Surrey County Council Employee Reviews

Surrey County Council
Business & Development Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London1 October 2018
A responsible and forward thinking council that understands the needs of the residents. Management are mostly excellent, and opportunities to progress are available
Excellent company
Speech and Language Therapist (Former Employee) –  Surrey3 September 2018
An excellent company providing staff with excellent rates of pay and many opportunities to grow and expand on your knowledge and career. Very friendly and supportive team.
Slow but steady
Business Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Surrey27 July 2018
I have learned a lot of skills but miss on the fast pace of working for private sector.
The council is a good place to work if you are not career oriented.
fair
SCHOOL CATERING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Surrey6 July 2018
I was in the school kitchen department. Management, themselves, were always pleasant and try to help and sort any issues. I did find that the kitchen would get the blame if students disliked the actual dish itself, but the kitchen were following rules set.
Pros
helpful, pleasant management.
Cons
unable to take holidays, etc, off during term times
Challenging yet rewarding workplace
RESEARCH AND COMMISSIONING INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Woking3 July 2018
I have been working as an Intern alongside Surrey Family Services and have experienced a range of diverse settings and environments which have enabled me to explore my career options post graduating from University.
Pros
Valuable skills developed
Cons
Lack of consistency in work
Why I like to work for SCC and what I like less about it.
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Esher, Surrey30 June 2018
I have always enjoyed working as a social worker, especially senior social worker in Adult Care. After many years of searching I finaly found something I liked doing! I value the fact that I was given plenty of independence to complete my tasks, that I work with changing group of people on my caseload and that I work with a good team of people.
I like less the bureacracy which is frankly stifling. There are so many forms to coplete that it all begins to look like a ritual preventing us from working with people and absorbing all our time. However, I do appreciate that recording has to be completed, but if it was up to me I would suggest some changes.
very nice, growing school
Administration (Former Employee) –  Weybridge26 June 2018
Had always been a small friendly school with very nurturing atmosphere for infants. Increasing pupil numbers prompted major infrastructure and management change. Fit for purpose infant school.
Good
Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey17 March 2018
Surrey County Council provides a supportive friendly environment with access to training, and supervision. The work is varied with a range of job opportunities in a range of specialist areas.
Productive, Work life balance, friendly people to work with
Resource Advisor (Former Employee) –  Various6 March 2018
Ongoing workload, overseeing admin staff, working to budget deadlines on a monthly basis, meeting with management to go through monthly budgets, recommending where to cut costs. Producing accurate monthly budget figures for several homes. Working from different locations on a daily basis. advertising, shortlisting, interviewing and recruiting staff. Arranging meetings with Managers has not always been easy and some of the systems not functioning as well as they could. The most enjoyable part of the job was to help and train staff to enable them to achieve and fulfill their role. Also working on my own or as a team.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
A lot of travelling
Dog eat Dog environment
Business Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey20 February 2018
Management want control but do not want to take responsibility. Due to the lack of funding a dog eat dog environment has evolved. This is not the same organisation I worked for when I first started in 2000.
Pros
Nice non-management staff
Cons
Unsupportive Senior Management

Want to know more about Surrey County Council?

Ask a question
Good
Pensions Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames7 February 2018
Pleasant colleagues and job location (County Hall), however the fixed hours, commuting via rail (and all that incurs) and call centre environment were ultimately not for me.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
commuting
overview
Social Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey31 January 2018
The management are honest enough to tell you to move on to other careers if you are not going to progress. Pay does not match the cost of living in the area. If your an unqualified worker then you get little recognition for your hard work and your skills often overlooked.
Training is normally good and the teams are generally supportive.
Pros
co-workers generally supportive
Cons
long hours low pay
A great new challenge and relaxed workplace
Adult Social Care Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London26 January 2018
The workplace has a relaxed atmosphere, with friendly staff. I really like my client base, which includes professional qualified social workers. I prefer working in a local government like Surrey County Council. I am grateful for the privilege and opportunity of transitioning my legal practice and services from private practice to local government.
Pros
Flexi-Leave
Cons
It is part time role and FTC, would prefer full time and permanent position but do not mind Full time FTC
Friendly place to work with options to progress
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rsch26 January 2018
Surrey county council will offer you a competitive salary for your role. As well as the pay, as a company y they offers chances to progress through the company
Vitalisting
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey3 January 2018
Love to be able to think on my feet and rise to challenges . The children brighten the day and there compements and manners are amazing I work to keep the customers happy and strive to make them smile
Pros
Children
Highly Recommended
Surrey (Former Employee) –  Surrey28 December 2017
As you might expect, a scrupulous and caring employer
Right on the case with regard personal development
Opportunities to advance as long as you are prepared to wait for others to retire or die
Pros
security
Cons
poor pay
Wonderful to work for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunbury28 December 2017
The library service was honestly one of the best places I have ever worked. The staff were lovely and the atmosphere was brilliant.

The only downside is the pay is quite low, most of the jobs are part time only but it is a really lovely place to work
Great hours and wonderful co-workers
Case Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey England7 December 2017
It was a great place to work. It was the saddest part of leaving the UK. We helped place children with special education needs into appropriate education.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stressful situations
A nice place to start
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London30 November 2017
I joined here as an apprentice. The induction process was really useful and well structured. Flexible working was available with supportive and approachable management.
Lots of training available here although it was a shame I was unable to progress internally despite attending a number of interviews.
Would work here again and recommend others to do so.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Poor pay compared to the private sector
Great job role
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London23 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoy working within the Community Partnership & Community Safety department. I have the task on hand to help with all commencing local committee meetings that goes on within all 11 boroughs, working to make our community safer for everyone, issues with highways and accommodating with councilors requests. This role tests my ability to work under pressure, within tight deadlines, work alongside a huge team, collaborate and motivate others and myself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surrey County Council. Our community is ready to answer.