Sussex Police Employee Reviews

as above
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  sussex4 September 2018
enjoyable but shame so many government cuts which limits job security. Not much room for progression but the pay is good for the type of work. Management not so great
Enjoyable
Change & Resolution Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lewes18 August 2018
Management was great, I learned a huge amount of things including things outside of my specified job area. Also there was a great onsite gym and cafe, there was also room for progression
Pros
Learning curve, great team, onsite facilities
Cons
Good working conditions, pitiful pay
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex17 August 2018
* Terrible pay.
* Too many managers doing very little, too few staff doing too much.
* Good Atmosphere.
* Money spent on shiny new buildings as opposed to increasing staff numbers.
hard working very friendly
Finance Business Partner - Collaborations (Former Employee) –  Sussex31 May 2018
I enjoyed working for Sussex Police they are a very hard working group of people and dedicated to the police. The role I had was unusual in that it covered two counties, unfortunately, I was not local and found the travel too much.
Pros
great dedication
Cons
Caring and professional organisation to work for
Control Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sussex Police11 May 2018
Shifts could be long, hectic sometimes stressful at times enjoyable.

Learned to manage stress by maintaining a good work/life balance.

A strong hierarchical management culture necessary to the nature of the job.

Workplace culture - a strong focus on team work and mutual support.

Hardest part of the job - when circumstances prevented me from not being able to provide first class service .

Best part of the job was being able to provide good service to members of the public.
Pros
Reasonably secure employment
Cons
Working shifts
Would never work with Sussex Police ever again
civilian (Former Employee) –  Sussex25 March 2018
Having worked with Sussex Police before I would never work with them again.
I had a similar role to the one advertised and there remains a level of bullying and the 'old boy network' mentality amongst the senior uniformed staff which is heavily white washed and swept under the enormous rug they stand on. Whilst it will always be denied, it still exists with plenty of information sharing down the pub afterwards to 3rd parties.
If your an activist with the Union it's even worse and if you have differing personal views to those they deem as being potentially damaging to their 'good reputation', forget it, don't bother applying.
Not all uniformed or civilian staff are like this, I did meet some really nice ones but the old regimes remain and it can be hard to stomach if you ask too many questions.

However, if your a sheep and don't mind all that, go for it.
Pros
You get to say you work with the Police.
Cons
Too many.
A Day in the Life
MAPPA and ViSOR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex14 January 2018
There is never a typical day in my job. Often responding to whatever demands are asked of the team, I initially gain a helicopter view of what needs to be done, then I write my first (of many) "To Do" lists.
This list often expands and changes throughout the day, reacting to enquiries and new requests. I work hard and re-prioritise the various tasks and extra demands to ensure that my own job gets done within strict deadlines.

Asides learning new systems, I have gained accuracy and detail in my Minute taking, plus I am more aware of how to handle and store sensitive information compliantly. I have gained experience in communicating / working with professionals at all levels and have found opportunities to improve systems and working practices within my role. I have learnt to quickly re-prioritise tasks in line with changing needs within the organisation, whilst ensuring my own daily tasks still get completed.

The managers I work with are extremely dedicated to protecting the public, often dealing with distressing subject matter, working beyond regular office hours to ensure that we are all kept safe.

The workplace culture is highly professional and dedicated. I work within a highly scrutinised organisation that has to deliver high standards from an increasingly challenging budget.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the subject material. The department I work deals with a variety of crimes that require a specialist investigative approach. I often have to prepare, minute and handle explicit and confidential information.

The best part of the job
  more... is gaining a sense of satisfaction from a completed piece of work, helping colleagues and professional or finding a solution to a problem (whether it be I.T. based or logistic). I enjoy the amount of trust that has been endowed to me, enabling me to manage my own regular workload whilst finding the opportunity to implement improvements to work processes.  less
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
no development opportunity
Interesting and supportive
Temporary Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Sussex7 November 2017
A varied work environment with a supportive management structure. Flexible working options available. Undergoing extensive change at present to adhere to stringent money saving requirements.
temp role
Planned Police Response Investigator (Former Employee) –  West Sussex3 November 2017
temp role with shifts which was the hardest part of the job. Had to train the permanent staff to do my role as it was a changeover of their processes.
Productive Workplace
Evidential Property Asst (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex30 October 2017
I spent 7 years working as a property clerk for sussex police, however when i was dismissed for ill health the support was lacking.
I did enjoy working with various departments over the years.
Professional Work Place
N/A (Current Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex6 October 2017
Good people and professional place to work. People doing a hard job under testing financial times. A good work life balance can be offered if you are flexi time.
Mostly good, but with its downsides
Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex27 September 2017
When I worked within the team most of the other team members were a lot older so I was always treated as the child. There was a lot of bullying going on through out the teams and I felt that this was never dealt with.
Pros
good money, good benefits
Cons
bullying and can be intimidating workplace
A very busy organisation
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex1 June 2017
A great organisation to work for currently hampered by outdated IT systems and buildings not necessarily fit for purpose.

The merger between two forces is clunky with processes that are very dissimilar.

Good team working and local workplace culture.
Pros
Good central location
Cons
sometimes unrealistic workloads and not enough trained staff
Overwhelming and invaluable
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  BRIGHTON, UK7 May 2017
I loved working for the force. I must say that I have grown a lot as person professionally and as individual. I found the whole experience invaluable and priceless. The skills and confidence i gain throughout the years I worked for the force gave me self worth and self esteem I didnt know I had. I met amazing team of professionals and management who hardly failed me.
Pros
vibrant and fast working enviroment
Cons
long hours, sometimes no brakes
interesting
Statement taker (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex30 March 2017
Working for Sussex Police as a statement taker involved using intelligence systems to check on individuals, making appointments to see witnesses and victims and obtaining detailed statements to assist Police Officers in their investigations of crime.Every day was different and sometimes challenging. I also seized and viewed CCTV for Police officers and assessing any evidential value.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Amazing environment to work in
Police Community Support Officer/LGBT Liaison (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove15 March 2017
I loved my time with Sussex Police, I found it a big happy family very supportive,
I can honestly say I felt valued and safe in my job,
Great bosses ... always encouraged and backed up.
Pros
Fairness and undestanding
Cons
no Cons
Stressful and fast paced environment
Radio Controller (Current Employee) –  Lewes, HQ11 February 2017
Every day at work is completely different. I have learnt to deal with rapidly changing circumstances in emergency situations, dealing effectively with the general public. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the emotional side when members of the public are reporting a crime. I especially enjoy working in a team.
Administration role
Staff Officers as appropriate (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex8 February 2017
A role that demands excellent attention to detail and concentration. A reasonably enjoyable place to work and great location.
One very small cog in a big wheel
Licensing Clerk/Admin (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex19 January 2017
I found it very challenging to integrate the public, police, council and courts to meet a given criteria. It was however rewarding to receive an application for a licence and see it through to the end.
Working for the Police provides immense job satisfaction
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Sussex22 December 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day, the work is varied providing opportunities to improve the lot of people in society by removing anti social and criminal elements thereby enhancing and enriching the lives of the decent law abiding public.
Pros
The job itself
Cons
Shift work can be problematic for some people.