Sustrans

Sustrans Employee Reviews

United Kingdom21 reviews
I would love to work back with them, unfortunately I no longer live in Bristol and could not justify the commute.
It has been a long time, I don't know if they offer remote working
The charity prides itself on boosting cycling and increasing sustainable transport methods. But, the charity wastes good money constantly. The staff were mainly obnoxious and not welcoming, with significant cliques
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
The rest!
This role, based in various locations in Glasgow and Edinburgh would consist of cycling to the location, positioning myself on the route, speaking with cyclists and people using the NCN and informing them of the history, the locations and the future development of the routes. I would engage with the public, raising the profile of the organisation and signing up new members.
I done about 18 months of volunteering and they were 18 months well spent. They paid for my bike mechanic qualifications and I gained some valuable lessons there. I worked in the stockton on tees branch called 'The HUB' and I cant speak highly enough of them. They have a brilliant team and the staff are very knowledgable and helpful. If there is a position you should apply. It's a good choice
Stay away from here the fund raising manager is rubbish tell you one thing does another thing!! Broken promises talk of bonuses but never got them got let go because I asked to many questions on why thing we where promised where not happing
Pros
Non
Cons
Rubbish
Had a wonderful time! Salary not the highest, but a really good feeling to be working for something so important in an atmosphere of creativity and openness.
Pros
Lots of creative people to work with.
Cons
Hard to find an equally attractive job when the funding ran out for my post in Stoke-on-Trent
Team focused on Charity's objectives in all UK countries nice offices in the centre of Bristol, very cycle/cyclist focused as you'd expect, looking to increase influence at Westminster
Down side it was volunteering work so completely unpaid. Upside is rising and maintaining fitness as well as getting to meet new faces plus working in schools so fully crb checked.
Pros
free lunch.. loan bike while i volunteered
Cons
unpaid work
Sustrans was a brilliant place to work. Fantastic people all very passionate about sustainable travel and showing true commitment in their work to get people to use the car less and care more about the environment. It was a real joy to work there mostly. Sustrans get alot of their funding from different pots of money from central and regional government and senior management try their hardest to secure it for their staff to continue in some of their finite roles. Also like all charities they have a funding arm - and will employ staff to raise funds on the National Cycle Network (NCN) one of the many thousands of miles of network cycle footpaths created by Sustrans across the country for people to use. A typical day as a "Bike it officer" or Active Travel officer as it is was later known will be planning cycling and active travel events in a community and school setting and occasionally at the Newcastle office doing admin and data input on information on frequency of cycle use / walking around these locations you visit to encourage sustainable travel. The hardest part is getting people to support you in your work - i.e. teachers and managers who are extremely busy (you cant blame them!) - this can be a little frustrating. The best part is everything else - it is a truely inspirational role getting people fit and healthy of all ages to learn and cycle. You will learn alot and learn to lead. Often working alone and supporting volunteers whilst running activities in schools and community centres. This all makes you a stronger more positive person. Sustrans vision is "A - more...
Pros
Flexible working, Fantastic colleagues, Passionate staff, great work environment
Cons
No job security
It was great. I got to do data input all day, a special privilege which I'm truly grateful for.

A typical day at work would involve data input. I learned nothing. The management was hopeless. The data system was a shambles.

I had no co-workers. The hardest part of the job was getting my lunch expenses paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was working in the council offices, an interesting experience.
It proved interesting to see where your donated money goes and is spent, my donating days are over, for Sustrans atleast..

The work life balance is good but the pressure to meet to targets is severe and termination of employment is instant, with no warning or appeals procedure. This may seem acceptable but when fundraising is not possible due to poor weather seems unfair.

They lack compassion and operate worse than a typical corporation, be careful not become ill or have family matters to attend to as this is classified as 'unaaceptable', even if only two weeks!

They are clearly struggling for staff in some areas as people have become wise to their less than kind ways, maybe the upcoming management change will help but I remain cynical as cost cutting is a focus.
Pros
Flexible hours weather permitting
Cons
No guaranteed shifts, poor management
Working for Sustrans at the moment plenty of fresh air meeting a lot of really nice people out and about in adverse weather conditions also working with local authorities there are some great people that work there as well some nice some not some even grumpy and lazy me i got stuck in and did my work and enjoyed it
Es destacable el empeño de la empresa por mantener un alto nivel de bienestar para sus trabajadores. Facilidades para el desarrollo profesional y personal.
Es lo que hace que la empresa esté creciendo rápidamente
Great for meeting new people and is very rewarding. Talking to cyclists to keep them up to date with current Sustrans projects and ultimately trying to inspire them to become supporters.
Pros
Working all over London.
Cons
Target based.
A typical day at work would be to come in the morning then I would have research work on the internet to do. Help out carrying equipment from one place to another. What I learned from the job was mainly organizational skills and communication skills. My co-workers were friendly and nice they offer me tea or coffee in the morning and afternoon when they don't work doing. The hardest part of the job was getting to the workplace on time as I needed to get busses. The most enjoyable part of the job was they have events arranged that I attended to in the event they have bike race, snacks and more.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hourse
Cycle to work to chosen location.
Set up and approach cyclist to talk and promote and hopefully gain their interest enough to make a monthly contribution.

Need to have a strong mind and cope with knock backs!

I have met the most amazing people doing this work.
Pros
flexibility & working outside
Cons
weekends
This job was brilliant for me. It involved cycling to various points in York, this could take anything from 5 minutes to 50 minutes. Once there we would have to put our signs up and talk to people about cycling and try and make them become a member. The training I had from Sustrans covered this easily and helped me converse with potential members for Sustrans easily.
Pros
Meeting other passionate cyclists and travelling
Cons
Unhappy cyclists that were sometimes unreasonable.
Good to work for and goals are great, typical day requires speaking to the public and gaining supporters via monthly donations. Part time hours means only 3-4 hours per day, great for the summer but because its all outside work if it rains then we do not work which in turn means we do not earn! Hardest part is keeping motivated with the cons out-weighing the pros, but the good parts of the job is meeting new people and having great co workers. Higher management do zero preparation thus leaving a big impact in the team.
Pros
Meeting new people, good hourly rate
Cons
No job Security and uncertain weekly wages due to weather
Enjoyed being active and working on the dumpers moving gravel to and from
Pros
Free lunchies and meeting new people
Cons
Busy regeneration consultancy environment working on a wide range of assignments
During this role I was responsible for training and coordinating a team of fundraisers in Exeter and Barnstaple. I gained experience, fundraising, interacting with the public and engaging with members of the public.
The role offered me managerial experience and huge opportunity for personal development. The charity I worked for were supportive and treated their employers with respect and integrity. I would thoroughly recommend this role.