Tenpin Employee Reviews

Worse place you could possibly want to work (KINGSTON)
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames5 May 2019
I have been at ten pin 3 1/2 months and I can honestly say this is by far the worst job I’ve ever had. Management shout and get easily annoyed even when asking one simple question such as “shall I clean the lanes” I was payed £6 an hour until I had completed 4 books and no one, even the managers wouldn't help me complete them. Being understaffed is pretty much an everyday routine to the point where i was lane clearing, behind bar and reception all by myself. The laziness of the staff was un real and managers were 20 times more lazier because they knew all staff below them wouldn’t do anything about it. I 110% advise you to look for another job instead of applying here and even if this is your last resort, try looking for another job. Even being unemployed is better than working at a job like this. Another thing is good luck taking a sick day. They want you to find cover otherwise you have to work that day, Sick or not.
Pros
None :)
Cons
Lazy staff, Low pay, Aggressive managers
The bad outweighed the good
Party Host (Former Employee) –  Southampton3 May 2019
The managers are really bad at their job
You need to constantly remind them to give you shifts and check holidays and they rely on smaller fish to train you rather than them help you
Pros
Cheap food, free games, very nice co-workers
Cons
Management is a joke, pay was bad, could go weeks without a shift
ten pin bowling receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bowling17 April 2019
Working with the general public, this is was also a part-time position. Working mainly at weekends.

The reason I left this company was that the travelling to this company was difficult and the car park fees was extortionist.
Only good thing is some of the people
CSA (Former Employee) –  Doncaster17 April 2019
Poor rewards
Poor hours
No backing from 75% of the management
Extremely boring
Only good thing is some of the people it’s friendly and easy to make friends
Awful communication, you’ll find your self shouting someone at least 5 times before you get to them
Pros
Free bowling
Cons
Late nights, boring, no backing
Dont do it !
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire14 April 2019
Your expected to do 3 or 4 different jobs at same time get left on your own a lot even when you have big ques ! Have to stay behind to clean toilets ect when cleaning staff not avalible . They forget you have a life too ! Don't be ill or you get attuidte. Not worth min wage for the hard work should be more . Treat you like slaves . Often dont get break till near end of shift when u already worked 8 hours !
Pros
Cons
Alot
Wow
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester23 March 2019
Where oh where to begin.
Firstly management dont care about staff and is clearly represented by a noticable divide. Its like living in a civil war. Wouldn't bother with the place even if I was desperate, unemployment is better.

The staff that you work with are what make the job but management wreck it with their terrible inconsistent standards and favouritism. One person they like on their phone means nothing but if they dislike someone else it's another story.

If the you get on with management then your guaranteed good social hours, where as if you dont say goodbye to socialising with your friends and family because you wont see either.

If I could rate lower than one star I would as it ruined my life.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Poor management, poor hours
Unprofessional work environment
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Feltham, Greater London23 March 2019
Only worked at Tenpin for 2 weeks before I was sacked for “theft” when the reality was certain employees had an underlying issue with me and reported me for “stealing” a drink and Pringles on my 9 hour shift (with no break because it was so busy) and not immediately paying because my Apple Pay wasn’t working. Management needs major improvement with staff training. I felt used and ridiculed over something I saw many senior staff members do on shift. Don’t work here! They’ll increase your hours without telling you and get mad if you can’t do the shift you never agreed to do in the first place!
Cons
Pay, bad training
Team members are fun to work with
Customer Sales Assistant (CSA) (Current Employee) –  Bexleyheath1 March 2019
A typical day would be to make sure everything is stocked up before the busy times such as the weekends and evenings. I've gained more self confidence. Management are very respectable and do a good job. The hardest part was dealing with customer complaints and the most enjoyable part was working with a good team that always made each other happy
Pros
free bowling
Cons
very bad social hours and non regular hours
Decent Co-workers, Sucky Management.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stoke12 February 2019
Management complain if you're not on your department 5 minutes before your shift is due to start.
Often managers forget to give you a break despite working 6+ hours or they say they 'told you over the radio, you mustn't have heard'.

There is no trade union, questions regarding any are dodged.

Complaints to the GM about any other deputy managers are disregarded despite coming from employees who have been with the company for a long time.

If someone rings in sick (which is often the case) a whole department is missing and managers expect the remaining 3 or so staff on shift to pick up the slack, in addition to this most managers are rude and talk down to a lot of the CSAs.

There is no praise given over a job well done, training (when it happens) is a mess and half the managers couldn't manage a room of 6 year olds.
Pros
Co-workers are amazing
Cons
Management requires improvement, rife with favouritism.
Not a good place to work despite its awards
CS’s (Former Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks, Cheshire1 February 2019
Started out as an ok job however the more you work the more you notice the company doesn’t actually care about its staff or customers. Management tends to have favourites and if your not in the click you don’t get hours . When trying to discuss issues managers don’t know what to do, meaning your in a vicious circle of poor working conditions! Tenpin as a whole is not a very good company to work for if you suffer with mental health problems if you don’t you eventually will suffer with them . Staff sickness isn’t dealt with appropriately and ends up making you worse. There is never enough staff on shift due to ridiculous head office budget cuts. On a whole not an ideal place to work!
Cons
To may to mention
good
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling28 January 2019
Day to day it was good working for Ten Pin,
Management was good
Staff are fun and friendly
i leaned many different things
hardest part was the rush at the end of shift
Best part was having good work colleagues
Pros
good hours
Absolute garbage, DO NOT COME HERE
Csa (Current Employee) –  Nottingham19 January 2019
Worst company in UK. Hopefully one of the other amusement/bowling companies will take over all the sites in time. Treated like poo, lied to, favouritism is rife, management love themselves and seem to think they are running a major company. DO NOT WORK IN ANY TENPIN. PLEASE READ ALL REVIEWS for this failure of a company
Pros
No pros at all, None
Cons
Too many to mention, actually just one big CON
Overall
Bar and Party Host (Former Employee) –  Bowling11 January 2019
Over all in my couple months I worked with ten pin I enjoyd learning new skill I didn't like that management choose to lie and intervean with something that was out of my hands
Ridiculous
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingston27 December 2018
Want to get overworked and underpaid? Do you also wanna work with a manager that cant understand english and tells you youve not been working even though they have been in the kitchen whilst your busy working? What about a manager that shouts at you through the phone and tells you not to speak to one of the employees outside of work out of working hours just because they failed to come in? Not to mention the constant gossiping between the supervisors and other staff standing at reception talking about an employee behind their back. This is a place where the manager and supervisors are related and argue constantly and get told they are not working in the same hours again. If you are looking to work for an unprofessional manager feel free to work here. This was my first job and i ended up leaving after working here for a long time soon getting a job somewhere else. There are a few nice people who work here at bowling but other than that its ridiculous. Good luck recruiting more people like me tenpin kingston. Teach them to stay in education instead of ending up in a dead end job like this. Working here would really teach a lesson
Cons
£6 an hour for getting overworked, ridiculous staff and manager
Wish I knew what I was letting myself in for.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire20 November 2018
Great job to start with but as hours increased so did the obvious cracks. Shifts are disorganised, shifts are either under staffed or over staffed with no happy medium, excuses made for training not received by all employees old and new feeling like there's no progression, during particularly busy shifts you feel like you need to split yourself into and extra 2 people just to take the stress off, management are awful not because they're all bad manager just because they don't all seem to be on the same page. Worked there for 6 and a half months before we had any sort of staff meeting and despite the constant reminder that I have kids I still get put on 12-13 hour shifts which is nothing compared to other members of staff that have been there longer. Really sad that it wasn't what it was sold as in the beginning.
Pros
Tenpin treats
Cons
See above there's a whole list
Horrible treatment of staff
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Feltham28 October 2018
Unprofessional work manor, management hardly existed, less than minimal wage earnings. Terrible company to work for overall. Nothing enjoyable of it. had to quit.
Pros
nothing
Cons
could go weeks without having a shift
Fast paced environment
Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  South West23 October 2018
Been with the company for a long time always enjoyed it until the last 12 months. Company is very KPI driven and can be fun hitting benchmark however sometimes the “goals” are impossible to achieve with the budgets you are given.
The team were amazing and on busy shifts you have to credit everyone who works to their max for minimum wage. I wish there were more company led incentives for the team members.
In all, Tenpin gave me alot of tools to develop along the way. After leaving I do see there is other ways to work and can say their processes have become tedious and often duplicated work in a different format.
The people I met along the way will serve as lifetime friends and the experience I gained will serve me well in any role of management.
Pros
Free bowling, discounted food and drink, great management team at site level and the team members themselves
Cons
Budgets/targets unrealistic, long hours expected to work 50+ a week more in half term, no time back for extra worked, tight payroll, tedious meetings/conf calls
Good first job
Southampton - Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead22 October 2018
My first job coming out of university and it treated me well. Standards expected are high and demand for profit delivering is key with the industry being in decline as a purely leisure based enterprise
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Low pay
fun workplace
Party Host (Current Employee) –  Doncaster16 October 2018
I have learned a lot whilst being at Ten Pin, I have worked on the reception, take kids party's, help out around the alley. The most enjoyable part of this job is the other staff who are there to help you if you need them and are very friendly.
Pros
Asda and McDonlads are next to the Alley.
awful management and little recognition
csa (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 October 2018
great place to work if you dont have a social life as rotas are only put up three days prior to the new week leaving no time to plan social events. never get weekends off which could easily be done by rotating it around staff so each staff member gets a weekend off once in a while without having to use all your holidays.
management have favorites so if your not one of these then expect to be put on short less shifts. it just gets worse and worse working here so i move on to somewhere i can actually enjoy. you get no thankyous for coming in if someone called in sick or staying later if its too busy, even after working a long enough shift as it is. Managements personal issues and social lives is made knows with the staff which is defiantly not needed and should not be told. overall if you dont have an active social life and enjoy being talked down to, apply.
Pros
non
Cons
no social life