Sussex Police

Sussex Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom85 reviews
Fast paced
No two days are the same. Shift work. Dynamic team environment. Effective management. Friendly staff. Diversity aware and practiced with a diverse culture and equality of sexes.
fast paced varied work
fast paced, varied workloads, team collaboration, independant working, public facing, management lacking, target driven, custody and office based environment
Bullying culture from Supervision and Line Management
Taking 101 and 999 calls from the public. Every call is different. No time to be bored! Really interesting calls
Training for this job role is excellent and very comprehensive. The trainers are patient and responsive. Trainers in no way reflect how you are treated by control room supervision be prepared to be micro managed and bullied.....
Pros
Good salary. Good home / work balance with 6 days on and 4 days off.
Cons
Bullying from Supervision and line management, impossible to get annual leave, micromanagement, humiliated for mistakes in front of colleagues, homophobic comments from supervision, ( yes really), favouritism.
Exciting but poor management
This job is rewarding and exhilarating. Every decision you make affects the people of Sussex. You are exposed to some difficult situations and stories however it is part and parcel of this job.

Management is very poor. There are zero people skills or emotional intelligence present. Police officers have no empathy or emotion and its very hard when having sensitive conversations
Pros
Helping people, rewarding
Cons
Poor management
Great culture in SBS
Great team and department. Entire department worked well together. Fantastic manager, extremely supportive and encouraging.

Such a shame my FTC had to end.
fast paced
Fast Paced, no 2 calls are the same. However, can be very disheartening as support from the higher management is null and void. Great team mates to work with though
Pros
pension
Cons
lack of structure
Good team work
Good team work
Training provided

Uniform provided

Help always on hand

Fast paced environment

Ongoing training

Supportive colleagues

Can move around departments fir redeployment
Pros
Support always on hand
Cons
Can be isolative each at times
Exhilarating yet stressful
When allowed to do your job and succeed the role is very rewarding as innocent people see justice for crimes against them.
Sadly the business management structure is very poor and short sighted.
good friendly place to work
Enjoyed spending time learning new skills and meeting new people. working for Sussex police gives you a new view on life and a new way of doing everything.
stressful, but rewarding
fast paced and exciting, shift working, which comes with pro's and cons, lots of staff turnover , but the ability to develop staff and to impart knowledge is great.
Great Team
Sussex Police are a great career option if you feel you can cope with the pace of a working life in the police. Friends for life with your colleagues
Challenging Environment
This job gives you the opportunity to diversify and allows you to be challenged on a daily basis. There is also the opportunity to move between departments and for promotion..
Pros
Organisational structure
Cons
Sifts and long hours
Been on the slide for a while
I'm in my tenth year with Sussex Police and like many public sector organisations, is on the slide.

Now in my second role, I enjoy the work but the department has suffered from very poor senior management.

Too many changes and not enough support to the staff carrying out the day to day work
Challenging & unrewarding
The Police Service is no longer a disciplined service. Staff are micro managed and the work is scrutinized . Salary is good but shifts take staff away from their families.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Shifts
Hard Work
Hours varied.
Not understanding of disabilities.

Lack of space to do your job.

Very demanding.

But very enjoyable role, dealing with Police officers of all ranks, SOCO, CID, and the public.
Cleaner
Was part time cleaning of offices toilets conference room for the chief constable

And cleaning for the finance department

The most enjoyable part of the job was job satisfaction
Pros
local at the timeand being able to produce good quality work
Sorry to be looking elsewhere
I love the job I do as a detective and I have loved working with the colleagues I currently have. But due to the austerity measures in recent years the job is not the same as it was when I joined. There are a lot less police officers but crime has not gone down. The work pressures are immense. I currently have 25 investigations and am frequently expected to work double shifts (7am to midnight). I will be very sorry to leave the role but I cannot continue to work these hours. It is affecting my health and family life.

I am prepared to work hard in a new role, with a better work-life balance.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Very long, unreasonable hours
Public service
A typical day involves responding to critical incidents and managing ongoing investigations. Staff carry a high workload and this has an impact on morale and performance.
Pros
Public service
Cons
Stressful
as above
enjoyable but shame so many government cuts which limits job security. Not much room for progression but the pay is good for the type of work. Management not so great
Enjoyable
Management was great, I learned a huge amount of things including things outside of my specified job area. Also there was a great onsite gym and cafe, there was also room for progression
Pros
Learning curve, great team, onsite facilities
Cons
Good working conditions, pitiful pay
* Terrible pay.
* Too many managers doing very little, too few staff doing too much.

* Good Atmosphere.

* Money spent on shiny new buildings as opposed to increasing staff numbers.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sussex Police. Our community is ready to answer.