day, but it is an income and for what you do, its easy work.
Pros
lots of discounts
Cons
pointlessly long breaks, 9 hour shift with hour and half unpaid yet you have to stay onsite
Brilliant
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff15 July 2018
I personally loved working for the Tesco call centre , The staff were all lovely , not one person there that was horrible or unhelpful.
Shifts were always indicated clearly and enough notice given, the computers were always to working standard and the canteen there was something else :)
Pros
lovely working environment
Enjoyable
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 July 2018
Working at Tesco is such a great place to have a career as not many companies give a fair pay to young people however Tesco did. Not only this all staff including management are friendly.
Pros
Good pay
Hard Workplace
Tesco (Former Employee) –  London14 July 2018
It is hard working however you have the chance to develop new skills as I had to undertake various roles such as customer service, I also had to work under pressure which taught me how to deal with the work-life.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Tiresome
good team,dire management
Packer to Skilled Baker (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire13 July 2018
as with most big companies,the little people did all the hard work,while management literally sat in the canteen playing fifa.
also had a habit of putting under qualified and in some instances completely inexperienced people in managment positions
Pros
cheap canteen good team
Cons
poor senior team
Tesco
(Current) Customer Assistant (Dot Com) (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire13 July 2018
the company is a joke. they don't care for the staff, only the managers. it's so corrupted. i would not recommend to anyone they lie, just to get you to stay, make promises and yet don't hold them!

AVOID.
Good
Warehouse/backdoor assistant (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland13 July 2018
Good place to work but been/done better. Lot of people around you doing nothing so you have to do much more. But overall good money for minimum effort.
Every good place to work
Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trowbridge, Wiltshire12 July 2018
I’ve been working there almost two years and it a good place but not very good of giving support and not planning covered staff well.
Always give the customer the best customer service I can possibly give
Pros
Great deals on for the staff
Cons
Not get enough support
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant Stock Control (Current Employee) –  Orpington12 July 2018
Tesco is a great place to work with many flexible hours. A typical day consists of filling shelves, checking sell by dates and cleaning messy areas. I have learned how to manage my time better through different tasks.
Please Beware
Dotcom Customer Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom12 July 2018
Let me start by saying it's not always been this way before Dave Lewis became CEO it was a great company to work for but not any more! Over the last few years Sunday/Bank Holiday pay as gone from double time to time and a half and now time and a quarter leaving many loyal hard working employees taking home much less pay. This job is promoted with being your own boss out on the road, listening to music, having long conversations with customers but in truth it is back busting work rushing from one drop to the next, doing multiples trips up flights of stairs with only a few minutes being allocated leaving you even further behind. Most of the time you're treated like a cat sent out the door and forgotten about in the freezing cold slipping on ice or roasting in the baking sun with no air conditioning and when you finally get a day off expect many phone calls asking you to come in with sulky replies if you say no or after waiting around all day for a night shift getting a phone call informing you that you've not got a run and asking you to change your shift to another day and not come in that night. Basically stay clear once in it's hard to get out but on a positive note you'll meet a great bunch of people who have all developed a trench mentality and for the short period you're with them you'll have the best laugh. This could be a great job once again if they improved working conditions and restored pay, we wasn't doing much less before but we felt appreciated. Couldn't be happier now that I've finally got out of Tesco but was hard saying goodbye to a great number of friends I made  more... over the years.  less
Pros
Great bunch of people
Cons
Box not big enough
Customer service
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon12 July 2018
It was a good experience for me being my first job as I managed to learn how to deal with customers and gain better knowledge on my customer service skills.
Maintenance
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City12 July 2018
Every day different with new and existing challenges.
Team playing essential
Maintenance management needed to be more accessible
Difficult to work safely at times with retails often disregard for H&S standards
To get all departments to agree on a safe working action plan.
The smiles from customers and staff on completion of the task in hand
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Early starts
Loved working as a festive colleague
Festive colleague (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, brewery lane11 July 2018
The job was a temporary contract for Christmas, I had a few personal issues which caused me to as for a change in shifts and days off which I didn't want to do. They were amazing about it and genuinely care about the staff. I loved every minute and I never ever dreaded a shift I wish I was able to give the job 100percent. But the management and staff are friendly and so helpful it was a really good experience I recommend anyone who has an opportunity to work for Tesco jump at it. Within a short space of time I worked on the tills, grocery department and the fresh department it was a great experience the training day initially was a bit daunting however it flew by it was really laid back and a good Day. There was never any pressure to do more hours than the contracted hours and the availability that's discussed initially is flexible to suit individuals, they are an absolutely genuinely caring company the management worked just as hard as the staff and never asked you fm to do anything out of your comfort zone. The store manager and deputy manager are a young dynamic team and worked on Christmas Eve and busy periods so customers were happy and the staff never seemed phased or overwhelmed with thebusy tasks at hand
Pros
Online discount through a staff site, great management, the staff are looked after
Cons
None I couldn't pick one con.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K