Sussex Police Employee Reviews

temp role
Planned Police Response Investigator (Former Employee) –  West Sussex3 November 2017
temp role with shifts which was the hardest part of the job. Had to train the permanent staff to do my role as it was a changeover of their processes.
Productive Workplace
Evidential Property Asst (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex30 October 2017
I spent 7 years working as a property clerk for sussex police, however when i was dismissed for ill health the support was lacking.
I did enjoy working with various departments over the years.
Professional Work Place
N/A (Current Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex6 October 2017
Good people and professional place to work. People doing a hard job under testing financial times. A good work life balance can be offered if you are flexi time.
Mostly good, but with its downsides
Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex27 September 2017
When I worked within the team most of the other team members were a lot older so I was always treated as the child. There was a lot of bullying going on through out the teams and I felt that this was never dealt with.
Pros
good money, good benefits
Cons
bullying and can be intimidating workplace
A very busy organisation
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex1 June 2017
A great organisation to work for currently hampered by outdated IT systems and buildings not necessarily fit for purpose.

The merger between two forces is clunky with processes that are very dissimilar.

Good team working and local workplace culture.
Pros
Good central location
Cons
sometimes unrealistic workloads and not enough trained staff
Overwhelming and invaluable
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  BRIGHTON, UK7 May 2017
I loved working for the force. I must say that I have grown a lot as person professionally and as individual. I found the whole experience invaluable and priceless. The skills and confidence i gain throughout the years I worked for the force gave me self worth and self esteem I didnt know I had. I met amazing team of professionals and management who hardly failed me.
Pros
vibrant and fast working enviroment
Cons
long hours, sometimes no brakes
interesting
Statement taker (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex30 March 2017
Working for Sussex Police as a statement taker involved using intelligence systems to check on individuals, making appointments to see witnesses and victims and obtaining detailed statements to assist Police Officers in their investigations of crime.Every day was different and sometimes challenging. I also seized and viewed CCTV for Police officers and assessing any evidential value.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Amazing environment to work in
Police Community Support Officer/LGBT Liaison (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove15 March 2017
I loved my time with Sussex Police, I found it a big happy family very supportive,
I can honestly say I felt valued and safe in my job,
Great bosses ... always encouraged and backed up.
Pros
Fairness and undestanding
Cons
no Cons
Stressful and fast paced environment
Radio Controller (Current Employee) –  Lewes, HQ11 February 2017
Every day at work is completely different. I have learnt to deal with rapidly changing circumstances in emergency situations, dealing effectively with the general public. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the emotional side when members of the public are reporting a crime. I especially enjoy working in a team.
Administration role
Staff Officers as appropriate (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex8 February 2017
A role that demands excellent attention to detail and concentration. A reasonably enjoyable place to work and great location.
One very small cog in a big wheel
Licensing Clerk/Admin (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex19 January 2017
I found it very challenging to integrate the public, police, council and courts to meet a given criteria. It was however rewarding to receive an application for a licence and see it through to the end.
Working for the Police provides immense job satisfaction
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Sussex22 December 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day, the work is varied providing opportunities to improve the lot of people in society by removing anti social and criminal elements thereby enhancing and enriching the lives of the decent law abiding public.
Pros
The job itself
Cons
Shift work can be problematic for some people.
A very productive and engaging job
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Worthing31 October 2016
The work experience placement with Sussex Police was very exciting and intense, as you don't know what will happen. A typical day at work was to engage with the general public and patrolling the local area with Police constables and Police community support officers. I learnt how Police officers operate in the local area and learnt how they deal with everyday problems. The most enjoyable part of the job, was to learn how Sussex Police operates in the local area and how they deal with everyday situations. Also it was interesting to engage with the public, as this is one of the key qualities that the Police expect their officers to do as much as possible.
Pros
Patrolling with Police officers
Cons
Varied work and long standing employer
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Crawley17 October 2016
Varied work , high pressure, unusual at times. Great teamwork and colleagues and high level of responsibility , organizing investigation's and workload. Prioritizing work to be done. Enjoy the varied investigations. The hardest part of the job is the frustrating politics and differing decisions made by others. Longstanding employer . Looking for new challenge and new career from October 2018 onward after retirement.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Rewarding
Contact Handler (Former Employee) –  Lewes14 October 2016
I had a great 7 years working as a Contact Handler. Lots of highs & lows as expected with the job role. Shift work was hard at times but you get over that. Made some life long friends.
Fun and supportive place to work
Process/Accident clerk (Former Employee) –  Crawley30 September 2016
Varied work
Learnt about court /police procedures and how to deal with different agencies.
Lots of different managers but all very supportive.
Interesting
Administrator (Current Employee) –  West Sussex22 September 2016
High pressured working environment and quite stressful at times. A lot expected from staff with few rewards. Most co-workers are hard working and care about their roles as they are very dedicated and want to provide a good service and make a difference to members of the public .
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
High Pressure
enjoyable
Volunteer Police Cadet (Former Employee) –  Worthing12 September 2016
being a cadet is very rewarding, we learnt lots of skills and information about working in the force and had the opportunity to help at various events
Best experience in self growth and development.
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Brighton30 August 2016
Shifts varied from 8-5pm, 10-6pm, 2-10pm, 3-12pm.I didnt mind this at all.
I have learnt deal with public in front line. Unique situations taught me to be spontaneous and innovative, creative and fast thinking. Often situations where very first experience therefore quick thinking and problem solving were skills very essential to learn and practice every day. No day was the same and not one person acted the same way again.I think i enjoyed this part of the job the most. First Aid course was crucial and essential,so radio communication. I didnt need to drive.I happened to have few sergeants while I was employed over several years but in all, I have adapted quite well and fast. I understood it that there were opportunities for some people to get on with their career progression an sometimes it was refreshing too. I didnt mind that at all. We were solid team with good relationships that were good all years along. We were looking out for one another and helped when it was needed. The hardest part of the job was the evening shifts or weekends, working in heat, rain or cold. But with the years one builds resilience which helps in private life too, so in all, good endurance experience from many points of view. Will power, problem solving, positive approach were all the attributes I can use in describing working for Sussex Police.
The best part of the job was meeting people in streets and asked all kind of questions which made me laugh. Some people were just awesome. I had fun.
Pros
Loyalty cards
Cons
Short breaks or no breaks at all.
Going through a very strange time
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove30 August 2016
The organisation is seeing through the most challenging cuts it has ever had to deal with, this has obviously caused massive change, some of which is great some of which is terrible.

There is now an investment in improved technology but too much of this is poorly thought out investment with a short life.

Motivation is starting to decrease as the salary in real terms is going down year on year and there appears to be some very attractive alternatives in the private sector with out the huge demands on social life.
Pros
Interesting and varied job
Cons
The work life balance does not exist, part time is offered but is frowned on. Lack of management support in most situations