TeachFirst Employee Reviews

An interesting experience
Temp contract (Former Employee) –  London, ENG10 April 2015
This role was eye opening in terms of the mission of the organisation to end educational disadvantage for children from lower socio-economic backgrounds through exceptional teaching. The guiding principles of social justice underpin all elements of work in this organisation are wonderful
The staff are all passionate about their work and committed to these principles; many have been teachers and therefore bring a unique perspective to their work having been on the 'frontines' as it were.

A significant aspect of my role involved the proof-reading of potential teacher CVs and allocation of these participants into areas across London based upon their preferences and organisational needs.
Pros
Nice, supportive team.
Cons
No prospect for ongoing employment from temporary contract.
A challenging but important programme.
Teacher of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG22 November 2014
The Teach First graduate programme presents a huge challenge for anyone on it, but one that has proven very useful in mine and many other peoples' development.

The programme is structured so that work, study and training happen simultaneously which itself is a challenge, before the context of the workplace and community that you find yourself placed in is accounted for. Working in a school where so many pupils have such complex needs is both emotionally and physically draining.

The sense of personal development is palpable and this has been the most satisfying part of the job. I have learnt a lot about myself, as well as how to relate to people who are from a diverse and different background to anything I have encountered before.

There is ample support available and this is an important part of the programme in terms of sustainability and personal development.
Pros
Different problems and situations every day, and a sense of personal development and growth.
Cons
Challenging and new problems to overcome and an initially overwhelming workload.
Challenging and stimulating work environment
Secondary School Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG29 August 2014
On a typical day, I will get to work for 7.30 AM. Having checked my emails, I will print off resources for the first few classes of the morning which typically start at 8.30 AM. At break time I will often be on duty, and I will then teach more classes throughout the day, with the last one finishing at 3 o'clock. On a normal day, I will have meetings with other members of my team or senior management until 5 o'clock, after which I will plan lessons for the next day, mark books, phone parents etc.

Working an inner-city school, I have developed what I feel is an invaluable, and very difficult ability, to motivate students. Furthermore, I now possess excellent teamwork and organizational skills, being able to work with a variety of different stakeholders towards a common goal. I am capable at presenting information clearly and concisely, and have consistently demonstrated a tireless work ethic, with a determination to consistently work at a high standard.

I have excellent relationships with colleagues and support staff, and their help has been invaluable to me throughout what has been at times an extremely challenging year.

The hardest part of the job is undoubtedly motivating inner-city children- some of whom have never left Leeds- and generating within them an interest in Spanish and the culture of Spain. However, at the same time this is also the most enjoyable aspect of the job, as it is highly rewarding to secure progress for these types of pupils.
TeachFirst - A great way to build your skill set
Secondary Science Teacher - Head of Physics (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG20 August 2014
Resilience, confidence and effective communication are three key skills that any TeachFirst participant will develop as a result of being placed in a challenging school. Working with other teachers to help children achieve their full potential is a rewarding experience.
Pros
Great colleagues, lots of autonomy in your own work, great holidays.
Cons
Little remuneration for the hours you put in, very stressful working with challenging pupils and SLT members!
A great working environment with strong ethics
HR Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ENG23 March 2014
A wonderfully inspiring charity that gives a positive message to all.
Turnover £55m, Staff c. 400 (Current Employee) –  London16 March 2014
Great culture...hard working place ...fast pare enviornment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TeachFirst. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2