Surrey County Council

Surrey County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom158 reviews
Good and Bad days
Mixed back of good and bad work relationships with other staff members looking down upon others.
However, I enjoyed my time working with this organisation and look forward to working for them again in future
Surrey County Council
SCC are on a fast-paced journey of improvement to become the service that residents can rely on for the very best care. I have had a very good work/life balance while working in Surrey and supportive managers.
relaxed work environment
its a very good place to work as the team consists of people from all over the world and the management is excellent and the same with the support. would recommend anyone to work with surrey.
Working life
Working with Surrey is a safe and secure and no one day is the same. Management are helpful, staff ensures that they are doing their best to support the resident and their family and also keeping them safe
Changing to improve
SCC is undergoing an extensive period of rapid change and restructures to streamline and redefine a sustainable business.

However, in the meantime, funding cuts and reduced revenue are putting staff are under immense pressure to maintain 'business as usual' in often difficult and stressful times. Staff teams are extremely committed and go over and above to achieve outcomes despite these daily challenges. Management can be supportive but are not always fully aware of the challenges faced by staff.

The recent restructures have seen a large numbers of redundancies and loss of skills and experience which has impacted on the delivery of some services.

If SCC's ambitious plans are realised, SCC will again be an innovative local authority to work for.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Restructuring
Great colleagues
Working with great colleagues was the highlight of my experience of working for Surrey Libraries. Staff work extremely hard in their roles and strive to make libraries are welcoming place for visitors and colleagues.
Interesting
The job was great; the management disgraceful, just out for themselves no support of team. Work / life balance no existent, management interactions were belittling and none supportive.
Management only wanted people who would say yes to them and ignore the best interest of the young people ir staff

Benefits; additional scheme that started off great but changed and not as good.

I wouldn’t recommend surreyc CC
Love my role within Surrey
Wonderful setting with fantastic pupils. My interview was relaxed but very professional. If wasn’t for low pay and hours not suitable I would remain in position.
Really good wage, great benefits, great company. Interview progress was easy, warm team. Very thorough with training which I found great. (3 weeks in total)
Busy workplace
Busy and target driven
Learned to work under pressure and prioritise my work

Management culture was okay not outstanding

Hardest part of the job was lifting the heaving boxes with the archived files.

Enjoyable part was the the flexible working hours
Good company to work with
Good company to work with lovely people would recommend to work for them. I worked in a school kitchens and the boss was really nice and understanding in family problems
Good Company
Worked for Surrey County Council for over 3 years. I have always found the team very approachable. The training that is provided is first class and easy to access.
good traing
The Contact centre in general is a good place to work, it is high pressure and management could be better. wide varity of calls good opportunities to move to other departments and carrer progression
Good place to work if you match the team's dynamic
I worked there for few years and I was very happy; we had some difficult times but this is part of this job as your clients’ needs change but overall it is really rewarding job and I had a very nice team to work with – if you get to work people like I did.
I resigned because I moved houses; otherwise I would have been still working there.
What I enjoy
I enjoy my job as it has enabled me to change my career to something completely different. I have enjoyed every day spent at work as I learn a lot more about people as individuals and their needs.
Lovely place to work
Lovely place to work, very supporting team. I really enjoyed working there, learnt a lot and developed as a person. I would recommend this service to anyone at any given time
Working at SCC made me feel totally demoralised
I joined SCC with great expectations, I was keen to do well and learn as much as I could to start a new career. However I soon discovered that Management were very unsupportive and communication was extremely poor between departments. A case of public finances not being spent very well.
A lot has changed.
Since the restructure that took place last year the working environment has become worse. The changes were handled badly and were not considerate of their employees. It has left a bad after taste.
Low morale
Some scope for development, but culture and cutbacks in funding make it a difficult place to be 'happy' in. Uncertainty re future provision of services, and thus job security.
Good place of work as a term time job.
I enjoyed this company because of the organisation and training. We serve the education field, which was mainly for me in primary and secondary. Loved this area but wages was not adequate for living
Public Sector through n through
This may suit some, but it didn't me, found it to be cold and unfriendly place to work. Alot of people working so many different hours, which is good and flexible until you want to move forward and hold group meetings or get decisions made and then it impacts progress. Just not for me too drawn out to get everything done.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surrey County Council. Our community is ready to answer.