Tesco Employee Reviews for General Assistant

Its a job
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caterham, Surrey4 April 2018
it was evident if you dont fit a certain profile you will not progress. often line managers were too demanding quick to blame no support, a do as your told attitude.
Pros
discount card
Cons
long hours working for idiots.
Gereral retial work
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear1 April 2018
Started work at Tesco on bread and cake department for 2 years also multi skilled on dot com picking and delivery, fresh counters, stock control and checkouts. Worked as Warehouse team leader for 8 years untill team leader rolls were made redundant on a national scale. Currently work nights filling shelves.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Mundane work
Avoid!
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Isle Of Man29 March 2018
Managers out for themselves and fellow collegues either incompetent or just very lazy.Worked in Retail for over 20 years and 4 years in Tesco by far the worst company i have ever worked for AVOID!
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Rubbish shift patterns, Managers and Collegues
not bad as first time job
General Assistant/butcher (Current Employee) –  Cambridgeshire29 March 2018
typicial day at is be prepared for each day to be diferent then the last.
mananagment not too bad.
workplace aint too bad.
enjoyable part of the job is meeting new and different people everyday.
fun work able to have hours to saits you
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blandford Forum, Dorset26 March 2018
a good place to work for and able to talk to managers if you have any promblms you can pick your hours to suit you and good training pargramme and good workplace
Pros
good price lunch
workplace culture
General Assistant (Nights) (Former Employee) –  Dunstable, Bedfordshire21 March 2018
ex employee
treated like dirt, started off as day shift, cashier and tills, then put on nights without being consulted, contract not honoured, long hours,
worked for them for 11 years, then dismissed for no reason, glad to see back of the company, pay awful, long hours, no time for family, often dragged in when I was on my nights off or if I was due to go on holiday , did 5 nights a week, most colleagues were helpful, union people did not stick up for the workers, always changing managers, I had 4 when I started, and whittled down to 2 on nights.
Pros
no free lunches except at christmas
Cons
long hours, no family life, no sick pay, wages always wrong, always had to see personnel to ger them rectified.
fun workplace
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands18 March 2018
loved it there stacked shelves all night oculdnt complain, beautiful scenery loved the music that used to play at night too especially at christmas it was amazing
Awful place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft, Suffolk13 March 2018
Really bad place to work - I hope I never have to work there again. The staff are very cliquey and nasty to outsiders. The worst company I have ever worked for.
Fun workplace
general assistant (Current Employee) –  Dorset16 February 2018
The people are lovely, for me my management has been very good. but some stores can be rather lazy with their management. Their sickness system i found to be quite unfair, but i feel the pay is fair, and the bonus/benefits is good, they dont tend to act much on their staff feedback which is a shame. options to progress are very much fair and managers will pick up on potential.
Pros
nice people, easy job not too much stress
Cons
managers not strict enough, sickness system feels unfair
Great atmosphere and variety.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow15 February 2018
The 24 hour nature of larger supermarkets has led to unsociable hours becoming the norm. Overall, the atmosphere and variety of different tasks kept things fresh and there was great scope for progression assuming you were willing to potentially relocate.
Excellent team
General Assistant nights (Former Employee) –  Pontyclun, Rhondda Cynon Taff15 February 2018
During my short time at Tesco I built a great rapport with the night team. I thoroughly enjoyed my role and operated in several department. The management were fantastic and informative.
Pros
Hot food available
good place to work
General Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Greenock, Inverclyde14 February 2018
I've never had an issue with Tesco as company. There's a healthy give and take ethic within the store I worked in. There is always the opportunity to get experience on other departments if it's wanted. There's a culture of sharing knowledge and always teaching and helping coworkers.
everyone is made to feel part of a team
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Solihull8 February 2018
It is an early start 6.00 am so up at 4.50 am clock in on time there is a work rate so you need to keep on the move but shop as well as you can for each customer. Breaks about 9.30 am for 30 mins. then back to start again finish as 12.45 as I am contracted then do my own shopping before returning home. I started when my children where still at school so worked on the deli counter Fridays evenings and Saturdays 9.00 am till 3.00 pm then moved to clothing when they were older and worked 3 evenings a week before going into the NEW opticians dept stayed there for 3 years that was a late in the week one early and Sundays. So I then had the chance to work 4 days a week on dot com.
I enjoy working with the people in my dept. everyone trys to get on and help new staff there are quite a few dept.managers now there only use to be one when I started. You try to make an effort to communicate with them so they can help with wage or holiday queries for you.
Pros
free xmas breakfast discounts on shopping free shares etc
Cons
none really.
Unfair
general assistant (Current Employee) –  bristol5 February 2018
Jobs are left to certain people and not shared out equally amongst all the staff.
was ok for paying the bills and as a job.
benefits were good but progression only happened if you fitted in with management team
Long Hours Allot of Covers
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Austell, Cornwall2 February 2018
My experience of Tesco was different it was tough too work for them when i started there i had little or no money the hours where long on your feet and i had not much food . The manager of the day shift was having personal issues within the store i felt that they didn't explain the jobs as best as they could allso there was many complaints about products and offers . Allso it was tough too see that amount of perfectly good food going in the waste bin every day, knowing that i had little or no food and money each day,too eat too perform my role as best as possible,allso cages have wheels and often break which can make the job more difficult and some days cause extra work and on extreme occasions injurys . Other staff seem exhausted mentally and emotionally. And there is not much one on one support .
Pros
can choose your shifts
Cons
allot of complaints
Mind Numbingly awful
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross31 January 2018
All shift just spent stacking shelves and helping out other staff who refuse to pull their own weight. No opportunity for advancement even if you show willing. Pathetic appraisals for customers reporting you have given exceptional customer service (a chocolate Fredo frog is standard).
You get a box of roses if your face fits - always the same staff getting the better rewards.
Pros
Cheap canteen
Cons
Lazy senior management satff
Tesco
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex30 January 2018
Tesco was a lot of fun for the time I was there. On a typical shift I was required to stock the shelves of products and answer customers queries when required. Management went great as they lacked people skills a lot of the time. Workplace culture was good as you would complete your tasks required and build good relationship with your co workers. Again here I learned the value of team work.
Pros
Merting new people
Cons
Too many managers, not enough trained staff
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falkirk29 January 2018
In Tesco, well our branch, there are numerous problems which happen daily but no manager will actually fix. You simply cannot get your own job done because others have not done theirs. They are asking for your daily stock control routines to be completed but they will not put staff into the area within the department to get it into a place so you can complete it.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lazy management, no communication, just above minimum wage pay
its alright
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hailsham, East Sussex25 January 2018
My role is to break down the delivery in the morning for my team to fill after, some of the cages that come on the delivery are really messed up and then this makes it harder for me. thats the only thing that gets on my nerves. everything else is brilliant.
Pros
good environment
Cons
flexi contract
Fast working
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset22 January 2018
A steady job .. not much room for progression! If your looking to climb up the ladder then perhaps Tesco isn’t the place for you. A lot of structure change over the last couple of years , not all for the better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.2K