Tesco Employee Reviews in Glasgow

going down hill
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow15 April 2018
When I first joined Tesco 7 years ago they were a good company to work for, but now the wages are low and the workload is heavy, lots of redundancies being made at all levels.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
too many to mention
management
Stock control team member (Current Employee) –  Glasgow3 April 2018
management have a lot to be desired. but a safe reliable job and the benefits are good for staff also are very accommodating when it comes to working family life.
Great atmosphere and variety.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow15 February 2018
The 24 hour nature of larger supermarkets has led to unsociable hours becoming the norm. Overall, the atmosphere and variety of different tasks kept things fresh and there was great scope for progression assuming you were willing to potentially relocate.
student job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow7 February 2018
Good to work for as a student as they were flexible with shift patterns to suit university. Helped me grow in confidence and introduce me to a structured working environment.
no moral
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 January 2018
There is no moral, little chance to progress. management talk to staff in a disrespectful manor. sad place to work. ive been shouted at, belittled, threatened with disciplinary if i dont work at short notice.
Pros
dicount
Cons
feel like you dont matter
Fast paced work place.
Grocery Assistant (Current Employee) –  knightswood glasgow19 January 2018
During my shifts at this particular place of employment I am always kept busy. Very rarely is it a slow day. Day to day deliveries arrive and the levels of stock we receive keep us busy through the entirety of our shifts. I must stress however the workload is manageable and targets are achievable which is rewarding for working so hard throughout the shift. The hardest part of my job is the occasions when deliveries cannot be completed. This situation arises rarely, for example Christmas stock was a little trickier than a normal every day delivery as the stock levels where so high. The most enjoyable part of my shift is helping customers, as so many are very appreciative of the help we provide. I have over 10 years retail experience and without a doubt the management team in place in this store are fantastic. They are so helpful and approachable with anything you may need. They are so flexible and accommodating to everyone, in my experience they are the most supportive management I personally have ever worked with. In my time here I have gained further knowledge and experience in retail and customer service.
Pros
10% Staff dicount as well as staff vouchers
Cons
Night shifts.
Biggest retailer
Fresh Foods Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow15 January 2018
As with Sainsburys, very good operation, highly process driven and customer focussed. Too many management layers (at that time anyway) which i believe affected communication/ efficiency at times.
Poor management
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow12 January 2018
They are terrible mangment team are never around they are rude! They don't give you many hours worked always smelt of fish so if you love fish then perfect for you
Pros
There are no
Cons
Long hours, shocking pay and always dirty
Safety
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow22 November 2017
I worked in a tesco express and the freezer was overload it was a dangerous place to work and they didn't care expected you to do every department in the shop although you weren't fully trained on it
Pros
Cons
Every thing
What a place to work
Customer Sales Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 November 2017
Great managers, great customers, repeated and friendly, learned the value of communicating and establishing a friendly background with customers. Colleagues are amazing and helpful. Hardest part of the job is adhering to age limit policies with offensive customers at times. The most enjoyable part of the job are the customer that are not offensive but humorous...!
Pros
Friendly management
fun and new people
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 October 2017
I like working with new people and finding how stuff worked it really good to work at and help customers and take them to the stuff is and be friendly
Cons
9 to 3
You're just a number
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 October 2017
Tesco do not treat their people with respect. You are just a number when it comes down to it. You can work 80 hours a week and do as much as you physically can but it still isn't appreciated.
Workplace
Dotcom Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow9 October 2017
Tesco is not the company that i started with all those years ago.
Their policies have totally changed, and they have become a company that no one likes working for today.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor Senior management
Don't fall for the facade.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow27 September 2017
I was really looking forward to working at Tesco's, but it was the worst experience of my life. While being interviewed, the interviewer was lovely and chatty and it went smoothly. I was offered the job around 20 minutes later, which I accepted - but was expected to start immediately, which I could not do. I had no shop experience, which I told my new colleagues on the day of starting, and I was passed from person to person because no one wanted the responsibility of helping me. I was left at the checkouts and to monitor the self-service checkouts by myself, while around 5 other staff were in the back room smoking/having a cup of tea.

I left after 5ish hours, as I had had enough of being totally ignored. Unsurprisingly, no one seemed to notice until I was nearly out the door, until the manager came over to ask when my next shift was. I told her I was unsure if this was the job for me, and they then tried to blame the other manager/staff for me not wanting to return. It seemed such a two-faced place, and at that, I learned nothing at the Tesco training day. I thought Tesco would be an amazing employer, but it was literally just a lie. I don't know if it was just that one Express, but I felt like I was bullied from that place after only a short period of time. I glad I learned sooner rather than later.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Overworked due to poor staffing level
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 August 2017
The work was arduous and at times heavy going, the customers and liasing with them was the highlight of the working day.
Staffing levels were not consistent or adequate this was a management failure
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Heavy work
team manager training at tesco
Night Manager Replenishment (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow15 August 2017
The process took 3 months longer as i was held in my original store due to a manager leaving the company. during this time i was not paid a managers salary and after 3 months i still had to go on a placement to another store. when i was told this would not be the case. i enjoyed leading my team and working with staff and customers, but did not feel valued by the larger company, in fact i felt like a resource rather than a person. as i result i am now looking for employment in a small less corporate environment,
Pros
Management Training
Cons
was not paid managers wage while given all responsiblities
managable
Bakery Assistant (Current Employee) –  glasgow15 August 2017
In my store there arn't to many typical days seems like the big issue is tesco is rubbish. Most of the managers are leaving so I reckon it's time to jump ship.
fun work colleagues
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow8 August 2017
Typical day is a 9 and half hour shift
3x 30mins breaks
on a checkout dealing with customers helping them with packing etc. Colleagues are fun and helpful.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
not flexible with trying to change days contracted shifts
terrible
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, UK30 July 2017
The worst most stressful employer I have ever had the expectation and the way that the senior spoke to the staff was terrible and completely unacceptable , my only piece of advice I would give anyone is DO NOT work for Tesco as a Manager
Pros
discount
Cons
long and stressful hours
tesco
Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow25 July 2017
good company however no longer job security. In order to protect the business longer term there is no job for life. Good place for part time work and will give many people a chance to get back into employment but not on a lot of hours
Pros
collegues
Cons
security of job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K