Swindon Borough Council

Swindon Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom67 reviews
Fantastic manager
Working for SBC was very quick paste work place, there was a lot of written work to do. I though as my title said outreach officer i would be working with people face to face on everyday basics, however i had so much paper work that it wasn't always possible.
However i had very supportive and helpful manger and great team, over all i have really enjoyed my experience at SBC and would recommend as a good place to work.
Great team
Worked in school for excluded and vulnerable children for 13 years. Great team fair pay good training.
Enjoyed working with my colleagues. Felt we had a purpose and made a difference.
supportive and fun place to work
Swindon Borough council are an amazing company to work for. My management are very supportive and caring and they will help you in all situations as much as possible.
Relaxed workplace, flexi time
Swindon Borough Council is a great place to work, friendly and relaxed with a modern open office approach. Flexi time is useful for a work - life balance.
Pros
Dress down Friday, Flexi Time Canteen on site
Building independent futures senior suplort
Most stressful place i worked for, unprofessional. He said she said culture, any problems then dont go to management. Very long hours, if ur face don't fit then your shifts you will be on are bad. Disorganised, and any idea syou have then prepare not to be listened to
My opinion
Great job if you enjoy giving back to the community. Saddly Managed by buffoons. The top management positions in the area I worked came over as incompetent and genuinely no real experience or understanding of departments they ran. If the rest of the council was run like this it's little wonder it finds itself in financial trouble. Also alot of deadwood in the work fffforce.through
Fun work environment
Enjoyable fun job to environment to work in always felt welcomed. the culture is welcoming as well as a hard working environment, colleagues always wanting to see other members succeed
stressfull
to stressful after few weeks u notice how u chnage u allways tired moody because they dont treat you like human ive stuck at as long as i can but its starting to get much for me and we need more money we get poo when it comes to money and then its are fault when we can buy stuff to make working better allways having someone up your butt
Pros
early finish
Cons
treated rubbish and alot of walking/running
Interesting
Rewarding and frustrating, you will work with alot of committed people, constantchanges, budget cuts, but you will work with some amazing people who will do their best
Ejoyable job!
SEND Minibus driver, employed on a casual , short term basis!
I really enjoyed this job, great set of guys to work with in a relaxed and helpful environment! It was only a short term employment, and it did come to an end too soon for my part!
Good company to work for
Enjoyed my time with them, in home management lacking enthusiasm, never had any problems with wages, holidays etc, looked after staff very well, good to work for.
Poor management, worse organisaton.
This was the worst organisation that I have worked for in 28 years, two thirds of the managers are very poor, bullying and self serving, examples are managers stopping staff from taking holiday time off and then taking those same days off themselves, you can always tell when the managers are asking you to do something that is immoral, unethical or down right breaking the law (employment law as well as what ever regulations you are working under) by they way you are asked to do it, for example face to face (with no witnesses or like minded managers as their evidence) or phone calls and if you chased them up via emails, so that you have documentary evidence to support yourself if it goes wrong when you are left holding the blame, they refuse to acknowledge these emails. Giving out edicts and other rules of work and then they do not lead by example but just chastise, bully and dump more work onto those that question the hypocrisy or those they dislike in the hope that they quit, after a few months you can recognise the pattern and who are the managers friends and favourites, that will be those with the lowest workload but the highest praise.

When staff do quit, the organisation just use the excuse that the job is not for everyone, which I found particularly galling as I have had management positions with more staff and did a number of jobs over the years that where mentally, physically and emotionally challenging and the reason I quit and most people quit their jobs, is not the job they do but the poor management and poor treatment by really bad managers

The organisation
 - more...
Terrible
Inexperienced self serving management (nice people though), avoided what needed to be addressed and unsupportive to staff. I often wondered who was running the place. The culture was so bad it’s put me off working with special needs which I’ve done for over 25 years. The staff were amazing, the service users were happy and well taken care of by them but unable to do their jobs properly due to politics! It’s the shortest time I’ve ever been in a job! The staff turn over is insane.
Pros
Annual leave and pension
Cons
Structure and management
Fun, productive and progressive employer
Brilliant employer with lots of benefits, support development opportunities
They are inclusive and progressive and empower the staff to work independantly with minimal support unless it is required or requested.

They encourage staff autonomy and have a superbly progressive equal opportunities initiative.

Highly recommended as an employer.
Awful place to work!!!
Management are a joke who don’t care about employees. So many of my colleagues were signed off sick with depression because they just expect so much and give nothing back. They actively deny any development and don’t support you. Please be cautious if you choose to work for Swindon Borough Council as the chances of you being appreciate is low, the salary is also very low and there are often budget cuts!

Just awful one of the worst places I’ve ever worked.
Pros
Hour for lunch. Some nice training courses
Cons
No support no development too much politics low low salary
A badly run circus
Senior management is a joke, It's a club - great if you are in the in crowd (where incompetence, tardiness and laziness are rewarded), but if your aren't one of the favoured ones you'll be mismanaged, overburdened and shunned until you leave.

VERY unprofessional HR management - discussing your personal details openly with other staff members,

Terrible IT systems and management, are a constant frustration, The Council members are rude and dismissive, and incapable of doing anything worthwhile as they are just preserving their own positions.

The culture tends to be one of 'that can't be done, 'we tried that once but...' or ' not my job...' and so it's very tiring trying to achieve anything,if you stay you'll probably end up giving up and becoming part of the problem.

There are some good people, but also plenty of politicking, conniving and awkward people right from the bottom to the very top. Facilitating functions are dreadful, IT and HR in particular. HR are just there to protect the organisation, don't trust them or rely upon impartiality.

Management have no real interest or understanding in the actual work, they just want to tick the box and look good so they get a pat on the head and stay in the club. They are the yes men and you are the one that has to put their badly though out (if indeed any thought has gone into it) and unreasonable plans into action.

They are happy to short change you on wages but bring in 'buddy' consultants on mega bucks to do their jobs for them - usually just as badly.

If you can find ANYTHING else, ANYWHERE else - save
 - more...
Pros
Okay on flexible working - they have to be.
Cons
AWFUL culture, unrealistic expectations and pay as low as they can hammer you down to.
fun work place lots of events
2007 to 2017 as Swindon borough let go of its sports outlets I was
moved internally to the steam railway museum as general museum

assistant - sales assistant - events team and cleaning team - general

all rounder - every day was enjoyable and most of the staff were easy

to get along with - sometimes the physical labour was hard and the

hours long as it was in the other centres - most enjoyable part of the

job was dealing with the public at the many events = I am a people

person and enjoyed the interaction.
Awful culture with poor management
Bullying managment who bury their heads in the sand and blame employees and use them as scapegoats.
Discriminative employers.

Nepotism at it's best - if you're related or friendly with managers or members then you'll get a job or go far!
Pros
Brilliant job, best I've ever had
I worked on 2 SBC projects to encourage the use of public transport, cycling and buses, plus encouraging the use of leisure facilities in the town and health options. I worked in a number of areas of the town, in a team of 10 people, working door to door and at events around the town. Very stimulating, an excellent, friendly manager and friendly team who got on extremely well. Never wanted to leave, but the scheme wasn't going on forever.
Pros
Working in a very friendly team, meeting numerous people, the boss
Cons
Working on Saturdays (I love my football)!
Typical public sector.
Worked here for 2.5 years after years in the private sector. Not a pleasant experience. Typical public sector & local authority culture. Slow moving, lazy working environment with managers turning a blind eye to unprofessional behaviour (eg: poor performance, absenteeism, abuse of flexi-time & sick leave). A lot of employees live outside the Borough, openly despise Swindon and have little interest in the impact their work has on the town and it's residents. Pay & conditions are ok, but if you like to be productive at work then this place is not for you.
Pros
Town centre location. Free parking. Final salary pension scheme.
Cons
Lazy working environment. Poor management.
One of the better company's to work for in Swindon very staff orientated . Provide convenient staff parking nice working environment . I learned some valuable skills here which helped me in my future job hunt .
Pros
Free Parking
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swindon Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9