Tesco Employee Reviews for Assistant

How Not To Run A Business.
Price Integrity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff11 January 2018
Used to be a great company to work for, but due to mismanagement from top to bottom and repeatedly making the same mistakes, to which the staff have to pay for in wage cuts & redundancies, one to avoid.
Everyone at store level is under so much pressure to achieve more with less, whilst trying to comply with an ever increasing amount of external interference from people with no in store knowledge, making store atmosphere a toxic one for all staff.
Pros
You'll meet some great people.
Cons
No Job security at any level except maybe boardroom.
Temp xmas job
Checkout assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire11 January 2018
I worked in a Nottm store part time temp on checkouts over xmas. Job was ok most of staff friendly. I was ill over xmas had time off. Wasn't taken on because of being ill. So unfair to punish people for being ill we're humans not robots. Wouldn't want to work for Tesco again. Treat your staff Better!
Pros
Decent working conditions
Cons
Unfair to punish staff for illness
My Job Role
Part Time Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester10 January 2018
On a daily basis I ensure that I present myself as I am representing the company. I have learn't various skills within working in a fast- paced environment. I have gained managerial skills which I did not have when I first started at Tesco PLC as a Checkout Customer Assistant. A typical day at work would be attending daily tasks such as staff management, cash handling, administrative work and providing customers with excellent customer service which we thrive to achieve. The most enjoyable part of my job would be meeting new people.
Pros
Staff Discounts
Cons
Not that I know of
Lovely company to work for
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saffron Walden9 January 2018
Lovely company to work for.
Great benefits
Lovely staff
Totally look after you
Lots of incentives even had Christmas off!
Great pay rates no matter what age!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Only part time
ok
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pitsea8 January 2018
it was a good way to get money for uni
typical day at work: long
what you lwarned:customer service
management: gossips
workplace culture: ok
hardest part of the job: the customers
most enjoyable: christmas time, loads of events and dressing up
Pros
free coffee
Cons
the customers
happy work environment
fresh assistant (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire29 December 2017
Work at tesco is great, the staff and management are lovely and very understanding, have had a lot of fun working for tesco, the only thing id change is the time of day i start work.
Nasty Management
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire17 December 2017
From the very moment you start, they throw you into the deep end without any training. I had been working there for a year before I had any training. However, the job itself is pretty decent. Colleagues are colourful, good pay, union availability, colleague discount, exclusive offers, nearly always get a break and it doesn't require much prior experience.

Though beware of the management, while some of the managers are angels the others are absolute monsters that wouldn't blink an eye at throwing someone under. They're the kind of employers that make pregnant women work, students skip out on course work, people straight from surgery work and even grieving people from loss of immediate family work (despite giving notice and entitled to annual leave). All while saying they're being compassionate and understand.

While working here I've seen even the strongest of characters be reduced to tears by their harsh words. Worst part is, they get away with whatever they want. But that is the worst of it. If you're a good and hard worker that keeps their head down, then you haven't much to worry about.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Bad management
Tesci
Checkouts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honiton11 December 2017
Good company to work for, if have an issue they will help, good company prospects. Good company benefits and they have a flexible working relationship.
Fun work palace and Fantastic Team work.
Café Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheerness5 December 2017
Slow morning and get's busy as the days goes on,I have learned that each day is different, the management is good and help you when you are struggling,the work place culture is fantastic everybody gets along, the hardest part of the job is even the customers are wrong you still gotta let them know they are right,the most enjoyable part of my job is talking to the customers and making hem smile to make there day.
Pros
free drinks, lunch. Make customers happy.
Cons
long hours, slow morning, slow afternoons past a certain time
Repetitive
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenhill4 December 2017
I enjoyed working here until the change of management.The bonuses only came through if working after a year, and I believe it should be available for anyone that works hard. The salary was the same if you were slacking or worked hard, while sometimes I worked harder than others we were paid the same. I didn't like the fact that there weren't any OTE.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Management not so good
Fun and inclusive ethos
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire2 December 2017
i spent my work experience here and overall although the work was demanding i had a good time. Working at the company sometimes felt mundane and repetative.
Pros
Free coffe
Cons
Laborious tasks
Excellent
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 December 2017
I found working with Tesco an amazing experience and it helped me grow as a person and I was treated like a team member instead of just another employee the hours were great and so was the pay.
Pros
free food drinks
Cons
none I can think of
Friendly and great workplace
Price Integrity Assistant (Current Employee) –  Egglescliffe26 November 2017
Tesco is full of friendly people willing to go out their way to help you. You can always guarantee more shifts if they are wanted. It sets you up for life with benefits including a great pension and tailors its work around you. For example university students can have a contract working around there studies
Good
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shaftesbury, Dorset22 November 2017
Good excellent. Grate benefits. Lovely people and a nice atmosphere to work in. Flexible hours which is good and they are very flexible when needing to adjust hours.
Productive and friendly environment
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towcester, Northamptonshire22 November 2017
Members of staff were very supportive and friendly, allowed me to develop new skills. Training was well done and allowed me to feel more confident in my job.
good job
Car parking Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thetford18 November 2017
I really like working for Tesco again I am really relible and hard working I can work with others and on my own I am willing I can work under pleasure I do what I'm told
Price Integrity Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear13 November 2017
Great place to work. Good pay and great benefits. Friendly staff. Friendly company to work for.overall a really good place to work. A fulfilling and meaningful job .
A lot to do when there, many skills learnt
Clothing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield9 November 2017
Work Experience: - Tesco clothing department [1 week, July 2015] during my time
there I helped out by putting away and ordering clothes on the shop floor, I also helped deal with customers and sorted out the changing rooms.
Pros
New skills learnt
Cons
Only there for a week
Great
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire30 October 2017
I have been at Tesco for a few months and they leave you to it. I have managers rather than supervisors which is better. Work early mornings so sometimes we just left to do the jobs we are expected to do. You are actually treated like a decent human being and an adult. Only probably be disciplined if you were rude to customers and slacking.

Good pay for unsocial hours too. Extra for work before 6am and Sunday supplement.
Pros
Great feeling of being treated like a human
Cons
Tired as work early
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banbury, Oxfordshire26 October 2017
I worked at Tesco for 5 years.

I did number of Job from night work in filling the shelves to moving to Checkout Assistant.

I learned to work with others in a Team.

Also, serving Customer was very rewarding.
Pros
Interacting with customers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.