Telent

Telent Employee Reviews

United Kingdom105 reviews
This is very much a project based organisation.
I have worked here for 20 years and have seen dozens of good colleagues leave because we failed to hold onto big projects.

Sadly, it is always the junior or middle level staff who suffer. We still have the same Managing Directors and Senior Managers who are never held to account.

If you are looking for work experience then use this organisation as they do offer good training courses and development. They also have excellent graduate schemes and apprenticeships for the youngsters.

However, please always remember you will only ever be a number and headcount for this organisation.

Don't fall into the loyalty trap that myself and many of my colleagues have fallen into as it won't be reciprocated...
I ignored all the negative feedback and was successful in getting a role in this organisation. It has proved to be the biggest mistake of my working life. Everything bad that people have said about this company is 100% accurate. Since I started I have discovered from my colleagues that they haven't received pay rises for several years. This company wastes so many resources that they might as well just poor the money down the drain. The management here are appalling and negligent. As mentioned by other people I too have witnessed bullying, sexism, ageism, racism and nepotism. Everyone talks about it but very few people are willing to challenge what goes on. I am trapped here now until the Covid-19 situation eases but can't wait to get away as soon as I can.
PLEASE AVOID THIS HORRENDOUS ORGANISATION.....
Pros
I got the job offer quite quickly after my interview. I felt very proud of my achievement.
Cons
I realise now that they will just take on anyone. So not such a great achievement after all.
Bullying, racism, sexism and nepotism are very prevalent in this company. Most of us tolerate this behaviour as we receive little or no support from our very poor and useless HR Team. They claim to promote good working practices and the mental well being of employees. However, from the HR Director right down to her idiotic minions they turn a blind eye and even allow some appalling behaviour by many out of control managers.
Pros
All the good gets forgotten about when there is so much bad
Cons
All the good gets forgotten about when there is so much bad
telent develop their staff well, challenge, coach and steer individuals to achieve their very best.

Great direction, leadership and strategy.

Supportive of staff, even during difficult times
I too loved my job and really enjoyed working at telent. I learnt a lot and I thought I would be there for many years to come. However, without any warning my team was disbanded. Even my immediate line managers did not know this would be happening. They tried to support us but were told by HR and other managers not to get involved. All this happened in the weeks before the Covid-19 lockdown. We asked to be kept on the books and be furloughed as per Government guidelines but were told by senior management this would not be possible. After all my hard work and years of loyal service I was thrown on the scrap heap.
I only hope one day my other colleagues at telent never have to go through the sadness, heartache and disappointment that I felt in the end.
Pros
Met some fantastic people and did learn a lot
Cons
Poor managers, poor communication and no loyalty
i have been with the company 5 years now and i really do love it... i went into this job with little information knowing what they do to 5 years later knowing so much and being trained on multiple work streams, you honestly learn something new everyday... working from home during lockdown has been really fun with having everyone pulling together and making fun challenges... the management have always kept us informed of any updates and making our day as fun as possible during this hard time of the pandemic.
Pros
Cons
Nothing at all
I am a Project Manager who has no choice but to rely on the PMO for support. They are now mostly clueless as their more experienced staff have left or were made redundant without a proper handover.
I bang my head against a brick wall every day. The PMO management are rude and obstructive when you try to escalate things. I know our Openreach PMs are very unhappy with telent at the moment and I can only hope we can turn things around before we lose any more business. Unfortunately, the PMO with their poor performance aren't helping our cause.
Pros
Sorry but I can't think of anything nice to say about the PMO
Cons
Too many clicks and nepotism appear to exist in the PMO
I joined the PMO from another part of telent and I have never felt more supported. There is a real team atmosphere, everyone has a can do attitude and your colleagues are always happy to help.

During lockdown the PMO have been brilliant in making sure everyone was safe and well. Held competitions and team building including supporting families with prizes and fun things to do.

The director is amazing, she is a role model for so many of us, approachable, caring and inspirational. She has supported the entire team with home working and welfare. She will thank you personally and makes everyone be proud to be part of the PMO.
Pros
Flexible, supportive, lots of training, career progression, recognition and reward
Cons
Hard work, not for slackers.
I am currently approaching my fifth year working for telent - this job was only supposed to be a stepping stone but I have climbed up the ladder and found a passion that I never knew I had. Every day I learn something new and have been a part of some amazing projects. To find a job where you are happy to jump out of bed makes a big difference in someone's life and I found that with telent. I have recently started a new team where there is so much opportunity for growth, made even more so by my manager and the director. I feel appreciated in the work that I do and am able to manage my working day to what works best for me.
What makes telent even that more enjoyable has to be the people. I have met some life long friends whilst being at this company and the culture overall is brimming with teamwork which I am happy to be a part of it.
Pros
Flexi-time, culture, progression, pay reviews
This shameless company is using the Coronavirus in it's job adverts in attempt to con people into thinking they are a strong and stable organisation. Yet I am a field supervisor whose welfare is being overlooked as they are not providing proper PPE, face masks and gloves. They keep saying they cannot get hold of stuff yet I am buying things off the internet which I shouldn't really being doing as it may not have been tested properly. If you complain the local managers raise their voices in attempt to intimidate and keep you quiet. There is always a fear of losing your job so you grin and bear it. This is truly an awful company to work for so please spare yourself the headache and find a job elsewhere.
Pros
The comradery with your colleagues and suppliers
Cons
Extremely poor managers and leaders
It was bad enough when it was Carillion, but Telent have destroyed the infrastructure and will be interesting when the next round of contracts come up. I work for another tier 1 to Openreach and the feedback I get it is they want Telent out and the company is falling apart at the seams. Telent should be asking why so many are leaving.
I gave this company 11 years of my life. I worked many many long hours at the expense of valuable time with my family of friends, some of whom I have since sadly lost. I found out through gossip that my team was being disbanded and we were all gone within 6 short weeks. Not a single manager came to see us or sent an email to thank us for our hard work and years of loyal service. In the end we were just a number and headcount reduction.
I am field supervisor who has continued to work throughout the lockdown. I had to buy my own masks, gloves and anti-bacterial wipes off the internet as various managers claimed they didn't have any or just couldn't be bothered to deliver despite repeated requests.
These same managers are always on your back, monitoring and complaining if they think you and the gangs are not working safely.

My colleagues are 1000% correct.

We have very poor leaders in infrastructure services.

It's wrong that we are losing so much work to other companies.

Nepotism is rife, if you are friends or family then you are more likely to be protected and looked after.

A few of us have been brave and challenged behaviors but a weak HR department closed ranks and nothing changed.
Pros
I work with a good bunch of blokes who will watch your back
Cons
Very poor managers who are mostly clueless
In the context of Covid-19, telent has continued to show itself as a secure and stable company whose work is essential and whose clients are providing national critical infrastructure.
From this secure base, employees are treated fairly and you can see that in time, career opportunities will be available
There is a culture of bullying that renders you incapable of speaking out.
I have read time and time again on this site about this behaviour and am surprised this is not being looked into by the company as the majority of former and present employees are saying this. Avoid this organisation if you can......
In response the Manager below praising telent for its friendly and family atmosphere. "You are living in cloud cuckoo land".
Staff are made to feel worthless every day due to the various clicks and poor behaviours of Managers particularly in telent Infrastructure Services.

All our complaints and issues were highlighted in a recent Employee Surveys but the full results were never published as it would have been detrimental to the reputation of the Company as a whole.

Things have definitely taken a turn for the worse since the loss of our much loved and respected former CEO. We have started to lose a lot business to our competitors and some of our best employees were recently made redundant or are leaving of their own accord.

We can only hope our new CEO can help rebuild moral of its loyal and long suffering staff. Please please please weed out the bullies and poor Managers & Directors who are destroying our organisation.
Useless, Unqualified Managers,
Senior engineers with Big Egos,

Hostile, Racist Engineers,

You can only progress if your face fits, senior management cannot manage people they are just looking for yes men to work for them.
Pros
Cons
Untrustworthy and Corrupt
I worked at telent for 4.5 years. 3.5 years as a contractor and a year as a permanent employee. During my contracting days telent was a wonderful place to work. As soon as i was made a permanent employee i was treated like rubbish by my new manager.

Telent is a nice place to work bar a few managers.
Fantastic work colleagues, great career opportunities, good work-life balance. telent feels like a large secure corporate organisation but is small enough so you feel part of a 'family' where your more than just an employee number. Technology led opportunities to work on projects & for customers making a difference to peoples lives.
Pros
Fantastic work colleagues, great career development opportunities, good work-life balance, 'family feel', financially strong
Cons
Some frustrating processes
The behaviours in this company have to been seen to believed.
After 11 years loyal service I found out I was being made redundant through office gossip. They had informed the people who were staying before the people who were leaving.

Everything my former colleagues has said below about the PMO is 100% accurate. If you are not part of the ‘elite club’ that has been created in this department you have no hope of surviving. It is very much a case 'of who you know and not what you know'.

The female employees are paid a lot less their male counterparts whilst doing the exactly same roles. The women Project Managers are paid less than the men, the women Programme Coordinators are paid less the men and the women IT Specialists are paid less than the men.

Sadly, it is the female HR Directors and female Senior Managers who enforce and promote this practice. They made the statement that more men are Field Engineers, even though is totally irrelevant to the majority of roles within the business.

It is also true that a lot of the long serving staff are holding this company back. They bully and belittle younger colleagues. They spend a lot of time complaining. It is ironic that out of 8-9 of us who are being made redundant, it is our longest serving colleague who has decided to stay by applying for a new internal role. That is because they were terrified that a new organisation wouldn’t put up their very negative behaviour.

This used be an great organisation, the reason I stayed 11 years. However, recently the new leaders and Managers are destroying moral and turning it into a not
 - more...
Pros
The restaurant is great and I did make a lot of good friends
Cons
A good organisation that has been spoilt by the new breed of leaders
Very poor management, expects you to work away from home Monday to Friday on a very low wage. Don't allow for any progression.........................