SWANSEA COUNCIL

SWANSEA COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom21 reviews
Not very well led by management
Since joining the council, the department manager has not asked how I am doing and does not seem to care.

My line manager ignores my experience, knowledge and qualifications and likes to micro-manage my time at every opportunity.
Really good
I was a temporary worker for 7 years and really enjoyed it, the work was hard but everyone I worked with were really hard working people and very helpful. I was treated very fairly and other members of staff were very respectfully.
Was also given all the rite PPE and training
It was what i expected
I was told it would be at least 2 months work but was only given 2 weeks as unfortunately the line i was working on was closed however i enjoyed my job and the company of the peaple i worked with
apprentice plasterer
trades men are easy to get along with and work is always there, there's loads of courses opportunity at the council, things that let the council down is bad management, some of them don't know what they are talking about, and wouldnt know how to organise a night out in a brewy, there's alot of discrimination going on, management only look at the bad in certain people, and favourites who they want,
Swansea council waste operative
Where do I start... Very early starts very long days for very little pay! They treat you like dogs have zero common sense when it comes to management they are on your backs every single day! If you have a query about something you won't be listened to. They don't run things correctly and won't listen to good advice they make the job ten times harder when they can make things ten times easier! In all my working life swansea council has to be the worst place I've ever worked! Never again!
Pros
None seriously none..
Cons
Everything there is genuinely nothing good about swansea council!
Swansea city council
Gardening cleaning all garden cutting the grass and hedges making sure the garden are tidy parks watering the plants in the city centre and all local businesses
cleaner
No structured routine, sometimes rooms were inaccessible as they were used after hours, so had to wait for kids to get out before I could go in and clean. this means I was under needless time pressure to get work done as quickly as possible to finish on time.
Vacancies
Accessible to current job vacancies.
Accessible on line or by telephone. Training offered when required. Staff discount card available. Pension offered.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SWANSEA COUNCIL?
gym instructor
great occupation as i got to work with a lot of different at risk groups and quickly gained a lot of professional and social skills in dealing with every type of customer and all individuals.
Pros
very active role
Cons
no career potential
Productive and good workplace
A day at my job for swansea council was very well organised and a nice place to work. All the people i met were very friendly and helped me out a lot when i started.
Good employer on the whole
Public sector ethos.
Good wage structure with incremental rises per grade.

Potential financial support for educational courses.

Employs around 10 thousand employees in diverse areas.
Pros
Regular wage
Cons
On occasion promotion opportunities limited
Primary school cleaner
Terrible job. I had a particularly bad, dishonest supervisor at Trawlln school. She was deceptive, manipulative, and eventually got me out of work for character reasons.
Pros
Cons
Tedious job, looked down upon
working for the councile
started in the moring done bin loading had a good laugh with the lads it was a very fast pace work but i liked it the hardest part off the job was walking but i liked it
Pros
moring starts
Cons
longs hours with i liked
Fun to work
Helped me settle in with good contacts and great support as I was new to the area, helped me with training and guidelines. Gave me vast experience with children who are disabled.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Non
good
good company to work for ,good job security ,company car or van , Felix time is possible, plenty of training available to change career if needed to be, good health care
Pros
local
Cons
n/a
Hard work
Hard work very offten got wet and damp, learned a lot about setting out builds and roadworks, drainage. Managment ok good communication skills. Enjoyed most days ther as the new builds took shape and being part of a team was rewarding.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Wet weather
Good job, bad management
Good job, involved me in answering telephone calls, dealing with queries, typing, minute taking, inputting data into a computer by using various data bases. The training is quite good. Management do not treat everyone alike which is bad. Dept very cliquey so opportunities for advancement quite low if not in a clique. There has been bullying over last few years when budgets were cut. Moral quite low due to this. Good things include flexible working, although sometimes hard to get time off when needed, this again due to reduction in staff levels. Pay is quite good. Most enjoyable part of job was the variety. Hardest part was dealing with poor inconsistent and biased managers.
Pros
Pay
Poor management
Very poor managers cause low moral which has got worse over past few years.No support when needed. Pay ok but can be higher in private firms. Co-workers friendly enough.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
poor support
productive and busy
I real enjoyed working for the council I was a hard worker
but due to the work i was moved around units to work in those

areas. I would like to work again there I left due to seasonal work.
Pros
own lunch
Cons
good hours
Hit and Miss
Some excellent teams, but many departments suffering from stagnation and low moral
Pros
Local area
Cons
Poor management and team moral
Great organisation to work for.
Friendly staff.

Canteen on site.

Penllergaer offices are surrounded by beautiful woods.

Easy access from M4.
Pros
canteen, friendly staff
Cons
car park charges