Tesco Employee Reviews

great place
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough15 August 2018
Loved working for this company but I was given a hard time by a manager so I left but if had the chance to go back to the Hampton store I would jump at the chance
Customer/Stock Assistant (Current Employee) –  Heanor15 August 2018
Tesco is a great place to work as a students as it offers complete flexbility for students or anyone looking for a little extra money. My role generally consists of filling shelves, helping customers and tidying up the shoip when it closes. There is usually a team meeting in my department at the beginning of the shift. The job is not particularly difficult, however be prepared for heavy lifting.
The main issue is that it is extremely difficult to get full time work, in fact there seems a reluctance to give anyone a full time positiom.
Pros
Flexibility for students
Cons
Difficult to get full time work
Poorly managed with zero chance of advancement and low morale
General Assistant / Nightshift (Current Employee) –  Southport15 August 2018
Tesco used to be a great place to work. Over the last couple of years, it has become less and less somewhere that you would like to work. New staff are quickly dragged to the low morale levels of more experienced staff, and NO-ONE from the top down cares about anything at all, apart from how much money is taken, and how badly the store is missing their DOTCOM targets. Customers in the store do not matter, only DOTCOM.
Pros
Fair pay rates
Cons
Poor management, no vision, no one is bothered.
Awful management & poor general atmosphere on nights
Customer Assistant (Nights) (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex15 August 2018
Worked on the night shift rotation recently, really not worth the extra hassle compared to days. Night management are arrogant, unapproachable, generally rude and unpleasant. If they need you to do something, they bark orders at you but if you need help they aren't interested. Lack of any positive feedback about your work, but happy to stick the boot in without hesitation. Told when you start that you will be supported and eased into things but then after 2 weeks, you are expected to know everything and work at an unrealistic pace, even when you work on an aisle for the first time. Generally belittled by small men who have a tiny bit of power and take every chance to exercise it ad nauseum. Initially, you are also not told how certain procedures are carried out (i.e. where delivery goes, where waste goes etc), and then moaned at and ridiculed when things aren't done as they would like. Seems to be poor morale amongst staff in general, unless you are in the approved circles and are given favourable treatment / allowed to get away with certain things. Very cliquey atmosphere, not made to feel welcome at all by the majority of staff, only a handful of helpful colleagues who are friendly and supportive. High staff turnover on the night shifts currently, says it all.
Pros
Free Colleague Shop
Cons
Poor Management, lack of staff morale and inclusivity
Productive and Socialble
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire14 August 2018
Although it was only work experience and I only did it for a week I feel like it gave me a good u understanding of what the real working like is like. The average working day was working from 9 am-5pm and consisted of stacking shelves advising customers and organizing clothing and different products.
Pros
Long breaks.
Cons
Not many staff.
great working place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leytonstone14 August 2018
very busy always something to do .
learned a lot about clothing , had a great manager hardest part of the job was sales time it was very very busy ,enjoy working for Tesco putting out new stock .
Pros
great discount offer
Cons
very long hours
productive and fun place to work
Werehouse (Former Employee) –  Bristol14 August 2018
very nice place to work....a lot of trainings provided and a great comunication team...posibiliti for promoting very easy .nice managment and a lot of benefits
Ok Place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Andrews14 August 2018
worked within the kiosk area. management were very clique however there were some good managers. Most enjoyable part would have to be getting along with all other customer assistants
Friendly and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire14 August 2018
I served working at Tesco for 3 years, and i did not once dislike my job. I enjoyed every shift and every moment working along side my colleges and as a part of Tesco. I would highly recommend them as a good company in caring for their staff, to work for.
I loved that they not only functioned as a store to achieve personal gains, but worked alongside other charities and organisations to support and raise money for them. The best part of working g at Tesco for me was the incredibly friendly people, and the fun events that we performed through out the year.
Pros
Good bonus and Extras
Cons
Holidays and time off was hard to obtain
Good Experience
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  walsgrave, coventry14 August 2018
Tesco really made me organise myself and understand how to deal with different customers. I started early in the mornings which made me realise what came first, I did find the early mornings very hard however it gave me the rest of the day.
Ok company to work for
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire14 August 2018
Ok job though can be full on in busy periods. Being asked by management to go on another department, usually on a till, then being moaned at by customer AND management that the availability is rubbish, only because you have been pulled off your job to do another. Can get frustrating.
Other than this it is an ok place to work.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Sometimes hard to pick up extra hours when on low hour Flexi contract
Everyone should work retail in their life.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainsborough13 August 2018
Working here you can expect to do things like dealing with deliveries, stocking shelves, filling Beers / Wines / Spirits, collecting trollies, serving customers on the checkouts. Sometimes all in the same day.

Working here you'll learn respect for people that work in the retail sector and that the customer is NOT always right. There's ways to progress here via the Options (basically they fast track you towards becoming a manager).

The culture in tesco's is massively inclusive, especially people working in this store, everyone constantly strives to make the customers and staff feel welcomed and comfortable in here.

Hardest part? Often you have to run around like a headless chicken trying to do several peoples jobs at once due to being understaffed or the store not getting enough overtime allowance to bring other staff in to help out.

Most enjoyable part of working here? It'll sound corny but the people. The people you serve on a daily basis whether it be delivery drivers or customers they make it seem like it's worth the effort you put in.

Would I recommend you work at tesco? Yes, everyone should work in the customer service sector at least once in their life.
Pros
10% Discount, 7.5% pension contribution and free uniform that actually looks good.
Cons
Will constantly feel like the store is understaffed with how hard you need to work.
Good Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oddington, Oxfordshire13 August 2018
All members of staff are incredibly friendly. Staff only areas were nice enough and the overtime opportunities are very common especially around the school holidays
Good solid retail company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 August 2018
Good company to work for, benefits are okay. Once at a store manager level its hard to develop and progress from that onwards. Service driven culture and very positive. Customer assistants looked after and supportinve management teams.
Pros
Flexible, service driven, pension scheme, share schemes
Cons
Demanding, missing the element of planning resulting in things being dropped on you last minute
Definitely not paid enough
Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bishops Stortford13 August 2018
You’re tricked into the counters position and have to deal with extremely disgusting things, management from other departments love to control! Lots of pressure
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Good work place but minimal communication
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Withernsea, East Riding of Yorkshire13 August 2018
I enjoyed working at Tesco but unfortunately the communication between colleagues and mangers let it down.
I made lots of friends which is a bonus and I'm always remembered when I go in but there needs to be more communication.
Great place to work.
Part-time Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside13 August 2018
Great environment to work in, with friendly staff and management. Learnt many skills on the job, with communication and interpersonal skills being the greatest assets.
Great People, Bad Management
Customer Assistant Checkouts (Former Employee) –  Bridlington13 August 2018
Great people as in your working colleagues however the management expect you to bend over backwards giving you 24hrs notice for shifts and its in your contract to do it. Awful management style in general unorganised and unprofessional.
Pros
10% Discount, decent pay
Nice, competitive work environment
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 August 2018
I found my time at Tesco to be highly enjoyable, though I think they had room for improvement. All employees were on a six month rotating contract that could be refreshed if they went onto a new campaign. Excellent in-house services and quality of staff care, with nice benefits including vouchers, bonuses, and some healthcare plans were awarded.
good company to work for
customer assistant (Current Employee) –  Camborne12 August 2018
we are a good team, we all get on well and help each other.
I have formed a good relationship with some of our customers.
I have learnt good customer service in this role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.

53.4K