TeachFirst

TeachFirst Employee Reviews for Mathematics Teacher

Mathematics Teacher3 reviews
United Kingdom3 reviews
A typical day at work would include teaching from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM with a number of responsibilities.My journey on the Teach First programme has provided me with opportunities for development and growth, both in my teaching practice and as a leader. I am committed to both of these aspects of the profession as I believe real change in classrooms can only come about through excellent classroom teaching, strong whole school leadership and community involvement.
The management at school has been incredible at providing advice and support. I am continuously working with other members of staff and co-planning a number of lessons. This is extremely beneficial as it provides a different perspective on educational needs.

The most challenging part of being a teacher working for Teach First is finding a work life balance trying to juggle a full time job as well as completing my PGCE and currently studying a masters degree at the University of Warwick. However, this has taught me great organisational and resilience skills, which are vital to be successful at any career.

The most enjoyable part of teaching at a poor inner-city school is experiencing children's lives being changed continuously. A student personally thanking you for a certain act or deed you have carried out for them is extremely satisfying. These students have been brought up under challenging circumstances and bridging the educational gap that evidently exists in the UK is what drives me on.
Pros
Amazing training and support
Cons
Your life will become teaching and teaching will become your life. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are passionate about your teaching career, but you may forget who you are outside of the classroom.
Do not mistake Teach First for a stepping stone into a corporate career; I would only recommend this scheme to people who actually want to go into teaching. Teach First are not supportive of those who choose to leave education afterwards.
Pros
Quickly gain a lot of experience, get paid while getting qualified
Cons
Long hours, very intense, no work-life balance in the first year
The Teach First graduate programme presents a huge challenge for anyone on it, but one that has proven very useful in mine and many other peoples' development.

The programme is structured so that work, study and training happen simultaneously which itself is a challenge, before the context of the workplace and community that you find yourself placed in is accounted for. Working in a school where so many pupils have such complex needs is both emotionally and physically draining.

The sense of personal development is palpable and this has been the most satisfying part of the job. I have learnt a lot about myself, as well as how to relate to people who are from a diverse and different background to anything I have encountered before.

There is ample support available and this is an important part of the programme in terms of sustainability and personal development.
Pros
Different problems and situations every day, and a sense of personal development and growth.
Cons
Challenging and new problems to overcome and an initially overwhelming workload.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at TeachFirst?