Super Camps

Super Camps Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
It was a good job to cover summer amd half terms at university. Camp ran well and we had a good team. Mix of age groups, and lots of different activities. HR was not brilliant and pay was sometimes delayed.
It was a perfect summer job for me. You get to work with kids from all variety of backgrounds as well as enthuastic staff.
The management team are helpful and quick to reply to any concerns.

More face to face training would’ve been more helpful.
although the days were long and I clocked a lot of hours the February 1/2 term almost went too quickly. I enjoyed the work so much and was luck enough to have a wonderful team and camp manager.
Loved my role with Super Camps and learnt a huge amount which has enabled me to progress my career in recruitment. Great people to work with and a lovely company
typical day on camp. Breakfast club which included the children enjoying games and staff getting involved with them until all the children arrived. then the early years would go off with their staff and the multi-activity children would spend the day doing different activated and sports. having lots of fun all day and learning new skills in every session.
My first year working for Super camps, I loved and didn't want to go back to my full time job, however that was far from the experience I received this year. There was no support offered from camp manager or head office staff. I only carried on working during the summer to make sure I delivered the most amazing fun filled day for my crew. Very disorganised company who were supposed to be getting better and sorting out the issues but you could no tell. I vowed never to work for the company ever again!
The camp is run like any other summer camp. Kids have reasonable amounts of fun. Head office are incredibly disorganized and are completely useless. This wouldn't be a problem apart from the fact that they try to insert themselves into every little area of camp life. I have been working there for a month and a half now, and head office are still refusing to pay me for a mistake on their end. Many little hushups such as kids coming in whom we don't have an emergency contact number for. Even though the camp is decent, can't give more than 1* for how difficult upper management has made this job.
The chance to experience working with children, doing a wide range of activities from sports to arts and crafts. Make sure when you apply that you are prepared to take responsibility of the people under your care.
I started off as EYP and now I am a camp manager and I have been in the company for 4 years and this is the best company I have worked for. You get a lot of support from head office. super camps have given me such amazing opportunity’s and helped me go up in the company. Its great if you can go back to the same camp every school holiday so you can build a relationship up with the parents and the children. You get to experience some great activity- swimming, archery, archery tag, so many different sport and of course the special courses that your involved in as a camp manager to deliver. I have made some amazing friends, not only from the camp I work on but around the country. by doing the camp manager role it has helped me in the job im doing and has helped me get other jobs outside of super camps when super camps is not on.
Pros
meeting some great people around the country
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Super Camps?
I have worked for the company for a number of seasons over many years. Super Camps is always evolving to be the best it can be for children and young people.
Looking over a number of the other reviews, I felt compelled to

comment as some of them are not reflective of the current practice of the company.

There is a new management team and pay rates have been reviewed and increased. The company has scope for progression for all across the seasons. For example, I have worked in many job roles within the company from Activity Instructor, Early Years Manager, Camp Manager and then Regional Manager.

Staff rewards for on camp performance has increased for example Love to shop vouchers and days out. All staff get access to % off cinema tickets.

There is also a heavily discounted First Aid course for Camp Managers and Early Years Practitioners.

If you want to increase your experience with working with children and young people, enjoy being positive and upbeat and are free during some/all of the holidays then get in touch to apply.
Pros
Gaining experience working with children, great Safeguarding training, working with parents, experience of OFSTED, heavily discounted First Aid course for Camp Managers and Early Years Practitioners, company progression
I have been working for SuperCamps for about 3 years. I started off as an Activity Instructor and have since fulfilled the roles as a Early Years Practitioner, Senior Activity Instructor and now a Camp Manager.

Coming from a educational background was a fantastic advantage to broaden my experience working with 4-12year olds. I have had the opportunity to meet lots of different people who's pervious experiences have been varied. I have been fortunate to travel to different camps and work with other teams outside my region also.

No day is same, all activities differ from day-to-day and each week has a theme. Camp can be very full on and SUPER busy during most of the holidays but, it is very rewarding job to undertake.

The staff in Head Office are always on hand when you call or email and the response to anything is normally within the same day. The overall ethos for working for this company is SUPER and very pleasing- with lots of staff perks :)
Pros
Working around the country and staff perks
There are advantages to working at super camps over the summer period such as being able to be outdoors and active and also gaining easy experience to be used later on.
However, I think you would struggle to find somewhere (other than sports direct) where the staff feel so unvalued by the management. They often feel manipulated into doing roles at other sites than agreed in their contract because of the threat of no work at all. The management were so disorganded that essential paperwork with the children's information didn't arrive on time, there was always a shortage of medical supplies and staff are not listened to when voices genuine concerns about discrepancies. A camp manager I encountered hadn't even finished her *compulsory* first aid training.

Overall it is an easy bit of money if you're lucky and get a good manager or it can be a disorganised nigntmare.

Good luck
Fun and rewarding days at work. Start at 08:30 to 17:30 with two 30 minute breaks and an hour long lunch break, sessions are split into 50 minute long activities. Surrounded by like minded staff members and really friendly management, a very relaxed company to work for. The hardest part is keeping up your energy throughout the week because working with children is tiring especially when the day involves a lot of running around in the various activities. The most enjoyable part is caring for children and ensuring they are safe and get the most out of their time at Super Camps.
Pros
Lots of breaks
Cons
You may be moved to different sites on short notice sometimes
In the camps from 8am-6pm, planning and running activities for up to 20 children at a time.

Management is rather inconsistent, due to changing camp managers each half-term/season. The culture is rather upbeat and positive, as it needs to be when working with children.

The hardest part of the job is being constantly on your feet and having to give your attention to lots of children at a time - towards the end of the day it can get rather annoying.
Pros
Active work
Cons
Long hours for minimal pay
Long days working from 8-6 with half an hour break. The pay isn't great considering what you have to do. You have you're own group of kids and you run the sessions. Normally arts and crafts in the morning and sports in the afternoon. You meet great kids and work with lovely people.
Pros
meet lovely people
Cons
long hours and low pay
A very stressful company to work for, shoddy recruitment process leads to a high number of staff who are are woefully inadequate for the job at hand. The training provided is is of a good level and covers the safety aspects of archery, inflatables, quads etc. However, such safety considerations are often ignored by instructors and camp managers. Don't even bother reporting safety or safeguarding concerns to head office, they do not care ( as long as it doesn't impact profit),! Reacourcea oare often damaged or run out and are not replaced. However it is a good stepping stone experience and can be okay if you have a good team of instructors and a camp manager that knows what they're doing ) but don't count on it)
Pros
Experience gained
Cons
Poor management, low pay, long hours with no break
Higher level management expected you to work all of the hours under the sun including being on call in the evenings and weekends, with no extra pay. The pay is very poor considering the amount of responsibility given.

There is a culture where no one accepts responsibility and there is always someone else to blame.

No where to progress with no support to take your career any further.

Things are botched together at the last minute rather than thought through thoroughly in the first place. Staff welfare is at the bottom of their priorities.

The actual service that the company offers is amazing, and it's great to see children thrive off being active in the holidays, just a shame that staff are seen as being replaceable all the time.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Lots
working there part of the team was the best part of the job at times it was very stressful and management wasnt good at all, never really seemed to want to help they also never really wanted to pay expenses and they would want you to travel quite far for basically next to nothing pay!! the job itself was good as long as you had a team that was all willing to work well and pull together which i did actually have. they do get you to travel from another camp regardless of a car or not you basically have to go what needs to change is the way some of the divisional managers and senior staff are with the camp managers and staff and give alot more support to the camps and off expenses if needed for staff if they are travelling quite far and better rates of pay especially for the hours you can end up doing
Pros
fun
Cons
long hours, low pay, bad management
Overall for me the employment was a good experience. The only thing that I think needs improving is how the days are run. Yes, it is good to have scheduled activities throughout the day but from my experience with working with kids they are at their happiest when they have a choice in what they do.
Pros
Good induction into childcare
Cons
Long Hours
A really fun summer job if you are looking for work in the school holidays. The camps however, are poorly organised by management and never seem to be staffed adequately. Expect to turn up to your shift and be asked/told to journey somewhere else, to a camp that is understaffed. You will be asked/told to do this at the last minute, regardless of whether or not you have your own car, and irregardless of location and convenience!
The work itself is fun, your day is timetabled for you, and the kids are mostly great, with the occasional exception.
Cons
Long hours/low wages
I loved my internal recruitment role. My team and line manager were so supportive. We were all extremely close and met up after work and on weekends. The vibe in the office was friendly and exciting as every person working for Super Camps was young and bubbly!