TeachFirst

TeachFirst Employee Reviews in Leeds

Leeds2 reviews
On a typical day, I will get to work for 7.30 AM. Having checked my emails, I will print off resources for the first few classes of the morning which typically start at 8.30 AM. At break time I will often be on duty, and I will then teach more classes throughout the day, with the last one finishing at 3 o'clock. On a normal day, I will have meetings with other members of my team or senior management until 5 o'clock, after which I will plan lessons for the next day, mark books, phone parents etc.

Working an inner-city school, I have developed what I feel is an invaluable, and very difficult ability, to motivate students. Furthermore, I now possess excellent teamwork and organizational skills, being able to work with a variety of different stakeholders towards a common goal. I am capable at presenting information clearly and concisely, and have consistently demonstrated a tireless work ethic, with a determination to consistently work at a high standard.

I have excellent relationships with colleagues and support staff, and their help has been invaluable to me throughout what has been at times an extremely challenging year.

The hardest part of the job is undoubtedly motivating inner-city children- some of whom have never left Leeds- and generating within them an interest in Spanish and the culture of Spain. However, at the same time this is also the most enjoyable aspect of the job, as it is highly rewarding to secure progress for these types of pupils.
The Teach First graduate programme presents a huge challenge for anyone on it, but one that has proven very useful in mine and many other peoples' development.

The programme is structured so that work, study and training happen simultaneously which itself is a challenge, before the context of the workplace and community that you find yourself placed in is accounted for. Working in a school where so many pupils have such complex needs is both emotionally and physically draining.

The sense of personal development is palpable and this has been the most satisfying part of the job. I have learnt a lot about myself, as well as how to relate to people who are from a diverse and different background to anything I have encountered before.

There is ample support available and this is an important part of the programme in terms of sustainability and personal development.
Pros
Different problems and situations every day, and a sense of personal development and growth.
Cons
Challenging and new problems to overcome and an initially overwhelming workload.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at TeachFirst. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3