Tesco Employee Reviews for General Assistant

Very professional
Well known company
Not great benefits
Good management
Salary could be better especially for unsociable hours
Training is good and chances to progress
Cons
Unsociable hours
General assistant / step up team leader (Current Employee) –  Purley4 October 2018
Tesco is a great place to work and i have learnt a great deal ivw also made many friends the hours are good and for the most part management are sound
great atmosphere
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby17 September 2018
Great place to work and lovely people to work with what i can remember.. Long shifts and hard work but very good place to be earning money and gaining experience.
Nice work environment
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire15 September 2018
Tesco is a very modernised company that are always trying to keep up to date with the way they handle staff.

in this role i have learned how to deliver a high level of customer service.
Fun, nice working environment
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleckheaton10 September 2018
Fun, nice working environment

A typical day at work was great I would arrive clock in get my gear on and head out for a walk round the car park to look for some trollies, after an hour or two I would take a wander inside and see if I can help any customers or staff with their breaks or anything else (I would also go to petrol for the same reasons)
My breaks were always fun and cheerful but I think I am the only one who thought so.
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester5 September 2018
I enjoy my job i like the challenge the pfs brings i also enjoy the other departments that i can work i love being a team player i like being challenged and am an excellent communicater
Pros
Close to home
Boring
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marsh Way26 August 2018
I got along with some of the colleagues but most of them were very ignorant and rude. The manager was nice but wasn't there when she was needed. Sometimes on evenings and weekends.
Great place to work but some managers let the place down
Tesco General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barry23 August 2018
Do deliverys in the morning and then work backstock and some managers don’t appreciate the effort you put in for the company, I improved my interaction with customers
Great first time experience
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield23 August 2018
During this time period I took it upon myself to do a couple weeks of work experience in Tesco. It gave me the insight to what the life of work is like and I will use this experience to further my enthusiasm to go into the world of work
Productive and fun workplace
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover22 August 2018
Flexible work hours, very understanding management.
Some great colleagues and good shift hours.
Lots of opportunities for overtime and to work within different departments.
Pros
Great people to work with and a great company to work for
Cons
Useless cleaners
Poorly managed with zero chance of advancement and low morale
General Assistant / Nightshift (Current Employee) –  Southport15 August 2018
Tesco used to be a great place to work. Over the last couple of years, it has become less and less somewhere that you would like to work. New staff are quickly dragged to the low morale levels of more experienced staff, and NO-ONE from the top down cares about anything at all, apart from how much money is taken, and how badly the store is missing their DOTCOM targets. Customers in the store do not matter, only DOTCOM.
Pros
Fair pay rates
Cons
Poor management, no vision, no one is bothered.
Productive hard job but fun place
General assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 August 2018
We treated eachother as a second family as we were there working with other members as a one team so there had to be good communication between us all.tescos was a good place to work had good benefits to want to reach our targets.every night was a challenge to get the work do to the best of our ability.i would like to think I was a good worker and would try to get my job done so it would look nice I worked on a big department known as produce which had 3 aisles lots of promotion ends which were weekly offers.i always had good feed back about my work and end product which was awarding.but I feel being there at Tesco’s 19 years I needed a fresh challenge
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Long hours very busy nights
Excellent Student Job, However Difficult as a Full Time Job
General Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Portadown9 August 2018
Tesco are an excellent company and have presented me with many opportunities to grow, learn, and develop. The pay package is excellent and the job is manageable. It's only downfall are the small hours contracts; having sat on a 7.5 hour contract for a year and a half, I have been working full time hours through somewhat consistent overtime opportunities, offering me an additional degree of flexibility and work-life balance, however, I have often found myself worried as budget restrictions can result in occasionally reduced overtime opportunities, which can cause financial difficulties and a sense of instability. The team does almost make up for that though, as they are excellent to work with, and overall, the environment is welcoming, pleasant, and fun.
Pros
Great Wage, Amazing Team Effort, Flexible
Cons
Short Contracts
Not the best place to work
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  South West9 August 2018
This is about working in the cafe. Managers expect the impossible, everyone works on their own in the afternoons, usually 4 hours by themselves and you will get told off if you don't get a chance to do any prep regardless if you've been busy on your own. There's no set rota, rotas are usually put up at the last minute and you're expected to be psychic and know if they have changed whilst you've had a day off. Morale is low and I dread going to work.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Most things
Friendly but hard work
General Assistant (Produce/Grocery/cash registers) (Former Employee) –  Ballymoney8 August 2018
Tesco in ballymoney provide a family orientated work environment where people are embraced for the skills they can provide the company and for those willing to put the work in the money will be there
Work Life
General Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Forres24 July 2018
Working for tesco has worked well for me in the past and the present it gives me plenty time to spend with my son. They have also been easy going around family well being as my son used to have to go to hospital a lot as a baby to 2 years old, they gave me the time to make sure he was ok before returning to work.
normal
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  seacroft leeds23 July 2018
only worked 5 hours a day 4 a days a week and i worked stacking shelves of crisps, pop and alcohol. it was good to work for at the time and the staff was friendly.
Pros
worked with my cousin
Cons
manager was not manger material and had no experience.
its good money
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport20 July 2018
its good money and shift are not to bad will have to work weekends because its a supermarket but they will teach u everything you want to know about retail and more if your willing to learn
an easy paced work place
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2018
the day to day life is very much the same, after a while what was once challenging is a mundane version of ground hog day, but it is an income and for what you do, its easy work.
Pros
lots of discounts
Cons
pointlessly long breaks, 9 hour shift with hour and half unpaid yet you have to stay onsite
Average
General Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Rickmansworth25 June 2018
Stack shelves, serve customers, work contracted hours, choose if you want to work overtime. The job is exactly how you think it will be. Retail is very repetitive.
Pros
option to work more hours
Cons
very boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.5K