Tesco Employee Reviews

Found 10,575 reviews matching the search See all 12,636 reviews
Not what you expect
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Widnes, Cheshire12 December 2018
Recruited through pmp - I was told to go for an induction at 7am. When I arrived it was the first day of training. I explained to the trainer that I'm meant to be having an induction etc. He asked if anyone in the office knew who I was. My answer was no. Obviously security not very good or organisation. Because of no induction I was placed in a foreign speaking training group. I enjoyed the weeks training however but once you start on your own, your left to fend for yourself. And because your wearing a pink high vis, this gives everyone else the excuse to speak down to you. Bearing in mind if you don't hit your performance targets within probation time which varies from who is telling you what.. then your gone. As a newbie who only lasted 2 days trying to do my best on my own I left! Whole work ethic is poor unless your not English. And management poor! Went to the office to ask for my payroll number after my shift finished and was told to come back in the morning!
Wouldn't recommend working there if you have a heart and feelings.
Pros
Cheap canteen food
Cons
Dehydration, bruised, blistered, degraded, neglected
good part time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galashiels, Scottish Borders12 December 2018
was a good job to have whilst and paid well but sometimes it was very very very hard to get a shift changed that you really needed off or supervisors would have favourites
Pros
good pay
Cons
set shifts hard to swap
High level of customer service
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Litherland12 December 2018
Good place to work as a team, very high level of customer service must be delivered every shift as customers look to you as a guide for products and pricing, being a team member is the most rewarding part of job with lots of opportunities to get on
Pros
Being a team member
Cons
Some times can be very stressful
Excellent Experience
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, UK12 December 2018
Worked a two week experience placement coordinated by Shaw Trust. Learning about customer relations and service while conducting stock inventory and management.

Very supportive management and senior colleagues. An enjoyable experience.
A good experience
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire11 December 2018
Working as a customer assistant involved stacking shelves and serving customers on the tills.

Learned how to speak to people firstly, and learnt a few new skills about the systems.

Management was great - firm but fair. Very lenient, and fun to work with.

Workplace culture was great

The hardest part of the job was having to bite my tongue when dealing with difficult customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Rude customers
large company to work for
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian10 December 2018
Overall a good company to work for , however they did let their team down with their redundancy packages. Good average salary for the job types, most stay for a long period of time.
Pros
good benefits such as bank holiday payments
Cons
redundancy and poor comms
fun most of the time
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Middlewich, Cheshire10 December 2018
nice place to be on some shifts, management was good but supervisors just didnt know how to run things and bullied people for fun it seemed, i enjoyed not having to do overtime and still earning more than my manager.
Pros
good canteen
Cons
nasty supervisors
Fun place to be part of
Group People Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bristol9 December 2018
Very family orientated and give you as much variety in a career as you want. I really enjoyed working here but moving back home means the job must change.
great
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland, UK7 December 2018
never had any issues here, left school to work here, great retailer if im honest and being young at the time of having the job i should have really stuck with the employer.
Deli Counter
Hot Food Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ryde7 December 2018
I worked on the hot deli counter, cooking chickens and various meat based products.I did three shifts,Thursday,Friday and Saturday. 2 starting at 1.30 pm -7pm and the Friday shift starting at 7am -13.15pm.
The role was very busy, either cooking , serving customers, recording temperature checks for holding times. You were lft to get on with it, at busy times a couple of the cold deli staff would jump in to help. as ques would build up.
I had to clean up and shut down to finish on time, you had to time this otherwise you could be there late, and not get paid overtime.
Overall the company was ok, didn't really get to know anyone as you where very busy and on your own.
Money was Living wage (try to live on that), the nature of work should have had a higher rate, due the nature of work. Someone re stocking shelves would be on the same money.
Pros
Discounted products for staff
Cons
shift patterns, low wage.
A nice friendly place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Suffolk6 December 2018
Good company to work for
Good rates of pay
Options of overtime available
Lots of added benefits
Supportive management
Working was at times tough due to staff shortages/illness but you get this in all workplaces
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Sadly not the hours I needed
Very poor management
IT Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff6 December 2018
Very poor management and very secretive about things, then want to implement things without proper resources or training. This was of course in the call centre and not the stores.
Pros
Discount
Good workplace
Price Integrity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shropshire6 December 2018
Good workplace, many opportunities to take advantage of once you are working at one of the stores. Supportive management, on site parking, goo staff room and canteen
customer service
Sales Assistant/ Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Harlesden, UK5 December 2018
working with tesco i enjoyed it alot. the pay was amazing plus and the atmosphere was great. the management was good but could of improved a little bit more but overall tesco was my favrouite place to work in
Cons
30 hours
Low pay, under appreciated
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London4 December 2018
Repititive job which pays low and mistreats its staff members. You will find good managers but they are few and far between. Only benefit is 10 percent discount which goes up to 20 percent for 1 week only around once or twice a year. Progression to management is not a common theme. Known staff members to be on what is called an options programme for many years without progressing. Only offer low hour contracts
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Pay, no long term contracts, under appreciated, low chance of progression, lack of benefits
Total chaos
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, UK4 December 2018
The night shift team of tesco are literally work horses. Mostly used and abused to the brim. It is utterly upsetting and moral killing the way management spoke to me and other staff members. Everyone was timed to the second when it came to lunch breaks. I thank the Lord I was working on a temporary basis as this job took its toll on me, not only at work but also home. Being a father it was hard getting time in to play with my kids. Exhausted and tired, it was literally sucking the life out of me.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, harsh policies, aching body, over worked
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dalgety Bay, Fife3 December 2018
Tesco Is a good place to work and are kept busy throughout your shift, given a variety of tasks to do and different departments to work for, also given the opportunity to learn that little bit extra.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
It's great as a starter job.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex3 December 2018
Its a great job if your looking for part time work whilst at college or university but if your wanting to be permanent full time (starting off as a customer assistant) there isn't much opportunity to further your career. They have plenty of opportunities for colleagues to train and develop skills on different departments throughout the store, but wanting to become a manager can take a long time.

The environment around the workplace is generally good, most staff are always friendly and willing to help, others just like to get in and get on with the job at hand. There is always someone you can talk to if you need extra guidance whether its your department manager or personnel manager.

I've learned a lot since joining Tesco, my communication skills have developed over the years and my self confidence has grown a lot too.

Overall I wouldn't say I hate working at Tesco but its just one of those jobs you get to get yourself through college and Uni, just to earn a bit of money whilst building an education towards a career you really want.
Pros
Discount Clubcard for staff
Cons
not a lot of opportunities to further your career
fun
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, UK3 December 2018
a good place to work where you meet different customers everyday. customers feel happy when they received a excellent customer service. i would recoomend it.
A convenient place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset3 December 2018
A good job to fit around personal life, good benefits but could be better for amount of work expected. Budgets have been cut so staff levels are at a minimum which in turn creates more pressure on all staff and causes terrible working environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.6K