Surrey County Council Employee Reviews

Fantastic opportunities for your career
Special Educational Needs Case Officer (Former Employee) –  London, England11 September 2017
Surrey county council enabled my to start from the bottom and work my way up to a case officer. The hours where long and the job was very demanding however it was very rewarding to work to help improve children's / young adults educational support.
Pros
Different tasks every day
Cons
Very demanding in terms of statutory deadlines.
Intriguing and diverse
Meeting assistant/volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, Surrey20 August 2017
I found the job to have a good work/life balance and it was a very eye opening and interesting. It was relaxing but helpful to the community and I felt like I was making a difference.
Good workplace with great friends
Reception/Reprographics Officer (Former Employee) –  Chertsey13 August 2017
A busty switchboard, constant photocopying and large print jobs took up most of the day. The work dealt with was done in a very professional manner, but also with a light-hearted attitude, which leads to a great workplace. Summer holidays were slow for us as an education sector, but really busy term-time.
Pros
Good friends
Productive and busy place
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey26 July 2017
Surrey county council is an extremely hard working business to work for. We aim to please all of our clients through a range of different things from housing..to social care or finances.
Pros
Helpful and lovely colleagues
Cons
Pay
Under pressure from budget cuts
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Surrey29 June 2017
Under staffed and negative atmosphere within the workplace. Working in public sector does have benefits, working hours and location flexible when required.
It was an easy cleaning job I enjoyed it .
Mid day supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ash25 June 2017
My job was to clean my own building I was in charge of make sure I stocked up on bits if they run out empty all bins, clean toilets , buffing floors , polishing what needed polishing ,hoovering floors and mopping .
Pros
If you finished early you could sometimes go back to office and have a chat .
Good Employer
Compliance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London14 June 2017
The audit team were easy to work with and always helpful.
Internal audit is taken seriously by the Council.
Departments are aware of the work of internal audit and are approachable during audits.
Large authority - poor pay
Employee (Current Employee) –  Surrey22 May 2017
A large local authority. It supports flexible working but like most local authorities nowadays, funding from local government has seen huge cuts over the years. Salaries grades are low and should be in line with London pay grades.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Salary grades
Good working environment
Senior PA to Cabinet (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London26 April 2017
Extremely busy as was in heart of council. Rewarding being involved with residents current issues. Supportive team who all worked together well. Opprtunities for secondment to other departments to gain further experience,
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Culture of restructure every 2 years
Exciting Opportunities
HR (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London24 April 2017
Really good place to work, good opportunities for progression. Really nice mix of colleagues too which makes working there a bonus. Good salary and benefits.
Fun Workplace
Data Quality Officer (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London28 March 2017
Team are fun to be around, very sociable.
Management are the best, able to help you learn and progress in your field.
Good atmosphere, engage well with services and customer feedback is positive.
Flexible working
Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, UK27 March 2017
Able to work flexibly to maintain good work/life balance. Must work core hours of 10am - 4pm. Some roles enable you to work remotely from home or other council buildings.
Nothing but good things
Youth worker (Current Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey23 March 2017
Through working with surrey county council, I have learned a lot. I have been trained with the job role and disciplined properly when needed. My line manager has been amazing when I've needed her and I couldn't ask for better colleagues.
I love the challenge of being a youth worker and it thrives me to do well at my job and build up my training to eventually become a worker in charge.
Educational Institution
Teacher/Tutor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Woking, Surrey and other areas23 March 2017
A good place to work for, with good opportunities for progression and personal development. Staff in general very pleasant. I am glad to have had the opportunity.
good
Senior Category Specialist HR and Corporate (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames20 March 2017
good place to work and an organisation constantly challenged by reduced budgets an the challenges of delivering more for less. The building in Kingston has on site parking.
Review
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey14 March 2017
Good salary
Term time work
Additional work in own time
Limited opportunities for promotion
Friendly colleges
Training provided in various areas
Targets
Paperwork
A rewarding post promoting the services of Surrey Libraries to those that may struggle to access these
Senior Officer (Current Employee) –  Woking, Surrey14 March 2017
As a senior team member we are unaffected by the demands of a timetable so we work to our own schedule to complete a project and complete our project tasks in our specified office time
Pros
Flexible Timetable
Cons
Budget cuts and a lack of opportunity to develop our projects externally
5 years, taught me alot
Contact Centre Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston Upon Thames, UK9 March 2017
Enjoyed my time there, left because of changes in my personal life, not because I wanted to. Surrey County Council do wonders with their ever decreasing budget.
Good working enviroment
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey Area9 March 2017
A very good company that sticks to policies and are on point with all staff procedures and Management development.
Lots of in house training to improve their management Good place to work
Cons
long hours which are worth while
Very good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey26 February 2017
They believe people are the greatest asset. That's why they have gone out of their way to give staff everything they need to make their jobs easier, and everything they need for a more rewarding career.

They offer a competitive pay structure and the following benefits:

24 days paid holiday a year increasing to 28 days after 5 years, pro-rata for part-time staff
A local government salary-related pension scheme into which you contribute a percentage of your salary determined by earnings. It may be possible to transfer previous pension rights to this scheme
An annual training programme offering continual learning together with management, communication, supervisory and computer skills training
Flexible working arrangements including job sharing, home working, term-time only working and hotdesking.
Travel assistance ranging from season ticket loans to a street car scheme.
An opportunity to exchange salary for a range of flexible benefits including childcare vouchers, health screening, dental insurance, personal accident scheme and retail vouchers.
Leadership development

Surrey County Council’s High Performance Development Programme (HPDP) provides managers, senior managers and staff with skills and knowledge on how to enhance performance, have difficult conversations and coach their teams. The format supports growing self-awareness, giving and receiving feedback and developing long lasting coaching relationships spanning the whole organisation.

They also maintain a number of in house leadership development courses on specific subject areas such as performance management,
  more... managing change and wellbeing.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surrey County Council. Our community is ready to answer.