Tesco Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Lovely colleagues, bad management
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire12 August 2018
Colleagues are what make you stay longer than you should have - Met some wonderful people during my time with Tesco. Unfortunately my opinion of the company itself is somewhat more negative. Issues with pay almost every month without fail, including my last wage which I was still chasing after I left. No real employee benefits, lower wage for supermarkets in comparison to competitors. Company is against hiring full time resulting in staff accepting part time contracts and then grabbing overtime.
Pros
Local, Convenient, Free Parking, Overtime
Cons
Bad management, No progression opportunities
Great for Overachievers
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cannock16 May 2018
I am a very happy and cheerful person and found the job a great way of meeting new people. As I worked evening most of my shifts was serving customers but never really had the chance to learn anything new as the management didn't have time to show me and working in an Express store the staffing levels were low. This meant I was on the shop floor alone a lot of the time which I didn't feel was good approaching late evening as a woman on her own in charge of the shop and till. I did raise interest many times during my 3 years to learn other things but unless you was interested in becoming a team leader/manager you was over looked. I left very unhappy and emotionally drained.
Pros
Time of shift could be flexible
Cons
Poor security and lack of incentives
Nice, competitive work environment
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 August 2018
I found my time at Tesco to be highly enjoyable, though I think they had room for improvement. All employees were on a six month rotating contract that could be refreshed if they went onto a new campaign. Excellent in-house services and quality of staff care, with nice benefits including vouchers, bonuses, and some healthcare plans were awarded.
Best company ever!!!!!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Billingham-on-Tees, North Yorkshire13 June 2018
Managers actually care about the staffs well-being, they help the staff on their department on busy days. The benefits of working for tesco are huge, staff discount, colleague bonuses, colleague offers and much more. If you can't work a shift for a reason the managers will sit with you and talk about why, what they can do to help, does anything need changing, is it permanent, do they need to take you off that shift completely or is it a one off.
TESCO CARES FOR ITS STAFF
Pros
Staff Discount
Good place to w
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Neath, Neath Port Talbot25 July 2018
Tesco is a great place to work and has good benefits very strict with their policies as expected but overall a good place . I would recommend people to apply with Tesco good working staff there I enjoyed my time there and made lots of friends
Okay
Christmas Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  York30 June 2018
Working here was okay, but no benefits and the management didn't handle certain problem employees very well. Main manager was horrible/unprofessional.
Good Pay but Intense Work
Customer Service Assistance (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth2 September 2018
Working as a customer service assistant at Tesco would be an intense role a lot of the time, due to the busyness of the store.
However, working there i got on with all of my colleges which made that intense, busy environment a fun place to work.

However, the management in the department that I worked in I as not particularly fond of, and neither were a lot of my fellow colleges who left similar comments. This is overall one of the reasons in which I left Tesco and have gone on to find another job.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Long Hours, Intense work Place, Management
Avoid!
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland16 July 2018
If I could give this review 0 stars instwad of 1 I would!

Worked for the company for a year, stacking shelves etc.

Enjoyed the job at first and then realised why everyone hated their work life! The "lowest" staff do all the hard back breaking work, management just wander around on phones chatting rubbish or sat on their behind in the canteen doing nothing!!
Then have the audacity to speak to the grafters like rubbish!

No room for progression unless you are a "favourite"

Pointless breaks such as a hour and half for working 9+ hour shift...

Don't have the correct tools to do the job properly and safely. No recognition for hard work. Lazy and useless staff get thanked and not told or trained how to do stuff right.

Expected to work yourself to death or ill for the good of the company...

Only pro is I met some life long friends from the job
Pros
Met life long friends
Cons
Rubbish hours/breaks, terrible management, no recognition, no progression
Fun place to work
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim12 June 2018
There was plenty of work benefits and lots of people to enjoy working with however training was slightly rushed and not very inn depth meaning a lot of the skills I gained where picked up while on the job
Great colleagues
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff23 June 2018
I loved working with Tesco being in a team was great and the company was also good as I learnt so much, salary, pension and holidays were good too, it was unfortunately I was made redundant.
Great workplace and supportive staff
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Craigavon, County Armagh8 July 2018
I have worked in store since 2017. The staff at most grades are friendly and supportive. As in many large organisations some of the middle management have poor people skills and have forgotten their key responsibilities towards their staff.
Shift patterns are good and great flexibility with job roles and the amount of overtime available. Great place for students to gain a lot of life experience and customer service skills which are invaluable for their future careers.
Unfortunately there is a long standing issue with air-conditioning within the store resulting in working conditions at front of store unbearable in hot weather
Pros
Good canteen. Above average pay for grade, supportive colleagues
Cons
Poor air-conditioning and initial training lacks structure
Retail Experience
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Axminster, Devon23 September 2018
Over the last 5 years I've seen the company grow and develop in many aspects which includes: work/life balance, wages, communication between everyone.

Management with in Tesco has a lot of positives as their is an open line of communication between Customer Assistant and Management.

Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people every single day and putting a smile on there faces.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Flexibility
Productive and busy
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent18 May 2018
Very vibrant and busy store located in Ashford, always a job to do and inspired to do more. Tesco have a wonderful benefits package, with a 10% discount, and fair rate of pay.
Pros
Good benefits package
Cons
Difficult to work your way up
Did not enjoy working at this company
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex28 March 2018
Very hard company to work for. Some people have a great experience others don't. Muck your hours around and pay, and don't appreciate you. You're just a number. There are no benefits to working with the company, and its hard labour for pennies.
Pros
clock in and clock out pay roll, free food
Cons
unfair hours, delay in pay, not appreciated
It was a a brilliant company to work for with lots of benefits.
Customer Service Assistant/stock controller (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire30 April 2018
A typical day at work was very busy and sometimes demanding both mentally and physically. I learned excellent customer service In the process and being able to count stock properly in the process. Management were very easy to get along with and I genuinely enjoyed working under them. Hardest part of the job was when a big delivery came in and you had to replenish the shelves whilst going back and forward to serve because it can get extremely busy. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers and helping them with any of there queries or carrying shopping to there car.
Pros
Discounts and being able to progress through the company.
Cons
It can be long hours but mainly the repetitiveness of the job can become quite draining.
Tesco Store Baldock
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baldock18 June 2018
I worked there as my first job and tried to gain as many skills in the work place as I could, however the management culture was abysmal and they did everything they could to blame their failings on their staff and halt your advancement, often in favour oh hiring their own friends of transferring colleagues from other stores. Tesco Baldock ate up 7 years of my life that I will never get back
Pros
Cons
Working there
A good company to work for.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea14 October 2018
Tesco is a company with high-performance standards for its employees to follow. It was my first job and one that I learnt a lot about developing quality customer service. Management is approachable and tries their best to make sure you've looked after. I've met a lot of friends that work at Tesco and have enjoyed my time working here. The downsides are that the working hours can be unsociable and it can be a stressful job in the winter months with high expectations for staff to deliver.
Pros
Friendly staff, good pay
Cons
Unsociable hours, can be stressful at times
Not impressed
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall5 October 2018
Not impressed with this company, they employ a lot on temporary contracts with the promise of a permanent contract just to then let you go.
Poor hourly pay compared to other supermarkets such as Morrison’s, Sainsburys, Lidl etc. I worked at 2 different stores 3 times on temp contracts with promises of permanent positions that never happened. Shameful company, no prospects for development a company full of empty promises and lies, management are a waste of space.
Pros
Cons
Lies from start to finish, poor HR
Fun, great people, new college plan is awful.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llandudno Junction8 August 2018
From going from 60 hour weeks right down to 15 hour weeks without reasoning, and then struggling to get overtime to help with bills/holidays. Tesco's new college plan of sticking new starters on 'flexi' contracts that range from a minimum of 10 hours or a maximum of 15 hour contracts, is awful. False promises for more contracted hours, poor management, they seem to only care for themselves and not their staff.
Pros
10% Off, friendly colleges
Cons
Inconsistent Hours, Poor Management, Managers only care about other managers.
fun and interesting place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
Meeting my regular pleasant customers, i learnt how to give excellent customer service. Manage was ok at times but could be better. Every little helps is our culture at Tesco. Always offer cutomers help and team work is always at the heart of whatever we do. The hardset part of the job was things changing all the time as mangers come and go they have their own ways of doing things which could be confusing at times. The most enjoyable part of my work was interacting with my colleagues and customers. seeing the smiles on their faces after being served and told thank you all the time.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
no free lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.6K