Tata Steel Employee Reviews

Steel works what more can I say.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot6 April 2018
Dirty steel industry, low salary for hours, management are rubbish in many areas, will never work there ever again if I can help it. Spent many years miserable here.
Pros
Cons
Loads
busy workplace
Plant Engineer - Electrical (Area Specialist) (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot4 April 2018
a typical day in work would see me scope out work, build an order, assign and organise contractors and put onto annual plan. hardest part of my job is the aging asset.
Pros
good benefits
Good Job for the right person
Team Member - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Trostre2 April 2018
Good little job for the right person just not for me, if you like doing very little work its the job for you! Rolling 12 month contract is a bind and just a way of getting cheap labour.
Completed
PQC technician (Former Employee) –  Newport12 March 2018
Had 26 years there of full time work. Yes a long time. Good hours of work. Friendly people. Nice comfy chairs, a warm office. Friendly people. I just didn't enjoy programming any more.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem solving
company has deteriorated over past 10 yrs
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Cogent (Orb electrical steels)12 February 2018
Worked for British steel industry all my working life.
In the past 10 yrs it has transformed from a caring organisation to a corporate unfeeling place to work.
This is solely down to the new generation of management brought in from outside the industry.
It's now a very unpleasant environment to work in.
Pros
salary
Cons
job satisfaction
busy hard working place
Finance Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot8 February 2018
I oversee the building and people requirements. I have done many different roles while with Tata which has increased in knowledge and understanding of finance and IT systems and processes. Hard working but enjoyable place to work and great people.
Pros
Flexiable working hours
Cons
Job cuts
Family based culture
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire17 January 2018
Great place to work and be a part of. Working towards a common goal generally and you benefit from the companies success. Encourage to participate in the companies progress and ideas are greeted with enthusiasm
learnt how to operate computer systems
Steel worker (Former Employee) –  Llanwern11 January 2018
Nice team of people to work with on a regular shift pattern. Can be noisey but uniform provided. Can be quite messy but there are showers on site and porta cabins to have meal breaks
Pros
close to home
Cons
12 hour shifts
Professional international company
Process Control Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot11 January 2018
A company that supports and develops its workforce. Employees people across a very large spectrum of skills. Gives a very high priority to providing a safe workplace. Uses advanced technologies in many of its processes.
Pros
Interesting work environment
Great Place to work and learn
Shift Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe4 January 2018
Great Place to work and learn. A career choice I can recommend. Started straight from leaving school. Trained and moved around the different manufacturing areas on the site learning all aspects of the company.
A relaxed, comfortable environment
Cleaner, OCS (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire18 December 2017
A welcoming environment, strict safety rules but a relaxed morale about the place. A good place to start a career in a number of trades and professions.
Every day different
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Trostre28 November 2017
My working week would rotate in various roles from crane-driving through to carrying out Q.A. checks on customer orders .
We had to take into account customers ever changing demands of the product and adapt as necessary to satisfy them or lose them .
All working duties were overseen by Safe Working Practices.
Direct instruction were given by my Team Leader with some input from Middle Management , however , I always answered to my Team Leader in the first instance . Management were available if any advice was needed over any uncertain decisions .
All the team needed a good work ethic , we had some difficult shifts but generally more good times than bad .
As time went on and the older I got, shift work was certainly taking a toll , as was the commuting every day of a 40 mile round trip .
Pros
Good team working culture
Cons
Continental shift working caught up with me .
Information Management
Information Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot22 November 2017
Given the nature of digitalisation, there is no such thing as a typical work day, combination of projects, team management and day to day activities means that no two days are the same.
Very Untrustworthy
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester21 November 2017
Due to the amount of redundancies this was a very untrustworthy place to work, all the workers were afraid of loosing there own jobs so the atmosphere was awful
Well balanced and efficient finance department
Assistant Accountant Controls (Former Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire15 November 2017
Worked in a relaxed atmosphere which enabled the team to carry out their individual roles, Full breakdown of my role shown in my CV.
Learned new skills especially in Export and full accounting to Trial Balance for Subsidiary Company.
The hardest part of the job was when all staff involved with the Finance department were told to summarise their job roles and send to the offices in Wales. In the following months the department was closed and all staff were made redundant.
Most enjoyable part was joining and working for Corus UK Ltd prior to Tata Steels takeover.
productive and great place work
Electrical Engineering Team Member in the Concast (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot Town5 November 2017
# Very good company to work for to achieve great benefits for example pension.
# Very interesting place work with new obstacles every day which you have to over come.
# Great work place and very close team workmanship
# The hardest part job is progressing in career not normal procedures for promotions.
# The most enjoyable is never knowing what job will be on tommorrow constantly changing and on toes sort job.
Pros
pension
Cons
salary
excellent company
Crane Driver (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire22 October 2017
Good work place very good experience crane driving reel good heath and safety good rate of pay good team building long hours good for machine licenses
Well balanced
Graduate Trainee (Former Employee) –  Rotherham19 October 2017
A great place to work with very intelligent and caring co-workers, with a true team spirit. Not enough advancement for projects and careers however. Good experience.
welder
Maintainance team member (Former Employee) –  Motherwell12 October 2017
great job loved it there took early retirement as thought place was closing down but has reopened as another company now hours were great guys were great and salary was very good.
Great Team spirit and willingness for hard work
Manufacture Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Llanwern Steeelworks11 October 2017
My typical day startedat 08:00 and would invovle reading all reports for past 24 hours,anylising and deciding course of action. Meeting at 08:30 to discuss issues and actions. Rest of the day day would involve liasing with different parties to achive desired outcomes.
Pros
Good Training and support
Cons
Expectation to put work before everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tata Steel. Our community is ready to answer.