Tesco Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Found 2,153 reviews matching the search See all 12,805 reviews
fun place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton23 January 2019
I like working at Tesco's my boss is fair and helpful I enjoy helping customers and making there day a better one which in turn helps Tesco's and makes my boss happy
judgmental and hard
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Penicuik22 January 2019
Don't get me wrong, not everything is bad about Tesco, I have met some really nice people that make work bearable. However, I have felt that many people will not include you especially if you are not from the area or do not have family in the store. Also a lot of people especially managers can be very hard going towards illnesses which you still try and work with but as soon as they catch a cold it is "feel sorry for me while I am off". I was in the doctors a couple times a week trying to figure out what was wrong with me, which turned out to be a severe problem with my stomach which affected my back, and I was still expected to be in work (despite vomiting a lot) and work pulling cages and lifting heavy boxes with a bad back and stomach. They put so much pressure on you that you literally breakdown in tears (I have multiple times and ended up getting diagnosed with depression). I wouldn't work for Tesco again.
Pros
some nice people to work with
Cons
no kettle, no warm meals working evenings (unless you buy a ready meal from the shop or bring your own), outsiders are made to feel excluded, no help or support for those who are sick and still try to work
like working here
Tesco Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London22 January 2019
great company to work for look after their staff and there are many chances to improve your career . the rate of pay could be higher for the about of work you have to do
Energetic workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunderland21 January 2019
Working in a fast paced energetic environment with others on my department made my job fun and less stressful on a day-to-day basis. Customers was the hardest part of the job with the irrational and pathetic behaviour when an item wasn't in stock - which will be the same in all retail jobs.
Pros
Discount, loads of perks - free eye tests, colleague shop food
Short term contract...
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire21 January 2019
Worked at Tesco as a customer assistant. Enjoyed my time and gaining experience on the tills and shelf stacking. I also picked up great communication skills when liaising with customers. I worked mainly on weekends during busy periods and a few days during the week.
not good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport21 January 2019
Managers were elitist and there’s definitely a strong gossip/ nasty culture amongst staff. The pay isn’t great, Rotas we’re always late. In the months I worked there I was never given my training on food hygiene despite working on a deli. Colleagues reporting bullying and were told to “grow up” all in all not a good place to work and no real progression aside from more overtime on dotcom.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Bad place to work
Poor
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  March17 January 2019
Loved it at the start but things went down hill due to management and the systems changing. Also I had another new job lined up which I ended up leaving.
productive work place
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk16 January 2019
Friendly personality and able to engage customers.
A strong work ethic and desire to succeed.
Smart presentable appearance.
Possess a polite and helpful manner.
Confident communication skills.
Willing to learn.
Positive attitude.
Confident and articulate.
Persuasive and having good influencing skills
Pros
the privilege tesco card
Cons
late hours
Didn't like this very much
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Ramsey16 January 2019
Started in the warehouse and within the first few months the deputy manager was cited for being confrontational to an member of staff to which the General manager had to intervene and pull the deputy to the side. This was not an good atmosphere and lowered moral for the rest of the staff as it was seemingly instigated because an known member of staff always wanted her was and would not be honest when advising of her colleagues support.
Pros
The deputy at the time
Cons
Pride of Britian 1st eco store with 0 carbon footprint
Enjoyable but lacking structure.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Witney, Oxfordshire15 January 2019
My Tesco store is an enjoyable place to work, very flexible working hours and a good varied team to work with. However the store lacks discipline and structure, often being too casual. This does cause inefficiency and problems running the store effectively.
Pros
Great place to work, good benefits, career progression
Cons
Rate of pay, ineffective management
Good work place
Customer Assistant Fresh Foods (Former Employee) –  Market weighton14 January 2019
Very good work place they were happy to move to around departments if they needed help and I wanted the overtime. Trained me on other departments so my skills grew
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not full time
Place with lots to offer, friendly and fun
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh11 January 2019
I have been given many opportunities about my carrier, in a friendly environment, the staff very helpful and family like - trust, help, on the top with all duties. They showed me that each time we can try do things better and more efficiently. Great place to work and to shop.
Great workplace for students
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chineham10 January 2019
Relaxed and friendly environment. With management always helping you where they can, especially being flexible with hours as i am currently studying at university.
Horrible place.
Tesco Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solihull9 January 2019
Rubbish place to work. They were hired too many staff then had to get rid of some and made up lies and excuses.

They accused me of theft, with no evidence and fired me. Although I am still allowed to shop at the same store. Policy states that thief's are banned from being allowed in the store.

I hated the job the entire time I was there. It was unfair. You are massively underpaid for everything you have to put up with. Including your boss wanting to sleep with you.

I despise Tesco these days.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Fun and friendly working environment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield8 January 2019
Always enjoyable to work with friendly colleagues and managers. Nice new challengers everyday and always nice to work with customers. Managers are always willing to help and can always offer alterations if needed time off etc.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Repetitive jobs
Not enjoyable
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Luton6 January 2019
The work itself is not difficult, but what makes it difficult is the biased attitude in the workplace, management should lead by example, but seeing as they are managers, they can get away with whatever they want. If they catch a glimpse of you talking to a colleague for a moment or so, there is a condescending talk down to you. They do not know how to talk to their staff, they will swear when they feel they need to which in my opinion is poor management, if you do not know how to talk to your employees, then you should not have been given the role you have. We are more than just an employee number... at the end of the shift, we are on the same level.
Fun Workplace
Customer Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Crediton3 January 2019
Working at Tesco was a fun place to work, you meet a lot of people doing the job.
Learnt more about dealing with customers.
most enjoyable part of the job was your colleagues
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
sometimes heavy lifting
Very good company
Customer Assistant - Phone Shop (Current Employee) –  Phone Shop3 January 2019
Overall a very good company to work for, each department is different with a different challenge but very welcoming to everyone along with appropriate training provided.
Just awful
Customer Assistant - Nights (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth3 January 2019
I'm not going to get into it, but this place is terrible to work at, staff are unorganised and have a bully type of nature. I don't even shop there anymore.
All round great place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 January 2019
I have now worked in a couple of Tesco store and I can say that as long as your willing to work hard you will be noticed and you will benefit from it. Showing that I was committed to my role gave me more opportunity for overtime as I could fill in for roles other than my own. During my time spent at Tesco I have learnt important communication skills, time management skills and how to work well in both a large and a small team. No matter the size of the team it always felt welcoming and after time you got to know everyone.
Pros
Good work environment, good pay, good hours.
Cons
Sometimes customer mistreat you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.6K