TeachFirst

TeachFirst Management reviews

United Kingdom32 reviews
A typical day would involve extensive planning of lessons and execution and management of lessons (content and behavioural management) with ranging levels of pupil attainment. Ensure the needs of each pupil is catered two whilst insuring collective content progression is achieved.

Management is very encouraging and supportive of your development and the general workplace culture is relaxed yet focused.

the hardest part is managing the unpredictable nature of pupils behaviour from lesson to lesson. The most enjoyable aspect is seeing pupils come into a lesson and leave with learning they did not have before.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Agile environment to work in, but difficult to progress. Learned how to work effectively with team and left good practices. Lack of diversity in the org but this is something they are trying to address.
Great scheme to get a PGCE, challenging though as you are often placed in difficult schools. However, the management/organisation and opportunities with the company are very good.
Very friendly and welcoming staff
Opp to travel

Good pay

Lots of opps to meet with CEO
Plenty of time to get together as a wider org
Super friendly environment to work and excel in.

It management changed hand many time while i was there, which made it difficult to get recognition.

Overall would recommend.
Pros
Focus on working well being
Cons
Multiple away days, non-role specific
A typical day at work would include teaching from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM with a number of responsibilities.My journey on the Teach First programme has provided me with opportunities for development and growth, both in my teaching practice and as a leader. I am committed to both of these aspects of the profession as I believe real change in classrooms can only come about through excellent classroom teaching, strong whole school leadership and community involvement.
The management at school has been incredible at providing advice and support. I am continuously working with other members of staff and co-planning a number of lessons. This is extremely beneficial as it provides a different perspective on educational needs.
The most challenging part of being a teacher working for Teach First is finding a work life balance trying to juggle a full time job as well as completing my PGCE and currently studying a masters degree at the University of Warwick. However, this has taught me great organisational and resilience skills, which are vital to be successful at any career.

The most enjoyable part of teaching at a poor inner-city school is experiencing children's lives being changed continuously. A student personally thanking you for a certain act or deed you have carried out for them is extremely satisfying. These students have been brought up under challenging circumstances and bridging the educational gap that evidently exists in the UK is what drives me on.
Pros
Amazing training and support
Cons
On a typical day, I will get to work for 7.30 AM. Having checked my emails, I will print off resources for the first few classes of the morning which typically start at 8.30 AM. At break time I will often be on duty, and I will then teach more classes throughout the day, with the last one finishing at 3 o'clock. On a normal day, I will have meetings with other members of my team or senior management until 5 o'clock, after which I will plan lessons for the next day, mark books, phone parents etc.

Working an inner-city school, I have developed what I feel is an invaluable, and very difficult ability, to motivate students. Furthermore, I now possess excellent teamwork and organizational skills, being able to work with a variety of different stakeholders towards a common goal. I am capable at presenting information clearly and concisely, and have consistently demonstrated a tireless work ethic, with a determination to consistently work at a high standard.

I have excellent relationships with colleagues and support staff, and their help has been invaluable to me throughout what has been at times an extremely challenging year.

The hardest part of the job is undoubtedly motivating inner-city children- some of whom have never left Leeds- and generating within them an interest in Spanish and the culture of Spain. However, at the same time this is also the most enjoyable aspect of the job, as it is highly rewarding to secure progress for these types of pupils.