Tata Steel Employee Reviews

Very antiquated
Lean Coach & Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Skinningrove15 November 2018
Very antiquated and hierarchical culture
Industry in a slow steady decline with management and workforce unable to adapt to how the world has moved in since British Steel's heday
Pros
Decent Salary
Cons
Very bureaucratic
Good workmates
Team Member / Steel Worker (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe18 September 2018
Lack of funding was the worst thing. You had to wait for ages to get things repaired or replaced. But the work colleagues where what made enjoy the Job.
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
Lack of investment
Good work/life balance
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea17 September 2018
Good atmosphere in the company considering the challenges the industry faces. Can be long hours on shifts (12 hour shift pattern)
Good opportunities within the company, other departments better at utilising their workforce than others.

Management varies from department to department as such is the size of the company. Some supportive and others more interested in looking after their own interests. But generally good support from management.

Hardest part of the job is balancing workloads as the business has had to make several cutbacks over the past few years and the workload has increased not in line with the resources available.

The job in general is enjoyable and well balanced. Hard working employees and a good team mentality.
Pros
Generous holidays
Cons
Long Hours
Temporary Assignment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester12 August 2018
This was a temporary assignment. My role was reception, taking
deliveries of orders. Some computer input involved. No answering of calls as the phone had been diverted. Most of the work was done
from York.. My role was meet and greet
Pros
Central Location
Cons
Short hours
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot2 July 2018
Usually would arrive to work early and leave early. I learned a lot new skills relating to finance which I was grateful for. The management was not the best during my last few months working there. Although the management was a problem it did not affect the work place culture as there was support from piers. The hardest part of the job was keeping concentration while one member of the team consistently kept talking and it was very frustrating. The most enjoyable part was the team I worked with.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Lack of loyalty
Generally a good employer
Trade union safety representative (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot19 June 2018
A good business to work for , although some departments are a law upon themselves. There is a clear divide between the workforce and the senior management. The pension has all but disappeared to what it once was. The wages are good for the community's which they are based. I would give the employer a six out of ten.
Wide ranging experience and authority
Senior International Steel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 May 2018
Incredibly wide experience of aspects of industry operational, technical and engineering from CEO interface to mentoring of junior engineers, with significant financial freedom and impact
Steel works what more can I say.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot6 April 2018
Dirty steel industry, low salary for hours, management are rubbish in many areas, will never work there ever again if I can help it. Spent many years miserable here.
Pros
Cons
Loads
busy workplace
Plant Engineer - Electrical (Area Specialist) (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot4 April 2018
a typical day in work would see me scope out work, build an order, assign and organise contractors and put onto annual plan. hardest part of my job is the aging asset.
Pros
good benefits
Good Job for the right person
Team Member - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Trostre2 April 2018
Good little job for the right person just not for me, if you like doing very little work its the job for you! Rolling 12 month contract is a bind and just a way of getting cheap labour.
Completed
PQC technician (Former Employee) –  Newport12 March 2018
Had 26 years there of full time work. Yes a long time. Good hours of work. Friendly people. Nice comfy chairs, a warm office. Friendly people. I just didn't enjoy programming any more.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem solving
company has deteriorated over past 10 yrs
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Cogent (Orb electrical steels)12 February 2018
Worked for British steel industry all my working life.
In the past 10 yrs it has transformed from a caring organisation to a corporate unfeeling place to work.
This is solely down to the new generation of management brought in from outside the industry.
It's now a very unpleasant environment to work in.
Pros
salary
Cons
job satisfaction
busy hard working place
Finance Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot8 February 2018
I oversee the building and people requirements. I have done many different roles while with Tata which has increased in knowledge and understanding of finance and IT systems and processes. Hard working but enjoyable place to work and great people.
Pros
Flexiable working hours
Cons
Job cuts
Family based culture
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire17 January 2018
Great place to work and be a part of. Working towards a common goal generally and you benefit from the companies success. Encourage to participate in the companies progress and ideas are greeted with enthusiasm
learnt how to operate computer systems
Steel worker (Former Employee) –  Llanwern11 January 2018
Nice team of people to work with on a regular shift pattern. Can be noisey but uniform provided. Can be quite messy but there are showers on site and porta cabins to have meal breaks
Pros
close to home
Cons
12 hour shifts
Professional international company
Process Control Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot11 January 2018
A company that supports and develops its workforce. Employees people across a very large spectrum of skills. Gives a very high priority to providing a safe workplace. Uses advanced technologies in many of its processes.
Pros
Interesting work environment
Great Place to work and learn
Shift Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe4 January 2018
Great Place to work and learn. A career choice I can recommend. Started straight from leaving school. Trained and moved around the different manufacturing areas on the site learning all aspects of the company.
A relaxed, comfortable environment
Cleaner, OCS (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire18 December 2017
A welcoming environment, strict safety rules but a relaxed morale about the place. A good place to start a career in a number of trades and professions.
Every day different
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Trostre28 November 2017
My working week would rotate in various roles from crane-driving through to carrying out Q.A. checks on customer orders .
We had to take into account customers ever changing demands of the product and adapt as necessary to satisfy them or lose them .
All working duties were overseen by Safe Working Practices.
Direct instruction were given by my Team Leader with some input from Middle Management , however , I always answered to my Team Leader in the first instance . Management were available if any advice was needed over any uncertain decisions .
All the team needed a good work ethic , we had some difficult shifts but generally more good times than bad .
As time went on and the older I got, shift work was certainly taking a toll , as was the commuting every day of a 40 mile round trip .
Pros
Good team working culture
Cons
Continental shift working caught up with me .
Information Management
Information Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot22 November 2017
Given the nature of digitalisation, there is no such thing as a typical work day, combination of projects, team management and day to day activities means that no two days are the same.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tata Steel. Our community is ready to answer.