TeachFirst

TeachFirst Employee Reviews in Leicester

Leicester2 reviews
A typical day at work would include teaching from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM with a number of responsibilities.My journey on the Teach First programme has provided me with opportunities for development and growth, both in my teaching practice and as a leader. I am committed to both of these aspects of the profession as I believe real change in classrooms can only come about through excellent classroom teaching, strong whole school leadership and community involvement.
The management at school has been incredible at providing advice and support. I am continuously working with other members of staff and co-planning a number of lessons. This is extremely beneficial as it provides a different perspective on educational needs.

The most challenging part of being a teacher working for Teach First is finding a work life balance trying to juggle a full time job as well as completing my PGCE and currently studying a masters degree at the University of Warwick. However, this has taught me great organisational and resilience skills, which are vital to be successful at any career.

The most enjoyable part of teaching at a poor inner-city school is experiencing children's lives being changed continuously. A student personally thanking you for a certain act or deed you have carried out for them is extremely satisfying. These students have been brought up under challenging circumstances and bridging the educational gap that evidently exists in the UK is what drives me on.
Pros
Amazing training and support
Cons
Your life will become teaching and teaching will become your life. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are passionate about your teaching career, but you may forget who you are outside of the classroom.
Do not mistake Teach First for a stepping stone into a corporate career; I would only recommend this scheme to people who actually want to go into teaching. Teach First are not supportive of those who choose to leave education afterwards.
Pros
Quickly gain a lot of experience, get paid while getting qualified
Cons
Long hours, very intense, no work-life balance in the first year
Ask a question about working or interviewing at TeachFirst. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3