Play YouTube video button

Featured review
Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated selected this as a representative review
Family
Relationship Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Remote15 September 2019
All the benefits of working for a massive corporation, opportunities to learn & develop. Genuinely feels like a close knit family... company values are spot on.
Good friendly environment to work in!
HR Recruitment Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh13 March 2019
Lots of varied activities during my time, with god opportunities to develop skills.
Had responsibility to make decisions but lots of support if needed.
Bad Management
1st Line Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 March 2019
Stay away. Management is horrendously bad here.

Sykes is notoriously bad at managing clients. They will let them create whatever crazy processes they like, and will tell the client whatever they want to hear, even if it's the exact opposite of reality. This means that the client will push for great customer service and encourage first contact resolution. Now, that is not possible due to the fact that Sykes don't want to hire lots of people and spend money on wages. They want small groups of people to be able to get through calls as fast as possible, and ask people to call back once the troubleshooting steps provided have been completed, even though it might only take 2 minutes to do. That is because for some clients Sykes is paid per call, and management want to artificially create calls.

Now, that is a VERY dangerous situation for the employees. You will never have job security at Sykes, as it is actually written into your contract (that is, if you ever sign it. Some have went 2 years without being given one) that if you create more calls than necessary in order to resolve the issue, your employment can be terminated. Mix that in with a 6 MONTH probation period, where if you have 3 absences for any reason (even if you follow their absence procedure) then you will get your probation extended for 3 months, and you'll inevitably be fired before that extension runs its course.

Then, the only way you will ever rise the ranks (the highest you can really go is to a Team Leader, but that depends on if there are any vacancies, which there aren't for the majority of the year).
  more... Any form of promotion does depend entirely on how high you're willing to jump for upper management however (the account managers and the senior Quality Monitors), so some people have been there a number of years (having more experience than any of the Team Leaders) but because they distrust management and are cynical about any promised improvements to working conditions they are stuck. Further more, it's hard for them to move onto another job because for every year you've been there, you have to provide an extra weeks worth of notice.

The account managers always tell you things will get better, but they don't. They'll promise things, but always have a condition on that promise, for example compounded hours on the condition of less absences. Maybe if people had a more enjoyable life at work then they wouldn't be taking days off every month. Unfortunately there is one salary for each role, and you only get performance-based increases in salary once you become a Team Leader. Quality Monitors are paid a base wage, alongside Supervisors, Trainers and regular Customer Service Agents. You get superstars who are so vital to the operation of some clients contact centres the entire place would fall apart without them, but even they don't get any real benefits.

A lot of the Team Leaders are hit and miss. Some are absolutely cancerous. Others are aware of the problems, but there's little they can do, because if they spoke up they would lose their job.

IT is absolutely rubbish too. For many, expect your computer or ticketing software to crash several times a week. Every now and then you'll even get locked out of your account, and somehow IT are that useless that they won't even be able to help that same day. There's a reason for that though. If you pay your IT guys starting at £19.000 you will get what you pay for. The going wage everywhere else ranges from £22k-28k.
Pros
Meet good people working the phones
Cons
Bad Contract Terms, 6 Month Probation, the free coffee is toxic waste
Save yourself
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh24 January 2019
Sykes Edinburgh has no employee culture despite what they try to demonstrate. They have an awful absence policy and try to make you feel bad and give you disciplinaries after 6 absences in 12months. Pressure you into coming to work when you are contagious and makes you feel bad for mental health issue.

Managers are praised and never get into trouble and HR does nothing and do not even do their main job properly except pursue employees for the smallest thing.

There is little to no communication when people leave why they leave and no one wonders why half a team departs at the same time.

PLEASE DO NOT APPLY THERE FOR YOUR OWN SANITY
Sleeping quarters is pretty much comfortable
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shaw Boulevard21 January 2019
Fun and exciting for every account that I worked for. Lots of incentives that we received for every challenge like selling products. Exciting in the sense of production activities.
Pros
There are sometimes free lunch and freebies for every seminars attended.
Cons
Overtime pay
It probably won't kill you?
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 January 2019
If you would like to get up in the morning to receive abuse from strangers for something you have no control over from early morning to late afternoon, and get paid peanuts to do so, work at Sykes.

Significantly impacted my physical and mental health. Was ridiculed and bullied by some coworkers for being "too weak". Was not given enough time off to see a doctor about the work related issues that arose, and this was something that happened to many of my colleagues as well. We were often coerced into working despite being very ill, by threats of official warnings, repeated HR meetings, and very restricted sick leave. The entire floor was often sick and losing their voices as we were constantly infecting each other.

Management sent out emails around christmas threatening to revoke sick pay and reduce holidays for anyone who took time off in December/January.

Generally felt like a prisoner.
Pros
Kept me from starving, terrible work environment created some close bonds between workers
Cons
Everything else
learn to work
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 December 2018
Good place to work when you arrive to UK, it opens doors for career step up. It depends on the client you work for, be careful with the team and following management rules.
my comfort zone, my second home
Inbound Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  WCC Shaw Blvd13 December 2018
Working with Sykes for more than 7 yrs opened alot of opportunities to me. There are some good memories working with this company. I learned to value my work because the success and high salary will depend on me.THe working environment is so cool, it has a pleasant surroundings, the maintenance is very accomodating. The security team is so reliable, They use all the latest technology. The hardest part I experienced working with Sykes is, it is too far from my hometown, and I used to go home every restdays, thats why it became my second home. The most enjoyable part of my job there is when they provide Overtime work with $10/hr, it lasts for more than 5 months and even if it is so tiring working more than 16 hours including reg shift, its worth it because we get to recieve a high pay including OT incentives.
Pros
free wifi, comfortable sleeping quarters, unlimited coffee
Cons
poor management
Electrics
Electrician (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 December 2018
Well this was a good job because It was a friend that I was working with who took me to London in the van every morning and back but yeah it was a really good experience I enjoyed it alot and it was really different to house work as in London it's commercial work so all the stuff you work on is all different and much bigger like the cables are much bigger and thicker as more power has to run through so it's alot harder to work on.
Pros
We normally just go somewhere for lunch at around 12ish
Cons
12 hours
Ambiente de trabajo divertido y profesional
ADMINISTRATIVA EN SERVICIO AL CLIENTE CITIBANK (Former Employee) –  Edinburgo, Escocia, UK20 November 2018
Es un trabajo muy interesante para gente sociable y que le guste trabajar en equipo.
Pros
Mejorar en habilidades e idiomas
Cons
Mucha presión y estrés
Learning a new kind of career
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sighthill, City of Edinburgh19 November 2018
I haven't been with Sykes for a long period of time and therefore can't really give a full review. Been there just over a week and enjoy the training, the people and learning about brands I have never heard of before.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Distance to travel
I enjoyed wotking with SYKES
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  shaw boulevard24 October 2018
My typical day at work was that i want my day to become productive,and what I learned most is that how to really collect with out the help from my Bosses and my colleagues,.My workplace culture is that i wanted to have it with a sense at all..While, the hardest part of the job was that when the client wanted to pay and when things are okay they will ask for a big discount so the computation will make a difference so we have to recompute it once more..Whilst, the most enjoyable part of the job is that you will have the chance to enjoy the happiest moment in your life since collection is really my forte,,
Pros
would be the love of being a collector
Cons
cons would be the discounts that clients would ask for
good
csr (Former Employee) –  shaw14 September 2018
good in salary and job giver consistent in salaries and pro agent in narture. i reccomend it to the new agents who need experience and stabilty of career
good
Cons
low salary
Not recommended
Customer Service Advisor (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh30 August 2018
The position had been described as Customer Service Advisor with one foreign language but at the end of the training I was informed it's in fact British Customer Service Advisor + Customer Service Advisor with the foreign language when needed (on a rare occasion). I wouldn't mind that but had not been told so before. Also the remuneration should correspond to using two different language lines on a daily basis, but it doesn't (roughly couple hundred pounds a year more than English native speakers). In addition working hours changed. The company told us this language team works 9 to 5.30 without mentioning the necessity to work on two language lines. I have talked to a number of colleagues and it seems like the company misinforms the candidates on purpose to avoid diminishing its chances to hire the additional number of foreign empoyees (once they accept the offer and start the training, it's difficult to quit) as employees come and go all the time. Support from the TL to resolve the problem next to none. The company's response and actions highly disappointing.Would not recommend to anyone
Pros
parking, good training
Cons
general misinformation, salary, hours, management
Training insufficient that makes you feel stressed in the process.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh3 July 2018
After the first 1 week of doing nothing there but just listening to some online modules totally irrelevant with the subject you work on, they will put you on the phone as they need asap agents.It made me feel stressed and confused.Not nice way to start as I felt unable to help customers and do my job properly.
Pros
1 hour break on 8hour shift(used to have just 30 in my previous job)
Cons
Bad training, supervisors are for decoration instead of help and support
recreational area, gaming room
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Sykes Shaw 50013 June 2018
Night and day shift flexible schedule i learned the most of multi tasking can i can work on holidays, A friendly environment people are easy to work with.
Good to gain experience, but very stressful
Communicator Ascensia (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh12 June 2018
A typical day at work would include recording orders, answering calls to very angry and upset costumers, and answering calls to another line of patients.
I was in a Client called Ascensia, and the quality of your work was dependant to the country you were working for. Each country had different needs and problems, and while some of the agents were lucky to receive a few calls a day, other teams were really busy. However, management in Sykes would not do anything to make up for this difference, and would argue that some teams were just more busy than others.
Management was really poor as they didn't even know the real problems in each team (and did not seem to care either), and many of them were not even well-qualified, as they had been promoted from agents to team leaders simply for being some months working there (and favouritism).
To sum up, although it is a good opportunity to start a career in a costumer service environment, mostly for people coming from another country and struggling to find a job, it will end up being a stressful job with no future opportunities for improvement and no good management to support you.
Pros
Good salary if you are new to the UK
Cons
Everything else
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shaw15 May 2018
Good benefits and people are so amazing to work with.In terms of social activities, Sykes is so active and making sure that their employees are having a relax time. You can never say any negative thins on Sykes. Working at Sykes is such an achievement.
A fun and tiring work
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Shaw bou;evard14 May 2018
A typical day at work is when you need to find a cubicle that is vacant.

I learned that you need to adapt more with your work place and workmates and you need to be respect your workplace.

The management is good because the prioritize the welfare of their People.

The hardest part of the Job is when there is a customer that is unruly and he/she wants to do is cannot be done.

The Most Enjoyable part of the Job is when you make a customer happy and you know that you did your best to hear them smile like that.
Pros
Free Pizza and free stabs for lunch
Cons
they need someone to extend there time
Typical Day
Agent (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh12 April 2018
Decent working environment.Was not the best of places in terms of acception other cultures. unfair working conditons. Would be ideal if they took other factors into consideration.
Do not go above and beyond
Customer Service Supervisor - Europe (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 March 2018
An overall good experience working for Sykes, although, unfortunately, management is often picked among people with higher retainability, with neither education nor prospective for the future. Micromanagement is common, and as long as KPIs are met, there is very little room for ideas that can go above and beyond.
Pros
Excellent environment
Cons
You need to ask permission to go use the services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K