Surrey Police

Surrey Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews
Fun workplace
Supportive Co workers and management & lots of support if needed. You are pushed to go onto training courses and improve your skills in the workplace.
Great force to work for
fun but proffesional and looked after if you need support yes good support and help in any situation regarding the work you do and very supportive regarding your home life
Pros
security treated well good family
Cons
Unable to give a summary due to nature of organisation
This is a large organisation where it is impossible to generalise with regards to what a typical day would be like, management, culture, or what is enjoyable.
Challenging but rewarding.
An innovative police force struggling to keep up with the current changing politics of life.
They offer a rewarding experience for the young officer with plenty of opportunities to excel and gain promotion.

Still suffers from some institutional bias but then all forces do at the moment. This can only improve as younger people join and the old guard retire.

The force is often used as a stepping stone to the Metropolitan Police
Challenging and can be boring for PCSO
If you are looking to join up I wouldn't say no, you have to be dedicated an certain that this is the job you want otherwise you wont enjoy it but it give it a go
Friendly place to work
Salary is not that great , should have pay review after probation period of 3 months, then annual pay award same as the NHS.
Enjoyed working part of the friendly team that took time to teach you how the department is run and training on the different systems that the department use.
The only good thing is the pay.
The job itself I loved. I was there almost 9 years and found it hard to leave because of the pay rate and overtime. I was so desperate to get out I took a pay cut.
Trying to get Annual leave is a nightmare. Sickness policy is a joke.

Management is awful and I’m not surprised when meeting up with friends to hear that nothing has changed and if anything is worse.
Poor salary for the risk, lots of back stabbing, corrupt PSD
Shift work, no work life balance, managers who will do your legs to get ahead. Risk adverse culture which restricts what you can do and makes simply tasks extremely hard to complete.
No proper training department anymore, big work loads, poor moral, all for the starting wage of £22k! don't do it!
Pros
Cons
long forced hours, no rewards, bad managment.
Intelligence Researcher – Full time role.
• Carrying out research tasks in relation to vehicles, addresses, people and offences to find links, trends and patterns
• Producing force wide briefing notices for police officers to help identify offenders

• Producing subject and firearm profiles for warrants and intelligence purposes
Good
Good company to work for and very rewarding work. I have been party of this organisation for 31 years and have the relevant knowledge on how it has developed its workforce.
Close knit workplace
Close knit team as work was serious but friendly colleagues. Some benefits included. Training opportunities available and later on there are progression and redeployment opportunities.
Surrey Police
Surrey Police headquarters is based in Guildford and it is a nice friendly place to work with a good work life balance.

I would highly recommend work for them.
Changing times, good people
In These difficult times of austerity there are many changes taking place. The people working here are what keeps this ship afloat.
Many many great people doing great things,
A positive workplace
A varied career with plenty of challenges but also very rewarding and was sad to leave
Over the 30 yrs i was encourage to self develop and learnt many new skills through experiences and courses
Lovely people and lots of change to get your teeth into
I have worked in Surrey Police for nearly 6 years now and have enjoyed every minute.

The original role was new when I started and I have been able to make it my own and put into place the processes that are still being used today.

There is an incredible amount of change going and opportunity available within the financial side of the force it would have been a really interesting place to work over the next couple of years but I find myself having to relocate to Bristol because of my husbands work commitments.
Pros
Trusted to work and develop ideas on your own
Cons
Some work was transactional
A happy place to work.
The team I worked in was very close-knit and we all pulled together well. The organisation looked after its staff. There were occasional social events which included the whole family, which was great.
professional police force
This police force was known within the service as a innovative organisation, often developing equipment and processes that helped the job to be done more effectively
Excellent place to work
I really enjoyed my time as a Police officer and regret leaving due to personal issues. Work is very varied, sometimes long hours, colleagues will do anything to assist you, room for development.
Pros
Hard work is rewarded
Cons
Personal life
Character Building
Hardest part of the job is all roles constantly under review so a lack of job certainty
Best part of the job a strong feeling of belonging and working for the greater good of our society
Disheartening
Policing in general is on the decline in terms of satisfaction, but the way Surrey Police have gone is terrible. High profile criminals are not being targeted, instead the focus is on low level, quick detections. Shame
Great but not so great.
Never the same day twice! I work in a department where my principals do what they can to prevent crime. If you are interested in Law, then this is an interesting place to work. I feel as though I am working for heroes and I'm sad to have to leave but 1) the money is terrible and 2) my team may be moving to a new location which will mean that I will lose money if I stay working for Surrey Police. Shame.

The people are kind and supportive. There is plenty of room for advancement and long term learning. I just cannot afford to stay - not when I could be earning £4K more per annum and working locally.
Pros
The people!
Cons
The money