Surrey County Council Employee Reviews

Good
Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey17 March 2018
Surrey County Council provides a supportive friendly environment with access to training, and supervision. The work is varied with a range of job opportunities in a range of specialist areas.
Productive, Work life balance, friendly people to work with
Resource Advisor (Former Employee) –  Various6 March 2018
Ongoing workload, overseeing admin staff, working to budget deadlines on a monthly basis, meeting with management to go through monthly budgets, recommending where to cut costs. Producing accurate monthly budget figures for several homes. Working from different locations on a daily basis. advertising, shortlisting, interviewing and recruiting staff. Arranging meetings with Managers has not always been easy and some of the systems not functioning as well as they could. The most enjoyable part of the job was to help and train staff to enable them to achieve and fulfill their role. Also working on my own or as a team.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
A lot of travelling
Dog eat Dog environment
Business Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey20 February 2018
Management want control but do not want to take responsibility. Due to the lack of funding a dog eat dog environment has evolved. This is not the same organisation I worked for when I first started in 2000.
Pros
Nice non-management staff
Cons
Unsupportive Senior Management
Good
Pensions Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames7 February 2018
Pleasant colleagues and job location (County Hall), however the fixed hours, commuting via rail (and all that incurs) and call centre environment were ultimately not for me.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
commuting
overview
Social Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey31 January 2018
The management are honest enough to tell you to move on to other careers if you are not going to progress. Pay does not match the cost of living in the area. If your an unqualified worker then you get little recognition for your hard work and your skills often overlooked.
Training is normally good and the teams are generally supportive.
Pros
co-workers generally supportive
Cons
long hours low pay
A great new challenge and relaxed workplace
Adult Social Care Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London26 January 2018
The workplace has a relaxed atmosphere, with friendly staff. I really like my client base, which includes professional qualified social workers. I prefer working in a local government like Surrey County Council. I am grateful for the privilege and opportunity of transitioning my legal practice and services from private practice to local government.
Pros
Flexi-Leave
Cons
It is part time role and FTC, would prefer full time and permanent position but do not mind Full time FTC
Friendly place to work with options to progress
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rsch26 January 2018
Surrey county council will offer you a competitive salary for your role. As well as the pay, as a company y they offers chances to progress through the company
Vitalisting
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey3 January 2018
Love to be able to think on my feet and rise to challenges . The children brighten the day and there compements and manners are amazing I work to keep the customers happy and strive to make them smile
Pros
Children
Highly Recommended
Surrey (Former Employee) –  Surrey28 December 2017
As you might expect, a scrupulous and caring employer
Right on the case with regard personal development
Opportunities to advance as long as you are prepared to wait for others to retire or die
Pros
security
Cons
poor pay
Wonderful to work for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunbury28 December 2017
The library service was honestly one of the best places I have ever worked. The staff were lovely and the atmosphere was brilliant.

The only downside is the pay is quite low, most of the jobs are part time only but it is a really lovely place to work
Great hours and wonderful co-workers
Case Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey England7 December 2017
It was a great place to work. It was the saddest part of leaving the UK. We helped place children with special education needs into appropriate education.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stressful situations
A nice place to start
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London30 November 2017
I joined here as an apprentice. The induction process was really useful and well structured. Flexible working was available with supportive and approachable management.
Lots of training available here although it was a shame I was unable to progress internally despite attending a number of interviews.
Would work here again and recommend others to do so.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Poor pay compared to the private sector
Great job role
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London23 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoy working within the Community Partnership & Community Safety department. I have the task on hand to help with all commencing local committee meetings that goes on within all 11 boroughs, working to make our community safer for everyone, issues with highways and accommodating with councilors requests. This role tests my ability to work under pressure, within tight deadlines, work alongside a huge team, collaborate and motivate others and myself.
very experienced staff and managment
Reablement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey22 November 2017
typical day work was very well constructive and help always available if needed, whether in person or one the phone. Hardest part of the job was to know exactly how to handle all the situations that arose.

I really enjoyed meeting the people I was working with and for. however there was a lot of one sided talk and occasionally it felt like sometimes the system didn't work properly.
Pros
Hours and co-workers
Cons
managment was very bad, when managers were out of office
Busy workplace
Catering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey5 October 2017
Good place to work however, because of ongoing under staffed issues it can lead to negative atmosphere within the workplace
Hard, but enjoyable, with opportunities to do various courses if you wish.
Pros
works around your family
Cons
very poor pay
Social work
Senior Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tandridge Locality4 October 2017
On a typical day working in accordance with the community care act and other relevant legislation and policies.
My duties included carrying out assessments, devising packages of care, reviews, Mental Capacity Assessment and liaising with service users.
My role also involved supporting and supervising colleagues.
Other duties included participating on the duty rota and attending meetings.
Pros
The council provided free tea and coffee
Cons
Lunch not provided during training sessions
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Orchard school, East Molesey, sirrey2 October 2017
Good place to work. Hard, but enjoyable, with oppertunities to do various courses if you should so wish. I entered on a catering ssupervisor level and have enjoyed working for Surrey county council very much.
Pros
Term time hours
Cons
Not great pay
Fantastic opportunities for your career
Special Educational Needs Case Officer (Former Employee) –  London, England11 September 2017
Surrey county council enabled my to start from the bottom and work my way up to a case officer. The hours where long and the job was very demanding however it was very rewarding to work to help improve children's / young adults educational support.
Pros
Different tasks every day
Cons
Very demanding in terms of statutory deadlines.
I have great staff, colleagues and bosses
senior admin advisor (Surrey Heath) (Current Employee) –  Camberle3 September 2017
working front line, you do it for the passion not for the money. I love working for SCC and everyone I work with teaches me something new every day.
You work for SC because you want to make a difference and we do it everyday, some are small steps but we get there.
Pros
ou
Intriguing and diverse
Meeting assistant/volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, Surrey20 August 2017
I found the job to have a good work/life balance and it was a very eye opening and interesting. It was relaxing but helpful to the community and I felt like I was making a difference.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surrey County Council. Our community is ready to answer.