Super Camps Employee Reviews

amazing compnay to work for
Camp Manager (Current Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex14 February 2019
I started off as EYP and now I am a camp manager and I have been in the company for 4 years and this is the best company I have worked for. You get a lot of support from head office. super camps have given me such amazing opportunity’s and helped me go up in the company. Its great if you can go back to the same camp every school holiday so you can build a relationship up with the parents and the children. You get to experience some great activity- swimming, archery, archery tag, so many different sport and of course the special courses that your involved in as a camp manager to deliver. I have made some amazing friends, not only from the camp I work on but around the country. by doing the camp manager role it has helped me in the job im doing and has helped me get other jobs outside of super camps when super camps is not on.
Pros
meeting some great people around the country
Super!
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire14 February 2019
I have worked for the company for a number of seasons over many years. Super Camps is always evolving to be the best it can be for children and young people.
Looking over a number of the other reviews, I felt compelled to
comment as some of them are not reflective of the current practice of the company.
There is a new management team and pay rates have been reviewed and increased. The company has scope for progression for all across the seasons. For example, I have worked in many job roles within the company from Activity Instructor, Early Years Manager, Camp Manager and then Regional Manager.

Staff rewards for on camp performance has increased for example Love to shop vouchers and days out. All staff get access to % off cinema tickets.

There is also a heavily discounted First Aid course for Camp Managers and Early Years Practitioners.

If you want to increase your experience with working with children and young people, enjoy being positive and upbeat and are free during some/all of the holidays then get in touch to apply.
Pros
Gaining experience working with children, great Safeguarding training, working with parents, experience of OFSTED, heavily discounted First Aid course for Camp Managers and Early Years Practitioners, company progression
Energetic, Fun and Rewarding
I have been working for SuperCamps for about 3 years. I started off as an Activity Instructor and have since fulfilled the roles as a Early Years Practitioner, Senior Activity Instructor and now a Camp Manager.

Coming from a educational background was a fantastic advantage to broaden my experience working with 4-12year olds. I have had the opportunity to meet lots of different people who's pervious experiences have been varied. I have been fortunate to travel to different camps and work with other teams outside my region also.

No day is same, all activities differ from day-to-day and each week has a theme. Camp can be very full on and SUPER busy during most of the holidays but, it is very rewarding job to undertake.

The staff in Head Office are always on hand when you call or email and the response to anything is normally within the same day. The overall ethos for working for this company is SUPER and very pleasing- with lots of staff perks :)
Pros
Working around the country and staff perks
Staff of no valus
Camo manager (Former Employee) –  South21 December 2018
There are advantages to working at super camps over the summer period such as being able to be outdoors and active and also gaining easy experience to be used later on.
However, I think you would struggle to find somewhere (other than sports direct) where the staff feel so unvalued by the management. They often feel manipulated into doing roles at other sites than agreed in their contract because of the threat of no work at all. The management were so disorganded that essential paperwork with the children's information didn't arrive on time, there was always a shortage of medical supplies and staff are not listened to when voices genuine concerns about discrepancies. A camp manager I encountered hadn't even finished her *compulsory* first aid training.
Overall it is an easy bit of money if you're lucky and get a good manager or it can be a disorganised nigntmare.
Good luck
Fun place to work but the pay is low considering the hours worked
activity instructor (Former Employee) –  Radley, Oxfordshire30 July 2018
In the camps from 8am-6pm, planning and running activities for up to 20 children at a time.

Management is rather inconsistent, due to changing camp managers each half-term/season. The culture is rather upbeat and positive, as it needs to be when working with children.

The hardest part of the job is being constantly on your feet and having to give your attention to lots of children at a time - towards the end of the day it can get rather annoying.
Pros
Active work
Cons
Long hours for minimal pay
Fun work place but demanding
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset29 July 2018
Long days working from 8-6 with half an hour break. The pay isn't great considering what you have to do. You have you're own group of kids and you run the sessions. Normally arts and crafts in the morning and sports in the afternoon. You meet great kids and work with lovely people.
Pros
meet lovely people
Cons
long hours and low pay
Very stressful, not worth the effort for the low pay
Activity instructor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge5 January 2018
A very stressful company to work for, shoddy recruitment process leads to a high number of staff who are are woefully inadequate for the job at hand. The training provided is is of a good level and covers the safety aspects of archery, inflatables, quads etc. However, such safety considerations are often ignored by instructors and camp managers. Don't even bother reporting safety or safeguarding concerns to head office, they do not care ( as long as it doesn't impact profit),! Reacourcea oare often damaged or run out and are not replaced. However it is a good stepping stone experience and can be okay if you have a good team of instructors and a camp manager that knows what they're doing ) but don't count on it)
Pros
Experience gained
Cons
Poor management, low pay, long hours with no break
A lot expected for little pay
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lots5 September 2017
Higher level management expected you to work all of the hours under the sun including being on call in the evenings and weekends, with no extra pay. The pay is very poor considering the amount of responsibility given.

There is a culture where no one accepts responsibility and there is always someone else to blame.

No where to progress with no support to take your career any further.

Things are botched together at the last minute rather than thought through thoroughly in the first place. Staff welfare is at the bottom of their priorities.

The actual service that the company offers is amazing, and it's great to see children thrive off being active in the holidays, just a shame that staff are seen as being replaceable all the time.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Lots
it was ok
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, Abingdon, London28 June 2017
working there part of the team was the best part of the job at times it was very stressful and management wasnt good at all, never really seemed to want to help they also never really wanted to pay expenses and they would want you to travel quite far for basically next to nothing pay!! the job itself was good as long as you had a team that was all willing to work well and pull together which i did actually have. they do get you to travel from another camp regardless of a car or not you basically have to go what needs to change is the way some of the divisional managers and senior staff are with the camp managers and staff and give alot more support to the camps and off expenses if needed for staff if they are travelling quite far and better rates of pay especially for the hours you can end up doing
Pros
fun
Cons
long hours, low pay, bad management
Fun Place to work but too structured
Activity Instructor (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire4 March 2017
Overall for me the employment was a good experience. The only thing that I think needs improving is how the days are run. Yes, it is good to have scheduled activities throughout the day but from my experience with working with kids they are at their happiest when they have a choice in what they do.
Pros
Good induction into childcare
Cons
Long Hours
poorly organised
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  London9 January 2017
A really fun summer job if you are looking for work in the school holidays. The camps however, are poorly organised by management and never seem to be staffed adequately. Expect to turn up to your shift and be asked/told to journey somewhere else, to a camp that is understaffed. You will be asked/told to do this at the last minute, regardless of whether or not you have your own car, and irregardless of location and convenience!
The work itself is fun, your day is timetabled for you, and the kids are mostly great, with the occasional exception.
Cons
Long hours/low wages
Fantastic Company
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire19 October 2016
I loved my internal recruitment role. My team and line manager were so supportive. We were all extremely close and met up after work and on weekends. The vibe in the office was friendly and exciting as every person working for Super Camps was young and bubbly!
Fun and friendly
Early Years Manager and Practioner (Current Employee) –  London12 October 2016
I would arrive every morning and sign myself in then go to my early years room and make sure that everything is neat, tidy and ready for the day ahead. Then I would pick up my clip board and see what the session plan was and if it was possible (dependent on resources etc) then wait for my manager to give me instructions about my morning tasks.

The days were very long and intense but there was a great sense of teamwork and friendship on camp at all times! The hardest part of the day was lunch time, as getting half an hour break was just enough time to begin to relax then we had to go back to work, and sometimes I worked over lunch time due to numbers etc but I volunteered as it would help the team. The most enjoyable part of the job was by far seeing how much the children on camp enjoyed their experience! I also loved being given the extra responsibility of being the Early Years Manager, who would get to make executive decisions about the activities for the children as I loved working with them I had developed a great relationship wth them therefore was able to ensure they had an amazing time while at camp!

The management was slightly distant when it came to organisation and resources provided, however this just meant that I had to step up and take charge and allow for extra time and management on my behalf to ensure that an outstanding standard of care was provided. Therefore it was an invaluable learning experience for me also.

Over my time as Early Years Manager I learnt that things do always go to plan and other don’t always do what they promise, therefore I must
  more... rely on myself to continue to be, hard working, dedicated and most importantly organised. I loved the challenge of being trusted with more responsibility and a senior role. Finally, I enjoyed working as part of a larger team, which helped me improve my communication skills as well.  less
Pros
Job satisfaction, fun
Fun working place
Multi Activity Instructor (Current Employee) –  London6 September 2016
Super Camps is a great place to work. The staff are reliable, cooperative and fun to work with.

I have learnt how to work independently with a group of children and organise fun activities in which they can have fun.

The hardest part of the job is the long hours day in day out. However, you do get used to it.

I enjoy most about Super Camps is that you can make friends easily they are always new activities for you and the children to enjoy so the day is never tedious.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
Long Hours
Head office very stressful; camp very fun
Within the Operations team (Former Employee) –  Abingdon25 May 2016
Working in head office very stressful, but working on camp is fun (although very long days).
Middle management are excellent. Each team is good, and all and friendly.
Long working hours for not very good pay.
Opportunity to learn a lot, but no career progression.
Fun, Hard work and Rewarding
Camp manager (Former Employee) –  Ealing, ENG3 September 2015
Ensure camp risk assessment is up to date, manage staff and communicate with parents. I learned to be organised, to communicate with both parents and higher management. I was also the first aider on camp meaning that i had to also ensure the safety of all children on camp, which was the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part was receiving positive feedback from both children and parents who were very happy with the service that my team and I had provided
Productive and energetic workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Abingdon9 April 2013
A great start to my career in a place where ideas are welcome and management is quite transparent.
Pros
responsibility and advancement