TeachFirst Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  National21 October 2018
Very flexible employer with agile working (opportunity to work from home). Great benefits including free health care, cycle to work scheme, discount gym membership etc.
n/a
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London3 October 2018
Agile environment to work in, but difficult to progress. Learned how to work effectively with team and left good practices. Lack of diversity in the org but this is something they are trying to address.
N/a
Teacher (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London21 July 2018
Great place to work - fantastic ethos and shared alike with similarly-minded people. Great organisation to join if you are interested in a career progression within education (in your school) or positive social impact. Inspirational teachers in your school placement, strong and experienced mentors to guide you, and aspirational leaders in headquarters too. The most positive workplace culture I have experienced out of a myriad jobs and sectors that I have worked in. Some difficult work-life balance considering the bureaucracy of teaching (planning lessons, marking, extra CPD sessions) and other challenges that come with teaching. However, teaching is deemed as challenging but rewarding for a reason - you definitely get out what you put in to your experience.
Pros
positive social impact, personal and professional development, quick career progression, large networking opportunities
Cons
long hours, low starting rate
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Haringey, Greater London15 May 2018
Great scheme to get a PGCE, challenging though as you are often placed in difficult schools. However, the management/organisation and opportunities with the company are very good.
Passionate colleagues and inspirational workplace environment
South London School Partnership Manager (Current Employee) –  London21 April 2018
Excellent organisation to be part of which has enabled me to gain a broad range of skills. They put a great deal of faith and trust in employees which leads to a dedicated staff.
Ambitious and fun workplace
Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  London27 March 2018
Work closely with recruitment team to raise awareness of what Teach Firs does. Culture is inclusive and fun, get to work with loads of different people.
Fast paced, forward thinking
CLASSROOM LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Regional19 March 2018
Great people, fantastic opportunities to learn and develop. Initiative encouraged. Autonomy and trust from employer. Workplace culture is generally very posotive with lots of perks and staff achievements celebrated.
Pros
Lots of professional development opportunities
Cons
Long hours, lots of travelling
Productive and Stimulating environment
Business and economics trainee teacher (Current Employee) –  london13 November 2017
A typical day would involve extensive planning of lessons and execution and management of lessons (content and behavioural management) with ranging levels of pupil attainment. Ensure the needs of each pupil is catered two whilst insuring collective content progression is achieved.

Management is very encouraging and supportive of your development and the general workplace culture is relaxed yet focused.

the hardest part is managing the unpredictable nature of pupils behaviour from lesson to lesson. The most enjoyable aspect is seeing pupils come into a lesson and leave with learning they did not have before.
Pros
Free Lunch
Digital Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London20 September 2017
You will learn a lot, whatever role you have at Teach First, as the culture is very collaborative. They also value integrity, leadership and excellence.
teacher
Secondary School Teacher of English and Politics (Former Employee) –  London7 September 2017
overall a v good experience but the work life mbalance is not what i was looking for. However, i would higly recommend the programme to anypone interested.
In at the deep end
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire15 July 2017
Your life will become teaching and teaching will become your life. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are passionate about your teaching career, but you may forget who you are outside of the classroom.
Do not mistake Teach First for a stepping stone into a corporate career; I would only recommend this scheme to people who actually want to go into teaching. Teach First are not supportive of those who choose to leave education afterwards.
Pros
Quickly gain a lot of experience, get paid while getting qualified
Cons
Long hours, very intense, no work-life balance in the first year
Fun flexible job
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire29 June 2017
This is a fun and flexible job ideal for confident students wanting experience with Teach First and recruitment. Get to work in a team and run your own activities helping with organisation skills
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay not great or consistent
Inspiring and positive place to work
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North East24 February 2017
A fast-paced environment with committed staff and a clear purpose. Lots of opportunities for learning, leadership and development.
Great Place To Work
Graduate Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  National6 October 2016
Very friendly and welcoming staff
Opp to travel
Good pay
Lots of opps to meet with CEO
Plenty of time to get together as a wider org
Friendly atmosphere
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  London25 May 2016
Super friendly environment to work and excel in.

It management changed hand many time while i was there, which made it difficult to get recognition.

Overall would recommend.
Pros
Focus on working well being
Cons
Multiple away days, non-role specific
Enjoyable work place
Secondary School Teacher of ICT (Former Employee) –  Manchester1 September 2015
A prestigious and challenging graduate scheme. The programme places a strong emphasis on communication, team-work, leadership and creativity. Participants receive 6 weeks of intensive training before being placed as a teacher in a challenging urban secondary school. During the scheme they are expected to gain qualified teacher status, network with the scheme's sponsors and affect a marked change in their schools.
Challenging but enjoyable working environment
Maths Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leicester16 June 2015
A typical day at work would include teaching from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM with a number of responsibilities.My journey on the Teach First programme has provided me with opportunities for development and growth, both in my teaching practice and as a leader. I am committed to both of these aspects of the profession as I believe real change in classrooms can only come about through excellent classroom teaching, strong whole school leadership and community involvement.
The management at school has been incredible at providing advice and support. I am continuously working with other members of staff and co-planning a number of lessons. This is extremely beneficial as it provides a different perspective on educational needs.
The most challenging part of being a teacher working for Teach First is finding a work life balance trying to juggle a full time job as well as completing my PGCE and currently studying a masters degree at the University of Warwick. However, this has taught me great organisational and resilience skills, which are vital to be successful at any career.
The most enjoyable part of teaching at a poor inner-city school is experiencing children's lives being changed continuously. A student personally thanking you for a certain act or deed you have carried out for them is extremely satisfying. These students have been brought up under challenging circumstances and bridging the educational gap that evidently exists in the UK is what drives me on.
Pros
Amazing training and support
An interesting experience
Temp contract (Former Employee) –  London, ENG10 April 2015
This role was eye opening in terms of the mission of the organisation to end educational disadvantage for children from lower socio-economic backgrounds through exceptional teaching. The guiding principles of social justice underpin all elements of work in this organisation are wonderful
The staff are all passionate about their work and committed to these principles; many have been teachers and therefore bring a unique perspective to their work having been on the 'frontines' as it were.

A significant aspect of my role involved the proof-reading of potential teacher CVs and allocation of these participants into areas across London based upon their preferences and organisational needs.
Pros
Nice, supportive team.
Cons
No prospect for ongoing employment from temporary contract.
A challenging but important programme.
Teacher of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG22 November 2014
The Teach First graduate programme presents a huge challenge for anyone on it, but one that has proven very useful in mine and many other peoples' development.

The programme is structured so that work, study and training happen simultaneously which itself is a challenge, before the context of the workplace and community that you find yourself placed in is accounted for. Working in a school where so many pupils have such complex needs is both emotionally and physically draining.

The sense of personal development is palpable and this has been the most satisfying part of the job. I have learnt a lot about myself, as well as how to relate to people who are from a diverse and different background to anything I have encountered before.

There is ample support available and this is an important part of the programme in terms of sustainability and personal development.
Pros
Different problems and situations every day, and a sense of personal development and growth.
Cons
Challenging and new problems to overcome and an initially overwhelming workload.
Challenging and stimulating work environment
Secondary School Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG29 August 2014
On a typical day, I will get to work for 7.30 AM. Having checked my emails, I will print off resources for the first few classes of the morning which typically start at 8.30 AM. At break time I will often be on duty, and I will then teach more classes throughout the day, with the last one finishing at 3 o'clock. On a normal day, I will have meetings with other members of my team or senior management until 5 o'clock, after which I will plan lessons for the next day, mark books, phone parents etc.

Working an inner-city school, I have developed what I feel is an invaluable, and very difficult ability, to motivate students. Furthermore, I now possess excellent teamwork and organizational skills, being able to work with a variety of different stakeholders towards a common goal. I am capable at presenting information clearly and concisely, and have consistently demonstrated a tireless work ethic, with a determination to consistently work at a high standard.

I have excellent relationships with colleagues and support staff, and their help has been invaluable to me throughout what has been at times an extremely challenging year.

The hardest part of the job is undoubtedly motivating inner-city children- some of whom have never left Leeds- and generating within them an interest in Spanish and the culture of Spain. However, at the same time this is also the most enjoyable aspect of the job, as it is highly rewarding to secure progress for these types of pupils.