Sustrans Employee Reviews

Rubbish
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh23 June 2019
Stay away from here the fund raising manager is rubbish tell you one thing does another thing!! Broken promises talk of bonuses but never got them got let go because I asked to many questions on why thing we where promised where not happing
Pros
Non
Cons
Rubbish
Positive, creative, nurturing
Bike It Offcer (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire31 May 2018
Had a wonderful time! Salary not the highest, but a really good feeling to be working for something so important in an atmosphere of creativity and openness.
Pros
Lots of creative people to work with.
Cons
Hard to find an equally attractive job when the funding ran out for my post in Stoke-on-Trent
Team focused on Charity's ojectives
Management Accountant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Bristol City Centre, Bristol27 February 2018
Team focused on Charity's objectives in all UK countries nice offices in the centre of Bristol, very cycle/cyclist focused as you'd expect, looking to increase influence at Westminster
productive and fun
Bike Mechanic and tail leader (Former Employee) –  Blyth5 January 2017
Down side it was volunteering work so completely unpaid. Upside is rising and maintaining fitness as well as getting to meet new faces plus working in schools so fully crb checked.
Pros
free lunch.. loan bike while i volunteered
Cons
unpaid work
A leading UK Sustainable transport charity
Active travel officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne19 September 2016
Sustrans was a brilliant place to work. Fantastic people all very passionate about sustainable travel and showing true commitment in their work to get people to use the car less and care more about the environment. It was a real joy to work there mostly. Sustrans get alot of their funding from different pots of money from central and regional government and senior management try their hardest to secure it for their staff to continue in some of their finite roles. Also like all charities they have a funding arm - and will employ staff to raise funds on the National Cycle Network (NCN) one of the many thousands of miles of network cycle footpaths created by Sustrans across the country for people to use. A typical day as a "Bike it officer" or Active Travel officer as it is was later known will be planning cycling and active travel events in a community and school setting and occasionally at the Newcastle office doing admin and data input on information on frequency of cycle use / walking around these locations you visit to encourage sustainable travel. The hardest part is getting people to support you in your work - i.e. teachers and managers who are extremely busy (you cant blame them!) - this can be a little frustrating. The best part is everything else - it is a truely inspirational role getting people fit and healthy of all ages to learn and cycle. You will learn alot and learn to lead. Often working alone and supporting volunteers whilst running activities in schools and community centres. This all makes you a stronger more positive person. Sustrans vision is "A  more... world in which people choose to travel in ways that benefit their health and the environment" It shows true by all the great staff that have worked there over the years.  less
Pros
Flexible working, Fantastic colleagues, Passionate staff, great work environment
Cons
No job security
Productive & Fun Workplace
Charity Worker (Former Employee) –  Southampton2 June 2016
It was great. I got to do data input all day, a special privilege which I'm truly grateful for.

A typical day at work would involve data input. I learned nothing. The management was hopeless. The data system was a shambles.

I had no co-workers. The hardest part of the job was getting my lunch expenses paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was working in the council offices, an interesting experience.
Sad times for a supposed charity
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  York12 April 2016
It proved interesting to see where your donated money goes and is spent, my donating days are over, for Sustrans atleast..

The work life balance is good but the pressure to meet to targets is severe and termination of employment is instant, with no warning or appeals procedure. This may seem acceptable but when fundraising is not possible due to poor weather seems unfair.

They lack compassion and operate worse than a typical corporation, be careful not become ill or have family matters to attend to as this is classified as 'unaaceptable', even if only two weeks!

They are clearly struggling for staff in some areas as people have become wise to their less than kind ways, maybe the upcoming management change will help but I remain cynical as cost cutting is a focus.
Pros
Flexible hours weather permitting
Cons
No guaranteed shifts, poor management
I enjoyed it
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Barnsley26 March 2016
Working for Sustrans at the moment plenty of fresh air meeting a lot of really nice people out and about in adverse weather conditions also working with local authorities there are some great people that work there as well some nice some not some even grumpy and lazy me i got stuck in and did my work and enjoyed it
Interés por el desarrollo de sus trabajadores
Ingeniero Civil - Carreteras y Urbanismo (Current Employee) –  London20 February 2016
Es destacable el empeño de la empresa por mantener un alto nivel de bienestar para sus trabajadores. Facilidades para el desarrollo profesional y personal.
Es lo que hace que la empresa esté creciendo rápidamente
Fun work place.
In House Fundraiser Team Leader (Current Employee) –  London19 October 2015
Great for meeting new people and is very rewarding. Talking to cyclists to keep them up to date with current Sustrans projects and ultimately trying to inspire them to become supporters.
Pros
Working all over London.
Cons
Target based.
productive and fun workplace
assistant (Former Employee) –  Redcar, ENG19 September 2015
A typical day at work would be to come in the morning then I would have research work on the internet to do. Help out carrying equipment from one place to another. What I learned from the job was mainly organizational skills and communication skills. My co-workers were friendly and nice they offer me tea or coffee in the morning and afternoon when they don't work doing. The hardest part of the job was getting to the workplace on time as I needed to get busses. The most enjoyable part of the job was they have events arranged that I attended to in the event they have bike race, snacks and more.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hourse
Fantastic work ethos with a level of flexibility and understanding that I've never experienced before!
SUSTRANS IN-HOUSE FUNDRAISER (Current Employee) –  Nottingham1 October 2014
Cycle to work to chosen location.
Set up and approach cyclist to talk and promote and hopefully gain their interest enough to make a monthly contribution.
Need to have a strong mind and cope with knock backs!
I have met the most amazing people doing this work.
Pros
flexibility & working outside
Cons
weekends
Exciting and active work
Charity worker (Former Employee) –  York - England6 June 2014
This job was brilliant for me. It involved cycling to various points in York, this could take anything from 5 minutes to 50 minutes. Once there we would have to put our signs up and talk to people about cycling and try and make them become a member. The training I had from Sustrans covered this easily and helped me converse with potential members for Sustrans easily.
Pros
Meeting other passionate cyclists and travelling
Cons
Unhappy cyclists that were sometimes unreasonable.
Good but lacks security
Charity Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG27 February 2014
Good to work for and goals are great, typical day requires speaking to the public and gaining supporters via monthly donations. Part time hours means only 3-4 hours per day, great for the summer but because its all outside work if it rains then we do not work which in turn means we do not earn! Hardest part is keeping motivated with the cons out-weighing the pros, but the good parts of the job is meeting new people and having great co workers. Higher management do zero preparation thus leaving a big impact in the team.
Pros
Meeting new people, good hourly rate
Cons
No job Security and uncertain weekly wages due to weather
Fun workplace
Ground worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon24 January 2014
Enjoyed being active and working on the dumpers moving gravel to and from
Pros
Free lunchies and meeting new people
Senior Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle23 December 2013
Busy regeneration consultancy environment working on a wide range of assignments
Sustrans Team Coordinator
Team coordinator (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ENG21 November 2013
During this role I was responsible for training and coordinating a team of fundraisers in Exeter and Barnstaple. I gained experience, fundraising, interacting with the public and engaging with members of the public.
The role offered me managerial experience and huge opportunity for personal development. The charity I worked for were supportive and treated their employers with respect and integrity. I would thoroughly recommend this role.