TeachFirst

TeachFirst Employee Reviews

United Kingdom32 reviews
I was first driven to this position due to culture fit and found that they were true to expectation. There was a true work-life balance and the work itself was driven, meaningful, and well-structured.
I was lucky enough to get to work for Teach First and gain a brief insight into their ethos. I enjoyed my time here immensely and felt like I made a valued contribution which was appreciated.
You can often work from home. Managers are flexible as is the charity. Lack of progression, but overall a great place to work. Nice offices as well, with free drinks on Friday.
Great place to work. Flexible hours and working arrangements. Passionate colleagues who believe in what they do and the vision of the charity. Leadership has changed since I left.
I enjoy the personal development opportunities of this job, as well as feeling rewarded by the student response to the TeachFirst programmes. I work proactively and am able to organise my own events.
I enjoyed my time during this internship and found it a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Short term internship
Cons
Travel
TeachFirst provided opportunites in which work can be completed among with other workers. Wrking as an IT service Desks assistant allowed the ability to support others from the desk and around the building as well which allows great communication amongst other workers and to avoid getting board when working at the same confined space everyday. The job can be difficult in being able to fully provide the correct support towards others immediately without making any mistakes, although it is the mot enjoybale experience once a task that may appear to large is completed within a day.
Pros
air conditioning, bevarages
Cons
Long Hours
Everyone is very caring there and ensures you are given a high level of support when carrying out tasks.
I was given extensive training and was always greeted in a friendly manner.
Great people, culture and vision of organisation but limited progression for more senior jobs. High workload at certain times of the year and often disparity across the organisation.
Pros
Flexible working hours and ability to work from home
Cons
Long hours and heavy workloads at times
Very flexible employer with agile working (opportunity to work from home). Great benefits including free health care, cycle to work scheme, discount gym membership etc.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at TeachFirst?
Agile environment to work in, but difficult to progress. Learned how to work effectively with team and left good practices. Lack of diversity in the org but this is something they are trying to address.
Great place to work - fantastic ethos and shared alike with similarly-minded people. Great organisation to join if you are interested in a career progression within education (in your school) or positive social impact. Inspirational teachers in your school placement, strong and experienced mentors to guide you, and aspirational leaders in headquarters too. The most positive workplace culture I have experienced out of a myriad jobs and sectors that I have worked in. Some difficult work-life balance considering the bureaucracy of teaching (planning lessons, marking, extra CPD sessions) and other challenges that come with teaching. However, teaching is deemed as challenging but rewarding for a reason - you definitely get out what you put in to your experience.
Pros
positive social impact, personal and professional development, quick career progression, large networking opportunities
Cons
long hours, low starting rate
Great scheme to get a PGCE, challenging though as you are often placed in difficult schools. However, the management/organisation and opportunities with the company are very good.
Excellent organisation to be part of which has enabled me to gain a broad range of skills. They put a great deal of faith and trust in employees which leads to a dedicated staff.
Work closely with recruitment team to raise awareness of what Teach Firs does. Culture is inclusive and fun, get to work with loads of different people.
Great people, fantastic opportunities to learn and develop. Initiative encouraged. Autonomy and trust from employer. Workplace culture is generally very posotive with lots of perks and staff achievements celebrated.
Pros
Lots of professional development opportunities
Cons
Long hours, lots of travelling
A typical day would involve extensive planning of lessons and execution and management of lessons (content and behavioural management) with ranging levels of pupil attainment. Ensure the needs of each pupil is catered two whilst insuring collective content progression is achieved.

Management is very encouraging and supportive of your development and the general workplace culture is relaxed yet focused.

the hardest part is managing the unpredictable nature of pupils behaviour from lesson to lesson. The most enjoyable aspect is seeing pupils come into a lesson and leave with learning they did not have before.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
You will learn a lot, whatever role you have at Teach First, as the culture is very collaborative. They also value integrity, leadership and excellence.
overall a v good experience but the work life mbalance is not what i was looking for. However, i would higly recommend the programme to anypone interested.
Your life will become teaching and teaching will become your life. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are passionate about your teaching career, but you may forget who you are outside of the classroom.
Do not mistake Teach First for a stepping stone into a corporate career; I would only recommend this scheme to people who actually want to go into teaching. Teach First are not supportive of those who choose to leave education afterwards.
Pros
Quickly gain a lot of experience, get paid while getting qualified
Cons
Long hours, very intense, no work-life balance in the first year
This is a fun and flexible job ideal for confident students wanting experience with Teach First and recruitment. Get to work in a team and run your own activities helping with organisation skills
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay not great or consistent
Ask a question about working or interviewing at TeachFirst. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3