Tesco Employee Reviews in London

Found 554 reviews matching the search See all 12,633 reviews
Low pay, under appreciated
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London4 December 2018
Repititive job which pays low and mistreats its staff members. You will find good managers but they are few and far between. Only benefit is 10 percent discount which goes up to 20 percent for 1 week only around once or twice a year. Progression to management is not a common theme. Known staff members to be on what is called an options programme for many years without progressing. Only offer low hour contracts
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Pay, no long term contracts, under appreciated, low chance of progression, lack of benefits
workplce
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 November 2018
is a good place to work i just lert becues i like to do something else and the mengement is good helpfull .and i learned how to work wit team.i really enjoy
Cons
Fun culture with great hours
Customer Assistant / Customer (Former Employee) –  London18 November 2018
I was trained very well and never left to tasks I didn't know how to do on my own. The management and staff were friendly and understanding. There were always extra shifts available and the uniform was comfortable
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
didn't see progression
Not good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 November 2018
It's not really a good place to work. There is no life-work balance, and you don't have time to breathe. As a student, I was promised flexible hours, but as it turns out, the flexibility only works in favor of the company. And of the management, as the managers do get time off whenever they need it. In order to be able to actually attend lectures and go to my exams I had to change my job.
Overtime is forced on you. You never get asked if you want it or not. You get dragged from one department to another, and you're expected to be in five places at a time, completing five different tasks at the same time. After working 7-8 or 9 days in a row, you are told you're not allowed to be tired. You can't be late, but you have to stay until you finish the job, even if you're not paid.
The colleagues are nice, kind people. The management doesn't care about the staff. They will not help, no matter how busy or understaffed the store is.
My advice: don't work at Tesco's. At least if you also want to have a life. If work is all you want, from 9 hours up, 7 days per week, than it might just be the place for you.
Pros
Nice, kind colleagues
Cons
Not allowed to have a life outside Tesco
Unreliable hours from week to week, rushed off your feet.
Customer Assistant - Part Time (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 November 2018
Constantly rushed off your feet on self serve/SAYS with no help from team support because theyre too busy helping their checkout staff a lot of the time ,hours all over one week you might get full time hours the next don’t bet on it you’ll probably get your contract of 7.5 hours, so don’t think of getting a mortgage whilst working for this company. We have lovely managers but shame they’re made to follow the procedures they do and penalise staff for the fault of customers walking off and not paying on SS. Stressful, awful job over all!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours, social life
Very reliable job and was easy to get into
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London13 November 2018
This job was very consistent and had very good hours which made sense for me. There were multiple employees who were willing to help and teach others about the job.
Pros
Nice lunch room
Cons
No lunch break
just another supermarket
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2018
There is not much to write home about. If need a job to pay the bills, you get a job here put in the hours and hope for the best. You can't survive on tesco wages in London. For young people not a bad place to start from and gain experience. Limited growth opportunities, nepotism plays a big hand in advancing and securing higher level role.
Pros
something is better than nothing
Cons
no inspiration and motivation
has the potential to be a great place to work
Delivery driver/Acting team leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 October 2018
Tesco has the potential to be a great place to work. when I first started I was happy and couldn't do enough overtime. could be more organised more ownership and better management.
Pros
can be disorganised
Cons
you get to meet people
team work,fun
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  london17 October 2018
Working with Tesco was fun and have learned a lot. Receiving delivery and putting them into shelves. Learned about good customer service and time management.
I would make sure every stuff is happy and ready uo meet all the challenges t work smale amd talk to customers as well as asking if they needed any h
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London dagenham13 October 2018
Biggining of summer and a hot day it was most stuff call sick and i have to deal with a situation where i had no enogh stuff. I had to deal with difficult drunk customers. Sometimes its not easy to control them when they are drunk but you just have to deal with it
Pros
There was no free lunch since it was an express store
Cons
I have worked so many long hour and i enjoy that
good set of drivers
Customer Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  London11 October 2018
a typical day you hand in your clock card and wait to be allocated your van your van trip receipts and PDA device.
ive learned and gained a lot of experience of dealing with various types of customers and delivering various locations i.e. homes offices businesses schools etc.
some of the Management tend to act like they are not part of the team. there are too many divisions within the company bearing in mind we are supposed to be working to one common goal.
The drivers and loaders are a ace set of workers made many friends within these two sectors. great sense of togetherness and over standing. the hardest part of the job id say is delivering of multiple amounts of 2 litres x 6 packs of water to flats with no lifts.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the as i stated before is the togetherness of the loaders and drivers.
Pros
good set of drivers
Cons
poor pay for expected duties
Very good company to work for
Personal Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2018
Company always ensures that there staff are well looked after and was fortunate enough to have a career with Tesco.

In my last role before I was made redundant I found it very rewarding as it was all about supporting people and staff through great training and delivering great customer services too.
Pros
10% staff discount
Cons
Lenght of your day sometimes
work experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London8 October 2018
Worked hard for work experience staff helped if you was stuck . Learnt to tidy up shop floor . To greet customers . Respect others. Stacking shelves.
Pros
free lunches
Poor Company - Dont look after their staff
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 October 2018
Tescos has gone down hill so much. They are cutting back so much on everything. You are expected to stay on regularly and never get to take the time back. They have cut all bonus's, and the payrise's are nothing short of embarrassing.
Pensions have been cut. The opportunity to progress has been cut with the structure changes they have done. It no longer means they are aligned correctly. Do not work for them unless you have to.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Expectations
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London2 October 2018
I absolutely love my job and find it very fun to wake up to go to work even if its early shifts. This is because of the lovely and friendly staff always say hello and and very kind and generous people. I love all my work colleagues and because of the friendly staff it makes it the best place to work. The culture of the workplace is very good and relaxing.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
fun and interesting place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
Meeting my regular pleasant customers, i learnt how to give excellent customer service. Manage was ok at times but could be better. Every little helps is our culture at Tesco. Always offer cutomers help and team work is always at the heart of whatever we do. The hardset part of the job was things changing all the time as mangers come and go they have their own ways of doing things which could be confusing at times. The most enjoyable part of my work was interacting with my colleagues and customers. seeing the smiles on their faces after being served and told thank you all the time.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
no free lunches
I have to say I had my best working times at tesco
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2018
At the time for tesco, I have to say it was very much fun working for the company, people were warm and nice people and most of my customer service skills were learnt from working for tesco.
Pros
Subsidised lunch, fun place to work
Cons
cant think of none
Challenging and rewarding
Head of Strategic Partnerships - Asia (Current Employee) –  London and Thailand26 September 2018
Evolving culture and environment due to numerous reorganisations can make Tesco a challenging business to work with but also creates opportunities. Would recommend as a good place to work both in the UK and Internationally.
Great training
Customer Services/Security Manager (Former Employee) –  London22 September 2018
The training for management was very good. Pay was reasonable and expectations were clear and constantly tracked. all in all a great company to work for.
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Clifton Road Tesco Express London22 September 2018
Every day I have to run the business, Also dealt with customers. The hardest part of the job was very long hours as well as weekends and bank holidays work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.6K