Surrey Police Employee Reviews

A positive workplace
Police Officer and Police Staff (Former Employee) –  Guildford3 October 2018
A varied career with plenty of challenges but also very rewarding and was sad to leave
Over the 30 yrs i was encourage to self develop and learnt many new skills through experiences and courses
Lovely people and lots of change to get your teeth into
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey26 September 2018
I have worked in Surrey Police for nearly 6 years now and have enjoyed every minute.

The original role was new when I started and I have been able to make it my own and put into place the processes that are still being used today.

There is an incredible amount of change going and opportunity available within the financial side of the force it would have been a really interesting place to work over the next couple of years but I find myself having to relocate to Bristol because of my husbands work commitments.
Pros
Trusted to work and develop ideas on your own
Cons
Some work was transactional
A happy place to work.
Clerk/typist (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey29 August 2018
The team I worked in was very close-knit and we all pulled together well. The organisation looked after its staff. There were occasional social events which included the whole family, which was great.
Excellent place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Esher19 August 2018
I really enjoyed my time as a Police officer and regret leaving due to personal issues. Work is very varied, sometimes long hours, colleagues will do anything to assist you, room for development.
Pros
Hard work is rewarded
Cons
Personal life
Character Building
Business Analyst, Digital Transformation (Current Employee) –  Surrey2 April 2018
Hardest part of the job is all roles constantly under review so a lack of job certainty
Best part of the job a strong feeling of belonging and working for the greater good of our society
Disheartening
Area Policing Team (Current Employee) –  Caterham22 February 2018
Policing in general is on the decline in terms of satisfaction, but the way Surrey Police have gone is terrible. High profile criminals are not being targeted, instead the focus is on low level, quick detections. Shame
Great but not so great.
Secretary, Public Protection and Specialist Crime (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey30 January 2018
Never the same day twice! I work in a department where my principals do what they can to prevent crime. If you are interested in Law, then this is an interesting place to work. I feel as though I am working for heroes and I'm sad to have to leave but 1) the money is terrible and 2) my team may be moving to a new location which will mean that I will lose money if I stay working for Surrey Police. Shame.

The people are kind and supportive. There is plenty of room for advancement and long term learning. I just cannot afford to stay - not when I could be earning £4K more per annum and working locally.
Pros
The people!
Cons
The money
Varied
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey Police22 January 2018
Due to the nature of the business, I cannot comment on the role I am currently in.
I have worked for Surrey Police for 20 years. Throughout this time I have seen the best and the worst of human nature. My team became my family and the bonds you have with them are unbreakable. It has been a very full and varied 20 years.
Fast pace and high pressure
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey12 January 2018
Surrey Police is a good place to work, staff and management are friendly. As a Police Constable the work is extremely high pressured, the hours are long and the work loads are very heavy.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Long hours, high work loads
Secretary
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey26 October 2017
Busy days which require flexibility. Lovely people. Everyone helpful. Variety of work. Never a dull moment. Lots of different people and departments. It would take an age to learn all about the business.
Unhappy
Level 1 Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey30 August 2017
Would not recommend working here. Environment was not friendly and cliques were formed. Progression of staff did not seem like a priority and there was no obvious structure.
No comment.
PCSO (Former Employee) –  Epsom14 August 2017
Unsupportive management. Job not as advertised. Working too far from home. Colleagues were very unsupportive. Low salary. High risk job with insufficient support.
proactive
Personal Assistant to the Chief Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Surrey13 May 2017
best role so far, learned so much. Workplace culture was good. The hardest part of the job was getting the hang of the Police language. The most enjoyable part was the variety day to day.
People are great, employer is not.
Investigation Officer (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey9 May 2017
Worked in different departments and 99% of people are great. As an employer I have found them to be uninterested in their staff's welfare. Work/life balance is heavily weighed to work, would not recommend working for them.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Long hours, Uninterested in welfare of staff, any benefits are slowely disappearing
Varied experience
Text Prep Administrator (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey8 May 2017
Working with good people but organization is somewhat disorganised. There always seem to be changes in management which is disconcerting and not motivational.
Pros
pension
Cons
Lack of flexibility about remote working
my dream job
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Surrey28 March 2017
An amazing job. No two days the same. Working with amazing colleagues' who are your work family. Working as a team and being able to work independently when required. Assisting all members of society in all different circumstances and trying to make a difference. It makes you realise life should be treated with respect and enjoy and appreciate what you have as it can be taken away from you in the blink of an eye. it is hard to accept when a person has been brutalised or killed for no apparent reason. When people do not respect a persons race beliefs culture or lifestyle that is hard.
working as a officer is worthwhile when you have come into contact with someone for what ever reason and they say thank you.
you come home shattered after working exceedingly long hours and you feel you have achieved something or helped someone. the most enjoyable part of the job is having a sense of humour and motivating your colleagues when they are struggling
Pros
working alongside a great group of people
Cons
working out in dire weather conditions for long periods of time
Varying
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Caterham, Surrey13 January 2017
each day is different. You get to meet many different people. There is satisfaction out of the job when you get results. Every body is helpful. You tick boxes in so many different lines of work with the jobs you do.
Pros
meeting different people
Cons
not enough pay for what we have to deal with
Cuts effecting the service provided
Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Guildford25 September 2016
Officers are hard working but spread to thinly due to cuts. Co-workers are good and still look out for each other. The job is becoming more risk adverse due to increased scrutiny of it.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Helping others and trying to improve the Service provided
Assistant (IPA) (Current Employee) –  Police HQ Guildford2 September 2016
Able to learn different job roles and understand the service provided by the Police . Being flexible and learning to cope with Shifts
Working with all types of people from varying backgrounds
Being able to work as part of a team
Being able to help others and be aware of how different incidents affect people
Pros
Medical support and a discounted web link
Cons
Professional, ethical and progressive organisation
Detective Chief Inspector (Former Employee) –  Surrey Police17 August 2016
Being a police officer is not an easy job, but it can be made more tolerable when the support networks are in place.

My experiences and there were many, was that when I needed support, advice or guidance it was there.

As an organisation they encourage innovation and allow individuals to use their skills and experiences in a fair and responsible way.

They do not punish honest mistakes but rather, provide a learning and developing culture that seeks to support people to grow and learn from all experiences.
Pros
good personal and professional development opportunites, Diverse interesting and excieting career paths
Cons
Long hours - shifts - travel