Swindon Borough Council Employee Reviews

Typical public sector.
Senior Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire6 October 2018
Worked here for 2.5 years after years in the private sector. Not a pleasant experience. Typical public sector & local authority culture. Slow moving, lazy working environment with managers turning a blind eye to unprofessional behaviour (eg: poor performance, absenteeism, abuse of flexi-time & sick leave). A lot of employees live outside the Borough, openly despise Swindon and have little interest in the impact their work has on the town and it's residents. Pay & conditions are ok, but if you like to be productive at work then this place is not for you.
Pros
Town centre location. Free parking. Final salary pension scheme.
Cons
Lazy working environment. Poor management.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire30 July 2018
One of the better company's to work for in Swindon very staff orientated . Provide convenient staff parking nice working environment . I learned some valuable skills here which helped me in my future job hunt .
Pros
Free Parking
fun workspace
Admin role (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire1 June 2018
Good experience, general admin work fun environment. contact with clients daily was refreshing and nice to build relationships with clients and help them achieve there goals
One of the best jobs ever
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon23 March 2018
A typical day would be food prep , making ,baking desserts , and food service .Followed by washing up , and cleaning the kitchen ready for the next day.
I did an NVQ 2 in food hygiene , prep and service .
Working in a Primary School there were just 3 of us working , my manageress was lovely , helpful , supportive and a great teacher .
The hardest part of the job was trying not to eat too many deserts . the most enjoyable part of the job was the cooking/baking as i loved it , and all those little sweet faces of the children at service enjoying the food .
Pros
Satisfaction of seeing empty plates and happy fed children .
Cons
Keeping the weight down .
Love my job
Hub Manager (Current Employee) –  Swindon12 March 2018
I manage a team of seven staff on a referral triage, information and advice service for Public Health. I enjoy having flexibility in my role and being able to develop areas to promote health and wellbeing.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Job security
Poor Management
Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire21 February 2018
Very poor management, job is good when out and about but absolutely no support from manager if there is an incident. Management in this area is the worst I have ever worked for. Other enforcement officers talk behind your back some are lazy and are only there for the money.
Pros
Meeting the public
Cons
Department needs new management
Short staffed
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire30 January 2018
Carers short staffed. residents left alone for hours. Services users not able to be spoken to in their native language. Manage does not interact with staff or service users.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Manager
loved my job but sadly got made redundant
sevenfieilds primary school (Former Employee) –  cooking assistant2 November 2017
Loved working in a single school providing school dinners for the disability children and the mainstream school very rewarding like absolutely loved working here
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
I loved all of it
Terrible Work Place
Call Centre Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swindon25 October 2017
Horrible People, only care about their numbers and not the workers. they push their workers to much making them hate their job. need more staff not enough staff to help the customers
good company
reablement assistant (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire10 October 2017
good company to work for good pay, good pension and benefits .No progression though.A good job that see people progress and regain there lives back after a accident or injury.not much training and development though so this is the biggest down part of job.
Good job, good people, Shame about the poor pay
Gas Engineer (Former Employee) –  Swindon24 September 2017
A good company to work for lots of good people around making for a good working environment. Unfortunately the pay was so low most engineers leave to try earn a reasonable living.
Pros
Easy life
Cons
Poor pay lowest in the country
Fab special needs school
SEN Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire13 September 2017
I worked in a class with young people with autism.
Was a very rewarding job but also very tiring at times.
The school is a pretty special place to work.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Tiring and not great salary
A relaxed and managable work experience including 8 hour days work of repair and installation.
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire20 July 2017
The usual day when working for the council was 70% driving to the destination, 30% doing the job given, a lot of the time an alarm or lighting system was faulty or simply needed replacing, these take around five minutes maximum. Though, every now and then there is a job that may take thirty minutes to an hour or so. Doing this job, you learn a lot about the real world of electronic maintenance, every job is different from the previous, even if just by a little.
Excellent work environment
Leisure Building and Assets Manager (Former Employee) –  Swindon20 July 2017
I enjoyed my time working in the public sector. The salary was good and pension benefits excellent. I had good opportunity to develop and always had good managers to work for. The pressure was high to perform well.
Pros
Excellent colleagues
Cons
Work was good, hours were as you needed to complete the job.
Busy, with some rewards.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire24 May 2017
Like many employers this has its pro and cons:
- The pros are the opportunities to train and develop and to be a part of a big team pulling together.
- The cons are the bureaucracy and sometimes the lack of support from the management.
However, overall there are a lot of benefits and these outweigh the negatives.
Couldn't Organise a Drinking Session in a Brewery!
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire12 May 2017
Dreadful place to work! Social Services are so unorganised unfriendly and so so rude! Worst mistake of my life in joining their team, made me feel low and not good for home life.
Pros
Can't think!
Cons
Rude
Productive and fun
bin man (Former Employee) –  Swindon4 May 2017
Swindon council was a good job very hard work lots of running and have to be quick. This job keeps you fit, work with great people. Your always on the move.
Pros
Breaks when you want
Cons
Lots of running
A very busy place to work
(SBC) as a Business Operations Planner (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 April 2017
I had to manage the council workers under my team and ensure they were aware of all jobs they had to complete that day. Most of the other time was on the phone trying to sort out the tenants issues and problems with their building.
care
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire2 April 2017
I work in care for a long time.What i enjoy the most is the client recognize me ,want me and thank me for my kindness and dedication.
we do need to be patience at time and maintain confidentiality. love to share and helping my work colleagues with a smile and thank them for there help and effort.
but most of the time we work under staff ,fell pressure to meet targets and forget that the most important thing that we are there for is to care and support the life of the individuals that are unique and deserve to be value for there life.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire22 March 2017
Working for Swindon Borough Council was good, various benefits available including discounted airport parking and gym membership. Management did a great job.
Benefits
Cons
Not really high wages