Tesco Employee Reviews in Birmingham

A Fun but Fair workplace
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 September 2018
A Decent place to start off your so-called working career. The job itself wasn't difficult but it doesn't mean you can slack off. Very quickly you learn skills which can help you when it comes to development such as giving Customer service, time management and using your own creativity. You learn what makes a shop look presentable and how to work as a team in order to meet a target set by managers.
The Management (in my experience) changed quite a bit when it comes to how they want you to deliver targets. Routines could swap then swap back around which can be frustrating to workers as they are going back and forth when working. However this can help people learn on how to go about doing jobs in different ways which can be really helpful when your under a time frame to get your job done. Time was a very important factor when working on the shop floor, but its a very important factor whatever area you work. For me making sure things where done correctly wasn't an issue, it would be doing in a time frame given by managers which was the harder part. This is because other factors would halt your progress, such as customers asking questions, accidents or spillages on the shop floor, tipping a delivery which has turned up etc. All these factors make the job a challenge but a fun experience. Everyday is something different, no day is exactly the same. Yes you might be working the same stock each day but outcomes can change. Another thing I enjoyed was working as a team, not only for the social side but the experience can help you for later life as most jobs want you to work well together
  more... as a team.
I did come across a few issues with the company, one major one for me was there was no real chance of any development. The company was very much set with who they had in each department. I tried to go up the 'ladder' as i was told i could by my manager but i was brushed aside and wasn't even given feedback to why. Its quite frustrating because my manager had told me to and then the higher up management just ignored me even though you could be getting praised.
Pros
fun job
Cons
lack of development and chances
Great progressive company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 September 2018
Enjoyed working for a Tesco as it had a great vision and put customers and the forefront of everything we did. There is a great culture to promote within and great opportunities to get on.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Not listened to at times.
Bad management
Shift Leader/Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 July 2018
It’s not alway s what you know but who you know. These people don’t care about colleagues or customers they just want promotions. Don’t work for these twits
Fun workplace
Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 July 2018
Very Good place to work, Very well structured and fantastic work environment. People are great and fun to work with. there is never a dull day at work
Pros
staff Discounts, vouchers, etc
Cons
Intense sometimes
productive and pays for bills
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 July 2018
The jobs is hands on and can at times become extremely difficult to do. the pay is average and future prospects are not easy to come across. Management is different from store to store. You may find nice managers and other times not so nice, who can make it unfriendly to work for.
Fun
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 June 2018
I just like to say that Tesco's is a very good place to work and the people you work with are amazing and you get along with all the managers but there are a few issues like communication is pretty poor but other than that it's a really good place to work and a lot of fun and you get to meet amazing people and make friends.
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
very good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 May 2018
great employer but not the best that there is out there other supermarkets are much better and have better pay and are much more health and safety conscious
Pros
wage
Cons
hours
Enjoy working with customers
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 May 2018
Whilst I enjoy working for Tesco, I have been there for many years and would like to explore other fields as I feel it is simply time to move on and become more experienced.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Would like more hours but current employer is unable to offer
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Assistant, Tesco (Former Employee) –  Birmingham22 April 2018
i loved everything about m role at TESCO. My team is amazing, they were caring, friendly and professional. I loved every minute i worked in TESCO. the breaks were appropriate.
Chilled and friendly
Tesco Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 March 2018
The management at yes is was really good, they knew what they were doing and always prepared. My days at work were easy days, we all help one another to get jobs done and we're all friendly. I learned how to interact with people in confidence. The hardest part of the job was pulling the big crates to stock shelves before the store opened or was opening. However the best part of the job was when we all got involved with the customers and had a laugh and joke because not only we went home happy the customers did and you would always see the same faces.
Pros
A lot of overtime
Cons
If ou are on till you cannot help anyone off till if there isn't any customers.
Fast paced environment
Night Shift Supervisor/Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 February 2018
Receiving and working deliveries, Leading and advising staff on prioritising workload. Setting up promotional mods and changing legal labels. Working to ensure the shop floor is at the highest possible standard for customers.
A flexible job
Fresh Food Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 January 2018
The job allowed me to manage my social and academic life. The staff are friendly and professional however the availability of more working hours was poor. the managers also had several attitude problems.
First Job
Sales Assistant and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 January 2018
With Tesco being my first ever job, I definitely learnt some valuable life lessons which have helped me within not only my work but personal life too. My confidence has built up even more so, and I have had the opportunity to work with a many individuals, varying from different ethnic backgrounds and age groups etc, which put a lot of things into perspective for myself.

Working in Tesco, I had been given the chance to progress, which ultimately tested me in many ways which I had taken on head strong.
I was able to work efficiently with tasks given to me as my working relationships were never biased, and it was a friendly atmosphere, where myself being sociable was able to get along with anyone. Regardless whether they were on my department or not.
Pros
Opportunity to progress
Cons
Hours were not always consistent
fun place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 December 2017
it a great place to work when busy but boring when quiet.
i have become more confident when speaking to customers because of working here. management are okay. great overall place to work
Pros
working with great people
Productive and fun work
Sales (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 December 2017
I m a good person i take my job seriosly i m verry responsible for what i do i don t have any problems with nowbody they are very satisface with me and i like to work there
Pros
Free lunches
Excellent
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 December 2017
I found working with Tesco an amazing experience and it helped me grow as a person and I was treated like a team member instead of just another employee the hours were great and so was the pay.
Pros
free food drinks
Cons
none I can think of
Friendly work environment
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 November 2017
I enjoyed my years at Tesco as the staff and customers were very friendly. This position kept me fit as i was constantly lifting and stocking. I also gained a lot of experience on how to deal with all types of customers and cash handling.
Pros
Positive surroundings and good benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Location
Part time- (Permanent) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 September 2017
Friendly staffs and management; but lack individual growth within the company for new opportunities, but we do have a great team and colleagues. Certain departments are being outsourced to other companies for cost saving which has caused anxiety amongst colleagues.
Pros
Cons
Lack of new opportunities
Positive experience
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 September 2017
I loved working for Tesco. I worked on both shop floor and tills/customer service desk. You get to meet a lot of people including regular customers as part of your job. You get to know about new products and promotions and there is good oppourtunities to break into management for younger people. The easiest and hardest part of the job is the type of customer you get, it makes a big difference to what your day is like. The reason I left is because I couldnt get a full time position and couldn't afford to be on part time wages otherwise I would have stayed there
Pros
Sociable job
Cons
Difficult to get a full time position in the store I was at
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Birmingham28 August 2017
Learned new skills due to customer assistant. The workplace culture is comforting. A typical day of work is to follow orders of your team leaders or your Manger. Also other Managers could also ask for your help.
Pros
Kind Staff
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.5K