Tesco Pay & Benefits reviews

Grocery Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Banff, Aberdeenshire20 July 2018
Tesco is a great place to work the pay and benefits are great as well. The staff are great and fun to work with, the management are good to work for and can make it a fun place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Late nights
peaceful environment
General Cleaning and Janitor (Former Employee) –  Slough19 July 2018
Work in Tesco as a cleaner give me an experience how to do cleaning inside and outside Tesco store.
In the other time i also learn how to tidy up delivery items at the warehouse.
Pros
free meal on duty
Cons
flexible hours
Well paid but work life balance is awful.
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland18 July 2018
Good salary and package but as a company they don’t know enough about pharmacy and that causes constant problems. Work life balance is awful and no option to progress career.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
No career progression, company not clued up on pharmacy
fun people to work with
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Didcot17 July 2018
the work life was night shift therefore i didnt get much of a social life but i met some good people working at tescos and it was a good wage to be able to live on
Pros
money
Cons
shift
There was not fun at all
FLT Reach Driver (Former Employee) –  Lichfield17 July 2018
This place was ok. It is a very busy warehouse. there is no time for any fun. You do same work everyday such as picking, no fun whatso ever. And also a long distance traveling. Lots of time consuming.
Pros
yes, subsudised food and drinks
Cons
It was a fixed shift pattern
Excellent place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside17 July 2018
My store I worked at was a great environment and the college's where fantastic. Tesco is a great place to work with all kinds of benefits. Including bonus, pay as you earn and discount in purchases.
Okay workplace but bad management
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeenshire16 July 2018
As a checkout assistant you are obviously always on the checkout and interacting with customers, this itself is good as you get to have interesting conversations but the management care too much about their ranking in the Tesco groups than the actual customers' experience and pressure you to hand out surveys, etc so they get a good review online. There's a lot of pressure on the staff not to forget these things and they're constantly watched. I once forgot to ask 1 person out of 4 to fill in a survey when being watched and was given a warning. It's beyond ridiculous. After being signed off I have also discovered the management are less than happy to help you with changing hours to suit your needs, they really lack any flexibility and make up rules as they go along just so that they can fill up their shifts. Now with them getting rid of benefits such as time and a half pay it really is not worth working there.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
Management, lack of caring
Good company to work for
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wrexham16 July 2018
Great Company to work for. Staff are great. Management is okay. There’s lots of overtime available. They always try to get you to work on days you don’t want to, Specially your days off.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Repetitive work
good to work at
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crewe16 July 2018
hours are flexible and even contracted shifts are changed with ease if neede. management very good and helpful, really enjoy working here had no issues pay is good
Hard Workplace
Tesco (Former Employee) –  London14 July 2018
It is hard working however you have the chance to develop new skills as I had to undertake various roles such as customer service, I also had to work under pressure which taught me how to deal with the work-life.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Tiresome
Good
Warehouse/backdoor assistant (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland13 July 2018
Good place to work but been/done better. Lot of people around you doing nothing so you have to do much more. But overall good money for minimum effort.
fun to work here and lots of new people you meet everyday
Xmas staff temp retail asst (Former Employee) –  Levenshulme11 July 2018
fantastic place to work in meeting different and new people everyday from all types of backgrounds i learned about other cultures working in this place and about other foods aswell i enjoyed meeting new people everyday/
Pros
long lunches aolot of breaks also
Cons
long hours plenty of ot available also
Multi Tasking
Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland10 July 2018
Very high paced roll, expectations too much sometimes. No consistency in your role and not giving much praise or support. Long days are an expectation.
Benefits
Cons
hours
Can be good.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Irlam, Greater Manchester10 July 2018
Don’t seem to stick to your contracted hours as management are always looking for extra work.
Management can be very poor and rude depending on their mood.
Pros
Good pay for the work you do.
Cons
Poor management
Excellent for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire8 July 2018
As I am a student, tesco was extremely helpful in accomodating my hours - i.e., during term time when I am away from home, I can swap to a store near the university, or not work at all, with the assurance I will be given hours when I am home (christmas, summer etc).
It is also a fair wage - age is not considered, everyone is paid on their skill level. Meaning that when I joined at age 17, I was earning the same as everyone else on my department, which I think was fair, given we are doing exactly the same job.
Pros
10% discount, annual bonus
Cons
Long hours, unpaid breaks
Brilliant staff
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth6 July 2018
I absolutely loved working with the store in Aberystwyth. The staff turnover, however, was frustratingly high and there was a disparity between the quality of managers - One manager we loved, another we knew would have us working late into the night as she was not fantastic at time management. The benefits and potential for advancement and multi-skilling makes this a fantastic workplace, however.
Was a good job but cut back's got me layed off.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverfordwest5 July 2018
Enjoyed the time i was there.
Staff were good as a team and the mangers will listen to you and be understanding.
Pay was good.
May appy for a job there in the future.
Pros
Happy to help you if tou needed it.
Cons
Over worked and under payed lol.
Good but bad
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire5 July 2018
Expected to do a lot especially a lot of overtime depending on what Dept youre assigned too.
Managers can be a massive pain they do not do anything to help but will moan when you cannot finish all your tasks
People are friendly
Some customers are nice some are not
Pros
Good pay
Cons
not flexible
I like working here.
Customer assistant (Current Employee) –  South Wales4 July 2018
I have worked for Tesco for a couple of years - I must say with all the up and downs I still enjoy it here. It is very demanding and fast paced at times and I have had to wonder if it’s worth it.

But I must say I am lucky to work with an amazing team of people. Which helps massively.
Pros
Salary is good, perks are good.
Cons
Low hour contacts, and this new flexi hrs isn’t ideal for people with small children etc.
Inclusive and relaxed work place
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh4 July 2018
Good sense of community
Lots of benefits
Friendly management
Good work ethic among staff
Good morale
Flexible hours
Good relationship with customers
Excellent customer service

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K