Tesco Employee Reviews for General Assistant

an easy paced work place
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2018
the day to day life is very much the same, after a while what was once challenging is a mundane version of ground hog day, but it is an income and for what you do, its easy work.
Pros
lots of discounts
Cons
pointlessly long breaks, 9 hour shift with hour and half unpaid yet you have to stay onsite
Average
General Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Rickmansworth25 June 2018
Stack shelves, serve customers, work contracted hours, choose if you want to work overtime. The job is exactly how you think it will be. Retail is very repetitive.
Pros
option to work more hours
Cons
very boring
Very fun
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex14 June 2018
Loved my time at Tesco. Like a little family when you get settled in. The staff benefits are second to none and I found them incredibly flexible when it came to the work/life balance
busy but fun place to work
General Assistant and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Long Eaton26 May 2018
Lots of different jobs to do so you don't get bored doing the same old thing everyday. lots of nice people to work with. lots of different training on offer.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management
Great company
General assistant/assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Perivale24 May 2018
Being in Tesco for years helped me gain great customer service skills and prople skills. You have plenty of overtime to do if required, and the company is very flexible in meeting your needs.
Good
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falkirk15 May 2018
For those who don't mind hard work and interaction with a huge range of people and tasks Tesco is an ideal employer.
Sometimes repetitive work.......is made enjoyable by our many and varied customers...... If you're a people person you'll love it......9 out of 10 customers are sound as a pound !
Pros
Free hot and cold drinks and discounted food in staff canteen.
Cons
You need to be able to bend over backwards to progress to management.
General Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent12 May 2018
I currently work as Customer Relationship Assistant at LASER Energy. The role is very challenging and I often have to work to deadlines due to the large number of portfolios that are my responsibility. Having only been in my position for a year I am already considered as one of the most experienced members of my team. This is due to my willingness to learn and my positive work ethic. Our customers are the most important part of my job role and each day I strive to ensure that they are given the best customer service possible. With gas and electric being such an ever changing business most of my customers need managing on a daily basis. This involves price changes, invoicing, managing queries and general management of their portfolio. I often liaise with suppliers to ensure that customer satisfaction is maintained and that my customers are informed of any changes to their portfolio. My high standard of work means that I am a team coach for my company and I am involved with the development of new employees. I enjoy working shoulder to shoulder with these individuals as it allows me to share my knowledge and my great work ethic.
bad
General Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Teddington8 May 2018
A horrible place to work I had trouble with managers and a few staff. Tesco gave me a lot of stress and anxiety the last few years and I got a bad letter from the manager so I would not recommend people to work there. I worked for Tesco for many years and they just did not care about me all they care about is themselves.
Pros
good discount, good share scheme, good pension scheme
Cons
team leaders and managers always watching you, waiting for you to make a mistake then cart you off to the office very petty.
Shop floor
Tesco General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln5 May 2018
Stocking shelves training staff in health and safety dealing with customers helping them find things they were looking for.working as a team is great at Tesco
Pros
Team work
Cons
Hours
Superstore
General Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ramsgate24 April 2018
Your always busy doing something. You get trained to work multiple departments. Some of the management is more approachable than others. It really depends on how confident you are and how much you want to achieve. It is very hard to progress. Friends are easy to come by. The last manager I had was the best. I could chat to them about allsorts. I'm till in touch with them now .
productive and fun
Part-time General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishops Stortford17 April 2018
great company with ability to work around with life plans.

management were great to work with and overtime was always there to do an hour to two after contracted shift.
Pros
friendl management
Cons
can't get full time without being management
Its a job
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caterham, Surrey4 April 2018
it was evident if you dont fit a certain profile you will not progress. often line managers were too demanding quick to blame no support, a do as your told attitude.
Pros
discount card
Cons
long hours working for idiots.
Gereral retial work
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear1 April 2018
Started work at Tesco on bread and cake department for 2 years also multi skilled on dot com picking and delivery, fresh counters, stock control and checkouts. Worked as Warehouse team leader for 8 years untill team leader rolls were made redundant on a national scale. Currently work nights filling shelves.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Mundane work
Avoid!
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Isle Of Man29 March 2018
Managers out for themselves and fellow collegues either incompetent or just very lazy.Worked in Retail for over 20 years and 4 years in Tesco by far the worst company i have ever worked for AVOID!
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Rubbish shift patterns, Managers and Collegues
not bad as first time job
General Assistant/butcher (Current Employee) –  Cambridgeshire29 March 2018
typicial day at is be prepared for each day to be diferent then the last.
mananagment not too bad.
workplace aint too bad.
enjoyable part of the job is meeting new and different people everyday.
fun work able to have hours to saits you
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blandford Forum, Dorset26 March 2018
a good place to work for and able to talk to managers if you have any promblms you can pick your hours to suit you and good training pargramme and good workplace
Pros
good price lunch
workplace culture
General Assistant (Nights) (Former Employee) –  Dunstable, Bedfordshire21 March 2018
ex employee
treated like dirt, started off as day shift, cashier and tills, then put on nights without being consulted, contract not honoured, long hours,
worked for them for 11 years, then dismissed for no reason, glad to see back of the company, pay awful, long hours, no time for family, often dragged in when I was on my nights off or if I was due to go on holiday , did 5 nights a week, most colleagues were helpful, union people did not stick up for the workers, always changing managers, I had 4 when I started, and whittled down to 2 on nights.
Pros
no free lunches except at christmas
Cons
long hours, no family life, no sick pay, wages always wrong, always had to see personnel to ger them rectified.
fun workplace
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands18 March 2018
loved it there stacked shelves all night oculdnt complain, beautiful scenery loved the music that used to play at night too especially at christmas it was amazing
Awful place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft, Suffolk13 March 2018
Really bad place to work - I hope I never have to work there again. The staff are very cliquey and nasty to outsiders. The worst company I have ever worked for.
Fun workplace
general assistant (Current Employee) –  Dorset16 February 2018
The people are lovely, for me my management has been very good. but some stores can be rather lazy with their management. Their sickness system i found to be quite unfair, but i feel the pay is fair, and the bonus/benefits is good, they dont tend to act much on their staff feedback which is a shame. options to progress are very much fair and managers will pick up on potential.
Pros
nice people, easy job not too much stress
Cons
managers not strict enough, sickness system feels unfair

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K